1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

It's been a while, but:

The SI doesn't know.

2. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

You cheeky dickwaffle you.

3. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Yeah that one was...beyond idiotic

Then there was that Riker's and Troi's kid just so happened to die from something synth related or the Borg Cube which had, like, zero pay off, or the fact they, once agin, invented a form of immortality, which they then USED and then claimed immortality is bad y'all.

The series has huge flaws, but unlike with anything since...well, basically Voyager, I actually felt some moments of Trek, especially with some of Picards speeches.

I was also a sucker for the wholesome reunion between Riker, Troi and Picard (minus the unnecessary dead kid).

nick012000, Cuchulin and Lupercal like this.
  4. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

If nothing else Q or Q or maybe even Q might give him something to recharge his ring because he is such a interesting fellow.

5. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

You forgot Q, that guy is so helpful.

Xelloss and Cuchulin like this.
  6. Shotiegun11

Shotiegun11 Know what you're doing yet?

How could we forget Q (Junior)! Icheb's literal (reformed?) amoral godlike being best friend that would definitely wouldn't Let HIS BEST FRIEND GET VIVISECTED!

Though, if a version of the SI was sent there post-TNG and Pre-Picard he may be able to stop the enslavement of Data's people, death of Icheb, and several other things wrong with Picard. That may be enough for Q (Junior) (or any Q) to just pop a Orange (or any) Power Battery into existence for him as chuhulin suggested.

Vorian, Ardy, Cuchulin and 2 others like this.
  7. jonasquinn

jonasquinn I trust you know where the happy button is?

Uh yeah, I'm kind of curious about this as well Mr Zoat

Thankfully I don't think that that was Lantern Jade
    That seems about right but some amendments are that once he gets permission from the creator of the ring the second one doesn't apply and he is capable of realising the third if he has it pointed out to him

8. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

There was this fic by Alara Rogers on Ff.net that came up with the idea that the Romulan supernova may have been due to the actions of the Q, specifically Q being killed and his son having to spend several years bringing him back to life. However the supernova made it impossible for them to use their full powers in the place where it happened.

Maybe Q or Q jr. didn't intervene because they couldn't, the Continuum was facing reforms after Q's rebellion so maybe they made up some rules about lessening their interference in the affairs of mortals.

nick012000, Vorian and Cuchulin like this.
  9. LordofTentacle

LordofTentacle Know what you're doing yet?

I am lost. I read in story only and while I'm sure the other settings are good I really am only interested in mainline orange lantern Paul.

Cuchulin likes this.
  10. Zig

Zig Not too sore, are you?

You've been ignoring a quarter of the story and are now reading a chapter that is focusing on the parts you've been ignoring. Of course you're lost.

11. Threadmarks: Repetition (part 18)
    Mr Zoat

Out
    Again

I'm.. in some sort of.. workshop? Computer controlled assembly units are set into the walls, and as the lights furthest away from us blink on I see that there's plenty of space left over. Empty storage? For raw materials, or finished products. Red shoves Komand'r into cover and then flies for a wall-mounted first aid kit while Time Trapper types something on a computer interface built into one of the room's support columns. Cheshire 32 appears to have made herself scarce.

I take a moment to regain my focus, then create a ring of violet crystal around the portal aperture.

"…down, this place-"

Angelika lands next to Time Trapper as he keeps typing.

"-was programmed to be paranoid about kryptonians, although-"

There's a clunk as large energy cannons emerge from their roof-mounted housings, and in the distance I see lightly-armed drones flying in our direction.

"-in this case, that-"

Red Queen flies out of the portal, her armour smouldering as she hits the ground and tries to roll with her momentum. It doesn't quite work and she strikes a column side-first before recovering sufficiently to throw a crystal at the portal.

"-may be to our advantage."

It.. closes-.

I watch the air for a moment.

"Black?"

Red Queen gingerly pushes herself upright as Red Me begins cleaning Komand'r's wounds.

"He was overwhelmed."

She looks down at her armour, which shimmers faintly as it reknits itself.

"Alright." Time Trapper steps back as the guns above us point in a more neutral direction. "The system has accepted us for the time being. I'll begin fabricating the tuning fork. Queen, you'll need to liaise with whoever is running the local Lantern Corps at the moment."

There's a scarlet flicker as she vanishes.

"Where are we?"

"One of our backup sites." He walks over to a fabricator and inserts a data stick into its port. "It was built by the local Lex Luthor at the height of his anti-Superman paranoia. Since he disappeared, I think we're the only ones who know about it."

Red glares at me, then flicks his eyes in the direction of Angelika as he tends to Komand'r. What? She's a big girl, she can give herself first…

I take a slightly deeper look at Angelika, at her sense of self-worthlessness…

"Angelika, come over here."

She flies my way, and I-. Ow, her burns are.. quite a bit more serious than my initial assessment suggested. Soon fix that.

Ah. Unlike with an orange ring where the injuries just disappear, violet rings leave a sort of crystal… Scab? Angelika inhales sharply-.

"Did that hurt?"

"No." She performs a quick check of herself, pulling disintegrated uniform flaps aside. "No, the numbness was a surprise. Do you think that we will have time to create a replacement costume? This is a little.. draughty."

Ah. Yes, I suppose that it would be.

"Time Trapper?"

He doesn't look around as the fabricators whir to life. "What?"

"Can these machines make clothing?"

"Yes. Why would-?" He looks around and notes Angelika's state of dishabille. "One of the smaller units should be able to produce clothing. I never concerned myself with the full catalogue."

Angelika nods gratefully and flies slowly to one of the indicated units.

Komand'r pushes herself upright, blobs of dull green wound sealant drying across her skin. "How long do we have?"

"Luthor warded this facility with every defensive measure he could build, borrow or steal. It should be inviolate. On the other hand, Red Queen and I were able to find it. We upgraded the defences ourselves, but I don't want to offer you hollow promises of safety."

"Should we expect a visit from Mister Luthor?"

"No. He got into a fight with the Guardians of the Galaxy which resulted in a double knockout. Earth is now the base of operations for the Gold Lantern Corps, who we will be using to run interference."

"The Guardians of where?"

Time Trapper freezes for a moment.

"Universe. Sorry, I just call them that because they-"

"Because they don't guard the universe." / "-don't guard the whole universe."

Time Trapper maintains eye contact for a moment, then returns to the machines.

"I can make the tuning fork perfectly well from here, but without the Black Lantern… I'm not sure how to get it working."

"Indigo Lantern?"

"Might work as a substitute. I suppose we don't really have much choice."

Red frowns. "What the heck is a Gold Lantern?"

"Not all parallels use the same emotional spectrum system. Sometimes, the colour of the rings comes from the material used to make them."

I nod. "The pre-War of Light system."

"If you say so. I'll open-."

"What will happen to Black?"

Time Trapper steps away from the fabricator and faces Red.

"I don't know for sure. Studied, probably. The fact that he didn't pick him up early on suggests that Krona doesn't consider him vital. If Krona destroys him… If we're successful then I should be able to restore him."

"There wasn't really much going on in Indigo's parallel. Red can handle it on his own if you want to send me somewhere else."

"Somewhere e-?" His hands leave his sleeves, showing three crystals. "Three. That's what I managed to grab before we left. One-" He holds it up. "-will be used to improve our concealment. Two-" He holds it up as well. "-will be kept so that we can force their entry points shut. That leaves three, for letting you pick up Indigo. I couldn't send you somewhere else even if I had somewhere to send you."

I nod solemnly. "Okay." I turn to Red. "You should be able to find him easily enough. And he's-. Well, compassionate. There shouldn't be any trouble persuading him."

"No need to rush. It might actually be better if you're there rather than here. Without the spire we can't conceal you, but it should still be a little less obvious if you're on an Earth variant where there's one of you already."

He tosses the crystal to the ground, where it generates a portal.

Red steps forward, then hesitates.

"Does this put you at risk?"

"We're out of options, Red Lantern. If we can't complete our work here, then we're lost anyway."

Red shrugs, nodding, then steps through the portal.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2020
  12. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

'the whole' not 'they whole'

Ah 'Inviolate', interesting enough story, but the whole Guardians being responsible for every single bad thing got kind of annoying at the end.

Almost thought it was some crossover universe with Marvel there:D

Hope we get to see Red interact with Saul.

Zoat is there any version of the SI that ended up with a non standard ring color, like say a Teal Lantern or something like that, and will you write a future chapter about them?

13. Cuchulin

Hmmm, obviously THIS Luthor is more like the DCAU or version than the one we are used to.

14. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

But... In most universes they do...

Cap'nSmurfy and Jaron like this.
  15. Cuchulin

16. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Yeesh. Talk about improvisation on the fly.

I wonder how they are all so calm. I would shit my pants if things went that wrong suddenly and all of existence was at stake.

17. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Hopefully the kid doesn't go too far. Who knows what defences this place has, and how hostile they might treat her...

Let's hope that does something to stop any pursuers...

Oh, that sounds concerning. A Luthor hideout?

Maul, please focus on the hacking, faster please...

Ow. Sounds like we won't be seeing Zaul again this episode...

If he didn't follow... Well, he was already dead. Now he's just a little less mobile.

Well, at least he helped. Brief as it was. On the upside, that timeline can be safely pruned or reset?

So, they're going to make their own tuning fork to fight Krona's. Going to give him some bad vibes?

Well, I was right. No doubt the cannons and drones were armed with Red Sun wavelength particle beams...

Great time to be having a nervous breakdown at the loss of faith in your ideology, huh?

Ah, OL? Do you even know how Violet rings do their healing?

Crunchy. Now, how badly are her clothes ripped? And would using the Violet ring give her pink crystals to cover up with? Or would she end up in something worthy of 'Ilsa the SS She-wolf'?:D

Nice to see she has no concerns about nudity, I suppose. But for the comfort of her allies, let's get her some clothes so she's not committing Full Frontal Assault?

Boy, he doesn't give a shit about anything, does he? I suppose he has a reason... Possible dissolution of time and space, and all that...

Not much call for clothing when all you wear is that natty purple robe, huh?:rolleyes:

Ah, advanced medical tech. Quick-healing for the win.

'Inviolate'? Wait, are you seriously...?

You did. Nice shout-out to a good story.

Oh, my, that was a freudian slip. Hell, that was nearly slip, petticoat and dress! :p

I think the Pauls are getting ideas about the identity of our purple-robed 'friend'...

Well, then, improvise! You have Red and Violet right here...

Well, he can channel Black. If he'll do it willingly... we'll see.

IE: Before Geoff Johns got his hands on things. Of course, he did have some great ideas...

Probably being dragged back to Krona's lab for study, I bet. Wonder how he'll react to seeing a Black Ring in the wild?

That's a big assumption, OL. Remember, you just got driven out of their base...

So Saul will be the last alternate showing up, unless or until our heroes manage to bring down Krona's macguffin device... Hopefully freeing all the Jades and Pauls to join the fight...

Presumably because Saul is enough of an anomaly in his universe that a second ping showing up won't stand out? Like shining a torch at the same target as a searchlight...

Good to see he can think of that, after being pissed off as much as he has today...

Of course, Narrative Causality means that they can't lose now. The more dire the situation for the heroes, the more likely they'll overcome it.

Well, then. Looks like we get to see what's been happening in the 'The Boys' universe tomorrow. Wonder how much has gone to shit in the wake of Vought-American's downfall?

18. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

They probably are nervous, but they also deal with serious situations all the time so they probably just don't show it.

Still think Inviolate wasn't such a good story, the writing was great, but the overall storyline of the Guardians being responsible for every single bad thing happening and somehow being involved in a billion conspiracies at once just felt like one of those bad HP fics that bash Dumbledore.
    Nice and good written story overall, but the idea that it was trying to show was just a bit annoying, at least to me.

Chojin there is the chance that due to time travel shenanigans Vought's downfall hasn't happened yet.
    Remember that Clayface was abducted somewhere in 2002, but Bats took Peter's ring sometimes in 2005, so maybe red will go before Vought's downfall.

It would be funny if Red comes back there sometimes in the future and people see him as Saul's angry older brother, assuming that Saul looks younger. don't know if he got the body mods the SI and Renegade got, but one of the workers in the building seemed to be checking him out so maybe.
    There was this story on SB with an Indigo SI that altered how he looked by thinking about making people comfortable in his presence and how they feel more comfortable around attractive people

19. Ace Dreamer

Ace Dreamer Questioning The Nature of our Realities

'controlled'?

Our heroes try and regain their breath. TT and RQ don't seem the most trusting people, do they? Time pressure, in more than one sense...

Mr Zoat and Chojin Patriarch like this.
  20. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

21. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Didn't realize this was the Inviolate fanfic universe until you pointed it out. Any chance other popular DC fanfics will show up in this story in the future Mr Zoat?

22. Cuchulin

??? They seem more or less common to me. Also how common or rare they are isn't the point, it's that the universe is SERIOUSLY EPICALLY HUUUUUUUUUUGE!! So the Oan's Guarding even just our Galaxy is a bit of a stretch (excluding things like the occasional crisis and things like Blackest Night that happen from time to time, though even then they don't seem to do much). Also not only in the universe way beyond huge our at least is constantly expanding in every direction at the speed of light.

23. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    Not that I've spent any time thinking about.

Something I found out a little while ago: did you know that the first character in DC to wield a blue ring was Oswald Cobblepot? It was decades before the War of Light, too.
    Thank you, corrected.
    Only if I've read them, so probably not.

24. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Hey can someone refresh my memory about this, but did what Time Trapper say about the color coming from the material mean that if they used a red material to make the ring the constructs would be red even if the ring was meant to channel say will or hope and not rage?

Cuchulin likes this.
  25. Mr Zoat

I don't believe that he's said anything about that.

26. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

He said that the color of the rings comes from the material used in their making.

So I was wondering if that means that if a red material is used would the constructs be red even if the ring is channeling some other emotion like hope?

zerofarad and AngelicKnight. like this.
  27. Mr Zoat

Probably. Though given that the whole point of the statement is that ring work different in different parallel universes, maybe not.

28. Maxx Crowley

Maxx Crowley I trust you know where the happy button is?

So Black Lantern just got squished immediately. I don't know if that's funny or annoying.

zerofarad, True Ninja and Darko like this.
  29. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

He only had enough ring charge to keep him animate and give him a bit of enhanced strength, so it isn't too surprising that he would be easily defeated.

He could still be around, just captured by Krona.

30. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

Why is Paul perfectly fine sending Red there by himself after the Buffyverse?
    If Red acted out on So many glorious targets there he can't miss in The Boys. Just throw a random attack at any crowd with a costume.

Ardy, DAT_NOOB, Jaron and 4 others like this.