1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

If one of the Paul's tells him some of the things that happen in Canon, like Rimbor and the Light and Reach thing, Tiamat etc., it can help him better prepare.

2. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

Tons of reasons to tell Paul about YJ.

If you told Earth-12 Paul about the Thanagarian Invasion he wouldn't have wasted all his charge. If you told a hypothetical Earth -50 Paul about the JL going police state, he could flee the planet before Luthor became barbecue or possibly talk them down as a fellow superhero.

Future knowledge, even knowledge rendered technically non-canon by Paul-based changes, is never useless.

True Ninja, Vorian, Ngamer11 and 2 others like this.
  3. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

Actually he couldn't, his ring is out of power and he wouldn't have any where to go anyway. Giving him another full charge and a hint on where to find a unused lantern would be much better help.
    Which reminds me, in which chapters did Paragon near effortlessly beat the DCAU League? I'd love to reread that.

True Ninja and Darko like this.
  4. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

He beat them during some of the last chapters of Dopplegangered.

Don't remember the exact chapters though, sorry.

Ardy and Cuchulin like this.
  5. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Keep in mind Zoat nerfed them pretty heavily from their on screen capabilities.

6. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

He didn't so much as nerf them as he had his character, who is a extremely powerful and skilled ring wielder, surprise attack them using methods he developed to fight the League in case they are controlled or go rogue.

He has a great deal of knowledge on how their abilities work while they don't know anything about him.

If he fought them while they were prepared things could have gone in their favor.

7. Cuchulin

This, they were basically ambushed by a opponent who both knew their abilities and weakness as well as being near perfectly positioned to take advantage of both.

Vorian, Ardy and Darko like this.
  8. Gantradies

Gantradies Not too sore, are you?

this is one of the times Vae has a point-and a pretty good one, if you ask me!

regardless of the precautions taken, dimensional engineering on this kinda scale will allways have risk involved, especially if you're charging straight on into the project using stolen equipment that you dont understand- id be...more then a little twitchy about doing a small scale test with the equipment on hand on a pocket dimension/empty, SMALL universe,after several years of going through the theory/circuitry and programming-
    charging straight on in like this, working on one that isnt just inhabited, but in the process of an energy state/vaccum (if i understand correctly) collapse?? its recklessness on the level of the infamous "tickling the dragons tail" criticality experiments that got Slotin killed from massive radiation exposure after he dropped the screwdriver he was using to stop that chunk of plutonium going critical....
    for context, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demon_core

i mean-it.. it isnt just a risk, its an IDIOTIC risk-isnt the Mandate Timeline-chunk in mostly-stable stasis? wheres the rush?

....can anyone else hear "Common Sense"(TM) Paul screaming off in the distance?

Last edited: May 17, 2020
  9. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

He nerfed them in a number, many of which I can list off the top of my head.

Both Superman and Flash were capable of near light speed movement in the DCAU with Flash even having the capabilities to go faster yet he cut their speed to almost nothing in comparison.

He nerfed Flash again, because Freeze Ray's don't effect the DCAU Flash in that manner.

He nerfed Superman again by making him weak to another universe's kryptonite.

He nerfed Nth Metal, because DCAU Nth metal disrupts constructs on contact, yet he was handling Hawkgirl's mace with his tendrils.

Gantradies likes this.
  10. Gantradies

Gantradies Not too sore, are you?

to be fair, the movement speed nerf IS understandable from a writing perspective, if you're focusing on keeping things consistent/manageable, that kind of movement speed has a lot of potential for causing writing problems.... trivialising threats

could you throw us a few links/examples for the stuff about Nth metal, out of curiosity?

Darko likes this.
  11. Ardy

I think, when you refer to their speed, you’ve had a stroke, because in virtually every episode they have to fight and get hit, which would not be the case if they could move at near light speed.

Unless by near light speed you mean “pretty fast, I guess” which would significantly more accurate

Cuchulin, david and Darko like this.
  12. Senevri

Senevri Not too sore, are you?

Speaking of nuclear fission, remember when the people were afraid it would set the earth's atmosphere on fire? Good times...

Now, there was a mathematical proof that it wouldn't, but the proof could always be wrong.

You're operating on the logic of BvS: If there's even an infinitesimal chance that Superman might go evil, you gotta kill him now, regardless of his current character or intentions.

Now, knowing that this is a story, we know something is going to go wrong, but also that it's not going to do so in a multiverse-annihilating way.

13. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

They're fast, but not that fast most of the time.
    Yes they can go at those speeds but they need time to build up and the paragon took them down before they could.

Cold guns from earth 16 may work on the Flash.

Kryptonite from alternate universes may not always work, but some variations may be able to work.

The Nth metal from earth 12 may not work on power ring constructs, or the SI figured out a way to make his constructs resistant to the stuff if he was planning on fighting the Hawks.

It may not go wrong.

We all thought that what Sunset was doing would go wrong, but she succeeded in becoming an Alicorn.

14. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

If someone has to nerf a side to make their SI win, they shouldn't have them fight in the first place because it's both disrespectful to the source material and bad writing in general.

I believe it was Starcrossed, where a thanagarian literally cut apart John's ring.

Cuchulin likes this.
  15. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Again Nth metal from earth 12 may not work on rings from earth 16, or its possible that the Nth metal weapons were designed to damage green rings and that's why they couldn't do that to Pauls ring.

Cuchulin likes this.
  16. Ardy

Stop Vaerminaposting if you’re just going to ignore all evidence to the contra- oh right.

17. Cuchulin

They need to activate and build up to that speed, neither can or does go from 0 to near light in under half a second.
    Flash + Freeze ray can be explained as different universe or different sort of Freeze ray, also him not being effected like that doesn't make sense as cold slows things down as it's the absence of motion on a molecular or atomic level.
    Superman not being affected by any sort of Kryptonite but what can be found in his own is kinda stupid, Kryptonite should be Kryptonite.
    Nth Metal? Why should Earth-12 Nth Metal effect Orange Light or a Lantern construct from another universe the same as it does on Earth-12. Also Paragon has trained to fight the Hawks from his universe that use Nth metal weapons.

BlueMangoAdea and Darko like this.
  18. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey I trust you know where the happy button is?

Did the tendril grab it by the head or the handle? Because the handle would have been covered by a grippy insulating material.

Vorian, Cuchulin, Darko and 1 other person like this.
  19. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Stop Ardyposting if you're just going to keep making claims that aren't backed up by things in the source material.

Actually they were shown going from a full stop to DBZ can't see anything till they appear level superspeed in the DCAU.

Unlike the Young Justice Flash, the DCAU Flash get's his speed from the Speed Force, and it laughs at physics.

Krypton is destroyed in a different manner in almost every single setting.

A better question is why you would assume Kryptonite from a planet destroyed by Brainiac, would be the same as Kryptonite from a planet destroyed because it had a uranium core that went supercritical, or one destroyed due to destabilization caused by geothermal power taps, or even one that was destroyed because it's star went nova.

Simple fact is, like Kryptonians are different in every setting, so to is the Kryptonite.

Because the DCAU did the Crisis Two Earth's and their Nth Metal was actually shown to.

[​IMG]

In the DCAU Hawkwoman's mace has no grip, it's Nth Metal all the way down.

Xmaster3000 and PurpLexed like this.
  20. BlueMangoAdea

BlueMangoAdea Alive. For now.

21. Threadmarks: Duplication (part 25)
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Plan 'Don't Fuck Up The Universe'
    Is In Effect

"So this will make changing time… Impossible."

"Well… Sort of."

Red Queen is patiently waiting a short distance away while Time Trapper makes the final alterations to the tuning fork. Angelika's staying back a little, clearly not entirely sure that this is something we should be doing but willing to let my judgement stand.

"You could go back and change time, but all that would do is create a new future separate to the one you knew. You could just go and live in that new future and from your point of view it would be exactly as if you'd changed your own history. And no one else would know anything had happened apart from you disappearing."

"But there'd be two of you."

"You say that after being strapped to a giant tuning fork with two hundred of us." He floats back, lowering the tool he was using. "Most of the time it wouldn't be a problem. It doesn't take much to prevent a person being born. It's only-."

"People from parallel universes. Like us."

"I was on our Earth for over a year before I found out about the temporal change. I just thought I was on an Elseworld or something."

"So… What is different?"

"Most things. Somehow…" He glances at Red Queen. "Jade got born, but our history was changed over two thousand years ago. America was mostly colonised from Asia, we're firmly in the space age… Well, were and will be again."

I nod.

John Stewart's eyes glow as he looks over Time Trapper's work.

"And you're sure this will just change your parallel?"

"As sure as I can be. Having that many alternate versions of myself let me eliminate them as variables. There isn't anything else I can think to do that will increase my chances." He floats back a little more. "So if you're planning on forcing me to stop, let's have this out now."

John ignores the challenge. "I can't tell exactly what this thing will do, but it isn't going to affect any other parallel universes. I'll give you as much help as I can."

"Thank you." He nods. "Thank you."

"What do we do?"

"Not a lot, really. If everything works as it should, the worst you'll see is me evaporating."

"What?"

"Hm? Oh, no, it won't kill me. 'Time Trapper' is a chronal aberration, and what we're doing should reintegrate me within my own timeline with my memories intact at the point where Vandal Savage originally left in yours. I'm not planning on recreating something I can't enjoy myself."

"If you're gone, how do I get home?"

"You might just snap back when I do, but…" He waves his right hand at the tuning fork. "Just in case, it's set to open a portal to the point where you left."

"What do you want me to do?"

"Oh, nothing. Just being here to give the tuning fork your temporal variance is enough." He claps his hands together. "Right. Starting it now. If you feel anything off, then… Either you're wrong or it's too late."

I… Do try to feel anything, but aside from a slight glow coming from the tuning fork I'm not getting… No, there's… Something, but-. A weak-. No, not weak, just… Small.

My favourite book is Small Gods by Terry Pratchett, and there's a scene where Lu-Tze asks Brutha to hold his bonsai mountain. Brutha describes it as weighing thousands of very small tonnes. That's the best comparison I can think of to the desires I'm feeling. I suppose… I mean, I don't have any special abilities related to time or the Bleed. It-.

Time Trapper holds out his hands, and…

My word.

A… Shape, filled with lights, and… Desires, appears in front of him. The outer edge of it looks… Frayed, as if something was wearing it away. I look at him with an interrogative frown.

"My timeline. Or.. rather, a moment of it. All I was able to preserve. But now…"

He holds out his hands, the… Time… Moment.. thing, floating upwards until it sits between the tuning fork's tines. Then it expands, spreading out, rippling and finally vanishing.

Oh.

Oh.

"We met before. Brainiac Five brought me to the future after that mess with the Eliminations Inc people. And then it…"

"Never happened." He nods. "A moment erased by the functioning of time, now returned by the function's alteration. It always existed, it was just…" He looks at his hands as they begin to fade. "Wasn't… Connected. And now… I can't thank you enough for making-."

For a moment I frown, trying to remember who I was talking t-. Time Trapper. Who was me, who now… Presumably is when he was supposed to be. Good for him, I suppose.

The tuning fork dims, and a new portal swirls into being between the tines.

"Angelika, I think this is us."

She nods, coming closer. "This has been a strange… But productive day."

"Red Queen? What are your plans?"

"I'm keeping Vanishing Point. And the tuning fork. Since I'm the only one who understands how it works."

John nods. "This is a capacity we don't want anyone to use, but that we want to keep our hands on just in case."

I nod. "Sensible." I take a last look around. It's fascinating that these places exist, but… There isn't really anything here for me. I focus on returning to Jade and accelerate towards the portal, Angelika close behind me.

2nd April 2012
    09:12 GMT -5, yet again

And… Back in the mountain. In front of the giant hole Angelika made in the wall between the corridor and the emergency exit staircase.

"Ah." … "Oops."

I hold out my left hand and call my rings. They arrive a few seconds later, a visibly confused Ghia'ta hurrying along behind them. I toss her her ring as I don my own, then raise my hand and repair the wall.

Ghia'ta stares at us both. "What just happened?"

I complete the wall, blocking us from her sight.

"I do so like being able to wave my problems away."

Angelika smiles. "I think that I will spend the rest of the day with Raquel. I'm sure that she has many things she could tell me about the achievements of the negro people."

"If she asks-" Wall… Good as new. Now I'm going to write up a report for Hinon and another for Batman, then… I'm going back to bed. "-that wasn't my idea."

Last edited: May 18, 2020
  22. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

It's more been rendered obsolete.

23. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

'do I' not 'to I'

Did Time Trapper restore his Mandate universe?

Last edited: May 17, 2020
  24. Idkusername

Idkusername Versed in the lewd.

‘as much’

25. Cuchulin

Maybe start with movie Zulu, then go onto the Zulu Wars (more than a few battles where the British lost), talk about the Buffalo Soldiers and end with the time Super man lost a boxing match to "The Greatest".

26. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Supes probably never boxed with a normal human.

Though if he fought Icon that could help.

27. GodKiller999

GodKiller999 Getting out there.

Feels like something is missing, like he should of had some kind of epiphany or personal development and it just didn't happen.

Navi-Hank and NightmareWarden like this.
  28. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

So... How long till we find out they fucked up the Multiverse?

29. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

This is not the sort of thing where "Sort of..." is an acceptable answer, Maul. o_O You really need to be sure on the matter.

Ah, the 'split timeline' form of temporal mechanics. One of the most annoying ones. Because whatever you do won't help your original timeline...

And Time is usually forgiving of that sort of thing. If someone important isn't born, sometimes it can make do with someone else almost the same.

It'd have felt like one hell of a weird one, that's for sure.

To be honest, the world we have right now depends on a lot of incidents and flukes. If any one of those things never happened, the world could easily become a very different place.

I can understand his worry. After all, they just spent the last couple of subjective days dealing with Krona trying something a lot worse...

Heh. I suspect there's more than a little hope in there, under the Will.

Er... And that's a good thing? I mean, if this doesn't work, you'd likely cease to exist anyway...

So... If all this goes well, he never even remember any of this happened, and can get back to his double-date with two different Jades.

How gracious. Of course, that's contingent on all going well in the first place...

That does not bode well... At least it'll be quick?

Not yet, anyway. In time, it'll make sense to you.

Not a lot left of it, but I'm sure he's accounted for that...

Man, if this was ever animated, it'd have to be as trippy as the Astral sequences in Doctor Strange...

Ah, remembering a neverwhen. That's a sign... Good or bad, though?

Seriously, Time? You couldn't even let him say 'thank you and goodbye'?

You make it sound like catching the bus... Brits...

...And this is a good thing?

Presumably with everything crossed that he can...

...Might want to fix that up before anyone notices?

I wonder if she noticed anything other than Paul suddenly disappearing from his seat?

If only some were so easy to do so...

Yeah, best not to word it that way, Angie...

Boy, are those reports going to be doozies. I won't be at all surprised if the next episode is him getting a very loud call from Hinon demanding answers. And Batman scowling hard enough to make even OL feel nervous...

Er, what? Something missing, methinks?

30. TheEyes

TheEyes Well worn.

When Red Queen calls everyone in for the next crossover event.

The first thing OL will notice is the wound on her hand from Grayven stabbing her. :p