1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. The Froggy Ninja

The Froggy Ninja The Blade Will Never Die

This seems morally ambiguous at best. They have a powerful tool for curse breaking but they won’t use it to help break someone’s curse unless they do crimes first? Who’s the real villain here?

oct9010, Caerwen, Vorian and 6 others like this.
  2. doug89

doug89 Versed in the lewd.

Ring. Scan every book in the Canterlot library.

By your command.

"If reading 'Canterlot Castle: A History, Volume Two' was enough to get Sunset exiled, surely this is the most evil act ever committed in Equestria."

3. Orabilis

Orabilis Vidi, Vici, Veni

That seems likely. I think perhaps the best way I have seen in media to represent depression to emotionally immature individuals is [WARNING: SAD FEELS & HORSE DEATH] The Swamps of Sadness from the Neverending Story. It's not perfect obviously but I think it would be valuable in communicating the severity of the problem to these dumb horses, especially since Artax is a horse.

In fact the whole of The Neverending Story 1 is an allegory for depression and hopelessness, even if the audience is too immature to understand it.

4. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

I'm going to be generous and assume that Celestia had the archives warded.

5. Diraniola

Diraniola I trust you know where the happy button is?

Forget conquest, Graven is the New God of Ham

6. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Zoat are we going to find out what the renegades cutie mark is?

Alexandercctv likes this.
  7. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Chrysalis

The joke works better if you spell it as "Cheatham" because that's an actual name.

I find it quite amusing how many people on that list are politicians... nominative determinism?

8. thebishop8

thebishop8 Umm, ackchyually...

Should the full stop after "sprout" be a comma?

9. Mr Zoat

Yes, either at the end of this episode or the begining of the next. Feel free to guess in the mean time.
    Thank you, corrected.

10. Nervaqus987

Nervaqus987 Well worn.

The Life Equation isn't actually New 52.

The basic backstory is that the Martians had a philosophy based on the Life Equation which Darkseid learned about(somehow). He then postulated that if there's a Life Equation proving that Free Will and Happiness and all that other stuff exists and is worthwhile, then there must be an Anti Life Equation that proves the opposite.

Because comics.

Then years later, New 52 happened and did New 52 things to it.

dogbertcarroll, nobodez, Ardy and 6 others like this.
  11. hkim

hkim Know what you're doing yet?

He's just blending in with the MLP-verse, prancing and all. The question is how much of that is on purpose.

12. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

And Highfather called the Source the Life Equation back in the New Gods series oh back in the eighties I think.

And Shilo Normon was told by Metron that a Life Equation exists.

13. zerofarad

zerofarad Know what you're doing yet?

No, that's just the only thing where the magic of friendship requires special artifacts to pivot it into a different domain. It can act on depression the same way it acts on bad weather or a bad haircut: via your pony friends.

14. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Yeah the comics are really inconsistent in what the equations are, in some comics they allow mind control while in others full on reality warping, though Highfather thinking the white light is the Life Equation makes sense seeing as it embodies life and logically could be used to fight the Anti-Life.

I'm pretty sure that if the OLC is going to try to gain access to the white light in order to make the construct lanterns into people.
    How they are going to combine the seven lights i don't know.
    They have orange,blue,green and i guess they either make contact with the Indigo Tribe or some of the other Maltusians decide they want to make power rings too and figure out how to do it from the indigo ring fragments OL brought them, Kalmin can probably make a red ring by himself and they have contact with the Zamarons.
    And finally for the yellow either when OL destroyed that religion to get Kalmin the hope he needs to forge a blue lantern Kalmin could have collected the fear of the priests who were killed as well as the fear the worlds populace felt when the religion was butchered, even if most people hated the faith having it suddenly be destroyed like that can make several people fearful, or they make contact with Sinestro.

Zoat when is paragon going to meet Sinestro?

What are Georgia and Dox doing now that they can talk?
    Any potential for a romance there?

Ardy and Navi-Hank like this.
  15. Mr Zoat

Either during the last year, or sooner.
    Science.
    It's not... Impossible.

16. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Spoken like a true author.

Bramble Thorn, Ardy, Cuchulin and 3 others like this.
  17. Mr Zoat

No, it's just that a thing happens in the last year that requires them to assemble a 'perfect circle'. But actually, they go after Sinestro earlier than that. So... 2013? Maybe? I'm not sure. I've got the event planned but I haven't picked a year for it to occur in.

Ngamer11, Bramble Thorn, Ardy and 6 others like this.
  18. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

Grayven is the new god of conquest

Graven is the new god of ham

19. Siskulous

Siskulous Know what you're doing yet?

I have my doubts that Discord is powerful enough to do that.

MLP in general seems to me a very black and white kind of verse. As in the good guys are really, really good and the bad guys are really, really evil. Dropping a character as gray as Grayven into that place was bound to make for some awkwardness.

Cuchulin, Caerwen and Navi-Hank like this.
  20. The Froggy Ninja

The Froggy Ninja The Blade Will Never Die

I don’t see what’s gray about wanting a curse broken with the best curse breaking tools.

21. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

You know what Grayven could try? Since the Anti-life is all about order, and it’s a math equation, which also depends on order existing, just ask Discord to use his chaos powers on it. Heck, anti-life is very similar to the effects of what Discord did in the comics when he saw a stellar conjunction or something and became Accord. He’s also been shown to be able to fuck with math and physics.

22. lefthandturnsignal

lefthandturnsignal Making the rounds.

Pretty sure Discord in this setting is just a lord of chaos. So I don't think he has enough mojo to do what you need without some serious soul ripping side effects. He could probably do something, but that's something is probably a different Grayven for every color plus anti-life Grayven, and that just sounds like a bad time.

Cuchulin and Navi-Hank like this.
  23. Mr Zoat

He's also been shown fading out of existence if he becomes too orderly.

24. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Yeah, but again, that particular comic had him under some sort of celestial spell to become Accord and represent order - he use brainwashing on everyone and basically anti-lifes Equestria into mindless drones while doing so.

Pinklestia, Cuchulin and Navi-Hank like this.
  25. Threadmarks: Old World Dudes
    Mr Zoat

Mid-summer, 2279
    Morning

I've never really been a sunny weather person.

No. No, that's not true. From what I remember of my early childhood, I enjoyed trips to the beach or to Eastbourne's parks during the long summer holiday. But the older I got, the more I came to dislike the high heats of summer and appreciated the more clement weather of autumn.

And now here I am, in the middle of summer, in a desert, under a near-cloudless sky, with only loose robes and a two hundred year old fedora shielding me from the baking heat. And I'm.. actually happy. I mean, I've sort of believed that the human brain wasn't really designed to cope with the society we'd built for ourselves for a while, but I'm still surprised by exactly how much happier I've become since… Not exactly 'downshifting', but… Embracing a more 'simple' way of life.

There's no internet in post-apocalyptic Nevada. No television. Only two or three radio stations, and most of the time you're lucky if you can get good reception on one. Consumer culture? When I arrived, the people here were happy that they could just about produce enough food for everyone. As Moist von Lipwig said in Making Money, you can't eat gold.

And now, things are going to get a little more complicated.

I glance back at the perimeter wall protecting our 'capital'. Most of it predates the war which burned the world, something I find jolly impressive. The material we've used to patch the places where it's crumbled away is a good deal less resilient, but to a casual observer it makes it look continuous. Not that I think we'll need it, but…

The robe standing next to me flaps slightly. "They're coming."

I don't respond out loud, but nod and begin walking through the open gate to greet our visitors. The robe appears to believe that is the correct course of action as well, and jerkily follows me. As I pass through I glance back at the fortified gatehouse and make momentary eye contact with Keanan. He isn't happy about me going out like this, and he's even less happy about leaving the gate open with a potentially hostile force in the area. We compromised on laying a mix of plasma and fragmentation mines just inside the entrance, but… If this goes badly I very much doubt that they'll be useful.

Looking out across the shimmering salt flats, I can just about make out the plumes of dust being thrown up by the wheels of the oncoming vehicles. An obvious drawback of living in such a well-known pre-war site is that anyone with a map knows where it is. Around here, pre-war military bases are often treasure-troves of valuable weapons and other equipment, and with our nearest civilised neighbours being hard-pressed by one of their less pleasant neighbours it only makes sense for them to come and have a look.

Hm. Let's see. Our wall-guns are in perfect working order. They probably won't expect that, but they will almost certainly assume that at least some of them will be working. We could hit them with lasers from here, and that's… Something they know. Which means that the two-. No, three trucks that I can see, are the advanced scouts. The officer in charge -and if we're lucky, the civilian government representative- will be back behind the ridgeline, out of sight and out of range.

I pick up the pace a little, my left hand reaching for the small ring which hangs from a thong around my neck. An orange power ring. Fully functional when I arrived, I've long since expended all of its power. The tribe accepted me as one of them when I used it to open up the high security areas of the base which had remained inviolate for two hundred years, and… I'm grateful that its power allowed me to survive the fallout from that. But again, I don’t miss it. It was useful while it lasted, but I simply didn't have it for long enough to get really attached.

The trucks are closer now, and from the way the dust plumes are getting smaller I'm going to guess that they're slowing down. I release my ring and hold out my hands to either side so that they can see that I'm if not unarmed then at least I'm not carrying a weapon in my hands right now. Then there's another plume as two of the trucks turn off, one moving to the north and the other to the south. The remaining truck accelerates once again, moving towards us at speed.

Ah, yes. On the canvas sides of the two trucks which turned away I can just about make out the two-headed bear symbol of the New California Republic. The fact that the New California Republic is sending an emissary here isn't surprising. If anything, it's odd that they've taken this long to get around to it. We're only about a hundred miles from their capital Shady Sands here, but without satellites or aircraft I suppose it's not all that easy for them to scout us out. And of course they've had their own, more urgent problems.

Once we reach a decent distance from the gates I stop and patiently wait for them to reach us. And I make a point of not paying undue attention to the grey-coated figure who jumps out of the back of the northern truck and sets up what I'm sure is a sniping gun of some sort. My tribe doesn't make much use of projectile weapons. Making gunpowder is awkward, let alone forging bullets for them. And since the pre-war garrison here was mostly armed with laser weapons anyway…

The truck pulls to a stop about five metres away, whereupon it stops and the squad of lightly equipped soldiers in the back pile out. They don't point their weapons at us-. Well, most of them don't and the one who does gets glared at by his NCO until he stops.

I nod politely as the NCO walks closer, his gun at rest across his chest. "You drew the short straw, huh?"

I smile. "I volunteered, yes."

His brow twitches as he hears my accent. I suppose that he might never have heard one quite like it. It's not that strange, but most tribes in this region have a similar general sound, even if their specific modes of expression vary from tribe to tribe.

"My name is Sergeant Mitchell, and I'm part of the Second Infantry Company of the New California Republic. You know what the NCR is?"

Which isn't nearly as insulting a question as it sounds. News travels slowly around here, and we trade mostly with tribes to the south, rather than the NCR proper to the west or the Rangers to the north-west. There isn't a lot of traffic -none at all, actually- and our only real contact with the NCR comes via the occasional visit to New Vegas.

"Yes, I know the NCR. My name is Krono." Well. It isn't. But even now I can't say my actual name so why worry about it? Though maybe next time I won't ask a five year old to select my nom de guerre.

"Mm. And who's yer friend?"

"This-" I glance at him. "-is Goris. He's a bit shy around new people."

"He armed?"

"He's not carrying any weapons." I smile. "How can I help the NCR?"

"We've heard that there's a raider tribe livin' in this area, a nasty bunch callin' themselves the Sky Reavers. You know anythin' about them?"

Ah, that's how they're going to play this. It's a little sad that even after the Bitter Springs Massacre the NCR seems to have trouble telling tribals apart.

"I suppose you could say that I'm the tribe's leader. Now, anyway."

He nods in satisfaction. "Well that saves us a whole lot of time. You know what the NCR does to raiders?"

"The tribe's raiding behaviour was a result of an unfortunate mental illness that afflicted the tribe's then-leaders. Since I took over, we've been making amends with those among our neighbours who we've attacked. Feel free to confirm that with your contacts in Ashton."

He nods noncommittally. "Yeah, we'll do that. What kinda mental illness did they have?"

What should I call it? The NCR doesn't use mystics, and if you haven't seen that sort of thing in action there's an understandable tendency for people to be sceptical.

"They claimed they could hear whispers from the sky, ordering them to conquer and destroy the wasteland's other inhabitants. The whole tribe ended up praying to the 'Sky Lords' at their behest."

Which is true, though a massive oversimplification. A more complete explanation would mention that the more sensitive settlers had been badly affected by the zetan neurotropic initiator that the pre-war researchers were playing with in the basement, developing minor psychic powers while becoming completely obsessed with getting into the high security areas. When I turned up with a power ring they glommed onto me at once, believing that I was the solution they'd been praying to their alien gods for. I didn't realise exactly how crazy they were until later. The fragmented alien computers might have been able to resist American researchers before the war, but they couldn't stop an orange power ring wielded by a desperate man.

"But they don’t do that no more?"

"I.. was forced to kill most of them. The survivors decided to see things my way. They still believe in the Sky Lords, but they now think that they're evil."

"Heh." He nods. "Alright, Ambassador Granger's gunna be negotiating a settlement on behalf of the NCR. You alright to meet him?"

"Certainly."

"Okay." He turns back to the truck. "Lenny! Signal forward base! Tell 'em we got someone to negotiate for the Sky Reavers!"

"Yes Sergeant!"

"Oh, ah, Sergeant? The tribe isn't called that any more."

He turns back to me. "Oh yeah? What's it called now, then?"

"The Sky Walkers."

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
  26. thebishop8

thebishop8 Umm, ackchyually...

Should "copy" be "cope"?

Broken link.

27. Razorfloss

Razorfloss I trust you know where the happy button is?

Well that would have been an interesting fic all by itself to bad it's only a snippet however I Anit going to lie I rolled my eyes at the sky walker name

28. Shotiegun11

Shotiegun11 Know what you're doing yet?

"Who are you?"

"I'm Krono. Krono Sky Walker."

Edit: So does he have a ring? And a way to recharge it? Or will that be answered in the next segment?

Reading is hard

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
  29. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    Try now.

30. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

Well played.