1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Queshire

Queshire Not too sore, are you?

Hmmmm.... even if they're the same guy that was pretty quick to agree. Still, I suppose one of the perks of orange enlightenment is that you never really need to ask someone to let you sleep on an offer.

2. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

I expect OL doesn't completely recognise the setting, then. One of those things you picked up after the time you chose for OL to be taken from?

Heh, who'd have thought a series largely based around selling cat-people He-Man copycats and their cool vehicles to children wouldn't make perfect sense?:rolleyes:

So there's at least two other Yellow Pauls out there? Or Jades, or a combination of the two... Wonder where they're stuck?

And given what he did in canon to make a Yellow Ring, I don't recommend asking...

Oh-ho, Gabriel!Paul got snatched at some point? And I'm sure Gordon wouldn't mind handing out rings...

...You know, with a little practice and some charge, Yaul probably could manage himself. How hard would it be to give him the specs? (Hint, hint)

See? He's definitely interested. Though he might need to put some skill points on Ring Mastery...

Hmm... Like Darko asked, how does OL look? I'm picturing something a little more oriental in hairstyle? Not a tonsured queue, but more like a little bun on top? Think Cao Cao in Dynasty Warriors (nice hair ornament optional.):p

o_O You could have done that at any time, couldn't you? And you let him sweat because...?

The joy of wonky Timey-Wimey stuff.

And the prize for Understatement of Time's End goes to OL!

I'm guessing he snagged a charge from the other Yellows before they left. He should have, if he was smart.

Picturing both a smirk and a Spock Eyebrow here. Love that tone.

And the snark here. It's dripping all over the floor!:D

Ah, finally, OL learns the details of that little Time-Travel incident earlier, not that he remembers it anyway.

Nihilophobia, as you put it earlier? Would sound unlikely that you'd overcome it for the sake of another you.

"I'm going to be well within my rights to punch you in the face. Righteously so, even."

A running thing for the emperor of dickhead scientists. Remember JLA/Avengers?

You might say it's his super-power, in fact. He must really have sunk a lot of points into the rarely-used Common Sense tree. Most people ignore it because it defuses all the fun...

Ah, yes. DC's attempt to have a Multiverse during a period when Multiverses were banned via Editorial Fiat. But writers gotta write alternate universes...

So, indulging in some universal mechanics. And the tuning fork is his wrench?

Hopefully without the cliche, "Muhahaha! There's nothing you can do to stop me!" That would just get him stomped by narrative causality.

It's what he Wants, after all. And one thing OL is good at, is making prospective enemies get what they want so that they don't become enemies.

So, not much longer until all the Pauls and Jades have been sent home. Presumably, Maul and OL won't have to go anywhere, since this is Earth-16's Vanishing Point. At least it's an easy commute while he's helping Maul...

This way I got a chance to recreate it, to change things-." (Unless that was intentional...)

3. Ace Dreamer

Ace Dreamer Questioning The Nature of our Realities

You should have "A Wizard did it", in there, somewhere, and at far worse odds, "A Lizard did it", just to be really thorough. :)
    [​IMG]

Because lizards improve everything. :)

This is a fun scene, here. OL is talking to himself, and if you can't figure-out where you, yourself, are coming from, your own motivations, particularly if you can see them in other 'yous', then, you aren't going to do a good job in figuring out Life. Of course, different histories and we don't know how long Time Trapper has had in personal subjective time since they split.

I think you Mr Zoat are very brave to dare and write a story like this. Time travel really messes up the logic of most stories and confuses things on a grand scale. Then there's all the different flavours of time travel, and how splits occur, never mind playing fast-and-loose with causality. This story mostly hangs together and is a fun read. Congratulations! :)

I continue to want to see where this goes. Hypertime really messes with things on a grade scale!

Last edited: May 17, 2020
  4. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Except even if he helps him there's still the possibility it will massively damage the multiverse.

5. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Saw that coming. Hopefully this actually works out. Then the Paragon can go back and file one of the most confusing reports the Justice League has ever gotten. Also, how would Jordan and Stewart react to finding out their counterparts replaced the Guardians?

6. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Uff, okay, wait.

Time Trapper Paul is a version of Paul that got created through a time paradox.

He sacrificed his unstable line to recreate Big Orange.

But he wanted his own back.

Teamed up with Krona.

Krona wanted too...use all alternates to collapse their multiverse cluster to observe the event?

Now Trapper Paul has a new chance to alter time itself to allow his original line to exist again?

Did I get it right, Zoat?

7. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

And if he doesn't help him is ANOTHER CRISIS after they just deal with one hours ago.

Both options can fuck things up, so why not pick the one were he helps himself?

8. Lothlo

Lothlo Not too sore, are you?

I see a future "Council of Pauls" or a "Paralel Assembly of Uniformed Lanterns" as a way to keep contact, share notes, offer help to those Lanterns stranded in difficult dimensions, face off Crisis level dangers.

9. Agent Orange

Agent Orange Experienced.

I don't get it. Doesn't the hypertime already exist? Renegade is also a single change away from Pavlos and on an instance of Earth-16. Same goes for Sybarite I think. So what's up with this? Why is Maul's instance wrong. Why does he need to create something that already seems to exist? Am I misunderstanding what 'hypertime' is?

10. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey I trust you know where the happy button is?

Who can't actually call themselves that, because none of them can say that name.

11. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

You forgot option 3.

Paul doesn't help Time Trapper, and instead stops Time Trapper before he can even make the attempt thus not putting the multiverse at risk at all.

moralrelativity and Darko like this.
  12. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Hypertime is alternate universes of the "every possibility happened somewhere."

So yes, Mandate Earth would already exist in Hypertime, in fact every permutation of Mandate Earth would exist in hypertime.

I would assume the issue is more personal than cosmic, here.

Yes, Mandate Earths exist in Hypertime.

But they aren't Mandate Paul turned TT's Mandate Earth, they would have their own Mandate Pauls.

Power Girl had a similar experience. She's from Earth-2. Dimensionally travelling, she came across an Earth-2. An Earth-2 that already had its own Power Girl.

He's looking for a Mandate Earth where he isn't an extra jigsaw piece.

13. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.
    Sounds about right.

14. Old Knife

Old Knife Not too sore, are you?

Fallout Paul/Krononeeds to be here. It's like he's missing a party.

Cuchulin, True Ninja and Darko like this.
  15. Agent Orange

While I like the explanation that's not quite what he said. I could be having a reading comprehension failure but I think he said that he wants to change how the local multiverse cluster reacts to time shenanigans from '(big enough) change to the past changes the present' to '(big enough) change to the past creates a new branch/stable parallel timeline'. So that Mandated parallel can exist without Gaia Time constantly trying to erase it from existence. Am I wrong?

edit: If all he wants is a Mandated parallel why not just pick one where he never appeared or where he died early in his career? He wasn't the one who caused that timeline to happen, Vandal Savage did.

Last edited: May 16, 2020
  16. Z3r0Sama

Z3r0Sama Not too sore, are you?

Bill and Ted solution.

Time Trapper:After beating you I will go back and give myself the very thing I used to beat you!

OL:I got that reference! Also fuck timeywimey!

17. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

You forget that while having a ring he would be basically be facing himself, only the other him has time powers and is better prepared.

Meanwhile Paul doesn't have all his stuff.

Prince Charon and Darko like this.
  18. Stsword

Yes, I know what he said.

In my explanation, Gravy's, Common Sense Paul's, and Sybarite's YJ-Earth exist as shown.

In Mandate Paul's explanation, they don't exist, because according to him universes don't branch.

When/if Mandate Paul explains how these extra universes happen to exist, there seems to be a hole in his theory. A hole big enough for a universe.

Agent Orange and Darko like this.
  19. Agent Orange

Simurgh did it?

edit: also, should [Paul Trapper] be distinct from [Maul] ? They were originally the same Paul instance.

IsActuallyBatman likes this.
  20. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

On Grayven's Earth, four leaf clovers are very common and five leaf clovers are considered lucky.

It hasn't come up in the story yet.

/troll

21. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Hey Zoat how many more Paragon centered episodes are we going to get before we see a renegade centered one again?

Typically your style seems to be a handful of paragon chapters before making one or sometimes two renegade ones and I was just wondering if it was going to be like this in the next few episodes.

22. Agent Orange

Oh, well, such a drastic difference explains everything. Next thing you'll tell us that Mandated Earth produced 3 seasons of Firefly (just with gratuitous English instead of gratuitous Mandarin).

23. The Chosen One

The Chosen One Getting out there.

A mysterious figure in a hooded purple robe, until recently. In this chapter specifically I think Paul is just being sarcastic.

24. Ace Dreamer

Ace Dreamer Questioning The Nature of our Realities

Someone needs to grab copies of those, and subtitle them. :)

Agent Orange, Vorian and Darko like this.
  25. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

If OL does go to other universes that were created by fanfic writers then he can go to the universe of 'Assimilation' by Satire Swift.

There were apparently 5 seasons of Firefly produced in that universe.

Sadly there was no Farscape.

Vorian likes this.
  26. Stsword

A five leaf clover is supposedly just as lucky as a four leaf clover, just as the fourth leaf brings luck, the fifth is supposed to bring wealth.

This useless bit of trivia sponsored by my googling the significance of five leaf clovers after Black Clover got me curious as to what the folklore actually was.

27. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

With OL saying goodbye to his alternates I can't help but wait in anticipation for his farewell with Raul.

That particular version truly is a treasure.

He reminds me of a certain knight.

Like this knight his beautiful words and eloquence have won him the heart of a beautiful...ahh...'maiden'...yeah let's go with that.

28. Idkusername

Idkusername Versed in the lewd.

I knew what was coming the moment you began talking about a certain knight.

ironically, my favourite line from the scene is, “That’s what happens, though. You’ve see it!”

Either Arturia walked in on them in flagrante, or the three of them were having happy friendship times together. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

DAT_NOOB, Wheenesss and Darko like this.
  29. Lupercal

Lupercal Not too sore, are you?

Calmly talking things out like rational people for the WIN!

30. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Paul did talk to his common sense version so maybe that version gave him some tips on how to behave.

Sadly it may not be that much, or else Paul would just steamroll every single challenge he faces in the future if he had some common sense on top of his already existing powers.

One of the reasons common sense may not be so prevalent in the DC universe is because of Darkseid and Highfather.

In the fic 'Judiciary Misadventures' the author states that there was a New God of Common Sense once, but he was becoming so powerful that Darkseid and Izaya teamed up and sealed him in the Source Wall.

This is an excellent explanation for why common sense isn't so common in the DC universe.

...Oh my jumped up elemental I think the Common Sense Paul may become the new New God of Common Sense.

I mean renegade was able to become Grayven by essentially mantling him, and yeah I know Zoat said it is not Mantling, but from everything I've seen it practically is a textbook definition of mantling, acting a certain way and being supernaturally influenced to take on certain traits by acting that way, like Renegade gaining some of Grayvens memories by pretending to be him, so it stands to reason that common sense Paul can become the new Common Sense Man by mantling the guy and and acting in a sensible manner.

Once he reaches his full power he shall be unstoppable