1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Zoat is Max Mercury teaching Wally any of his super speed tricks?

Prince Charon likes this.
  2. thegamma

thegamma Getting some practice in, huh?

by under control do you mean he still has a soul cause that wouldn't make sense since oz said he only recently found out about the supernatural and that happened in the same episode that angel lost his soul.

NightmareWarden and Darko like this.
  3. jaelin910

jaelin910 habitual lurker

Which episode did Giles meet the Black lantern in, again?

Darko and Sceptic like this.
  4. Vorian

Vorian Versed in the lewd.

It's been established by now that the plot was off the rails even before Red Lantern happened to it.

Lupercal and Darko like this.
  5. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Apollo did glow brightly when fairly charged. That's more what I meant... So... Solar-emitting. I doubt Tamaraneans glow like the sun. The sisters might when using starbolts, but not just walking around...
    And I'm rambling... It's late, I need sleep...x3

NightmareWarden and Cuchulin like this.
  6. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Yes.
    Why are you assuming that Oz learned at the canonical time?
    The first chapter of the Black Lantern SI story I haven't written.

7. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Yeah this could be an alternate universe that differs from the show and not just in the presence Zaul being there, but in other ways.

Also nice to know about Max teaching Wally some tricks.

If you do a time travel plot in the future it can somehow involve Wally seeing as he may learn to time travel thanks to Max.

8. WereDragon

WereDragon Bookwyrm

Somewhat hypocritical. OL admonishes Raul for wasting time killing people he could (theoretically) kill later. Then wastes time inquiring about the memetic difficulties each of them have overcome.

Also it is likely that the Controllers reaction to a Black Lantern showing up would be at best ‘kill it with science’ and at worst ‘vivisect it for science’.

Bramble Thorn likes this.
  9. Mr Zoat

Max can only go forwards, so I imagine that Wallace would much rather not use it.

10. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Well if they are somehow stuck in the past I can see it being a useful skill to have

dogbertcarroll, Ardy and Vorian like this.
  11. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I didn't realize Paul still gets visions because of what Ambush Bug did. I thought those were just snapshots for our pleasure, not something that happens in-universe. Has Paul told anyone about his visions? I mean his new visions.

12. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

He told a member of the League or the Team about the first visions.

It is possible that Zoat will reveal how he got these new ones in the following chapters or the end of the episode.

Maybe he had a run in with Ambush Bug again, the effects from what he did to him are coming back, or some other adventure that somehow led to him getting a look into his alternates

jonasquinn, Ardy and Cuchulin like this.
  13. Siiracai The Supernal

Siiracai The Supernal Shadows and Balance

Good on Razefire for figuring out the second compulsion, all the way back on SV.

Cuchulin likes this.
  14. Zig

Zig Not too sore, are you?

It probably didn't help that Zoat was pretty inconsistent about it. After it was revealed, I found I think 10 instances on just that page of the story only thread.

15. PDV

PDV Revelation That Uncertainty Is Itself An Answer

@MrZoat: Is this quoting from something?

16. Idkusername

Idkusername Versed in the lewd.

Not really. OL chastises Raul and Angelina for interacting needlessly with the timeline and their alternate self in specific when they need to make sure that Krona doesn’t twig onto them, which the ending of the snippet implies he did.

17. Mr Zoat

Not that I remember, though it's quite possible that I've just forgotten it.

18. Idkusername

Idkusername Versed in the lewd.

A quick use of Google-Fu reveals nothing, so I’d guess probably not.

19. Galler

Galler Not too sore, are you?

I got nothing either. I had assumed it was a quote as it comes up a few times in story and is the kind of phrase that can easily stick with you. Although when I was searching I noticed that Zoat apparently used "horrors of the universe" previously, instead of "evils of the universe".

20. Viterbi

Viterbi Not too sore, are you?

"When I am confronted by the horrors of the universe I rejoice for when I am done there will be done less" sounds very much like something you'd read from main-line Less Wrong, the part that isn't crazy. It doesn't quite show up word-for-word in this post, for example, but the sentiment is clearly there.

21. Threadmarks: Repetition (part 17)
    Mr Zoat

In
    Between

Black focuses intently on the portal. "Hostile?"

"Of course it's hostile. I can feel the other versions of me he has hooked up to the machine he uses to generate it."

"And we're not being swarmed under with Manhunters because..?"

Time Trapper begins picking up shards of crystal and depositing them in his robe. "Because this place is protected. But imperfectly. Charging in will turn his assault force into an outwardly-directed blast of exotic radiation, but he can work around that problem given time." He looks at me. "Did Ambush Bug show you anything about how you should handle events like this?"

"No."

"Did he say anything that could be helpful?"

"No, but… When I met Doctor Schwab, he mentioned..? I don't know if it's important, but he mentioned that he was having some sort of contact with Grayven."

"Grayven? Darkseid's son?"

"I don't know anyone else with that name."

"What exactly did he say?"

"'Only from your point of view. From everyone else's, they got a quick lesson on the Antarctic's environment and an awesome fight with robots and pirates! And that Grayven guy, for the niche crossover appeal.'"

"Niche.. crossover-?"

I point at Red. "Teen Titans." Then at Black. "Buffy the Vampire Slayer."

Red frowns. "What?"

"You don't know who the Teen Titans-?"

"No, I know who the Titans are. I just didn't recognise the exact line-up."

"You don't remember the animated series?"

"Not with that line-up. Why? Do.. you?"

"I remember a Buffy the Vampire Slayer film."

"But not the television series?"

"No. I remember the comic series, which…" He frowns. "I watched Angel. I remember Buffy appearing in a few episodes. I didn't think it was important…"

Shit. Have I forgotten some sort of.. comic series, or Teen Titans reboot that.. I'm now living through? I didn't recognise how I was talking about my ring and I still can't say my name…

Time Trapper exhales sharply. "Your mental deficiencies are not pertinent at this stage. Were any of the versions of you which you've seen involved at all in parallel universe travel?"

"Blue's parallel has planeshifting technology, but they're a Crime Syndicate reality."

"That will have to-."

Red Queen tenses.

"They're-"

The universe around us shudders as the portal jerks wider, just in time to admit a huge robot.

"-through."

It's clearly a Manhunter, though at eight feet tall and nearly as wide it's far larger and less feminine than the previous batch we encountered. Its outer surface is red, shaped like a heroically proportioned humanoid sumo wrestler, the only breaks in colour being the purple-grey bands around its legs and forearms. Its chest-. The head is bucket-shaped, purple-grey face and two 'eyes' which I suspect are show. The front piece of the chest is transparent, clearly showing a woman-

Jade, that's a Jade.

-trapped there like I remember the pre-War of Light Manhunters did with captured Green Lanterns. It's using her in order to exist here.

"By the command of Krona, no man escapes the Manhunters."

My crystalline construct armour is already in place, and I put a shield in front of Red Queen and Time Trapper happens to be there. Red throws out construct magnets-on-poles, Angelika flies an evasive pattern while firing heat vision and Komand'r charges.

"Time-"

Angelika burns out its faux eyes, though the armour beneath proves far more resilient. Komand'r's eye beams hit the middle of the transparent section a second ahead of her fists. For a instant the Manhunter appears to be moving to block her, then the constructs hum and it trembles, not crippled but just slightly put off its stride.

"RRRRRAAAAGH!"

The Manhunter shakes at the hits, but isn't knocked back, much less actually damaged.

"-Trapper-"

The Manhunter's internal sections start to glow, and the crystal landscape around us starts to fracture.

"-what are-"

Time Trapper's hood jerks around. Great, he doesn't know what's happening either.

"-we doing?"

The spheres of bubbling wax twist and flow, moving through the air to form circles around the Manhunter.

Angelika darts to the Manhunter's right arm and grabs a finger, straining for a moment to bend it back and break it. A moment later it gives way and Red sprays red vomit into the breach-.

And then it moves.

Komand'r is pushed into the ground, fracturing crystal embedding itself in her flesh. Golden light flares around the hand Angelika is attacking, disintegrating an arc across her costume and leaving an angry red welt on her skin. The red light from Red's ring is redirected, drawn into a siphon deployed from the grey-purple bracer on its left forearm. And then it's in front of him, damaged face-.

Black hits it, ghostly white claws coating his hands and slicing through the Manhunter's chest-mounted containment unit-.

A small explosive detonates, and that Jade's head is reduced to a red smear.

No.

Violet crystal encases the Manhunter's arms and legs as Red grabs Komand'r and pulls back as fast as he can.

"Queen, anywhere."

"They're-. Jamming-."

The portal spasms again as the crystal around the Manhunter I trapped begins to crack. Their AIs aren't sophisticated enough to learn to feel love.

Red Queen sags as another, smaller portal opens. "Go."

Jade 32 appears from behind the spire and dives through, Time Trapper just behind her, and Angelika waits just long enough to get a nod from me before flying for it. Komand'r's gotten over her shock sufficiently to take Red through with her, while Black pulls back more slowly, alert for any sign of weapon-.

Another Manhunter drifts through their portal, opening fire as it comes! Black just tanks the shots-

"Go."

-and I fly through the portal.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2020
  22. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

'how you should' not just 'you should'

Hopefully the Jade that died was the one that fought Anti Green, or some other evil version like her nuke happy comic counterpart, and not Green Lantern Jade, or any of the more heroic versions of her like Batwoman, assuming she was captured.

23. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

fracturing -> fractured (?)

24. MondayMorning37

MondayMorning37 The worst part of Mondays

An Alchestbreach link? Excellent choice.

25. TheMidnightRook

TheMidnightRook Well worn.

Missing a "how", methinks.

Clearly.

26. Kalem_Lee

Kalem_Lee Well worn.

Oh thats not good Time divergent Pauls? True AUs?

27. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

So all the Paul's forget the exact universe they are in.

I knew some people said that hey don't remember that and may be mindwhammied because of that, but it is interesting to know now that we have a confirmation of this, don't think there was one previously

28. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Well, looks like it wasn't Saul talking yesterday. Time to ready the defences!

In between trying to erase him from 'continuity'? Yeah, no. They aren't on speaking terms...

Honestly, it'd be like trying to talk to Deadpool when he's in 'really weird' mode. All those asides to non-existant readers...

Oh, how red their faces will be if they ever find out about the renegade...

So, Ambush Bug was aware of the Renegade's existence, but had no complaints about him... How odd... He must have assumed it was the comics Grayven.

And yourself: Young Justice. But you don't know about that, do you?:p

...It's basically the Wolfman/Perez era early eighties with some visual tweaks and no Kid Flash or Wonder Girl... I guess the whole Jump City thing was the sticking point...

Man, the 70's had weird cartoons...

And it never occurred to him that something had to exist to bridge those gaps? That compulsion/memory hole is really strong, huh?

:V<Maniacal laughter> <coughing> Ow, my lung...

Those largely exist solely for a counterpart League to visit and confront... Because Mirror Universes...

Seriously, you guys should really have been preparing for a fight...

Crud, it's a Sentinel!

Oh, funky design. Krona must have had to do some fast building to make that...

So if she dies... It goes slurping back through its' portal... Or transitions from material to physics...

Roll for Initiative!

Oh, it's tough... This is gonna be a pain...

Really major pain. Damn bad guys, getting in the way of character interactions!

And it can rip space-time a new one? Hax!

Crud, it's extra bad when the guy in charge of knowing what's going on, doesn't know what to do!

Gonna take a lot more than that, I think...

Goddamn Puzzle Bosses!

Evidently she wasn't critical to Krona's plan, then... Also, incoming Violet-induced rage...

Okay, not too bad. I bet if that were Jade-16, things would have been a lot messier...

Oh, boy... Time to run. But where and when?!

Fighting retreat. Pain in the ass, but...

...Sometimes, there's no hope of winning.

Well, things just got a lot harder for these guys. I wonder where they're going to end up? Somewhere we've seen? Somewhere new? Tune in tomorrow, especially if Mr Zoat keeps posting this early!:D

...it trembles, not crippled but just slightly put off its stride.

29. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Faulty assumption.

30. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    No, the Jade that died was a split-off of Red Queen.
    No, the fracturing is ongoing.
    A what?
    Thank you, corrected.