1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Besides, never know when you'll need a dimensional portal.

Something else, indeed. Half-truths are great lies.

Like a blockchain connection, sort of?

Make sure they haven't blundered into another disaster, that sort of thing.

Unless you'd like to fling yourself into interdimensional space without protection.

Heh. Much better to have hands, yes.

Something in leather perhaps? With shoulder spikes and a black cape?

Ah, so it's not just the Justice league. She's going to learn the hard way to do so.

...And suddenly the title of the episode makes sense...

...Did you just leave her in a locked room? Ha! :p

Indeed!

How long has it been since he's just flown anywhere, I wonder?

Assuming there's no secret spy-software in this parallel's internet that immediately lets Batman know about certain search keywords.

Seriously, this is full-meme Batman. You know he's got plans within plans for this shit.
    (And trying a slightly different format. Looks a bit spaghetti-esque. Takes only slightly longer to write up...)

Godspeech:

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  2. Sceptic

Sceptic Critical Irrationalist

Clearly separated quotes and responses? Who are you and what have you done with the real Chojin? :p

Thanks, much more readable.

DAT_NOOB, Bramble Thorn, PDV and 7 others like this.
  3. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Grayven trapping Sunset. Not nice :D

Prince Charon likes this.
  4. topin89

topin89 Virgin Centrist

For all non-native speakers (and for some natives):

Bramble Thorn and Lord Ernest like this.
  5. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.
    Maybe.

6. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Indeed. I think in the morning, i'll go through and change my older posts to the same format. It won't matter much to us now, but it might make it easier on future readers.

DAT_NOOB and Sceptic like this.
  7. Vlad

Vlad I trust you know where the happy button is?

Everytime it gets brought up that RenePaul identity is being overwritten by Grayven the more it reminds me that this is one of my personal horror nightmares. Losing ones self-identity and sanity is a fear of mine.

8. Lord Ernest

Lord Ernest At the End...

Ah, Earth 50, easily Top 5 for arcs in this fic, those two chapters of Grayven's adventures in (semi-)dystopian DCAU. I was about to ask why Grayven didn't think to ask Lynne if she wanted to come, but then that sounds stupid, she doesn't have happy memories from this place and she's probably at school or something. Still, kind of cavalier for Grayven to not even think about bringing back up (or even his drones) to a place where he got nuked; but at the same time that's Grayven and I like him because he's like that.

By the way, I'm amazed, I did not know that's how it's supposed to be pronounced. I had seen the word, in context I understood what it meant, but through speak and what have you I thought they were using 'jail' all the time. Ah, English, you never cease to amaze me with your devious (and criminal) ways.

Ardy, RGFJ and DAT_NOOB like this.
  9. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

I believe that was one of renepauls fears aswell

Ardy likes this.
  10. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

Much more readable. Thanks.

11. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

How pissed and shocked are Stormwatch going to be when they find out they were built on a lie? Flash II is gonna have her confidence shattered, learning that Grayven and the Justice Lords were the ones to give her the formula, and Kara is gonna slug Dick for keeping his knowledge from the rest of them. Does Nightwing even know that the confrontation with Grayven was a sham?

Gantradies likes this.
  12. Jirachi

Jirachi I trust you know where the happy button is?

Is it just me or does Renegade put way more magic items in his subspace storage than Paul does? It's probably murder on his charge reserves...
    He's pointedly not thinking about darkseid and the possibility that he'll need it to run away from him if he attacks before he's ready, isn't he?
    Hope he gets around to awakening more of the Earth 50 supers, since it's always neat to see more gods up and about and Stormwatch for the moment is probably too small and weak to deal with some of the larger threats a super team on there level ends up dealing with.
    The whole thing with the portal seems like it would bait a reckless metaphysical transformation from her which *could* be genuinely dangerous in a way that he hasn't prepared for.

13. Mr Zoat

Not really. The SI's mage slayers are magic items. That particular restriction is only a big problem with really powerful items, not minor ones.
    He is going to Equestria in a few months.

14. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Lateral compared to any of the four standard dimensions. I thought that was well-implied by the reference to going to a different parallel.

For all we know, they DO happen very frequently. I specifically pointed out that the probability of it being a change that you would even notice would be very low -- the divergence could be somewhere you'll never perceive or interact with.

And everything around you IS slightly changing positions around you thousands of times per second. Most of the displacements are so small or so brief that your retinas can't resolve the difference. Our skin, however, IS capable of noticing it. We can't track the individual positions or timings, but we can tell it's happening. It feels like heat.

Put in quantum terms, it could also be said that we're entangled with multiple worldstates, and it's probabilistic which state propagates through our senses at any given time. (This description is actually true, by the way.) This would mean that you're not really teleporting between parallels, but rather you exist in both of them at once and the probabilities tipped at some point to make it most likely that you'd perceive a different one most often.

15. Jirachi

Doesn't Paul have all of the magic items that he carries around have a feature that makes them less draining to carry related to being 'off' when not in earth's magical fields? That definitely made it *seem* like it's somewhat larger than that.
    I'm curious about how the green light priests work in general, and particularily whether there are actual green light using mages in there order, more detail about the philosphies they teach and so on.
    It's a shame that Paul hasn't gotten much in space that will help the team or league...
    I sort of miss Paul's science and R&D interludes...

16. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

In that time period? Yes.

17. Mr Zoat

He may have. He may have.

I'm assuming that you're referring to a Word of Zoat I've long since forgotten here.
    No.
    Like a Lantern Corps?
    I'll try and put another one in this episode.

18. Jirachi

Yep, though I'm not sure how much of the rest of his stuff has that feature.
    Shame.
    I mean, they can *help*, but it's more about the helping them help themselves than anything. He mostly doesn't seem to have acquired anything that would help empower his teammates...
    Thanks!
    Did the Hawks ever end up upgunning?

Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
  19. thebishop8

thebishop8 Umm, ackchyually...

Here's the ones that were missed:
    I missed this one.

You missed this...

...and this.

Should be General, obviously.

Here's some more regular corrections:
    Either take out the 'if', or give the middle sentence ellipses.

Should that be 'than I'm used to'?

Not sure where this came from, it's fine on Sufficient Velocity, but it needs to be either 'killed your own' or 'sliced your own'. Both versions on SF are 'sliced you own'.

If the ring is transmitting the message directly into Paul's brain, shouldn't Amalak's text be orange?

Paul says he was hoping for more than an 'interesting', but the only word the Controller has said at that point is 'come'.

Should plane be planet?

The video is unavailable.

A space is between the period and end quotation mark.

I should stop coming up with explanations for contradictions so you'll be forced to come up with your own.

Well, while we're on the subject, he once planned to use Dolmen gates to store magic items instead of using subspace, but I'm pretty sure that never happened.

Though, that makes me wonder: If he put one end of a Dolmen gate into subspace, would he be able to access that pocket through the gate?

20. TheEyes

TheEyes Well worn.

What I thought was greatest about that bit was that Sunset was completely unsurprised that Grayven just left her in a locked room without a key or an unlock code or anything. She just immediately started working on picking the lock, without comment. Just shows the kind of relationship they have. :)

Vorian, Ngamer11, erebus1994 and 6 others like this.
  21. Mr Zoat

'Spaghetti posting' isn't banned on this site, and I'm having a little trouble working out which of my lines your lines are a response to.

The SI already has a massive database of alien technology. There isn't really anything -apart from Adam Blake's physiology or the psions' research on X'Hal- that he could get from space that he doesn't already have. The Earth already has better technology than almost everywhere else anyway, the problem is humans not using it.

Which Hawks?

22. Jirachi

Will try to do in the future.
    ...Sort of? Paul doesn't have access to anything like New God technology from the looks of it, and there's probably a lot that he could get out of original research in areas like glow tech (no ring / lantern glowtech, like the earmuff things that block focusing of desire), qwatech and magitech (though he'd probably have a hard time finding anyone who has expertise on magic in the vast majority of the universe).
    One of the things that Paul talked about during the Leagues performance review was that the Leagues hawks were just using nth metal melee weapons and nothing else. I don't *think* that they ended up doing anything there, since the 'honor duel' that hawkwoman had with Paul after Nabu seemed to just show her using those alone.

Ardy and infinityDivided like this.
  23. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

hell there are like five internet cafes in my city.

Bramble Thorn and DrThoth like this.
  24. Mr Zoat

As far as I remember, he mostly said that the Hawks should focus on the things covered by their pre-Earth background. That Hawkman should be more involved in criminal investigation and Hawkwoman should focus on space defences. Thanagar doesn't really have much in the way of low lethality weapons.

25. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

As someone who lives in Silicon Valley, I can confirm that preety much every Starbucks here has free internet access, and Starbucks is still literally everywhere. There are 3 within walking distance right now, and I’m in the suburbs. There’s other internet cafes too. Sometimes it seems everyone here literally lives off of overpriced coffee and students love the free internet.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2019
  26. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

There is like two left in my city but there used to be way more.

DAT_NOOB likes this.
  27. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

Mr Zoat

I have been reading through a few of the older updates and I wonder how Magnificus and Sunset are getting along after Grayven set them both up as being people that love intellectual challenges, and if in the Future incoming update when the Renegade goes to Wilson if Magnificus will be coming along as well, because Alicorn Grayven + Pegasus Magnificus (I guess the Danner formula would count for a lot, but not enough to be an Alicorn... Also since he isn't a practitioner of magic being an Unicorn wouldn't make sense... I guess he could be a simple earth pony, but that sounds fairly pedestrian to him) in Wilson would be a fairly funny and interesting chapter.

Ardy and Cuchulin like this.
  28. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Isn’t he dead?

29. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

He is the only Sivana that survived... Because he was late.

Ardy, DAT_NOOB and Prince Charon like this.
  30. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

Also because Grayven wasn't dating Beautia.

DAT_NOOB and Cuchulin like this.