1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. iamnuff

iamnuff Connoisseur.

He does say that, then in this chapter he thinks about killing it and then says "kori and Alan are right there" and then visibly reigns in his more aggressive first response in favour of diplomacy.

So yeah, he probably does think that killing the starros is the right option, but he's trying to do it peacefully anyway, just so Kori knows that he tried.

2. Dragonvx100

Dragonvx100 Not too sore, are you?

Man everyone is complaining about Paul trying to not act as just a righteous face puncher, but things like this are my favorite part. He is legit trying to connect and understand the mind of a species that by all accounts has been universally hostile to see if there is any possibility for a genuine cooperation so genocide isn't necessary. Further unlike the Citadelians or Psions there isn't the same level of knowledge and study on the species to justify writing them completely off. I think that Paul is doing the most both the most ethical as well as most interesting thing by having a confrontation with the mother star and super hope that it works and cooperation becomes feasible whether or not it joins the Orange Lantern Corps.

reddraggone9, m_d, Rebu and 7 others like this.
  3. theaceoffire

theaceoffire Versed in the lewd.

I've been told that is not gay in a three-way.

In fact? It's okay in a three-way.

Hang on I got a song about it here somewhere...

Ardy and Darko like this.
  4. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

You mean this song:

Wonder how Jade feels about Paul and his interest in giant space monsters?

First the Ophidian, then the Spider Queen and now a Mother Star.

5. Awkward

Awkward Know what you're doing yet?

Okay, listen. I understand that some of your grievances with the fic are valid and should get fixed, but for the last little while I've only seen you whine and whine and bitch and moan and complain and you get the picture. If you're no longer enjoying the content you're consuming, why are you consuming it? Find another fic that sparks your interest and go read that.

6. Ace Dreamer

Ace Dreamer Questioning The Nature of our Realities

I'm guessing you meant to say 'Deus Ex Machina'...

What I want to know, is why do you never have a goddess in a chair lowered down on a rope to 'fix' the end of the play? (I think that's what the Greeks supposedly did.)

Would that be a 'Dea Ex Machina'?

(I think 'dea' is Greek for 'goddess', in this context.)

7. WhiteNoise

WhiteNoise Making the rounds.

Planet sized, omnicidal, telepathic starfish.

8. Old Knife

Old Knife Not too sore, are you?

Mother stars eat dreams.

Planet dreams? Or ALL the dreams?

9. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

So why the hell would he be so irrationally stupid as to try violence first?

10. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Well...

I'm going to be writing tomorrow's segment this evening, so I'll get back to you.
    Gosh.

11. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Well Dreams lovers have been highly varied over the years.

Dear god, don't tell me the Star Conquerors became as they are because he screwed them over when the relationship went sour.

It would make some sick amount of sense, he did take away the ability to dream from an entire race because one person of said race cheated on him, banished another one to Hell etc., so we know he has a habit of treating his lovers as shit.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
    Chaoswind, Sendral and Vorian like this.
  12. topin89

topin89 Virgin Centrist

probably
    neural clusters

Chojin Patriarch and Mr Zoat like this.
  13. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

14. Impartial Panic

Impartial Panic I trust you know where the happy button is?

Dox on the other hand.

"How did you...no never mind it doesn't matter how you did it since you always do these things."

"Well it's a long story and..."

"No don't bother, I sent the cluster corp fleet to keep you occupied and hoped you could stay out of trouble.
    Obviously I underestimate your ability to find it"

15. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Because it's a Starro... And realistically you would only get one real chance to minimize the damage...

Mind you, Zoat made it magically die on it's own, so there's no real point in doing anything.

16. Senevri

Senevri Not too sore, are you?

Ugh. The bleed is the part of the page that runs off/might get trimmed off in print.

I just got it

Sendral and erebus1994 like this.
  17. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

This sounds like it's meant to be insulting to Zoat, but remember that the Mother Star has been in stasis for half a million years, that's about the time when the GLC killed the Starros, so it is fully possible for the system keeping her alive to malfunction.

Ardy likes this.
  18. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

While technically true, it didn't have that problem in the original story Zoat's borrowing this from.

Which means it's something Zoat added.

And while that sort of thing isn't bad per say, it's becoming a rather alarming trend in Zoat's writing of "nerf a thing that might be a threat to Paul". Which can rather easily evolve into a Skysaber/Lionheart level problem where the SI just dances around the setting and the universe literally bends to make things work out for them.

19. PrinceJonathan

PrinceJonathan Versed in the lewd.

I don't think I'd want to fuck a giant alien starfish after having read The Bikini Bottom Horror. Cause that's what this puts me in the mind of.

Ardy and Cuchulin like this.
  20. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

This wouldn't be the first time Zoat has altered something to give it a bit more realism.

In the pony episodes there was a pegasus that was sent to prison for her crimes, while in the TV show she didn't go to prison.

Zoat added things like that because it makes sense for a civilization to have things like that, as otherwise it may not work as a civilization.

The stasis of the Mother Star failing after around 500.000 years makes a whole lot of sense, even if it didn't happen in the comic books.

Ardy likes this.
  21. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

That "realism" was added by removing canon "realism" that already existed.

Or to be glib, Zoat rejected the existing realism and substituted his own. And he did so in a way that, instead of being logical, once again, just made things easy for his SI.

See, the canon "realism" was that Starro "stasis" was just freezing them in ice. Because, their biology was such, that they suffer no negative effects from being frozen. So really, "magic stasis field" is less "real" then what already existed.

Xmaster3000 and Cuchulin like this.
  22. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Being trapped in ice for hundreds of thousands of years would damage a lot of things.

Even if their biology allowed them to somehow survive that, it has been a long time since they went in there so a LOT of things could have gone wrong.

Things going wrong after spending half a million years on ice is far, far more realistic than nothing going wrong.

Ardy and Cuchulin like this.
  23. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Something going wrong, would require outside action damaging the frozen Starro in the ice.

The catch 22 with that however, is that anything energetic enough to damage the Starro through the ice, would break the ice waking up the Starro.

Cuchulin likes this.
  24. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Not... really.

Things can break down without any outside interference, they do so many times, plus the process may not have been perfectly executed when it was frozen.

And if something did want to kill the Starro it wouldn't necessarily break the ice.

There may be a lot of exotic weapons that can kill it without damaging the ice.

A weapon meant to only target organic things, without doing harm to non organics, would be able to harm the Starro without damaging the ice.

Xmaster3000 and Ardy like this.
  25. Mr Zoat

Well...

I've written it.

See how it goes tomorrow.

26. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Again, in canon it wasn't "magic stasis that might break down" or "a process that might only partially work", it was binary yes or no sort of thing.

As to exotic weapons, there amusingly isn't, miles of ice make an insanely good shield against things like radiation that would normally pass right through matter.

That's certainly ominous. :D

Xmaster3000 likes this.
  27. TheMidnightRook

TheMidnightRook Well worn.

Conversely, something energetic enough to break the ice and wake up the Starro (such as, say, a really big laser), would at least potentially be energetic enough to damage the Starro through the ice.

Alternately, it could also potentially be harmed by something as simple as prolonged exposure to the cold.

Cuchulin, Ardy, Vorian and 1 other person like this.
  28. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Not sure if there was anything that said it was a 'binary yes or no sort of thing' in the comic.

The explanation that something went wrong during the stasis process makes a whole lot more sense than some 'binary yes or no sort of thing'.

I wouldn't exactly call you an expert on alien exotic weaponry.

Even if ice can make a good shield against radiation, it isn't a perfect one.

If they used the right sort of radiation or energy, then they may be able to damage it

I'd assume that as an advanced alien civilization they would have some understanding of various types of radiations and energies, and be able to build weapons capable of utilising said radiations and energies to pass through ice.

They could have also just engineered some kind of virus that can survive the ice and infect the Mother Star.

Ardy likes this.
  29. Flux Casey

Flux Casey The Colonel

No one is an expert on that. It's comic bullshit. Comic story decided (for dramatic purposes) that the mother star is hardy enough that it can be frozen and thawed without consequence. Zoat decided (for... purposes that have yet to be revealed but probably involve a conceit so his latest actions are possible/make sense) that it isn't and that shouldn't work. Both are arbitrary. Don't get that twisted. Neither is more realistic because we're working in fucking comic book physics.

Taisei, Cuchulin, Ardy and 5 others like this.
  30. cereal_lurker

cereal_lurker Getting sticky.

This statement is true, but I'm curious if it is still accurate? In head-hunting, the SI also noted:

This seems to suggest that her soul was partly rewritten to be more aligned with Avarice than Hope. Was this a temporary boost after being touched by pure Avarice? Or is the SI thinking that her training with Lantern Scott may return her nature to pre-Ophidian?

Ngamer11, Taisei, Cuchulin and 2 others like this.