1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.

2. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Wonder what Earth this is.

At first I thought it might be Earth One due to the mention of Arrow, but there was very firmly no Alan Scott Green Lantern, and the Justice Society there disappeared in 1956 not 1948.

I guess it might be the post Crisis Earth Prime, but if so it sucks to be him, because there's no uncertainty in concerns to the existence of broken enemies that exist on that Earth.

3. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

The Justice Society here died in the 21st century, not 1948.

Zoat could decide to add the Alan Scott in this version even if it's set in Arrow.

There may have been some plans to put a Green Lantern in that show that just never came to fruition, but Zoat decided to use them.

He did use an early draft of the Justice League cartoon to send Anti Green to.

nobodez, Gilhelmi, Wheenesss and 3 others like this.
  4. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

I have watched every single episode of the Arrow verse, it wasn't.

Green Lanterns very specifically didn't even exist in that Universe till after the Crisis merged it with Earth 38. And while Green Lanterns did exist on Earth 38, their power rings don't have even half the abilities of their comic counterparts. Which means, unless Zoat buff's them, something he shouldn't do, Paul would be vastly outmatched by everyone from Superman to Lex Luthor.

5. Lucidum

Lucidum Verifiably Bored

Actually... random idea off the top of my head but what would happen if you gave a Green Lantern Ring to a Solipsist? I mean, obviously the effects would vary by ring power and such but...

6. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Keep in mind, All versions of Paul got pulled from around 2013. So, yes, this is the future to him.

Yeah, Things never advance as fast as writers seem to assume they will. Remember plot-lines like the Machine Man limited series from the Eighties, set in the far-off future year of... 2020. Where everything was already corporate-ruled cyberpunk dystopia...

Well, at least you're familiar with the people. Can't say that about the Fallout or Thundercats Pauls.

Eh, that Spectre probably just wanted to stop everyone from getting time-travel headaches. Seriously, you think they're bad for humans? Imagine how bad it'd be for the Spirit of Vengeance.

So, the CW-multiverse of DC. Arrow, Flash, Supergirl, Titans and so forth? And honestly, that's all I know of it.

Hmm... How likely is it said Injustice Society didn't all survive either? And in a more realistic world, they'd likely be more easily recognised anyway.

A typical cheat so they don't have to work out things like variant car designs a superhero universe would evolve. I would imagine people copying low-quality pictures of stuff like the Batmobile would crop up, as concepts at least. What's Batman going to do, sue?:p

And no schizo-tech running about to try and make more affordable. So you can't do Peter Wynne's thing.

And this Paul's already addicted to the Orange Light, kind of. It's probably a heady feeling, making anything you want enough into reality...

See, this is why you wear your ring when confronting a potential super, friend or foe.

Yum. And she's named Jade. Potential love interest already?

Whoops. In his defence, the standard superheroine physique plus skin-tight 'totally not spandex really!' makes for quite the distraction. Hey, our OL did it to Wonder Woman!

Yeah, she may decide to decorate the trees with imprints of your face. That's not fun...

"Power Rings are awesome... And that felt oddly comfortable to say, when I think about it..."

Paranoid much? Then again, she's probably wary of being snatched up as a lab experiment. Being able to manipulate Glow Energy innately is a rare thing.

Well, at least she's calmed down a little?

Got to be precise, after all. It's not like you're going to pauper her.

Yeah, I just said that. Completely natural.

Hopefully Todd is doing better here than in the comics. He's had a long history of getting jerked around... And not in the way he'd like, either! x3

A very, very good idea, especially when said person can smash you by thinking.

So you took it off to avoid a 'potential super-villian' mistaken identity incident. I suppose glowing bright orange might not have made a good first impression.

Assuming many many things, here. We don't know if the Lantern is an actual Corps lantern but damaged, or the Starheart container, or what. Or even if you can recalibrate it onto Orange light.

Thankfully. Since some other alternatives, if this isn't the CW-multiverse, include the Ryan Reynold GL movie's universe, or that horrible cheese-fest of a direct-to-video Pilot made in the Nineties, loosely inspired by the Giffen/DeMattis era.... :confused: Oh, god... It isn't that one is it?

"Because, well, I have quite a lot of it. I make Croesus look like a pauper, and all that..."

It'd be a fair way to honour him. Perhaps something related to broadcasting?

Welp, diplomacy checks failed. But not critically so. She's not hostile.

So, charging the Green Ring, then stealing charge from it using the Orange's feeding ability. That's got to be inefficient. And I doubt you've got the Will to use the Green Ring. Awkward, but doable.

Certainly not the first Paul to take that route. Paragon and Renegade Earth-16 did so. But there was a team just forming then.

Oh, this is going to be torturous, waiting to see if this is a specific universe or something original. I have no doubt it's not going to be what most of us expect, though. Is this the Titans (2019) universe? Or Doom Patrol's? Argh, so many possibilities. It might not even be a CW-Multiverse strand...

7. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

Well it's not like they were WRONG at least not exactly...
    Also i like that you linked to info on who THE figure of wealth most referenced by westerners is.

8. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I did say that if this is Arrow that it may be set in something the writers wanted to do, but couldn't for whatever reason, not something that was shown in the Arrow episodes.

Paul isn't a Green Lantern, he's an Orange Lantern.

His ring probably doesn't have the limitations they have.

Also I'm not even sure they really showed the Green Lanterns do anything, there was only that scene of Diggle finding that ring that I remember.

This Paul could be different from paragon even before he got his ring. Remember renegade was also different.

Hmm, Paul is bisexual, so maybe this will be the first version of him we've seen that starts dating a guy.

Well aside from Gold Lantern, who seemed to be checking out Nightwing, and may try to find some action now that he's free of the insane ring.

The various Paul's have been shown to be quite skilled ring wielders, so he may be able to use the Green Ring competently.

This would be the first version of Paul we'd see use a Green Ring.

Maybe she'll give him the Lantern for him to convert into an orange one after she spends time with him and sees that he's a good guy.

Letting the Lantern be used so that it can empower a good guy to protect people seems like a better way to honor Alan's memory then just letting it gather dust, even if the Lantern will be permanently altered.

Really hope that this may be set in the Doom Patrol universe.

If this Paul is as empathetic and therapeutic as his paragon counterpart then the characters in that universe are going to need him.

Also I really wanna read a chapter where Paul sings with a transvestite.

9. Korfayron

Korfayron Making the rounds.

This version of the malthusian who made Paul's ring is going to be so disappointed, she makes a ring and gambles on it and as soon as it grabs someone they swap rings to green.

10. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

There may not be any Maltusians in this universe.

This version said that the GLC doesn't exist so they may also not exist.

Even if they existed I don't think that a Maltusian from this universe sent the ring, but rather a Maltusian from another universe sent it and this Paul just landed in the wrong universe.

It has happened before.

Wheenesss, Prince Charon and Cuchulin like this.
  11. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

All this talk about where this Paul ended up makes me wonder if there is a version that ended up a Wild West Else World.

Darko likes this.
  12. ohA

ohA Getting out there.

I believe those are the same, with Beast Boy transitioning from the latter to the former.

13. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

They actually occupy separate continuities.

Cuchulin and Chojin Patriarch like this.
  14. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

I'd wondered if this were Smallville, before I recalled how long ago Smallville was (and felt old), and that Smallville's JSA was founded in the 1970s and didn't get killed off until later.

It could be the Titans 2019 or Doom Patrol timeline, though. I don't know enough about the Titans/Justice League Dark cartoons to have any idea if it's that one, but I'm more than 99% certain that it's not the Superfriends timeline.

Cuchulin and Darko like this.
  15. Mr Zoat

Her name is Jennifer-Lynn Hayden.
    He was looking at her shoulders.
    Nope!
    All products are bought 'as-is'.

Bramble Thorn, Ardy, Cuchulin and 8 others like this.
  16. cookiemontser

cookiemontser Getting out there.

So is this a reboot of the series? I wouldn't be averse to it.

Dur'id the Druid and Xmaster3000 like this.
  17. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

<facepalm> And I should have remembered that. :oops: Just smack me with a copy of 'Infinity Inc' volume 1, #1 next time that happens...

:( Ah... Hopefully this Paul can do something to improve his lot...

18. Mr Zoat

Thing is... Jennifer-Lynn and Todd are in their late twenties. They've both been active as superheroes for over a decade. He's dealt with his childhood as well as he's going to.

19. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Still having a friend, or boyfriend, in Paul could be a good thing.

Even if he's dealt with his childhood as well as he's going to that doesn't mean that Paul can't help him deal with some other things.

Prince Charon, Ardy, Cuchulin and 2 others like this.
  20. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I just noticed that this says Captain Atom. Some of the older posts uses Major Atom. May I know which is correct? His secret identity was promoted. Was that applied to his codename as well, or did he keep Captain Atom because it is more recognizable?

21. Massgamer

Massgamer Not too sore, are you?

I thought this was tv Stargirl verse, but if that was the case lantern would be elsewhere.

Darko, Mr Zoat and Vorian like this.
  22. Mr Zoat

His rank is now Major but his codename is still Captain Atom. When the SI thinks 'Major' he should also think 'Adams'.

23. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Well, when was the last Grayven chapter?

24. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Four episodes ago.

It was called Equestrian Guise.

It typically tends to be a handful of paragon episodes and then one renegade episode, but there were two renegade episodes so it may be more than a handful of paragon episodes before we get to renegade.

DAT_NOOB, Ardy, Cuchulin and 2 others like this.
  25. aimdsl

aimdsl Getting out there.

Any chance some one wants to put a list on how how many "alt story/chapters" there are ? I understand Paragon/Renegade with Paul and Grayven. I was having issues keeping the story straight in my head so I tend to skip the chapters without Paragon Paul OL.

26. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Xmaster3000 and Cuchulin like this.
  27. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

28. WereDragon

WereDragon Bookwyrm

Going to be honest: Getting really bored of reading basically the same scene play out again and again.

Xmaster3000 likes this.
  29. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

This is the first scene we've witnessed of a version of Paul asking a version of Jennifer Lynn Hayden for a Lantern.

Plus this Paul seems to be more playful than the other versions so far, going by his conversation with Jennifer, as well as maybe a bit reckless.

Paragon, and probably most of the others, wanted the Lantern so that they could protect themselves, but this version of Earth may not face so many of the things the other Paul's feared they may face, so there is no great need for him to keep his ring charged, and he has financial security.

It would appear that this version is more of a thrill seeker that wants to experience what being a superhero is like.

'raised her' not 'raised has'

30. Grimnar

Grimnar Versed in the lewd.

I'm sorry, but if you are wearing literal fucking skin tight clothes and you expect people not to stare, you are on a fucking laugh.

It might as well be painted on for all the good it does. And yes, this goes for both sexes.