1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. ForeverShogo

ForeverShogo Not too sore, are you?

It's a fanon thing where people treat the spontaneous musical numbers as something that actually physically happens, with the magic of Harmony or whatever actually forcing people to participate against their will. Fanfic writers call it a "heartsong".

But even in the show it's actually kind of inconsistent.

Sometimes it actually happens. Sometimes it's imagined or rehearsed in advance. Sometimes it's even something being conveyed through song as, like, a summary instead of what's literally happening.

Gilhelmi, Lupercal, Ardy and 6 others like this.
  2. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.
    It was there when I posted it.
    Is this a correction or are you just opining?
    The Royal Guard are canonically incompetent. Sunset here is being shown as very competent.

Also, there isn't much point in the SI going to where people know exactly what they're doing, watching them for a bit and then saying 'yep, you know what you're doing. Well done, carry on', and then leaving.
    The 'her' is Twilight and it looks fine to me.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2020
    DrThoth, Ardy, Navi-Hank and 13 others like this.
  3. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Entrance Sunbutt!

Is Starlight Glimmer already resolved? If not, I would love to see Grayven tear into her philosophy.

4. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Ah, I'm guessing words were said about the quality of Equestrian soldiers...

And Sunset is growing tired of Grayven's shit. Expect a talking-to soon...

Dammit, QQ needs a :rofl: smiley... And I can see why Grayven's laughing now.

Temper, temper, soldier. Comport yourself like an Officer and a Gentleman... er, Gentle-pony.

Careful, Grayven, you're bucking for a bucking.

To be fair, the latter isn't their fault, Discord is, well...

That is an honestly good point.

Oh, that's a loud silence...

Okay, that one's a little harder to explain away as 'caught by surprise'... Especially after two previous super-villain attacks.

Oh, sure, that's an easy excuse. That's like saying "Oh, we didn't bother with guards on the convoy because Batman is in town..."

<Facehoof> Without the Elements, the Mane Six are basically ordinary ponies with somewhat unusual talents. Except maybe Twilight.

"And that, gentlemen, is when you see his ego shatter into tiny pieces..."

Ah, the talking-to has arrived. Don't blow your throat out shouting, Sunset...

Well, she's going to be very good at Canterlot Royal Voice, at least.

You cheeky dick-waffle! Now that's subtlety you don't expect from the Renegade...

"And it's fun watching you shout."

Both? Both. Both is good.

Maybe once she's been away from you for a while...

Wow, never seen hope at the sight of a person brought so low... Grayven has weird priorities...

And every one of those guards is going to want to learn his skills...

Music Meister? Is that you?

Unsubtle, but I expect proper firearms safety lessons can come after.

Lovely lyrics...

Oh, my. You'll have to take those guns from the soldiers' cold, dead hooves...

Woah. Magical Power Armor. Nice.

Airborne fire-support. What's next, orbital bombardments? No, wait, that's a Harmony Strike.

She's not home yet, though. Or is she making a quite nasty point?

HAhahahahaaa!:V

Oh, get over it, Grayven. You had your fun, let her enjoy herself.

Ah, the lecture she mentioned? Hope the students are ready to have their minds blown.

Impressive control. I wonder how many of them can even follow that? Very few, I bet.

Ah, Equestria, you and your thinly-veiled references.

A very good question. But beyond the scope of my reasoning ability...

Oh, my. Talk about spitting in Celestia's face...

And following the Laws of Narrative Causality...

Oh, boy. Sunbutt is in for quite a surprise...

Woo! <Raises the Horns> Preach it!

And a surprise musical number, for the win. The only bad thing about this chapter... Will be the wait until tomorrow to see what happens next.

Gilhelmi, nobodez, Norgarth and 19 others like this.
  5. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Ah, dick-waffle.

There is a fic on Ff.net by Satire Swift called Fate Ment: War of the Bridges., it's a story about Mr. Popo absorbing Angra Mainyuu and summoning characters from abridged series to replace the Servants for the 5th war.
    It includes such wonderful characters as Alucard, Yami Yugi and of course the single greatest abridged character to ever exist ...NAPPA.

I also think i know what his noble phantasm will be.
    It will be making his Master so angry they gain superhuman abilities to kill him

And i can't wait wait to see the relationship between Yami and Kazuki.
    I mean... no homo right.

Sadly the fic appears to be dead.

6. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

Good thing Grayven isn't selling to them.

Can I ask what this has to do with Mr Zoat's with this ring? you lost me.

Lupercal, Vanathor, Ardy and 8 others like this.
  7. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Sorry DAT_NOOB when Chojin called renegade a cheeky dick-waffle i remembered abridged Alucard and this one fic i read about him.
    Couldn't help myself.:D

DAT_NOOB, dogbertcarroll and w34v3r like this.
  8. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Of course! Equestria is a music box for the chaos gods! They are there in the darkness of space, always listening. Celestia is but a servant. She who dims the lights in the room of the true gods of the world.

Navi-Hank and Wild Transient like this.
  9. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Dash can explode things so thoroughly that a mushroom cloud forms in her wake, Fluttershy can stare dragons and cockatrices alike into submission, and Pinkie Pie is a fourth wall observer who enjoys cartoon physics in apparent defiance of the established rules of thaumatology.

Rebu, Rafin, Xmaster3000 and 13 others like this.
  10. Slayer Anderson

Slayer Anderson Orthodox Heretic

If this were a canon comic/tv timeline, it probably would, but With This Ring is usually pretty good about not hitting characters with plot-based morality about greed and attempting beyond your station.

There will likely be some kind of unknown/unknowable complication (possibly unrelated to the actual ascension itself), but I foresee Sunset actually achieving alicornhood without her turning into a demon or something.

w34v3r, Xmaster3000, Lupercal and 8 others like this.
  11. Agent Orange

Agent Orange Experienced.

Hm? When did this happen? How can a pegasus explode stuff? Did she hit it with a lighting bolt or something?

12. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Sonic Rainboom. She uses it in an early episode to knock down a barn. And on a side note, Applejack is strong even for an Earth pony. I was joking about the 'proper' superpowers. I doubt most Equestrians would know what the Mane Six can really do...
    (Original statement tweaked...)

david, Cuchulin and Agent Orange like this.
  13. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

At a guess: since she’s absorbing background magic, she does what OL did to his soul, where it constantly absorbs background magic. This has consequences in the DC universe.

That, or everyone watching the lecture becomes an Alicorn. We get Alicorn Nye the Science Guy. There’s a lot of Alicorns who can’t control their powers.

w34v3r, Cuchulin, Darko and 1 other person like this.
  14. Agent Orange

OL had his soul frame/mana collector designed by John Constantine. It was set to 'absorb and convert' and the off switch was not even included in the design. Given how careful and thorough Sunset's been about Sciencing the ascension process I doubt she would miss something like this. Unlike Paul she was not exactly in a rush for it. She had a full year to iron out any kinks.

Ardy, Wetbananas, Cuchulin and 3 others like this.
  15. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Wonder what the 'Guise' part of the title really means?

Is it renegade pretending to be a Alicorn, or could it be that Sunsets method doesn't make her into a Alicorn but something else, or does she get the magics of the three tribes, but still not become a Alicorn?

In Codex Equus Alicorns are gods that wield Primordial Quintessence, the magic of the gods, and while there have been people in that fic who wield the three pony magics that doesn't necessarily mean they become gods.
    The Frankenstein expy, Patchwork, has the magics of all three tribes but no PQ.

Lupercal likes this.
  16. Agent Orange

It obviously refers to the fact that they aren't in canon Equestria. This is an alternate timeline where Changeling coup went off without a hitch and every pony was eventually replaced by a Changeling. Mane 6 are in fact Mean 6 and that's why they didn't have any Elements on them.

Ardy, Lupercal, david and 3 others like this.
  17. Senevri

Senevri Not too sore, are you?

Seems very safe.
    ... The potential problem with giving a bunch of jumped up tour guides actual weaponry and military training is that they may want to use it. Whether or not there's a need is irrelevant.

Rebu, w34v3r, WhiteNoise and 4 others like this.
  18. Bramble Thorn

Bramble Thorn Verified Silhouette

Caught back up, apparently right at a cliffhanger.
    In this scene, we have secretly switched Grayvens normal Yellow Ring Narrator Sinestro with Hedonism Bot from Futurama.
    Lets see it anyone notices.

Ardy, Sockmonkey and Darko like this.
  19. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

The episode Sonic Rainboom.

Which is named after the maneuver, the sonic rainboom. Here's a result of her flying into a barn.

[​IMG]

20. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Have to wonder how she’s still alive after that. Have to say that one Double Rainboom YouTube video was preety great too.

21. Agent Orange

By Sunbutt! Is nuking barns her special talent? Or is it something any pegasus can do? If so why did Grayven even bother looking for a discount version of Dash?

w34v3r and Darko like this.
  22. Mr Zoat

Rainbow Dash has a full time job and a part time job already.

23. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Rainbow Dash’s talent is going really fast. The Rainboom is basically a magical sonic boom, and most of the time she controls Ponyville’s weather. The one Grayven found has pulled off similar feats, but no Rainboom. It blew up a barn because Dash flew too close. The Rainboom is basically Dash breaking the speed of magic. She’s clearly not breaking light speed, and breaking the sound barrier doesn’t leave a rainbow.
    On a related note, there needs to be a Megumin unicorn. You know, one whose entire magic talent is explosions, but is useless for a good deal of time afterwards.

Rebu, Lupercal, david and 2 others like this.
  24. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Wow, talk about arriving late to the party.

What were you doing Celestia, bucking with a Saddle Arabia stallion or something?

Soul Shocker likes this.
  25. Ace Dreamer

Ace Dreamer Questioning The Nature of our Realities

If the singing upset Grayven, he'd better hope he never ends up in the Gilbert&Sullivan-verse... Improbable? Other world hoppers have been there...

(Of possible interest is that 'The Incomplete Enchanter' is sufficiently old that you can find legal copies online to read...)

dogbertcarroll likes this.
  26. WereDragon

WereDragon Bookwyrm

Out of interest how long have Darkseid and High Father been failing to ‘work something out’ for dealing with each other?

Indeed how long has every spacefaring polity in the universe had to ‘work something out’ for dealing with Apokolips in general? Or the Green Lanterns, who quite a few polities would probably like to be rid of.

This is either a blatant lie or an amazing vote of confidence in the competency of both the Forever People and the Amazons.

o_O … so was there anything but sheer luck keeping Sunset and that guard from becoming murderers?

Bramble Thorn, Rebu, w34v3r and 4 others like this.
  27. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Remember Dragon this was a prelude to a song, even if they hit someone all it would have done was vaporize their hair:D

Bramble Thorn, Rebu, DrThoth and 2 others like this.
  28. Mr Zoat

The difference between Darkseid and a statue is that one is Darkseid and the other is an inanimate, unresisting object.
    Yes, that was the wall they test-fire spells at. There isn't anything much behind it for obvious safety reasons.

29. Norgarth

Norgarth Making the rounds.

it's a two part joke/reference

a) Guise; meaning appearance, refers to the fact that Grayven is currently in Alicorn form
    b) 'guise' is pronounced like 'guys'. The previous episode was 'Equestia Girls', this one is 'Equstria Guys'

Bramble Thorn, w34v3r, Ardy and 6 others like this.
  30. zerofarad

zerofarad Know what you're doing yet?

fazed