1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

'Picking a fight with an alicorn' doesn't just refer to the alicorn's direct internal power, but to all of the resources they can draw upon.
    Yeah, and Young Justice didn't show all of the children Klarion murdered. Writers don't always think about the logical consequences of the events they write.
    I don't remember seeing Luna in a cocoon. Also, it had only been a few minutes.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2022
  2. TheMidnightRook

TheMidnightRook Well worn.

Luna: "Ah, so thou art jealous then, as my suitor hath put in more effort than any of thine."

3. zerofarad

zerofarad Know what you're doing yet?

was -> has

If these are both the Renegade speaking, then conventional quoting would skip the close quote here.

4. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

5. Finagle007

Finagle007 [Verified Great Old One]

Hold it.

I'd say we've established that F does indeed = M. It's not that F ≠ M, it's that M doesn't always = F.

Xmaster3000, Vorian, DAT_NOOB and 4 others like this.
  6. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Hey Zoat is there a limit to how many people Teth and Billy can give a bit of their divine power to?

Was reading this fic on SB called 'But Doctor I am Pagliacci', and in it Circe manages to do some kind of spell that gives I think 27 people Teth's powers, aside from Amon, Khalid and a third minor character, all three who probably got most of it.

In it Amon could partially transform his features into that of an animal and Khalid became a powerful sorcerer, like the post flashpoint comics where he became Dr. Fate.

If a person is given the powers by Teth or Billy would they be able to have ones that Teth or Billy lack, like Amon being able to shapeshift.

Hey an interesting idea, in this fic Circe called the Sons of Adom, a n52 group that brought Teth back to life and is the one that was powered in this fic, her and Adoms sons.
    She honestly seemed to be dating him and he even made her a goddess among his men because she helped them, though yeah it was a show of thanks for her help.
    Interestingly in this fic Sivana also considers religion and prayer to the gods to be something of a business like you do, even calling it a transaction:D

Renegade Circe helping renegade Teth with his country by giving him powerful warriors could be a good anniversary gift if they marry in the future.

DAT_NOOB likes this.
  7. Mr Zoat

Probably.

8. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

cavalier ("caviller" is very much the opposite of what you meant)

Etymological trivia: "cavalier" means "knightly." (Compare French "chevalier.") It has its modern use because knights could do whatever they pleased, and who would do anything about it?

The word you're looking for is resolve or resoluteness. "Resolution" is technically the same but it's got a different meaning in daily use. "Determined" or "persistent" are probably closer to what you want, though.

I mean, you're not even an American citizen. You never had a chance!

We had this discussion a few pages ago. = is a symmetric relationship, so a = b must also mean b = a. The symbol you're looking for is either ⊂ ("is contained within") or → ("implies").

9. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

10. ForeverShogo

ForeverShogo Not too sore, are you?

It wasn't just a few minutes. It was enough time to go from the middle of the night to, well, daylight. The sun was up when Starlight, Trixie, Discord, and Thorax went to confront Chrysalis.

Though apparently Chrysalis was able to kick Celestia's and Luna's asses just by using her drones. Which is a pretty poor showing for the Alicorns.

Anyways . . . Changeling decapitation strike took out the Mane 6, Celestia, Luna, and Cadance.

And it's a setting with a bunch of ridiculous magic. It doesn't really matter if it's illogical for the world not to be destroyed after years of Nightmare Moon's reign. The show still explicitly showed us the world wouldn't be destroyed. That's canon.

Clearly some magic bullshit exists to get around what would have happened in our reality.

Xmaster3000, Doccer, Ardy and 3 others like this.
  11. Siskulous

Siskulous Know what you're doing yet?

I'm....somewhat disturbed to learn that's a thing. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised though.

Ardy, Darko and Lupercal like this.
  12. Silverias

Silverias Know what you're doing yet?

I do not think I believe you.

13. Valint

Valint I trust you know where the happy button is?

On the other hand, when the plunderseed vines captured the two of them, the sun and moon cycle stopped, which strongly implies that their absence does matter.

Seems more reasonable to assume that the changelings had a work-around for this (e.g., ongoing theft of their magic to keep things going, hallucinations to make the alicorns think everything was fine, etc.), since it's an outlier.

My head-canon is that Celestia and Luna were constantly taking dives, because they were trying to give Twilight a chance to get experience in semi-controlled conditions, in hopes of getting her to the point where they could leave her in charge.

It's canon only if you treat it as an incontrovertible fact that Starlight's spell was actually changing the past, which seems dubious to me.

If you assume that her spell was just showing them simulations of what-might-have-beens, that both gives the spell a more reasonable scope and explains away any inconsistencies (since we don't know the limitations on where it's getting its information).

Vorian, DAT_NOOB, Cuchulin and 2 others like this.
  14. lefthandturnsignal

lefthandturnsignal Making the rounds.

Not with solemnity, just with the solemnity it deserved.

15. Mr Zoat

And now I know.

Huh.

Why?

16. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

is it bad that I want the full lyrics to that?

17. Mr Zoat

I'm not stopping you writing them.

18. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

Alas I don't know enough about MLP lore to write that

Bramble Thorn and Xmaster3000 like this.
  19. Gilhelmi

Gilhelmi Know what you're doing yet?

I will say, one thing I really like about Graven is the songs he sings. OL Paul needs to sing more. He has not had a good song in years.

Ardy and DAT_NOOB like this.
  20. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

I could not tell you. I guess it's something fun to do? Like playing the Simba game.

DAT_NOOB likes this.
  21. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

What is that 'Dumb ways to die' a reference to?
    That one scene in Hellsing Abridged Alexander mentions?

22. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

23. Threadmarks: Equestrian Guise (part 17)
    Mr Zoat

Canterlot
    Afternoon

I throw the doors open wide when we reach the Drawing Room and get a clear view of the ponies gathered inside. Twilight is pacing nervously just outside of Sunset's arcane inscriptions while Sunset calmly does a last minute check. The rest of the Bearerherd and Cadance stand off to the side, presumably having decided to stick around after Sunset's tests. An-.

Huh.

An alicorn I don't recognise stands a little closer, watching Sunset with…

"Circe?"

She turns my way. "Grayven. You didn't tell me that this was happening today."

"Fifteen to one time ratio." Green pelt, pink-purple mane and tail and staff whose head is glowing with arcane power as a cutie mark. No, hang on: there's a broken and rusted sword underneath it. "And the timing is Sunset's decision. How did you-?"

"Jean anticipated your order."

"Ah." I nod. Hadn't realised that she was awake. I suppose that one of the g-gnomes probably notified her.

Sunset glances towards the door as Celestia and Luna come inside, Celestia hanging back slightly while Luna trots up alongside me.

"Grayven, will you introduce us?"

"Princess Luna, this is Circe." I frown slightly. "Do you bother with titles?"

Circe sighs. "With an introduction like that I can hardly do so now." She smiles at Luna. "A pleasure to meet you, Luna."

"And what is thine involvement in this affair?"

"Sunset and I are 'study buddies'." Circe twists her head towards Sunset. "Isn't that right, Sun-"

Finishing her last check, Sunset makes momentary eye contact with Celestia and then prances over to nuzzle Circe.

"-set." Circe hesitates for a moment, then cranes her neck down and attempts to reciprocate the gesture. "Are you prepared?"

Sunset pulls back slightly. "As much as I can be. I've confirmed my hypothesis as much as I can without experimental data. The only thing I can do now is cast the spell."

"I meant: are you ready?"

"I…" She sounds uncertain, her head dropping slightly and her eyes roaming around the room. Then she sees Celestia and her expression hardens. "I'm as ready as I'm going to get. Anything else is just cowardice."

"Good." Circe kisses the top of her head and then steps back. "But just in case anything goes wrong, I'll be here and so will Grayven."

I nod. "Pretty much anything short of you being plastered all over the walls, I'll be able to fix."

"Thanks, Grayven, that's exactly the mental image I needed."

"Yes, me sticking you back together. So don’t worry."

She shakes her head and walks back to her diagram.

"Just get out of the way."

I consider prodding her to say something to Celestia, but… No. Instead, I walk around the side of the diagram and and pull up next to Pinkie Pie.

"How's the family?"

"Bigger! The other mes weren't the only ponies in the Mirror Pool."

"Oh? Who else?"

"Granny Pie! Which I shoulda realised because she couldn't have known how it worked without using it at least once!" Makes sense, I suppose. Pinkie grins. "Granny Pie died five years ago! Mom was so happy to see her that she screamed and fainted!"

I regard her fondly for a moment. "Ah, Pinkie. Never change."

"Hey, how'd you know I wasn't one of the other mes?"

"I guessed that the others are being held somewhere pending being rehoused, so the only other you you could be is Party Popper. And I know you're not her."

"Oh. How?"

"I've.. sort of.. marked her. It will take a while to wear off."

Pinkie looks a little uncomfortable. "And you didn't let her have a shower afterwards? That's kind of… Icky, don't you think? I mean, I guess what two consenting adults do in private is their own business, but you've both been walking all over Canterlot and I'm not-."

"Not… That… Not 'marked' like I-. Ew!"

"So how did you 'mark' her, exactly?" She shakes her head. "Because all the ideas I'm coming up with-."

"If I could have everypony's attention!"

Sunset's standing in the middle of the arcane diagram, which is glowing in the same colour as her horn's aura. Celestia stops lurking in the doorway, but is still standing back from the rest of the audience.

"My name is Sunset Shimmer and today is the day I finally become an alicorn. As I'm sure you know, an alicorn is a type of pony who possesses the magic of all three tribes, which combine to make them even more powerful than any normal pony."

Twilight shakes her head. "I didn't get that much of a power boost."

Sunset gives her a mild glare. "Maybe if you used your non-unicorn magics a little, you'd have noticed it a little more."

Twilight opens her mouth, but Applejack looks at her with raised eyebrows and Rainbow Dash just nods. Twilight slumps slightly.

"So as I was saying, becoming an alicorn requires the magic of all three tribes. So far, that's happened using a powerful magic discharge from ponies of all three tribes perfectly aligning with the recipient's special talent or a spell which called upon the magic of all tribes through ponies with whom the recipient had a strong emotional bond. I will be using a third technique, a more controlled version of the method Cadenza lucked into. This network will draw on the platonic ideal forms of the magics of all three tribes via the magic networks covering Equestria… Harmony, if you like. I will use this to alter my own metaphysique into that of an alicorn. From the outside, all you should see is a quick flash of light. From inside… I don't know. I think Twilight's visit to an 'astral plane' was a byproduct of the inefficiency of the spell she used, but…"

She shakes her head.

"The whole thing should only take a few seconds, so here goes!"

Sunset's horn glows brilliantly, the strength of the glow mirrored by her diagram. I glance around the circle and both Circe and Celestia have their horns low level glowing. Not sure what Celestia's planning; there's no way she understands the process.

"First stage is fine, now I unbind my magics to enable the change. That should happen fairly auto-."

The centre of the diagram flashes, though not brightly enough to interfere with my vision. Sunset isn't there.. any longer. Or rather, her outline is gone. I'm.. slightly concerned-.

Then the light vanishes, the glow of the diagram drops off and oh goodness me.

Sunset takes a breath, then looks around the room. Then she flares her new wings and looks down at herself, then left and right at herself.

Then she looks at Celestia and grins.

"Yes! Tallest alicorn!"

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
  24. Katillno

Katillno Verified Nobu fan

Haha haha yes final!!! Oh that’s such a relief she’s finally an alicorn

25. SebazuD

SebazuD Experienced.

I was really hoping this was gonna fail.

26. Zeromaru2

Zeromaru2 Versed in the lewd.

She did it. And she worked her ass off to do it so we're all proud of her.

Sooooooo now what?

27. Marix Reaver

Marix Reaver All the dragons shall be lewded!

Wow, I'm honestly surprised that this succeeded without anything going wrong or getting messed up. Good to see a ritual to gain power go right for once in a work of fiction. Usually some manor of events conspired to ruin it, but I suppose Grayven scared off Discord, so nothing was ruined.

28. Gabriel

Gabriel Your first time is always over so quickly, isn't it?

So is she actually taller than Grayven now?
    although it does makes me wonder if she would retain her height when returning to Earth.

29. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

1. Pinkie's special talent extends to a wider variety of parties than I'd initially assumed.
    2. Taller than Grayven?

30. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

It sort of did.

Given she looks like a mature Alicorn instead of a young one like Twilight Sparkle and Cadance she must have burned at least a thousand years off her lifespan.

Which given we know Luna and Celestia don't last another thousand years means she probably burned up most of her life to become an Alicorn.