1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

'the broken' not just 'broken'

'boulder' not 'bounder'

'to Luna' not 't Luna'

'stomps' not 'stamps'

2. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Despite the fact they can both fly, there's still that instinctive fear of falling, isn't there?:rolleyes:

"Not in the time we have been present, at least... We suspect there may have been times she wished to do so to some..."

Well, she isn't dead. I suppose that means she's doing well.

"Yes, we kind of knew that. Went and found the ancestral Earth pony homelands myself!"

Hey, someone who doesn't ascribe to the Prometheus School of Running Away From Things!

I suspect if not for her royal dignity, she'd be facehoofing...

Well done, Mr Zoat! That form of speech is actually used correctly! No, seriously, folks, 'Wherfore Art Thou' is not asking about a location, but a state of being. Juliet was not asking where Romeo is, but why he had to be born a mortal enemy of her family...

I'd be amazed if it were present anywhere in Canterlot. Celestia is probably well acquainted with its effects, if only from experience...

You've taught her well. She knows not to assume anything about a foe. Even where they might attack from.

Ah, her psionics did get turned into a magic equivalent.

We're one of the best land animals in the water... I don't know of any other primate who swims as well as humans do.

Around Grayven, strange is relative. You and he are both magical winged unicorns, talking to magical ponies in a land of magical ponies.

Heh, Casual dialogue while their friend is basically fighting for her life, more or less. This is why I love this story...

And that can only do so much, regrettably...:(

To be honest, this is Maud Pie we're talking about. I doubt she shows much enthusiasm towards anything outside of rocks.

Yes. Case in point, that broken balcony that Princess Luna happens to be standing on...

Getting such amazing Avatar vibes here. Though Toph Bei Fong she ain't...

I suppose Maud might pull her punches, though given that earlier rough draft involving her...:confused:

Still, it's a start! Foal steps, Grayven. Got to learn to stand before you can stomp.

Honestly, Grayven, you should know who she is, shouldn't you? Call yourself a fan? ...Wait, did she appear before the end of season three?

Haha, Lynne is such a treat!

Not quite so interesting now, is it? Such a child.:p

A technicality! You assume things would be the same after a thousand-plus years of separation?

And that is so perfectly Maud. Oh, the next chapters of Grayven will be such fun...

Bad move, Sunset, now you've got no footing! Can't fight if you can't stand!

And preferably in a form that doesn't threaten to collapse the palace, much less the city.

Well, this put a smile on my face. :D Looking forwards to more ponies, Mr Zoat.

Question mark, surely?
    A boulder the size of a car...
    I turn my head to Luna...
    I nod. "Hominids are.
    Sunset's eyes widen as she's caught halfway.
    ...but she can't get the leverage...
    ...the grey mare keeps firing spears at her.

3. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Bulk Biceps: YEAAAAAHHHH!

4. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Holy retcons Batman! ;)

Gantradies likes this.
  5. ForeverShogo

ForeverShogo Not too sore, are you?

Yeah. Uh. Maud does some crazy things sometimes.

6. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

That wasn't in the nation of Equestria.
    I'm always dubious of the phrase 'one of the best'.
    Oh, no, the balcony is gone. They're standing in the bit of the room that was next to the balcony.
    Thank you, corrected.

7. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I don't remember what chapter it is, but when Paul offered to completely heal her old injury, Thana said that would be a bad idea, as the Silver City really doesn’t like it when other pantheon mess with them (while at the same time they think it is okay for them to mess with other pantheons). Paul would remember that and suggest it to Hades, who then requests that Thana's burn be healed.

8. Mr Zoat

In that case, probably.

9. TheMidnightRook

TheMidnightRook Well worn.

Not neccessarily. Zoat has mentioned a liking of the Triptych Continuum in the past...

...and unless this is just Maud being Maud, it suggests that earth pony magic works by Triptych rules, presumably with a similar tradition of secrecy.

10. Ace Dreamer

Ace Dreamer Questioning The Nature of our Realities

Missing word, but I'm unsure what it is.
    Also, 'second 'and' should be 'at'.

All the bad 'rock music' jokes... You can have 'Space Rock', so, can you have 'Ground Rock', too? :)

Nice to see Maud in the actual story... She really doesn't do subtle, does she?

Darko, Mr Zoat and Chojin Patriarch like this.
  11. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

12. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Maud is as subtle as a boulder to the face and we love her for it:D

Cuchulin and Istaran like this.
  13. Ciber

Ciber Know what you're doing yet?

Man. Maud is really putting that Rocktorate to work.

14. Torriz

Torriz Your first time is always over so quickly, isn't it?

This sentence looks like it's missing "breath"

15. SotF

SotF And Away We Go!

I'd assume more of a desire to not end up involved in whatever is going on if it doesn't concern him...it also seems to imply that this kind of thing is relatively common for Sunset to end up involved in for training purposes

16. Siskulous

Siskulous Know what you're doing yet?

Never mind. I just saw Torriz beat me to it.

17. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

18. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

Thank you for the link on that one.

I kept reading 'Benitoite' as 'Bentonite', and was kinda curious how the mysterious magical pony power was halted by what is effectively industrial strength kitty litter.

EDIT: I do have to wonder at times why crystals get all the good PR some times when it comes to all the magical mumbo jumbo, when geology has so many other interesting substances.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2020
    Cuchulin likes this.
  19. Jirachi

Jirachi I trust you know where the happy button is?

I mean, I assume that the two of them could do it in the same way that a normal human magic user can in human form with a bit of adaptational work, albiet at signifigantly reduced effect.

20. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

The fandom basically turned her into an Earthbender from Avatar the last air bender.

Silver can kill werewolves and sometimes vampires.

Gold is the only thing that can completely seal demons, witches and souls away.

Bronze is an alloy and may not be magical but if you had bronze in the coast while your enemies had easily to rust iron swords, you won.

Gantradies, Cuchulin and Darko like this.
  21. theaceoffire

theaceoffire Versed in the lewd.

Brown chicken, brown cow!

Xmaster3000 likes this.
  22. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

I'd say it would be more emulation than anything else.

Magic as is usually practiced in this work is a skill that anyone can be trained to do. Which is how it is in DC comics, except that magic also has an energy requirement, and if you have the energy you can just brute force it without the skill.

That's not how it is in MLP.

In MLP, magic is innate. Pegasi innately have weather control magic. Unicorns innately have telekinesis. Changelings are innately empathic shapeshifters.

Yes, there is an academic scholarly tradition in MLP, but that would be "Training the Gift of Magic" as tvtropes would coin it. It's not something that can just be taught to everyone anymore than in Charmed or Harry Potter or The Familiar of Zero or the Merlin tv show or the Fate series.

As demonstrated in Equestria Girls. Neither Twilight nor Sunset had magic abilities after being humanized. It couldn't just be a lack of background magic, because even when they did get magic later on in the series Sunset had to re-learn magic from scratch. In fact it was a point that Sunset despaired because she thought Twilight would have figured it out already.

So could Zatanna emulate the feats with her logomancy? Sure, but it would have shit all to do with how Earth ponies do it, just like she could emulate Shirou from Fate by saying "Summon all the swords" backwards.

Edit: Actually DC does have magical metahumans, like Black Alice's ability to steal magical powers, Misfit's teleportation, Nightshade's umbrakinesis, originally Raven's empathy, but those so gifted may or may not bother to learn magic.

23. Albert Scoot

Albert Scoot Not too sore, are you?

I can just imagine her as one of those women who put themselves through college using her special skills, her skills being smashing heads open with rocks in the pit.

24. Gantradies

Gantradies Not too sore, are you?

And don’t forget forged/magnetised iron against creatures of the Fae!

or humble, unalloyed, soft copper- relatively cheap, easily worked- and for those who trade/fight at sea, incredibly effective at keeping ones ship, be it a pinnace,clipper or liner, from slowing from fouling!

Last edited: May 1, 2020
    Cuchulin likes this.
  25. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

A pony version of The Black Queen, if you will

26. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

You missed the bit where people posted a bunch of stuff showing Earth pony's with superpowers to convince Zoat they actually had them. :D

27. rkyeun

rkyeun Cabbitus Maximus

Like whatever they want it to be.

28. Threadmarks: Duplication (part 9)
    Mr Zoat

16th May 2011
    14:10 GMT -5

A cloud of smoke and tentacles undulates from inside the magic circle.

"I am summoned and so I'm here,
    Mind so sharp and magics so queer,
    Pay me in pain,
    Or I'll drive you insane,
    And-"

"Leef noissapmoc."

"Heart ready for harvesting."

"-shit it's Constantine again!"

Black breaches the summoning circle, shoves his right arm into the mass and pulls out a still-beating… Thing. The tentacular mass collapses to the floor and then begins to fade.

"Feed."

John Constantine grins as the heart is absorbed into Black's ring.

"Any chance you could come back after you've sorted this whole mess out?" He leafs through his copy of the Grimoire Verum. "Got whole chapters we could clear out."

Zatanna doesn't look at him, but nonetheless gives her head a small shake.

"Do you need any more?"

I'll admit, it's an interesting take on 'acceptable targets'. Call up a demon that is known to be a blight upon the Earth, force it to feel an emotion and then have Black consume its heart. They're not human, not conventionally alive and can probably recover eventually. The only real surprise is that they're alive enough for it to work, but Black already knew that would work as the very first thing his ring ate was a demon. I suppose that Nekron's concept of 'life' isn't so limited as to refer exclusively to organic life.

"Ring, state charge."

"Power level twenty six percent."

"I have sufficient." He hesitates, then smiles in the most natural expression I've seen him make so far. "Thank you."

Zatanna frowns curiously. "That.. sounded different."

"This.. is the closest I get to being alive. With a mixture of all parts of the emotional spectrum, I'm more… Myself… Now, than at any time since I died." He smiles at her. "Thank you."

"Is there any way to.. fix..? You?"

"The problem with any sort of 'fixing' is that I lose this power ring. And probably the benefits of vampirism. My condition is 'chronic', not 'terminal'." He grins, bowing his head. "Hah! It's terminus, not terminal!"

It's a curious point. What happens if you do something which is supposed to return the target to life on a vampire? When that sort of spell was cast with Darla as the target she resurrected as a human, but she'd already been destroyed in her vampire-form at that point. Actually, now that I think about it, why did that work? If she was resurrected then she should have had her human personality, rather than her demon personality. And when she was turned back into a vampire she should have been a 'new' vampire. Except she wasn't. I suppose I'd have to know more about the exact mechanics in order to know how the magics involved would affect Black.

John smiles, but he's also sure to keep Zatanna and myself between him and the grinning vampire-Lantern. Zatanna on the other hand gestures to the work bench where what's left of the Red Queen replica Manhunter was placed after the tech-savvy members of the Justice League finished making it safe.

"Can you bring her back?"

"Certainly!"

Black skips over to the remains, gives them a once-over and then sticks his right forefinger in a patch of mixed blood and cerebrospinal fluid before pulling it out and tasting it.

"Ring, analysis."

"Subject is deceased."

He turns to me, grinning.

"What a truly remarkable machine. And it knows all-."

"All that from just seeing a dismembered corpse. Absolutely-" / "All that from just seeing a dead body. Absolutely-"

Red and I glance at one another. Apparently, we all listened to Red Dwarf: The Last Human.

"-incredible." / "-incredible."

Black grins wider.

"We really are all the same man, aren't we? I didn't really appreciate it before-."

Zatanna looks puzzled. "What do you mean by that?"

"Why do you think Krona wants us rather than literally anyone else? We're not parallel universe versions of the same man. We used to be one man, and then we were many men in different parallels."

I raise my right hand. "We haven't… Conclusively confirmed that yet. I wouldn't want the League or the Gold Lantern Corps to plan with that in mind without having it confirmed by an expert."

Black slides his ring off his right ring finger and lays it on his palm. He then opens his mouth… And closes it again.

"Do we know what her name was?"

I.. shrug, and look at Red.

"Uh. Pass? They might have told Orange, but all he told me was that the other person we were looking for was Jade Nguyen."

"Cheshire?" Zatanna frowns. "Why did you want her?"

"We wanted her because Krona wanted her. But that doesn't mean that Red Queen is Jade Nguyen any more than Time Trapper is one of us."

Black gives an amused snort. "Be funny if he was, though. Anyway, I might as well try Jade Win."

Zatanna looks at the remains. "We have Jade Nguyen's genetic code on file. It will only take about half an hour to confirm whether it's her or not. Assuming Batman hasn't done that already."

"No, no point. If I guess wrong nothing happens. Ring?"

"Ready for command."

"Jade Win of Earth. Rise."

Black.. lightning flickers across the remains, the Manhunter chassis flickering out of existence almost at once and the organic remains.. levitating into position over the bench. Then the lightning focuses on the pieces of meat, striking them again and again. A few seconds pass with little happening, and then they.. slowly begin to grow. Yes, it looks like they kept the brain, a little blood to keep it fed and some of the nerves. The growth is slow at first, the brain matter turning from goo to an actual cerebral structure. Then a spinal cord extends out from the base, flickering strands of unlight painting in the skull, spine and ribs, then organs. The heart is unbeating and the colours are.. duller. There's no blood, not even the pooled and dried blood I've seen in older corpses. Muscle comes next, curiously.. grey in colour, veins and arteries, arms and legs. The strobing is constant, flickering all over her as the skin and hair are added in. Lastly, thicker bolts of lightning strike the right forefinger, coalescing into a.. new black power ring.

I take a robe out of subspace and drape it over her.

"Jade Nguyen of Earth. Rise."

Her eyes jerk open, tiny black sigils visible in her irises for a second before she blinks them away.

Black smiles down at her as she feels her face with her left hand while clasping the robe with her right. "Welcome back. Ready to get Krona?"

She snarls.

"Yes."

Last edited: May 1, 2020
  29. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

Reminds me of the time they stress-tested the Ace of Winchesters in Atlantis.

30. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

'smoke' not 'some'

'bench. Then' not 'bench Then'