1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Think it's because we are mostly used to the paragon, so even if these characters are interesting we aren't as used to them as paragon.

2. Idkusername

Idkusername Versed in the lewd.

Where is the Earth-16 Paragon Jade, anyway?

‘I couldn’t use my domain powers’ ?

EDIT: on the story only thread

3. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

She is busy fighting the Reach, so most likely somewhere in their periphery worlds

Cuchulin likes this.
  4. Idkusername

No, I’m saying why didn’t Krona go after her too?

5. Almoria

Almoria Getting out there.

So far Krona has only grabbed anyone while they are on earth. None of the snips we saw for the other Pauls and Jades were grabbed anywhere else. Personally I don’t find this crisis event all that interesting either, but that’s mostly for the constantly confusing point of view changes. Every chapter almost has a different POV, but it gets annoying trying to figure out which one it is each time. Also I really just want to get back to OG Paul.

Darko and dogbertcarroll like this.
  6. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Last time the SI saw her, somewhere in the Reach border zone.
    Yes? He could use his domain powers to rein her in.

7. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Still it would have most likely not have been that easy.

Now I gotta wonder how he would fare if he had to fight the Paragon and paragon fuses with the Ophidian, specifically the one from the renegade Earth 16.

One one hand he may be able to reign her in somewhat, but the paragon has enlightenment and can probably come to a more satisfactory deal with her than the renegade can, and that is just the renegade Ophidian, if he tried say the Earth 50 Ophidian, who exists in a universe where he doesn't have control over the orange CPB and thus has some nominal control over her, or even the paragon universe, where the Ophidian is practically obsessed with Paul.

Cuchulin likes this.
  8. Lupercal

Lupercal Not too sore, are you?

Pretty sure one of the Green Lantern Jades was taken from Oa.

9. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

That could mean he's taking people who have a power ring from places where they would be, like Oa, or those that don't have a ring from places they would be, like Earth.

Another reason he probably didn't go after Jade 16 is because he has enough versions of her already and doesn't see the need to go after another.

Cuchulin and Lupercal like this.
  10. 8BallDuck

8BallDuck Quack Quack!

Finally! I've finally finished binge-reading the entire Story Only Thread. :)

11. Idkusername

The sentence structure seemed to imply to me that it was too big of a task for him. Reading it back again I see what you were going for, but it’s not the clearest syntax on first impression, at least to me.

Darko likes this.
  12. Threadmarks: Duplication (part 16)
    Mr Zoat

17th May 2011
    03:04 GMT

"John, do it."

I generate a construct sword for a moment before dismissing it. I don't think that I could visually identify which Manhunters could drain it in the fraction of a second I'd have before committing to an attack. And while there are things I can do with red light in someone else's hands… I just can't get that angry at a non-sophont.

A golden aura builds up around our tuning fork's tines then the red colour is bleached from the sky. New Manhunters' appearances become fewer and fewer as the discolouration fades, until the sky reappears and no more materialise.

Krona on the other hand is being exactly the sort of high-handed shit I'd relish killing. Haven't checked the rules of engagement with Commander Gordon, but fortunately I'm not under any obligation to obey her. The only thing I need from her is transportation home, and we're basically on Earth One now. There have to be a dozen places I could get one.

"John?"

"It's holding, as far as I can tell. Krona can't open any more portals. Which means that he's stuck where he is and all he has is the Manhunters he brought with him."

Indigo raises his left eyebrow.

"Given that we're deliberately creating a link between our tuning fork and his, are we certain that he can't open one here? True, I'm happier that he's limited to one point of egress, but I don't want to underestimate a Guardian."

"We're not. John's already working on opening a portal that we control."

Obvious problem with that.

"You know how Krona's got a pile of power rings."

"You mentioned it. Everyone's been briefed on the capabilities of high-powered Highmasters. We're not underestimating him."

"Right, but you are aware that most of those rings are orange, right? And that unlike here, on most parallels colour defines function."

"Yes, I did read the briefing document you wrote. Everyone we send will have extensive training in resisting mind control and will also be enchanted by Doctor Fate for extra protection. I have planned operations like this before. I've also sent Lanterns to Okaara just in case we've got a Larfleeze as well."

I raise my right hand. "Understood. I apologise for doubting. You've clearly got everything under control."

"Don’t apologise for raising a concern. Apologise for not raising it before the mission started." She turns to Pariah. "Is that it? Are we past the crisis point?"

"I'm still here, so I very much doubt it."

I shake my head. "Who are you?"

"My name is Doctor Kell Mossa. I inadvertently enabled the Anti-Monitor to escape its prison, and so set off the first great Crisis. Since then I've been rendered immortal and indestructible, forced to move from crisis point to crisis point to witness horrors I'm helpless to stop."

Indigo smiles at him.

"But you try anyway."

He shakes his head. "What else could I do?" He smiles ruefully. "That's a serious question, by the way. Is there anything else?"

I nod. "Find whoever's teleporting you and kill them." Indigo glances at me, then looks away. "What? The Anti-Monitor's dead already, so it's not him. It's clearly directed. Kill them." I frown. "Speaking of killing people, are the Manhunters killing all of our alts on their tuning fork right now?"

Commander Gordon shakes her head. "Krona will still need them if he wants to escape. And when we attack, he won't be able to spare the resources to kill them."

Not like we can rescue them more quickly anyway-.

"Silly question, Doctor Mossa: you can't teleport around a crisis zone, can you? I mean, is the disaster supposed to happen here, or is it just something to do with this event?"

He floats there for a moment, then shakes his head. "My teleportation is purely involuntary. I just tried forcing it and nothing happened. As to exactly where it's happening, I have no idea."

"Is it inevitable?"

"Every world I've been drawn to has been destroyed. Alexander Luthor's Society destroyed and remade dozens of worlds in their insane attempt to create one correct Earth, or recreate the exact one that they wanted."

"Well, to quote Mustrum Ridcully, those other buggers can look after themselves."

"So long as you accept them saying the same thing about you."

I nod. "I can look after myself."

Indigo looks up at Commander Gordon. "Are there any injuries? If we're no longer under attack, I can-.

The sky… Blisters pockets of red. Each remains for a few seconds before fading-

"John?"

-back to normal, but more form-

"I don't know what he's doing."

-immediately after, the rate increasing until-.

Those… Are a bit bigger.

Seven… Titanic Manhunters appear, each glowing with a colour of the emotional spectrum. The brightest by far is the orange one, and I can feel the rings mounted in its chassis. There must be… Dozens at least. The others are a little less overwhelming, but they're all channelling their colours-.

How? The Manhunters we've seen are robots with basic combat AIs. Are these new ones actually sophonts, or-.

We're natural Lanterns. Krona's got-.

The Orange Titan glows brilliantly, huge bands of orange light blasting outwards! Gold Lanterns who try to block it are knocked back or simply disintegrated, while League members on the ground are knocked flying as the ground explodes! I see a blur that's probably Superman dart in and out, frantically trying to evacuate as many people as he can as the other titans from the red half of the spectrum head towards our tuning fork.

The Yellow Titan aims for John Stewart, yellow beams clashing with gold as the super-Manhunter duels with the human Guardian. Red is firing out streams of red shards, targeting any fliers who've evaded the orange wave. I stare up at it, shuddering with rage as my horns reappear. Are those rings Krona's work, or just rings he's stolen from other Red Lantern me's? How many heroes has Krona taken to power his latest omnicidal science experiment? How many did he just kill?

Blood boils through the skin of my palms, flowing into the runes for 'self' and 'power'. Don't know if that will do it com-.

The Red Titan finally fires at me, streams of red shards striking my shield and then as I raise my hands merging with it. The titan switches to other targets the moment it spots it but now that I've got a feel for the rages and hates of my own alter egos I don't need the direct connection. I just pull, my own shield growing as I do so.

I grin as I raise my hands, bands of red light churning in my hands as our emotions nearly-but-not-quite mesh and I prepare to blast-.

The yellow beam hits me in the side and smashes me into the tuning fork!

Last edited: May 22, 2020
  13. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Think it should be 'pass the crisis' not 'passed the crisis'

Think there should be some quote marks when Red said that quote

Does the orange titan Manhunter have the paragon in it, would explain why he's the brightest, well that and maybe most of the alt versions are orange wielders?

14. Queshire

Queshire Not too sore, are you?

Alas, the problem with charge up attacks.

15. thebishop8

thebishop8 Umm, ackchyually...

Change "out" to "our".
    Missing a full stop.

16. Irked

Irked Experienced.

Yeah things are escalating very quickly here, at this rate Paragon Paul becoming Paulphidian again seems pretty likely.

17. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Okay, I know that's not how it works but all I can imagine now is a towering Indigo Titan shouting

"GIMME A HUG!"

And the Violet one going:

"KISSES FOR EVERYONE!"

18. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

So I’m guessing the Green Manhunter (not J’onn) will be the weakest, if we assume the number of component rings influences their size. Any thoughts?

19. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

I hope not! or at least Paragon figures out a way to break free or other wise mess up Krona's plans.

ChestBurster and Darko like this.
  20. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Three words. One hell of a lightshow about to begin. Krona is not going to take this laying down, after all.

So far so good. But how long until Krona strikes back at them?

Too bad this is pre-Flashpoint, otherwise you could try and track down a Bleed-capable craft... Maybe a willing Flash could help, given a Cosmic Treadmill? Or maybe a Mother Box?

Yeah, I'd take that with a grain of salt too. Who knows just what Krona has in reserve?

Ehh... I foresee issues with that. What's to stop Krona setting up a trap or some sort of counter-vibration to block their access?

I'd be more worried about Seeker protocols kicking in. Admittedly, most of those Paul's Rings seem to be Hinon's prototype which lacks a Seeker mode, but still...

Oh crap. Let's hope Agent Orange doesn't take exception to being poked, if he's there. At best, he Tangs them and rolls over in his sleep. At worst... Well, there's a reason OL went the sneaky route, and Grayven Scry-and-died him.

I'd say "How would he know?" But he does have plenty of experience in these matters...

...Rendered by who? The great Hand which Krona was so intent on comprehending?

Good way to show he's not a monster. I'd say 'only human' but I'm not sure he was from any Earth. I wonder... What could he do with an Indigo Ring if he could keep one?

And a classically Red solution. Not likely to work, especially if it's something from beyond the Source Wall...

Oh, boy, tripping a lot of death flags for the Pauls... They're relying a lot on 'maybe's and 'what if?'s here, and that is bad planning...

I doubt the powers that make use of you would allow you such an ability. It would be too empowering.

And they still failed, if only because their compatriots weren't as insane.

Fair's fair. Everyone's got to look out for themself first, after all...

Save your ring charge, things are likely to get messy...

Oh look, Krona's poking the defences.

Gee, if only you had the eons of knowledge the Maltusian Guardians had. Databases can only go so far, after all.

Krona: "Send in the rest."

Crap. This is very bad.

Looks like the Jades are not the only ones he's using as resources...

Destruction Pulses on an Epic scale. The God-Machines of the Titanicus would be envious. Let's hope no-one important got dusted...

And Raul is getting pissed off. Looks like we're about to see that technique he was talking about earlier...

Just one problem with a slow-charging attack like this...

...It makes you a big target, without Tanks to take the aggro off you.

Cue the epic fight music, grab some popcorn and kick your feet up, folks, things are hitting the final act! And watch as we cut away to Clayling tomorrow.:p

Are we past the crisis point?
    "Are there any injuries?

21. Agent Orange

Agent Orange Experienced.

No need. Matt Saviour of the Multiverse Hagen has this prison break out thing in the bag. OL can just chill in his offscreen blue restraints while the others save the day!

22. PrinceJonathan

PrinceJonathan Versed in the lewd.

The Violet one is totally going to sound like Metaton and start singing Hard Drive.

Cuchulin, DAT_NOOB and Darko like this.
  23. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    Past, actually.

24. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

It should be indigo right? unless there's another red lantern floating around

25. BlueMangoAdea

BlueMangoAdea Alive. For now.

It's the red manhunter.

26. CTrees

CTrees Chasing the ring

"TIME FOR GROUP HUG"
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 8, 2020
  27. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

Ah my bad

28. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Hey Zoat is there going to be another episode after this one dealing with the Crisis like this one and the previous episode?

29. Ace Dreamer

Ace Dreamer Questioning The Nature of our Realities

Are you not familiar with the show biz adage, "Always leave them wanting more"? :)
    (Barnum? (the circus one))

30. Mr Zoat

Not directly. The next episode is a new story.