1. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Welcome back to QQ. The search function will be unavailable for some hours until the index has been rebuilt.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Gantradies

Gantradies Not too sore, are you?

...you know,when you think about it,the thing about the Mystery men is....
    their powers actually WEREN'T that bad- they were just tricky to apply, or being used in the wrong way-
    Shoveler (if nothing else, he had genuine heroic spirit- give him some training and gear...)/the bowler aside..
    the spleen- well, as toilet-humory as his ability is, its tailor made for either group/crowd dispersion, or disoriententing/incapacitating opponents non lethally-
    the Blue Raja, if he dropped the fork thing, with that force and accuracy? he'd... be quite scary, as non-flying brick-type opponents/combatants go- he's basically "young bullseye",admittedly minus the CIP, and without his sadism/psychopathy making him stop to gloat/hurt instead of going for the vitals/tendons instantly all the time.

when he stopped trying to force his rage-induced superstrength,and actually got genuinely, righteously ANGRY about something, Mister Furious was actually...surprisingly impressive on several levels for a B-c level super-vigilante early in his career -
    genuinely decent enhanced strength-especially considering his opponent was pretty damn decent in a fight- and he didn't showboat.....AND actually had a decent, basic knowledge of barroom/backstreet-style hand to hand combat- he just went for simple, reliable hits/blows that essentially ALL are great at hurting/dazing a human opponent- with more than human force/endurance behind them...
    and the ability to be "invisible when no-on is watching (but it totally works on -any- form of electronic surveillance) ", well- thats the potential for the words greatest cat-burgler/art thief/infiltration agent...

2. Bomaz

Bomaz Getting out there.

Can someone remind me. What upgrade of Beatriz is Paul thinking about?

3. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

Bewbs.

4. Grimnar

Grimnar Versed in the lewd.

I think he got her trained with Supergirl.

Cuchulin likes this.
  5. Lucidum

Lucidum Verifiably Bored

I really have to appreciate this whole scenario that Mr.Zoat has written up.

You could probably sway the argument either side if you tried hard enough, but I personally think that those who want to exert their power without wanting nor knowing the reasoning behind their enemies and actively planned on destroying the homes of millions along with the infrastructure is at best to me a child throwing a tantrum.

A few hundred people are deciding the fate of the South American continent or at least a good chunk of it and aren't doing the research to see how they're going to impact the citizens just doesn't sit fundamentally right with me, though I suppose it's also because I'm a bit a technophile so I could be a bit biased in that sense.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
  6. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare I trust you know where the happy button is?

I really like Rocket here.

It feels like she is confronting her own preconceived notions in this arc, from her instinctive disgust of Ubergirl to the narrative of the poor oppressed fighting th evil state and she is doing so calmly and rationally.

7. Enochi

Enochi Know what you're doing yet?

Hmm. I would probably go start prepping bombers with nerve gas bombs myself. Brazil has a duty to protect its citizens. And frankly the tribes are threatening a awful lot of civilians even if they strictly stick to just "Government" targets. How flame retardant is Danner?

Also "Paragon" Paul reminds me again why I hate him. What a complete asshole. Also Brazil "officially" stopped their nuclear program in the 90s. I'm not sure they wouldn't have a few squirreled away in an emergency. Also Brazil has the 9th largest economy in the world they could probably pay for a LOT of lextech gear that could go toe to toe with Danner enhanciles. Also China likes to make inroads I could see them offering military aid.

Also a 'simple' solution is to just napalm suspected village locations. As long as they are remotely close it becomes an issue for the tribes to deal with. Actually pretty much regardless its an issue for the tribes to deal with. While setting the rain-forest on fire will earn condemnation Brazil is going to have to fight very unconventionally.

RagnarokAscendant and Navi-Hank like this.
  8. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare I trust you know where the happy button is?

Oh also we've seen little of Angelika and I can't wait to see her reaction to this because it is, hilariously enough, right up her angle: a group of "clearly superior" people taking what they want, by her believe system that should be fine and dandy, right? But they are going against the state. Against authority and the status quo.

9. Slayer Anderson

Slayer Anderson Orthodox Heretic

Has Paul discussed the expansion plans the tribes have with the Justice League? Or Brazil? Because it seems like they planned to absorb a lot of territory from other nations as well.

That would make this the kind of international incident the Justice League is guaranteed to get involved in.

Or is Paul hoping that he can stop this from escalating into a total war between a small army of super-humans and the entire Justice League?

10. Vaermina

Vaermina Versed in the lewd.

You know it's ironic, after all the grief Paul gave people about being face punchers, he's basically made himself into someone who can only solve things through brute force solutions.

11. Redhawk

Redhawk Getting out there.

How do you mean? This whole arc he’s been going out of his way to get these people into peaceful negotiations. If anyone can just eradicate the Accala it’s Paul and he won’t even mind control them to buy time. Come to think of it I don’t think he’s been in a fight since that thing with the fairies.

12. Aeess

Aeess I trust you know where the happy button is?

The gave her access to a spell developed by Atlantean mages based on Supergirls fire magic.

Ardy, Cuchulin, DrThoth and 1 other person like this.
  13. hance1986

hance1986 Not too sore, are you?

She's also refusing super powers because they would mess with her piercings. Icon is far more practical.

14. Steelplaza

Steelplaza Custom Title

This isn't directly related to this update, but I would like to point out that if "Iron Munroe" was a fake we now have exactly zero documented cases of a Danner Enhancile fathering or bearing a child and no idea how or if the enhancement is passed down.

Presumably this is a question the Accala tribe should be able to answer, and I hope that they do sometime soon. It would be a shame if OL is handing out Danner enhancement right and left and while unknowingly making people infertile or drastically reducing their ability to have children or making it so it's impossible for a Danner enchancile woman to carry a child to term unless the fetus is also treated with the serum (to name a few of the possibilities I can think of).

15. Maxx Crowley

Maxx Crowley I trust you know where the happy button is?

Also, another thought if the Danners and Brazil go to war. If things start to go badly for Brazil, and lets say no one else steps in to help them, who is the first group they are going to look into hiring?

Super-Villains.

Super-Villains who, because of the desperation, would pretty much be given carte blanche to do whatever they'd have to do to win for the government.

Lex obviously would be getting a call. Which....well this could lead to the Light getting more pull. Satanius and his demons, demonic magic, and the like against the Danners. A whole jungle consumed in hellfire.

Sounds like quite a party when I think of it.

16. jasonh23761

jasonh23761 Making the rounds.

I'm now split between wanting and not wanting to see that happen now that you've mentioned it.

Ardy and Navi-Hank like this.
  17. david

david Making the rounds.

As many people have pointed out, your strategy would likely lead to more civilian deaths than going for the tribes first offer and letting poverty and mass migration take its toll. Your plan is to try and find nomadic tribes who don’t use vehicles in a 5.5 million km2 rainforest. Even indiscriminate napalm, nerve gas, and nuclear strikes (ignoring the fact that the government in charge of making that decision would be blamed for the apocalyptic consequences even if it would have worked) is incredibly unlikely to wipe out all the tribes or even most of them. Then while the massive riots are going on because people will rightfully think you’re crazy, a few groups of Danner enhanciles get to the biggest cities in the country and raze them to the ground unless you smother the cities in napalm first.

18. rdfox

rdfox Getting sticky.

I seem to recall a pre-Flashpoint (possibly even pre-Infinite Crisis) DC book mentioning that the DEO had determined that about 1% of all humans in the DCU had some form of metahuman power, ranging from your potentially apocalyptic-level threats like Superman (and let's face it, if he did ever go rogue, the potential consequences... yeah), all the way down to what they termed "nuisance-level" metahumans, many of whom had either useless powers (like "for some reason, his skin is green, but that's it" or "her hair grows at a rate of a quarter-inch an hour--but it's just ordinary hair") or didn't even know about their powers--with the latter one being exemplified, in the book, by "that little old lady in Arizona with the power to pick winning lottery numbers."

Yes, it is (or at least was) DC canon that there's a metahuman out there whose only power is always having the winning ticket when she plays Powerball.

IIRC, they also said that 99% of all metahumans had nuisance-level powers, and of that 1% who had stronger powers, less than 1% of those were powerful enough to be any sort of truly serious concern, with less than 1% of those wielding Superman-tier power. Which works out to, worldwide, about 80 million metahumans, about 800,000 of whom have beyond-nuisance powers, about 8000 with significant powers... and about 80 with your Superman-tier powers. Or, for the US, about 3 million metahumans, 30,000 beyond nuisance-level, 300 with signifcant powers, and three on Superman's level. Going by averages, obviously--the distribution clearly isn't equal at the highest power levels, simply due to the small sample size.

In other words, standard operating procedure for diplomacy.

19. ForeverShogo

ForeverShogo Not too sore, are you?

Given what's at stake, people might not think they're that crazy if Brazil gets desperate enough.

And I wouldn't compare the tribal alliance to NATO. At least NATO is just supposed to be a defensive pact. The tribes are basically demanding that they be allowed to destroy South America as we know it or they'll go on a campaign of terror and bloodshed until they get to do it anyways.

They're supervillainous terrorists. No amount of semantics or mental gymnastics is going to change that. Them having a small army of Danner Enhanciles just means you'd have to resort to more extreme measures than usual to deal with them. Measures that some probably wouldn't think is worth it.

Though with the schizo tech of the DC universe . . . It might not be as hard to find these tribes and hit them with surgical strikes as people might thing. Like, what you'd have to do to find these people in real life would be fucking nuts. But do we really not think that Lexcorp or some other motherfuckers don't have some ridiculous "perfectly scan for humans, even in the jungle" tech?

20. NullVoid

NullVoid Getting out there.

It's a bit more complicated than that. There's a law that gives natives special rights, with the most going towards isolated tribes and those that choose not to integrate with society. Adjunct laws that would regulate everything have been stalled in congress for decades, but as things stand nowadays these tribal members cannot be arrested by the police, and in some cases specific individuals managed to get away with murder.

Nice idea with the supervillain option, but I doubt that demonic pacts would work. The population is too religious for that, and the evangelical vote is pretty important in terms of actually winning elections.

AtomicGeneral25, Ardy and Navi-Hank like this.
  21. Maxx Crowley

Who said anything about asking?

Like seriously...if they hit the threshold where they have to reach out to super-villains do you really think they are even considering what the church fucks want? If they are about to get their entire country smashed by a bunch of Super powered Zealots that they can't fight, does what the polls say really matter?

Also, a government doing shady shit that their populace wouldn't like behind their backs? Holy shit, yeah because that could NEVER happen. It happens every day, in every country on earth.

Or that the entire point of my point is Super-villains will take shit to the extreme, breaking any shackles that were feebly put upon them, and just do whatever the fuck they want anyway?

Also? Secret clandestine organizations like the Light are at least somewhat good at, you know, being covert. If Satanius and such are brought in, do you really think Lex is going to introduce him to Brazil's leaders like "Oh yeah, and here is my coworker Demon MacHellguy."?

22. fluffy

fluffy Getting sticky.

Well I wouldn't say she's calm but she's definitely rationally thinking about it.

23. Darko

Darko Experienced.

Satanus is in prison right now.

Ardy likes this.
  24. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

Yes, we probably can pseudo track them with our current satellites (IF US secret capabilities are around what some believe they are) so DC earth would have a much easier time of it.

In regards to the people saying the tribes have the upper hand because they are a nomadic tribe of super strong people you are wrong. Aside terrorists strikes on civilian targets (because you can't defend them all) all you need to stand up to them is a quick response team on stand by 24/7 with the ability to be deployed quickly through teleportation tech (Dolmen gates affixed in paradrop planes, Zeta tube network), add to that equipment like Cold guns, plasma lances and power armor and you can already contest them, give your power armored troops gratious amounts of biological and chemical weapons (they still need to breathe and their senses CAN be overwhelmed just as anything else) and you can kill them whenever they attack faster than they would be able to recover their numbers from.

Yes, those are thing these countries can't do right now, but its something they can prepare in just a few months with some international support, so stalling its to their advantage.

'Small army of super powered people want to take over' is one of those scenarios the big countries would have prepared plans to deal with, and in this situation they get the opportunity to test their technologies and theories without taking any risk to themselves as they earn money and the gratitude of a whole continent on the side, its a great opportunity and not even the extremely bipolar USA wouldn't take advantage off it, no matter how the citizenry would be clamoring to "leave the natives alone" even more so because the US is part of the countries that has a disadvantaged minority of natives that may be inspired by the success of the Accala IF they were to succeed... With is why they won't.

25. Maxx Crowley

Is he? I honestly don't remember that.

Either way, prison breaks in a comic-verse aren't exactly super challenging to pull off.

Still, even without him around, my point stands.

And Fuck, now that reminds me of Lex cutting deals with Darkseid.

Cuchulin, Darko and Navi-Hank like this.
  26. NeoDarklight

NeoDarklight The Final Observer

People keep saying that the Amazon is the largest oxygen producing region on the planet. What most people don’t realize is that it’s also the largest oxygen consuming region on the planet as well, to the point where it’s ultimately oxygen neutral. What makes the rainforest so important isn’t the oxygen it produces, but the clouds it produces above the treetops. These clouds flow in a seemingly endless river towards mountains, whereupon they release their load of H2O, forming actual rivers that carry the minerals and nutrients in the mountains out to sea, where they are consumed by oxygen-producing microorganisms. That’s where the majority of Earth’s oxygen comes from. That’s why the rainforest is so important.

Now, if only the Accala understood this, then they’d have a better position to negotiate on the international stage. And also get them some knowledge beyond “Rainforest good for environment, logging bad for us”.

rdfox, Ngamer11, Cuchulin and 8 others like this.
  27. jonasquinn

jonasquinn I trust you know where the happy button is?

The major differences there are that the UN doesn't demand near total control over an entire continent with the intention of destroying all its industry and forcing out hundreds of millions of people

Also, if the tribes are considered countries that are allied with each other then it isn't an internal matter either, basically there is absolutely no way that the League doesn't get involved no matter how you paint it

Even if everyone in the world has a collective stroke and decides for some god forsaken reason that it is an internal matter it's only a matter of time before the UN makes an amendment to the charter that says the League can get involved in internal affairs if he country in question asks for help and the security council decides that the consequences of not interfering are too dire

Because again, hundreds of millions of people being displaced and multiple countries being removed from the global economy are things that would change the world forever

Ngamer11, Cuchulin, DAT_NOOB and 6 others like this.
  28. Coda

Coda I trust you know where the happy button is?

Accalas', just like yesterday.

British English every once in a while produces something that seriously sets off my pedant impulse while being completely correct in context.

probable

guesstimated (neologism though it may be, it actually does have a defined spelling)

This is a reasonably good argument for not letting players pick their own numbers and requiring that tickets always be randomly generated.

29. zerofarad

zerofarad Know what you're doing yet?

reasonably probable?

30. Enochi

Enochi Know what you're doing yet?

The point isn't to hit the tribes. The point is to show mutually assured destruction. The tribes want to save the rain forest as it is their home. The government showing that it can cause huge damage if it needs too. (The tribes would be forced to at least somewhat focus on containing the blaze.) The tribes at this point can also do huge amounts of damage to Brazil as well. Neither can really defend against the other.

Cuchulin, Navi-Hank and Ardy like this.