1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Ace Dreamer

Ace Dreamer Questioning The Nature of our Realities

Should that be 'without'?

Re-read this line three times, and I'm still not sure...

This is definitely an interesting pick-up made by the Time Trapper. Makes me wonder if he's building a team, which OL is only part of. I think that'd be the classic comic book (cross-over) approach. Being caught with the wrong ring - that's a nice touch, and I wonder if there are parallels with Grayven being caught as a pony? Or, was that Discord getting a bit of chaotic revenge? (Say, by hitting Grayven with a subtle 'May you live in interesting times' curse.)

Still think Doctor Manehattan would have been more fun. :)

2. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Yeah Dr Manhattan would have been interesting, if only to have Paul fawn over him and his nakedness.

We know he , and his alternates, have a thing for villains, and seeing the shit the blue guy has been pulling in recent years, he qualifies as a villain, plus his beautiful, fit, naked body being on display for OL certainly qualifies as an incentive.

Also I have figured out who Warhammer 40k is going to be dating.

It is...ANGRON .

Now hear me out, he is a test tube baby who has daddy issues and has anger problems, sound familiar coughKoncough.
    He is exactly Paul's type.

He can also get into a relationship with Wamuudes, seeing as he wants to 'fix' Angron like he said in the TTS episode

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
    True Ninja, Navi-Hank and Lupercal like this.
  3. jonasquinn

jonasquinn I trust you know where the happy button is?

Yeah, not gonna lie I'm really pissed

I waited a month through Grayvens fawning over being surrounded by a bunch of fucking ponies and the second we get back to Paul he gets completely neutered as a fighter and dragged into a huge clusterfuck purely as a result of total narrative convenience

What happened to Paul's third ring? Why doesn't Time Trapper go back in time three seconds to before Paul took his ring off? Is Krona really paying close enough attention that he'd notice Paul grabbing his ring? And why didn't he just put the fucking ring in his pocket!?

This is comic book trope level inconvenience, which is the exact thing I usually praise this story for avoiding, except for Grayven who is a walking symbol of comic book logic.

And now we have potentially weeks of Paul being completely useless in the midst of one of the biggest events of the story

Great

4. GodKiller999

GodKiller999 Getting out there.

I remember a long while back when I was saying he should learn to use the orange light without his ring and how enhancements that empowered him beyond his ring usage should be a must, but people were saying it'd be a waste of time. Well here we are.
    He's resistant to other lights, he's only immune to the orange light.

5. Soul Shocker

Soul Shocker Not too sore, are you?

Paul should have worn both orange and violet.

Prince Charon and Cuchulin like this.
  6. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Zoat said that paragon and Guy can make constructs without their rings like Stewart 50, but without being Awakened it would be very difficult.

Let's be fair to Time Trapper here.

He is fighting an extremely old and powerful being and the fate of the multiverse could be on the line.

His decision making abilities could be stressed right now and he may have trouble thinking clearly.

Paragon has trouble thinking things through clearly even if the stakes aren't so high and he has more prep time.

Remember him introducing Overgirl to the Team just out of the blue, and somehow not telling the League that he will be bringing her to the mountain just because he thinks the League isn't any better at making decisions than he is, despite the fact that the mountain is filled with people that Overgirl has been taught all her life to hate and kill if she sees them.

Really hope Common Sense Paul will be among the Paul's in this episode.

The paragon can use some lessons from him.

7. Agent Orange

Agent Orange Experienced.

Common Sense Paul is too OP for this kind of situation. He would just take off his ring and exploit the power of narrative tropes to talk down/defeat Krona, while the other Pauls just stare at him in utter incomprehension because they went native a looong time ago.

8. Emizaquel

Emizaquel What is a self?

Just to pitch in, I did a full re-read from the beginning a couple of days ago, and I believe that Paul should have two rings at the moment, after giving his third ring to Ghia'ta.

I've also gone back and re-read the relevant parts,

https://forum.questionablequesting....si-thread-fourteen.8938/page-405#post-2947301 -> Giving away Karfang's ring to Ghia'ta

https://forum.questionablequesting....si-thread-fourteen.8938/page-103#post-2520312 -> Getting Karfang's Ring (specifically three rings)

To be fair, getting Karfang's ring was over a year ago and losing it was over a month ago, so I can see why you forgot.

EDIT: Of course, I don't really have problem with this, though, if Paul doesn't have an Orange ring for some reason (my suspension of disbelief is a bit stretched, I'll admit) I would like to see Paul wielding a Love ring on a more permanent basis.

9. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Talking down you enemy without fighting.

I know I've been saying this a lot lately, but really read Life Ore Death, there is a particularly interesting way the mc, Renka, defeats Red Volcano.

Spoiler: she talks him down and uses reason and logic to explain why his plan won't work.

Granted one of her magic abilities is making people trust her more so she can manipulate them, but it has the downside of her also trusting them.

Renka truly is an interesting character once you read about her and her history.

The scene where Mera asks her to tell her one of her past sins is just priceless, and highly shocking of course.

Her interactions with Fate are also a joy to read, and I really like the way Fate is portrayed in that fic. They actually portray the negative way in which he was treated in canon that led to him doing something unethical to procure a host, namely leaving him on a shelf without even trying to interact with him, except those few times the mc did, not finding him a host sooner led to Klarion splitting the two worlds and forced him to blackmail Giovanni in desperation and no small amount of rage. Really like the multi dimensional way he was portrayed there.

There was also a scene where a Lovecraftian being wanted to have a selfie with him:D
    Sadly it happened off page.

The way you portrayed him Zoat was fine, if a bit one dimensional.

10. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

He gave Xalitan Xor a ring. I remember noting that he went from three to two in my head, and I think the ring went to Xor.
    Not easily and without preparation.
    Thank you, corrected.

11. Aeess

Aeess I trust you know where the happy button is?

I wonder how the violet ring would affect Paragons soul, he stil got his tattoos after all,and from his trip to hell we know that they still continued to draw upon energy to add to it as long its not earth magic.

Mixing violet light into a soul made out of orange light sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

Cuchulin and Darko like this.
  12. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Pretty sure Xor got his own ring and not one of the three the SI had.

Also I think he mentioned that after the defeat of Dracul Karfang that he had three rings in his possession.

The controllers gave him several rings to give to people he thought could wield them, Ratchet, Sodam Yat, those blind women etc.

He probably had one, or several extra rings in subspace to give to other he finds worthy and Xor fit the bill.

You can just change it so that he takes both rings off to make it easier to concentrate on the violet ring.

Prince Charon, Jaron and Chaoswind like this.
  13. Emizaquel

Emizaquel What is a self?

If I remember correctly, Xor was from before Karfang, which would maintain three at the time of Karfang and two at the moment.

Let me check...
    Xor -> https://forum.questionablequesting....stice-si-story-only.8961/page-56#post-2616340
    Karfang -> https://forum.questionablequesting....stice-si-story-only.8961/page-69#post-2706185

Yep, that has Xor as shortly proceeding Karfang.

EDIT: And to add to things, the ring he gives to Xor is not one of his own, but rather an extra he pulls out of an equipment pouch.

A pouch which means that Paul not having his ring when taken by Time Trapper Paul makes less sense, as it would make far more sense for Paul to keep his rings on his person even if he did take them off, leaving him with his ring when taken by TTP.

14. jonasquinn

jonasquinn I trust you know where the happy button is?

Iirc Xor was well before Karfang and Paul definitely had two rings when he fought her

Then he took her ring and gave one of his to Ghia'ta

Also, I reiterate that this whole situation is stupidly convenient

Jaron, True Ninja and Darko like this.
  15. Agent Orange

I have read LOD. I really liked the concept and found Renka's mindset and the novel way she resolves the stations of canon interesting. I especially liked the much more expanded investigation missions the team did and how nuanced them finding out about the Light was. It felt like assembling a puzzle.

Of course there was plenty of negative sides. Proofreading was non-existent in the first several story arcs which really detracted from the story. All of the characters sounded almost exactly like Renka (identical overburdened "stream-of-through"; it didn't look even remotely like stream-of-through, it looked like the same character with different nametags narrates what they are thinking to some telepathic voyeur). If it weren't for constant self-reference in 3rd person (Kaldur was really concerned about x Kaldur though) or PoV titles I wouldn't even know who's thoughts I was following. Eventually, the much expanded character list and overabundance of interwoven plotlines and Renka's never-ending convalescence was too much to follow.

I gave up somewhere around their voyage to Dreaming. Does Renka ever recover enough to go back to field work?

Re: Nabu

I have no issues whatsoever with how Zoat dealt with him. He kept him completely in line with his canon characterization. And to be honest Nabu was never portrayed as particularly likable by modern standards. He takes little to no consideration to how being his host will affect his hosts' personal lives (that goes double for his earlier comic incarnations). He is a hero in a sense that he fights against entities that most people would consider villanous if not monstrous. If you want a really good/beliveably positive interpretation of Nabu read A Silent Knife by industrious.

jonasquinn and Darko like this.
  16. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Yeah she recovers enough to go back to field work.

Still it was enjoyable that the author decided to portray Nabu in a more multi dimensional way and I think they really succeeded.

Also if you want to be even more horrified with Apokalips and their society the chapter titled 'DARKSEID IS' really delves deep into the sheer nightmare of that civilization and it also expands on the history between Savage and Darkseid.
    Spoiler: they are actually pretty friendly, even calling themselves by their original names, Vander Arg and Uxas, and their relationship goes WAY back before the Genghis Khan phase.

Zoats portrayal of Apokalips was terrifying, but very, very tame compared to what is in Life Ore Death

Also spoiler, Lucifer is running his bar on Thanagar, called Luck's Nightclub, and the history of the First, Second and Third of the Fallen may be diffrent in that universe, or at least there is a diffrent story on how they fell. Lucifer apparently threw them out of Heaven when they tried to attack God because of their disagreement over mortals and all that.

Also if you didn't know Jimmy and Renka started dating, and Jimmy punched LUCIFER in the face:D, sadly off screen.
    And he went on an adventure with Destruction when he was drunk off screen

True Ninja and Cuchulin like this.
  17. Agent Orange

I don't know who 'Jimmy' is but dude, you just spoilered the bits of story I haven't read. Still. I might give it a go again at some point.

True Ninja and Darko like this.
  18. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Jimmy Olsen.
    And he punched Lucifer because he was being mean to Maze.
    Truly Renka is lucky to have such a chivalrous boyfriend
    But seriously their relationship is really sweet.
    Which is surprising given their personalities, but I think the author did a good job in portraying their relationship.

I was honestly more surprised that she could get along so well with Highfather.

That probably says some things about Izaya

There weren't that many spoilers to be honest.

Cuchulin likes this.
  19. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

insectoid

peal

He DOES have pockets on his suit, because he DID learn that lesson. He almost certainly has a sidearm on his person at this point.

I would guess he doesn't keep extra rings on his person aside from the ones he's wearing because that's probably more of a liability than an asset. It doesn't grant him any power he doesn't already have and it's a weapon someone else could try to use. If he still has an extra, he's got it put away somewhere secure.

20. Agent Orange

Like his toe?

Cuchulin, Vorian and Darko like this.
  21. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Or as Robot Chicken showed us it is possible to place the ring in many diffrent place where so few people would look:D

Or in his chest like Sybarite.

Now I'm imagining Sybarite using the Robot Chicken method just because.

Sockmonkey and Cuchulin like this.
  22. Agent Orange

After this mess is over with he'll keep a ring or two implanted in body just below his skin for emergencies (like Jason Bourne in that first movie). Also spares. A ring on each of his hands (check), a ring on both of his big toes (sadly not yet), two earrings (hey pony Grayven made it work). In the end he'll have sooo much bling he'll never be able to pass a metal detector.

Cuchulin and Darko like this.
  23. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Don't forget the Robot Chicken method Agent Orange.:D

But yeah he really should look into getting some powers for himself pronto.

I think Zoat said that he may get powers in the future.

Cuchulin likes this.
  24. Mr Zoat

Okay, having checked, I can't find anything saying that he didn't have two rings. Modified.

Ngamer11, Bramble Thorn, Ardy and 4 others like this.
  25. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    Yes, but nothing special. He was doing a non-violent training session in a fortified mountain base. The SI wasn't doing anything stupid as the only thing that could get him was someone meddling with time in a way that everything he knows about time travel says isn't possible.

The SI removed his orange rings deliberately so that Ghia'ta could see exactly what he was doing.

26. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

If you changed it to 'rings' then you should also change 'My ring is' to 'My rings are'

Unless he just generally said where his ring was without specifying how many he had.

27. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

28. Maxx Crowley

Maxx Crowley I trust you know where the happy button is?

How's about fuck off?

Seriously? Is fuck off NEVER an actual option.

Like, dude shows up, blathers some unverifiable shit, and you just go with him?

No is never an option? I mean you can choose yes. But just once, I'd like to see no be an option.

Also, I waited through so much....pony....and it's this asshole again?

29. Mr Zoat

Yes, because either he needs to be helped, or he needs to be stopped. Being a superhero means that in either case the buck stops with you.

30. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

He gave Xor a ring, but he hasn't given his original ring nor the prototype to anyone, this is explicitly in the continuity.

Ghiata got the one he mugged the dragon for.

Paul has mugged several rings off some people, the first guy orange lantern he recruited had hunted down a few orange rings to keep himself charged.

The kid from Daxam had his own.

The blind woman had one and you gave one of the first extras to the daughter.

Then you mugged the cannibals that tried to eat the squirrel.

Then Xor got a ring.

Then the dragon got mugged.

Then Ghiata got a ring too.

Paul hasn't given neither his original nor the prototype to anyone.