1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Hmm... Not the core Marvel timeline, that's 616... 'Earth Mightiest Heroes', am I right?
    (Edit: Ninja'd several times over. The joy of working the way I do.)

Who knows how he might react to seeing clearly super-human people, especially a particularly Aryan-looking Nordic God. Might well go out through the wall.

"Oh, please. Don't you like being spanked?"

<sigh> Temperamental as ever.

You know, you've got to wonder just how the Erskine Formula pulled this little stasis trick...

He's looking damn fine. Remember that moment in the movie where Peggy reaches out to touch the brand-new abs without even thinking? Yum.

Yes, Thank you, Ring. Definitely something about the Erskine Formula...

And he's waking up. At least you're not trying the 'recorded baseball game' gambit... I don't think you'd pull off the nurses outfit either.:p

Stand well clear. Swinging limbs may cause significant injury.

It's like unloading a gun. Sensible when you need to keep it secure...

Fast talking mode engage. Or maybe 'Classic British politeness.'

"It's the lab coat, isn't it? I told Mister Stark it was the wrong cut. Still could have been a cross-fastened smock..."

Yes, slowly, no sudden movements. Let's not put him into Flight mode, much less fight mode.

Natural assumption,certainly...

I don't think he's worried about a simple cold. Ever heard of Deep Vein Thrombosis?

Not giving his middle name?

Hardly a secret, certainly.

Well, you've been a good...

,,,Dangit, beaten to the pun!

I'm sure Cap understands. He's done his share of covert and deep-deniability operations.

There's really over eight hundred avenues in Manhattan?

Whoops. Might have pushed a little hard. He's still in 'not sure if friendly custody' mode.

Not shown, Cap leaping out a tenth-story window and fighting across the tarmac until Giant-man steps on him. He was unhurt by that, too.

Hmm... Leg? Possibility of the Winter Soldier having a prosthetic leg, as well as an arm?

In terms of seniority, he probably outranks all other American military commanders short of the President himself...

I bet his eyebrows went up at that.

Seriously, did Erskine pull some alchemical tricks there or something?

Admittedly, the chances of finding him are slim, given the Red Room's security.

Stop dancing around the issue and tell him...

Ol' Snikt-Bub? I didn't know he was in this universe. Then again, Mr Zoat isn't limited to what appears on-screen.

"A school for quite... Gifted youngsters, if you would. He hardly seems the type, I know. Physical Education, I understand."

Better than crashing a Quinjet, as AtomicGeneral25's video showed.

"You've been asleep for quite a while, general Rogers..."

Yes, I can imagine the skyline looks like something out of Amazing Stories to him.

And bomb dropped. Be ready to slip that ring on, Paul...

He merely looks into the distance wistfully. "...I had a date..."

Well, we finally get to see this version, after several teases over the years. I do wonder what else he's been up to around the Marvel universe. No maltusians to approach about forming a Corps. I doubt the Celestials would be interested, though the Xandarians might, if they didn't already have the Nova Corps.

2. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

No, Wolverine was in it.

3. Sceptic

Sceptic Critical Irrationalist

"All of your favourite references to popular culture will be out of date."

4. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Huh. Never seen the show, so I'm surprised they got any X-Men characters involved. That must have been a licensing tangle...
    Then again... Animation is probably covered by separate licenses to live-action film...

5. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

I give it a year till Doom steals and causes the destruction of his Power Ring.

Well, assuming he survives Graviton.

6. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

You should, EMH is amazing. It's at least as good as Young Justice and - aside from the heroes being adults - follows a similar Adaptation Stew approach to the world.

Wolverine's appearance was late in the second season; as with everything good it had to be killed. The first one and two-thirds or so seasons had heavy story arcs and deep, sometimes dark explorations of the Marvel universe; it was at that point though that they handed production over to Man of Action, which should have been good since they had a proven record with good cartoons (the original Ben 10 and the criminally underrated Generator Rex). Unfortunately the chap they put in charge declared that kids don't understand continuity and immediately switched to an Adventure of the Week format.

It was still quite good though, up until the very end of S2 where - the series being good, it had to die, of course - it was canned in favor of the much less worthy But It's More Like The Movies!!! Avengers Assemble, and the final episode had Suddenly Galactus and it really showed it was a rushed Big Ending.

(They had intended for at least three seasons: season one's subject was 'Earth'; season two's, 'Space'; and season 3 was planned to be 'Magic', implying Doctor Strange and possibly Surtur...)

7. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey I trust you know where the happy button is?

Steam trains exist in the setting. Ergo, industrial-level steel production is a thing. Once that exists, getting a hold of some sheets of scrap metal is easy.

In some of Piers Anthony's books, he handles the issue by making magic itself sort of sapient, only with very little will of it's own. Like a supercomputer that handles all magical aspects. It makes magical constructs and such act sapient the way a writer makes the characters in a book act sapient.

8. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

Pretty sure I had one of those a few years ago, I remember the doctor telling me it was most likely due partly to a large tumor pinching my left femoral vein or something like that. Of course I nearly bleed to death internally because they were treating both at the same time, but what ever.
    Anyway they are pretty dangerous less because you could loose a limb due to blockage than part of the clot coming lose and traveling to your brain or lungs.

9. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

The Super soldier serum is impressive stuff.

People tend to forget that it's a smart drug too.

Steve can learn faster, think faster, and remember with photographic accuracy.

A later derivative of the Super Solder experiment turned regular guy Trenton Craft into a telekinetic capable of manipulating subatomic particles and walking away after his own autopsy.

I believe that if a supersoldier has inherent powers to begin with, that the supersoldier serum enhances those too.

Masterman was superhumanly strong and could fly after his dose of the Nazi supersoldier serum.

In Mutant X, the mutant Captain America was "capable of reducing the USA to rubble singlehandedly" powerful- superhuman strength and resistance to injury, growing like Giant Man, force fields and energy blasts, and telepathy. It took Beyonder/Maddie "Goblyn Queen" Pryor to put him down.

10. Valiran

Valiran Seeker of fluffiness

I blame the Nyxverse for putting that image in my head.

I imagine that Zoat plans on writing Celestia as a reasonable ruler who just happens to have flaws, so I doubt that she’ll just wave her hoof to make all the consequences disappear, especially when the issues with Spike are her fault in the first place. She’s going to help her student and her friends out of this mess and take responsibility for her mistakes, not shirk her responsibility.

...okay then, new plan! Wait for Celestia to get back, explain what’s wrong with Grayven to her, and have her weave the most powerful psychic defensive spells she can around him.

Then have him demonstrate precisely what the Anti-Life Equation is to her so she fully appreciates the magnitude of what she’s dealing with.

11. TheMidnightRook

TheMidnightRook Well worn.

It's Marvel, and the trope is called Wolverine Publicity for a reason.

12. Gantradies

Gantradies Not too sore, are you?

.... wait, the wizarding world in general, or the goblins?

i mean, if absolutely nothing else, STEALING the engine that became the hogwarts express (and likely destroying the lives/careers of the people at the workshop who they left unable to answer the obvious questions about an entire, expensive locomotive vanishing overnight),
    their HORRIFIC sapient-rights abuse records, including subjecting thousands/millions of other humans to a dangerously defective memory alteration method that can, and has, caused irreparable brain/personality damage, unlawful surveillance of minors without consent, blatant, systematic corruption of the legal system,something like....
    i dont even know how many technical acts of war against mundane England alone....

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
  13. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Problem is, it’s usually a lot less complicated - he sues the Wizard world / manipulative Dumbledore / the weasleys using the wizarding world’s own system (which obviously wouldn’t work). I think the only time I’ve seen suing the wizarding world in a mundane context being going to the queen of England or something.

ChestBurster, Cuchulin and Navi-Hank like this.
  14. Mr Zoat

Other approaches exist.

15. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Zoat is this version of the SI going to try and create some version of the OLC in this universe?
    I know he doesn't have the Maltusians to help him, but maybe trying to help the Nova Corps or something like that?
    And even if he doesn't have Malstusians to help him he is dating Hela who can contact members of an advanced magic based civilization, Asgard, to help him make some rings.
    She already made him some kind of regulator for the Norn stones.
    Is his version going to work with S.W.O.R.D like the MCU one?

Cuchulin and Navi-Hank like this.
  16. Mr Zoat

No. He doesn't think that humans can make rings, and has no idea how to go about trying.
    No, SWORD already exists in this setting.

17. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Asgardians aren't exactly human and have powerful magic to help him, plus the Xandarians at least know how to manipulate cosmic energy seeing as they made the Nova helmets.

I meant to ask if he is going to work for S.W.O.R.D., seeing as he is capable of traveling through space, not founding it like the MCU one?

Cuchulin and DrThoth like this.
  18. King of Frost

King of Frost Wishing I was somewhere colder no doubt.

I kind of remember a pretty good "Harry sues people" story but it involved making his uncle somewhat competent and redeemable. I think it went that he accidentally told his uncle about Sirius Black and the travesty of justice his trial, or lack of a trial, was. His uncle was deeply offended by this, and it all kind of spiraled out from there. I don't remember too much of the specifics.

Ah, maybe it wasn't actually that good? I remember it being good but that was back when I was a cringey teenager.

19. SirKaid

SirKaid Know what you're doing yet?

That would require him to use the Anti-Life. Not only would that be a horrible thing to do to someone who isn't an enemy, but it would damage him and damage the seal holding it back.

The Elements aren't his only hope; if he weakens the seal and they don't work then he's in a much worse situation.

Cuchulin, WhiteNoise, Jaron and 2 others like this.
  20. Gantradies

...... huh. thats...disappointing.

a plotline, either entirely with canon characters, or OC's/SI's, that leads to someone siding with the muggles to shatter the stature of secrecy (and potentially lead a military action against the foreign power attacking england's citizens and attempting to subvert its government) would be...well, fascinating-

ive only seen ONE kinda like that so far-
    divergence point was the MOM basically conscripted Longbottom and Potter as infants and put them through a child-soldier program/amoral magical augmentation program after taking the prophecy seriously- the sideffects of a "botched" version of one of the enhancement potions basically left poor Neville slowly dying as his organs shut down post-war, and the MOM actively refused to keep providing the counter-potion that'd been keeping the side-effects from killing him due to "expense".....

20-30 years latter, an extremely bitter, rightfully angry Harry has COMPLETELY destroyed magical society,as it exists in canon, entirely by legal means,
    essentially getting a cover identity as a brilliant, young physicist, postulating, and proving, an entire new field of science (running off magical principles) that the ENTIRETY of the magical population missed due to not caring about the barely-human muggles, on average, past the "is one irritating me atm" level,gotten UNBELIEVABLY rich off selling/licensing practical designs for machines/electronics using said principles,and, more importantly, got well known enough that murdering him (in canon, there were high-ups in the ministry with ZERO compunctions about torturing or murdering children, let alone adults threatening to rock the boat)and obliviating witnesses/searchers would be impossible.....

by the time the idiots in control of "magical" England actually noticed that the muggles were using magitech, they were at the point where they were theorizing about the feasibility of devices functionally identical to the invisibility spells/effects that were hiding....pretty much everything- and were about a year away from prototyping countermeasures-
    after the abduction, harry essentially told them to put him in charge,and LET him end the stature in a controlled manner, or they'd probably die in the rioting/full-on war when the full level of their abuse of power became impossible to hide...and he'd already released a paper to peer-review, that was getting international media coverage, of the probability of natural thaum-manipulators....

21. Gantradies

hey, if you remember anything in more detail, would love to check that one out!

Navi-Hank likes this.
  22. topin89

topin89 Virgin Centrist

Natural magiparticle carriers, to be precise.

23. Mr Zoat

Oh, come on. If you're going to talk about an unrelated Harry Potter fanfic in my thread you could at least include a link to it.

24. Xelloss

Xelloss Know what you're doing yet?

Seems interesting. What's the fic's name ?

Gantradies likes this.
  25. Gantradies

Err-
    one minute!

https://archiveofourown.org/works/1149623

1. Introduction
    Where and how Illusions Incorporated began and where Incorporated Illusions ended have been the question of the past three years. Two corporations, two companies, two innovative facilities working, seemingly, for completely different goals - and yet, as it was proven five years ago with the revelation of the Natural Magiparticle Carriers, with exact same thing in mind. Various studies have been published, various articles - even various illusiovision documentaries - but in absence of actual interviews, and with the CEO of Illusions Inc. being notoriously silent, no one can tell which theory is right, and which is incorrect.
    In this essay, I will be retracing the history of both Illusions Incorporated and Incorporated Illusions, as well as whatever is known of their CEO, in order to figure out the timeline of both companies. The aim is to determine whether or not their eventual unification had been the original plan, or accidental effect of the progress that eventually ended up revolutionising the world.
    As CEO, Harry Potter went down in history as the man who destroyed the magical world. He even received a Nobel Prize for it. But was it really just one man's lengthy act of revenge, or a complete accident?”

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
    Xelloss, Oglymogly, Cuchulin and 4 others like this.
  26. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

In Earth's Mightiest Heroes, Black Panther was always the competent one. How would he interact with Paul? I see them as being the two guys who see how things will go wrong and work together so that everything will be fixed in the end.

27. Gantradies

.... credit where it’s due- this version of Paul is....
    breaking it the new to this version of cap a.... lot more... gently/sanely then MCU Fury’s ridiculous period charade :(

poor man really needs a hug....

28. WereDragon

WereDragon Bookwyrm

I must with slight guilt admit that I would probably have made a Futurama reference had I been waking him up.

So the biggest hurdle for that Paul would be convincing ‘Anthony’ to share his toys rather than hoarding them. Iron Man armour isn’t a power ring but with a little alien tech and some magic they can be close.

29. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood, isn't it?

Yes, I know it's silly given the etymology of the name, but Americans spell it "lollipop."

30. m_d

m_d Fascinated by storytelling

At a guess, the intent was something that could also be written as 890 Fifth Ave.