1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Ace Dreamer

Ace Dreamer Questioning The Nature of our Realities

I'm reasonably sure this is one of those pony-fied words, but, I've not idea what it means... Maybe, in a while my brain will tell me? Don't know. (A search didn't help.)

Erfworld - I'm afraid the art style is such that it thoroughly puts me off. Had a similar issue with 'Order of the Stick' (but, no problem with xkcd). I'm not much of a fan of stuff that leans so heavily on gaming, either.

This is a strange episode, but the politics of 'Wilson' are interesting...

I suppose I should refer to the watery tart approach to acquiring political legitimacy...

Last edited: Jun 16, 2020
  2. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

The group (in equine terms, herd) of bearers of the Elements of Harmony. A more clinical (professional?) way of saying 'the Mane Six'.

3. Khettien

Khettien Perpetually confused

I stopped reading Erfworld ages ago, what happened?

Secret Secretion likes this.
  4. Secret Secretion

Secret Secretion Hi!

I stopped too, about the time of Jillian's excruciatingly long backstory. Nothing was happening and the webcomic wasn't a webcomic anymore.

5. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Don't forget Wilson's psychoreactive transformations, so every alicorn is just one bad day away from being an apocalyptic threat.

Logically there would be an equilibrium point where the fellow alicorns would be capable of dealing with wayward fellows, but that still leaves the place in even more of a "I'm suddenly needing to know the plural of apocalypse" situation.

And as the Erfworld story mirrors, well, I doubt the countries made up of all those other species are going to appreciate the prospect of their countries getting wiped off the planet by an insane alicorn......

6. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

That was pretty much why I stopped. I think I got to the bit where they were fighting in the magic kingdom.

7. Rafin

Rafin Not too sore, are you?

Sorry. As a non-native speaker I was just going off of the stuff I learned in the 21 years I live in Greece.

As far as I knew the -ιος ending in that context meant "of the" not in a coming from there sense, but in a more general "of that thing" meaning.

Arachnis seems like just a hypothetical male name version of Arachne and Arachnakias is a distinctively new Greek way of nicknaming if I am not completely mistaken. I was pretty crap at ancient Greek in school though. Like, 11/20 in school crap.

I didn't mean "nickname" in the unimportant name people call each other for fun sense. Just in the not his actual name but he got it for his character and people know who is meant sense. Another example would be Aphrodite Areia for the Aphrodite that is warlike like Ares (armor and everything), as worshipped by the Spartans.

The somethingphilos is definitely used primarily for its euphemistic meaning nowadays, even in Greece. See the ζωόφιλος/φιλόζωος dichotomy. Two very different meanings. And no one uses the first to literally mean just "friend of animals" anymore. That said, I don't know when this switch actually happened though, or when it was first used as a euphemism for "so friendly he constantly wants to bugger it".

I didn't know that the philosomething always meant someone who helps the thing in question. So φιλότιμος could be translated as someone who helps honor/virtue?

What do you mean? The SI wrote the thing.

8. B.B. Rain

B.B. Rain I trust you know where the happy button is?

No, five counting Sunset, who's running auditions for people willing to go through her ascension ritual to become the sixth.

Darko, Ardy, Lupercal and 1 other person like this.
  9. theaceoffire

theaceoffire Versed in the lewd.

How can they hold teacups, and why do tea cups have finger-shaped handles!?

10. Rebu

Rebu hey, little Anna, you're the one

And now I'm having flashbacks to that really pretentious alliterative furry fic I read once.

And by 'once', I mean 'it was the writer's entire gimmick, and he used it in every story'.

FeepingCreature likes this.
  11. Mr Zoat

It's how ponies name books.

12. lefthandturnsignal

lefthandturnsignal Making the rounds.

At least the PaulxSpider ship is still full steam ahead.

Vorian, Darko, Ardy and 1 other person like this.
  13. Siskulous

Siskulous Know what you're doing yet?

Amen! I never have figured out why so many women think playing hard to get is a good idea. I'm of exactly the same mind on the subject as Graven. Relationships are not the place for idiotic games.

And it's about time.

Technically it never launched. Sure, she went on a couple "dates" with him, but the whole time she was hostile and suspicious. You didn't actually think that was going anywhere, did you?

14. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Let's face it; at most it would have been hate sex and that's not healthy.

Meanwhile Oh El... is with spiders.

So if Grayven is the neutral ending Oh El seems headed to the bad ending.

infinityDivided and Lupercal like this.
  15. Mr Zoat

I think the hate has to be mutual for that to be a thing.
    What's wrong with the Queen? She's rational, intelligent, social, and has a substantial resource base.

16. Siskulous

Siskulous Know what you're doing yet?

There's a lot to be said for anatomic compatibility in romantic relationships.

IsActuallyBatman likes this.
  17. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Is a relationship based on sex and Oh El actually doesn't emotionally care about her. He would have totally forgot about her if the queen had not pulled a Talia Head and made artificial babies based on him.

Queen = Talia = Hate her.

18. Z3r0Sama

Z3r0Sama Not too sore, are you?

Honestly if Gravy told her about his side hobby of stopping Kryptonians from slipping into non existence a lot of that would disappear. With how crap she was treated in that universe, even though she had nothing to do with the JL coup d'etat, I could see her jumping ship like Justice Lord Wonder Woman.

19. Mr Zoat

Okay, that got a laugh out of me.
    She didn't make Princess with him, unlike Earth 1's rapist version of Talia. The Queen made Princess of her own volition. And the SI wouldn't have forgotten the Queen; after Wombworld was destroyed he's been making a point of checking up on Vega every so often and speaking with the local notables.

20. Breadnaught

Breadnaught Experienced.

True, but anatomic compatibility is somewhat negotiable with an Orange Ring.

Transforming himself into a spider-creature wouldn't be the first thing he's turned into with it.

21. Idkusername

Idkusername Versed in the lewd.

Hell, no actual penetration took place when OL finally scored with Jade.

22. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Those five Alicorns may be Celestia, Luna, Twilight, Cadenza and now Sunset. Probably not Flurryheart as she's just a baby now.

Before anyone starts about how renegade has better relationships than paragon, do remember that paragon is in a happy relationship with Jade, while renegades relationship with her ended horribly.

The next chapter in the Eros thread may have some insect sex in it.

Pretty sure it did and the constructs just served as something extra.

Ngamer11, Vorian and Ardy like this.
  23. nobodez

nobodez Bringer of Context

While I can't really say one way or another, since while I'm not aromantic I haven't really had any romantic relationships, the concept of "playing hard to get" seems, to me, to be just a form of gaslighting.

And a relationship built on lies, deception, and psychological warfare is not a healthy relationship.

Vorian, infinityDivided and Darko like this.
  24. freakytiki34

freakytiki34 Making the rounds.

Sokka: My girlfriend turned into the moon.

Grayven: My girlfriend is a moon goddess.

25. Mr Zoat

Flurry Heart hasn't been born yet. I'd have to check my timelines but I'm not sure that she's been conceived yet.

Grayven will not be impressed by Cadenza's childrearing techniques.
    Technically, Luna is just a very powerful pony who's special talent relates to the night. We only see one priest in MLP:FiM, and it doesn't appear that alicorns are formally worshipped.

26. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I think that Sunset once mentioned Flurry, but I could be wrong.

Xmaster3000 and Lupercal like this.
  27. 0zymandias

0zymandias Making the rounds.

Hi Mr Zoat, I’m in awe of your work I started reading it on SB, and followed you all the way here. It took me a few days and a few nights but I’ve caught up with everything.

And firstly I would like to ask if you have a patreon that I could donate to because I feel like this monument of work deserves some appreciation more than words.

And secondly, considering Paul’s own views on human augmentation I’m surprised that the paragon timeline hasn’t taken any long term enhancements. I remember he considered the impacts of transhumanism early in the story and decided against doing so but considering all that he’s faced and done I think he would be more willing to do as such.

His use of the ring to temporarily enhance his reaction times and brain functions Flash(?) levels of comprehension. He can do it to himself permanently and safely by applying the Garrick formula. Or having someone graft cybernetic enchantments to his brain. I can’t see why he wouldn’t take the opportunity in the long run.

Furthermore, since the infiltration of the Hell arc, I don’t think he’s ever used the shapeshifter abilities, while I can see why he’d prefer constructs I don’t see why he won’t modify his cells to enable kryptonian level strength and resilience? He knows it/ possible, he has access to the Jor-El’s work and to Superboy not to mention Overgirl’s own DNA. If he doesn’t want to upset the Kryptonians he’s friends with then, he could at least Danner himself. (If he has and I’ve forgotten, please ignore that).

Another point I think after Satanus captures Paul, is that he realised that he can use demon magic due to the corruption of his soul, (also I don’t think he’s seen Constantine since he became a Lord of Chaos) has he tried any kind of sorcery after that? If it’s the soul that the issue it’s should be possible for him to have his soul seen to by Hades or Thanatos, and learn Greek sorcery. Alternatively he could try and absorb heavenly powers and learn from there.

Also very early on in the story, when Paul was having a small party at Luthor’s, Paul recommended Lex to Munroe saying that he had more infrastructure than Paul. Why didn’t Paul start his own magitech company? With his asteroid mining he didn’t lack capital, his meta-knowledge and JL contacts would have access to all he needed. This would have enabled him another channel to innovate the human race as by openly owning/running the firm he would be answerable to himself and wouldn’t need to rely on Lex or Kord. He could have be superhero Elon Musk in a sense. I can see that you did something later like that with Peter Wynne but it could also have been done by Paul.

Once more I honestly believe this is one of the if the best fanfic I’ve seen on the Internet. I truly would be willing to donate to a patreon or something like that. I can’t wait to read more of your work.

28. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Yet were is the version of Oh El that decided to be a woman most of the time due to ending in gender reversed DC?

Cuchulin likes this.
  29. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

With regards to the Danner and Garrick formula, early in his stay with the team he ran a lab full of mice and other critters testing those to figure out how they worked, since it was clear it was not properly chemical in origin. During such test he did check it against human blood, such as his investigations on how to 'fix' kid flash's limitations and hunger issues. When he tested his own Earth Prime Blood with those they're was no change, unlike that of local humans. Venom-Buster however DID work out on his tested blood.

This seemed to reinforce the logic that they were magical in nature and interacted with the soul / magical networks of an Earth 16 human, which Paul lacked. At the time of the early tests Paul had not yet gotten his soul energy gathering tattoos, nor had he merged with the embodiment of the orange light. It was suspected that Paul might be able to perform magic once he had gotten a local soul, and some of his abilities (such as looking at peoples desires) boarder on magic.

In the Renegade side, Grayven did take Venom-buster, and later gotten his New God Soul working with the aid of Father Box. He also recreated the Garrick Speed Formula. He used it on himself at that time where it DID function, if only for a short time when he was still gathering his new god powers. It steady stopped working for him as he grew more powerful with regards to being a new god, and his body rejected any changes to his nature.

So, using Grayven as a comparison, Paul might currently be able to use Danner or Garrick on himself, as he now has a soul structure for it to connect with, however unlike Grayven, Pauls soul is rather more patchwork in it's conflicting energies. I'd suspect such an attempt now might be unstable, rather than non functional.

With regards to magic, much like with the formula, at first Paul didn't have access to the internal aspects of magic / soul to manupulate the energies in question. While with his ring he's well researched and studied, he can form basic magical devices that draw power from other sources, but can't provide that energy himself. With his ensouling with the Greed Snake, he might have such connections, and indeed his Teleportation via the Hoden might be seen as magical in nature if what the Venturian spell slingers have observed.

PS. Hi and welcome to the insanity of the comment section, enjoy your stay.

30. Threadmarks: Plutonian (part 5)
    Mr Zoat

12th April
    10:23 GMT

"…outside Vega much?"

"No." Koriand'r looks around as we head for open space, carefully noting the position of the Spider Guild's tugs, Amalak's patrol ships and the less orderly vessels of the Jarko-affiliated pirates. "Since the risk from the psions and the gordanians was so great, I wanted to remain close enough to stop them immediately."

I nod approvingly. "Very responsible."

I take a moment to look around myself, not at the ships but at the desires of the crew. Not a full analysis, but detailed enough to pick up anything immediately dangerous. No… No, they all seem happy enough. A few of Jarko's people aren't entirely reassured by their hosts' good behaviour, and they're only here because Jarko got annoyed and threatened to trade their slots away. But they're hunkering down, rather than being actively problematic.

"And of course there is a great deal of work to do on Tamaran and Emana."

I slow to a stop.

"You understand that my invitation to Earth is just an invitation. If you believe that you are needed here, you are at liberty to remain here."

"I understand, but-" She smiles at me. "-I want to go with you. I want to see your homeworld. And there is a problem in my training that I hope time away will give me a new perspective on."

"Is it something you want to talk about? Keeping Orange Lanterns on an even keel is my job."

"I will, but not yet."

Odd. Tamaranean culture usually encourages openness and honesty about personal strife. Oh, I suppose she spent a lot of her childhood on Okaara. Their attitudes are rather different.

"As you wish, but I'm here whenever you want to talk. See you on Earth."

Space around me warps, orange light shading the stars as they fly past-.

I stop in the middle of interstellar space.

Ring, where's Koriand'r?

The ring pings a location some distance behind me. Ugh, of course.

Space warps again as I fly back towards her, stop and turn around, this time ensuring that I'm only warping space to the same degree that she does.

"Sorry. I don’t actually work with other Orange Lanterns all that much."

"You are very fast."

"It's why I want to help clear your mind. But perhaps if I..?"

She stops her own space warping and I carry her along in mine.

"My strength is a product of the clarity of my desires. I might not know how best to achieve my aims but I always know what I want and why."

"Do you think that every Orange Lantern should try to become stronger?"

"I believe that every Orange Lantern should engage in self-reflection. Larfleeze was strong -far stronger than me- because he could obsess about everything. He could want whatever was in front of him with insane voracity. But he achieved little, even on the world where he spent millennia. So I try to encourage that self-reflection rather than obsessive focus at the expense of rationality. Of course, that doesn’t-"

We exit the warp a moderate distance away from Earth. The planet is clearly visible, as is the moon and the Clustership.

"-mean that every Orange Lantern who manages that is exactly my type."

"There is another Orange Lantern here?"

"Lantern Khan. Whom Clarissi Dox deployed, allegedly to help me."

My ring starts blinking, and I try to pretend that it isn't.

.-.. --- .-. -.. .- -. -.. -- .- -. --. .-

It's not like I don't know what it's saying.

"Forgive me if I'm coming off as self-pitying. I'm fully aware that Tamaran would have loved to be able to call upon Lantern aid as easily as I did for.. so many years. The ClusterCorp's presence just represents a social challenge that my world isn't.. quite ready for."

"Adam explained it to me, but I don't think that I understood."

"It's what we native English-speakers call a 'first world problem'. But I'll explain on Themyscira. I probably need to give my countrywomen oxygen by now."

I transition around and down-

12th April
    13:26 GMT +3

-into the same street in Themyscira-.

"Oh, don't you people have-"

"HAHAHAHA!"

"-lives?!"

"H-ow-? Is your daughter? And-. And her mothahahahaha!"

"The Queen's fine, Princess is a manipulative little wretch who will not be referring to me as being her father in any sense again because I'm not her father."

Zosime's keeping it together, but it's clearly a close-run thing.

"Was she..? Seeing other men… Without your knowledge?"

"She doesn't need men to reproduce."

"Just for her pleasure?"

That came from the crowd.

"I haven't asked, I don't want to know."

Though… All those scans I have of her physiology.. tend to indicate that she can't 'interface' with other Guilders, and there aren't males of her particular morphology because she was supposed to be a living incubator. I-.

Koriand'r appears in a flash of orange, and immediately the women of Themsycira have something better to look at than the deadbeat male sexual deviant.

Zosime elbows me as the two parties regard one another.

"Did you pick up the wrong one?"

Koriand'r smiles warmly as the crowd.

"Hello everyone! I am Princess-Lantern Koriand'r of Tamaran, and I am delighted to be here! Please, show me your world!"

"Okay, I'm-"

The crowd flows past me to mob her.

"-heading back to-."

Zosime pats me on the shoulder.

"No one's listening, Pavlos."

"Yes, and that's an improvement. I'm going back to the talks. Please make sure that no one hassles her too much."

Last edited: Jun 17, 2020