1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Paul doesn't either, the Vanishing point is far beyond the Entities ability to reach.

Cuchulin likes this.
  2. BlueMangoAdea

BlueMangoAdea Alive. For now.

Please provide evidence to prove your claims.

3. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Renegade seemed to believe he could summon his version of the Ophidian when he was on Earth 50, so maybe Paul, who has a very deep bond with his version could do so far more easily.

Even if he can't summon her he is still incredibly skilled in the use of an Orange ring and a ring wielder can go against a Guardian level being and potentially win, albeit with a great degree of difficulty and Krona isn't exactly in top form now.

True Ninja, DiceArt, Cuchulin and 3 others like this.
  4. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

The Vanishing Point is a point in time after the emotional spectrum's have collapsed into nothing.

Cuchulin likes this.
  5. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Time to show up the entire Gold Lantern Corps and Justice League.

Pretty sure he's just scared shitless right now. He doesn't have the proper understanding of fear to ever wield a yellow ring.

I hope that OL just goes straight to Paulphidian and wrecks Krona's shit. Also, a POV from Raul who remarks, "He wasn't kidding when he said he was better with an orange ring."

6. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

He is still an incredibly powerful and skillfull lantern even without the help of the Ophidian and Krona isn't in top form right now after his encounter with the renegade.

7. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

Only with bad DMs. Natural 20's are only for attacks. Otherwise you could keep jumping on the spot saying "I want to roll to jump to the moon."
    17, 12, 08, 16, 15, 02, 04, 12, 20! Critical success!

And that'd be a thing.

8. Awkward

Awkward Know what you're doing yet?

No DM worth their salt would ever okay such an action, even then the actions relating to acrobatics or agility or such are rolled using modifiers. And usually a DM would allow for one or two tries of an action, otherwise it devolves into every player making over a hundred rolls to get what they want completely breaking the game. It's why nobody allows infinite single actions.

dogbertcarroll likes this.
  9. TheEyes

TheEyes Well worn.

Your cite doesn't prove your claim.

Moreover, if the emotional spectrum doesn't exist at the Vanishing Point then all of the rings are just useless metal. Also wouldn't the Manhunters themselves not function? I'm pretty sure they're powered by green emotional spectrum energy.

Also, even if it were normally correct that the emotional spectrum didn't function, the fact that there's an open portal means that there is a link to a space where the orange light does exist, and therefore a window that the Ophidian can come through.

10. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.

11. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

So you do it every second sentence. Boom, not infinite single actions.

No DM should ever okay such an action, just as they should never okay critical failures on skill checks when you've got trained/expertise 10 Stealth, advantage, guidance, and +10 stealth from PwT. But it happens.

Lupercal likes this.
  12. Xelloss

Xelloss Know what you're doing yet?

Ha, an explosion happens and the chapter ends. Last update got me worried for a moment.

13. Soul Shocker

Soul Shocker Not too sore, are you?

There's the thing call Take 20, which is a way to take 20 turns to guarantee a 20.
    But that doesn't mean everything works at a 20 rolls.

It'll let you perform at your best, but that's gonna be jump 1 storey instead of to the moon (that DC is probably like in the hundreds, and no 20 will bring you there)

14. ForeverShogo

ForeverShogo Not too sore, are you?

Hmm. I wonder what colors the other "Mystic Lanterns" are, and which universes they come from.

They're apparently the most powerful of the various Pauls, with OL being the strongest of them.

I'll also say that even if one were to ignore that he was using a Violet Ring instead of his usual Orange Ring when Krona grabbed him, you're also ignoring the fact that Krona was critically weakened when Grayven hit him with the Sword of the Fallen.

So assuming that a second confrontation would go identically is the height of foolishness.

15. hance1986

hance1986 A pitiful excuse for a man.

With all these spare rings and lanterns, would it be possible to spare a set for Peter Wynne at the end? Say Clayface smuggled a ring and power lantern inside his mass? I like the road he's walked as a muggle, but I'm interested to see what he could do with a functional ring in his position.

16. SirKaid

SirKaid Know what you're doing yet?

The SI, being a grandmaster level Orange ring slinger on top of being a natural, can function with a ring of any colour. Many of the skills are cross compatible after all; while his specific skill with avarice doesn't help, he still knows how to focus on a specific emotion and how to effectively visualize what he wants to do.

So he's not useless with other rings, including the violet ring he was saddled with earlier, he's just not grandmaster level with them. Not rookie level, more along the lines of an average rank-and-file veteran.

Not surprising that Krona could get the best of him in that state; Krona is a grandmaster level enemy. He's got a lot of manhunters on his side but he's also injured, so it balances out.

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

Ngamer11, Vorian, Cuchulin and 2 others like this.
  17. Rafin

Rafin Not too sore, are you?

Mr Zoat How many Red Lanterns are there actually? Or for that matter, how many of any non-orange color, counted separately? Are there many more Lantern Pauls of all kinds of colors than the ones you have described or shown off? Is it an arbitrary amount?

18. Impartial Panic

Impartial Panic I trust you know where the happy button is?

Time for Operation: Hit bad guy make fall down.

19. Mr Zoat

I don't have a fixed number in mind.

There are mes of each colour present, though far more orange ones.

20. PDV

PDV Revelation That Uncertainty Is Itself An Answer

I suspect yoinking Manhunters requires some ba-BUM. Which may be difficult at the end of time.

Cuchulin and Darko like this.
  21. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Zoat have you written any other stories aside from this one one and it's Eros counterpart, and if you had can you leave a link or just write the names?

NightmareWarden likes this.
  22. PDV

PDV Revelation That Uncertainty Is Itself An Answer

D&D explicitly allows infinite retries of an action and any DM who forbids it is an asshole. There's even a shortcut for "I keep trying until it works", which is taking 20. The core books explicitly add that in circumstances where take 20 isn't allowed, like when a low Climb roll would make you fall and get injured, you should let them keep trying as much as they want. Also, RAW in 3rd is quite clear that you technically roll for everything; roll Listen to hear a casual campfire conversation, roll Balance to walk down the street wthout falling. But if a nat 1 would succeed, usually because the DC is negative, you skip physically making the roll because the outcome is known.

Incidentally, the DC to jump to the moon is approximately 5 billion. Height in feet * 4.

23. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

The rings are battery's, not channelers.

dogbertcarroll likes this.
  24. Mr Zoat

Ah, I posted about one part of a Bucky O'Hare and the Toad Wars fanfiction on a long-defunct website over a decade ago. Aside from that, no.

Though I did have an idea for a Gate/Old World Blues mash-up while out shopping today. The Enclave goes Reform and conquers its immediate neighbours and then the gate opens near New Reno. President Granite moves to occupy what is referred to in official documents as 'the special area' in order to covertly increase the Enclave's industrial capacity in the run up to war with the NCR.

25. Ace Dreamer

Ace Dreamer Questioning The Nature of our Realities

I will admit to liking that show... It'd got an energy you rarely see... Also felt a lot more could've been done with it, but, c'est la vie. (That's French for 'pity they killed it' :) )

The catgirl 'Jenny' may have made it quite popular with some...

Last edited: May 9, 2020
    Darko likes this.
  26. Mr Zoat

[​IMG]

27. Ace Dreamer

Ace Dreamer Questioning The Nature of our Realities

Now I'm wondering if there's a ring-tailed raccoon, from the Aniverse, attached to the tuning fork with the SI. :)

(To avoid confusion, I just invented the raccoon. :) )

28. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Catgirls as a sexual subject people can enjoy may have been entirely ruined with the movie Cats.

29. Idkusername

Idkusername Versed in the lewd.

Catwoman came out way before Cats. Trust me, it’s easier to change people’s political leanings than their kinks and fetishes.

30. ForeverShogo

ForeverShogo Not too sore, are you?

You know, I got curious. Decided to look up this Toad Wars thing. Then I learned that Jenny the Catgirl is super fucking creepy because she openly lusts after a pre-pubescent boy.

Cuchulin and Darko like this.