1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. NeoDarklight

NeoDarklight The Final Observer

Wait a minute. Isn’t Purity supposed to be in Boston at this point in the timeline?

2. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Criminals have often killed people where there were no witnesses.

The Unwritten Rules also aren't some type of magically binding contract that they all follow no matter what.

They may try to follow them to the letter, but it is exceedingly likely that most of the criminals have broken them at least once.

This isn't exactly a place where the criminals have Vito Corleone levels of criminal honor.

There's also that rule about no sexual assault, yet Lord Protector found out that Lung's organization had rapists in it.

If they have brothels then I doubt all the women there are willingly working for them.

Also if one criminal kills another criminal, as criminals tend to do, then that tends to qualify as murder.

And I'll repeat my previous statement that just because the rules exist that doesn't mean that they don't tend to be broken behind closed doors, or hell even in front of other people.

I think he just wanted to make a Lantern to recharge his ring, not a new ring.

Considering his enlightenment him having a yellow ring means that he's at his best when wielding one.

3. Information era

Information era Getting sticky.

IT is the foundation of the premise that the rules are serious business and capes don't break them unless they have gone off the deep end.

Relyt33 likes this.
  4. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Big error here, Thomas Calvert isn't the director at this point in the timeline...

Good catch.

5. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

One of Kaiser’s goons killed a new wave member in her civilian identity. Kaiser gave exactly 0 shits.

the unwritten rules are pointed out multiple times to not work. From Heartbreaker who never got a kill order, to Hookwolf who got a birdcage order that never stuck, the unwritten rules are just like any other. If you can get away with breaking them, you do so. Fucking Armsmaster got away with breaking them by changing his name and color scheme

6. Information era

Moral quandaries about whether killing criminals willy nilly even when there is no constricting circumstances such as in his original world is thoroughly pushing him into being a definite villain Paul just behind LSD. That said, the long term effects of the cape population being decimated will almost definitely lead to mass deaths.

Relyt33 and Cuchulin like this.
  7. Information era

Heartbreaker did get a kill order. The problem is that he is smart about being evasive and his powers limit how well they can engage him. The mass amounts of human shields he also has around him also don't make it easier.

Also the person who killed Fleur wasn't a member of E88. He was a random kid who wanted to join E88.

8. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

I can just hear the disbelief. Gotta wonder why Armsy fixated on Halberds, anyway.

The closest they had were the Thundercats, and they were more adventurers than superheroes. Wonder what Thundera looks like these days?

To be honest, he probably has a gadget in his collar to seal his armour. I suspect he just likes his beard too much to cover it up.:p

Well, that covers that question. And now I'm picturing him in armour resembling Parallax-Hal's, with the lantern-shaped chest-piece. Or maybe Alan Scott in Kingdom Come.

On the one hand, that makes sense. Shock and Awe can produce a lot of fear he can use. On the other, it offers no chance to study character. Not every villain in Brockton Bay is outright evil. Some are people pressganged and brainwashed into toeing the party line. Others are unrepentant bastards.

And that just gave him the location of every cape in Brockton Bay. Not that he cares about the Capes' so-called 'unwritten rules'. Some members of the PRT leadership never did either (Tagg, for example.)

Boy, Halbeard has no idea how outclassed he is, does he? He might recognise Lord Protector's gear as powered armour, it can only really be made so many ways, but the Power Ring? Nope.

Armsy's not used to begin ignored, is he? Bet that'll cheese him off. Not that Lord Protector needs to waste time Diplomancing him.

Waste of time trying the Cold Gun on him, of course. He'll just keep resetting until someone chips him out of the ice.

Hmm, not likely to reset from that, is he? Even if his shard can reset his head, it has no link to do so now said head is vaporised.

Oof. Harsh, but well, he's dealt with worse people in Thundera the same way. And, to be honest, neo-nazis are pretty much incapable of holding the moral high ground...

Probably working out threat ratings. Current estimate: Mover, Blaster, Shaker, possible Tinker.

Armsmaster's probably thinking "Well, at least he's efficient about it." Also, how did he even know what Lord Protector was shooting at? Sensors in his armour? Or is he referring to Lung and company?

Assuming Lord Protector cares? That's cute.:rolleyes:

Just digging the hole deeper. Love how he's assuming that he has any chance against someone who just death-ray'd a couple of dozen people.

Must be precise, after all. If only to keep track of things for the sake of his conscience.

Oof, Oni Lee got sniped too? And Bakuda isn't public knowledge, I think? So as far as anyone knows, the ABB is done. Until she goes all mad bomber, and with Lord Protector on the warpath, that isn't likely.

"You're assuming I intend to leave any of them alive to do so."

Man, Armsy's got to be feeling off, right now. He's been stuck on the back foot during this entire conversation. Lord Protector's not even paying more than cursory attention to him! :V

Oooh. Coil is about to have a very bad day. Though...

Oh, Director Piggot is going to blow a fuse. Let's hope she survives the shock...

Especially since there are clear differences between passive and active states. And he can check his scans against public data and PRT files to make sure he's actually on-target for the bad people. But that requires the cape in question to actually be known to either.

And he just added Thinker to the threat category count. Ah, if only he knew the truth...

...Bolas? Against someone you just saw perform a precision bombardment remotely? Lord Protector's opinion of Armsy just dropped hard. Not that it had far to go to hit rock bottom. :V

Oh, dear. I can already see the responses to that. Heck, I've been seeing them pop up. But see it from his perspective: There's little info on her change of allegiance, she's known to target by racial profiles even if she's trying to be heroic, and the fact she has children is probably not public...

Well, this was entertaining. Though I shudder at the fallout concerning 'canon' events on Earth-Bet. Just imagine the reactions on PHO or in the halls of the PRT. I'm betting the next snippet, in a few weeks, will show their response to his actions...Wonder what ratings they'll peg him with, much less what name. :p Meanwhile, let's see what OL's up to, shall we?

Mr Zoat, (In case it goes unnoticed) Vaermina raises the point that Thomas Calvert is not the director at this point in time. Emily Piggot is, and Calvert is an advisor.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2020
  9. Vice Xarno

Vice Xarno Versed in the lewd.

so now its not just a matter of LP killing her, but a matter of her not even being supposed to be their in the first place.
    i know Mr Zoat may not retcon it but i hope he does, its the little things you know, he can easily just change it to another cape he was aiming for, it made no mention of her powers, just her name

10. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Zoat can just decide to change that since he's already changed several premises which don't make all that much sense.

He changed it so that not every criminal in Gotham goes to Arkham, but only the ones that are actually mentally ill go there, while those that aren't, even if they're members of Batmans rogues gallery, go to ordinary prison.

The fact that criminals are basically gaining more and more power each day, while the members of law enforcement are becoming more and more impotent to stop them, is a good reason for destroying those criminals.

And no Lord Protector doesn't qualify as a villain like Tangseid does, since Tangseid did a lot of horrible things to the good guys, while the only people Lord Protector has seriously harmed are the bad guys.

ChestBurster, protoss16 and Relyt33 like this.
  11. nick012000

nick012000 Gone for Good

Alabaster can be killed with hyperdimensional attacks like the Sting shard's powers or similar effects, or if someone hits him with a power-negating effect before killing him (e.g. the Fairy Queen's anti-parahuman death touch).

In Ward, he dies when Dauntless second triggers and Titanizes, and rips apart his body and power in the process.

A cold ray would definitely be insufficient, though. He'd die, then come back to life about five seconds later and walk it off, which the PRT would discover when they secure the crime scene afterwards.

12. Information era

He is, at best, an anti-hero and definitely the most villainous paul behind LSD. The power dynamic has also held steady for the past couple years. What sets the undersiders to become the top dops is Lung being arrested, Bakuda's rampage, and the ensuing endbringers. None of that has happened yet.

The thought of a zoat taking a piece of literature and rewriting an already rational fic into their own version of rational fic which blatantly ignores what the original piece was about seems incredibly insulting.

Ardy, thegamma, Relyt33 and 5 others like this.
  13. BlueMangoAdea

BlueMangoAdea Alive. For now.

Right. Because stability is so good in a city where the status quo is the gangs ruling over the city.

14. The Chosen One

The Chosen One Getting out there.

"Does that just apply to directors?" implies that he knows he is asking about someone in a position of authority which is not a directorship.

15. Information era

The gangs exist in the city but they have not taken it over.

Ardy, Relyt33 and Cuchulin like this.
  16. transhumansage

transhumansage Versed in the lewd.

beautiful. more please. how does this paul plan on dealing with scion? i mean he is playing around on his petri dish.

17. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

That's because it is insulting.

Especially when you consider that Zoat hasn't actually read the source material.

18. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

And that is why i call him Mellow Yellow, he is just so calm and casual about all this slaughter.

ChestBurster, Ardy, Relyt33 and 5 others like this.
  19. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

True enough.

The same can be said for Raul, renegade and even paragon, since they've done horrible things, like mass murder.

However unlike Tangseid, all these people haven't exactly hurt people that can be considered the good guys.

Why would LP want to let the power dynamic where criminals have so much power keep on going?

With Calvert gone and the threat he issued them, the Undersiders have little reason to stay in Brockton bay, plus all the things like Bakuda and the Endbringers may not happen now that he is there to allow the Undersiders to gain power.

You remember that thing you mentioned about the premise being that the rules are taken seriously and no one but the crazies brakes them?

That's not exactly a rational thing when criminals tend to break rules all the time.

They still have a great deal of control in the city that Lord Protector finds it unacceptable.

I'm also highly certain that the civilians are going to find it highly pleasant that they can go out into the city without worrying about getting beaten, killed or raped by a Nazi, who the police can't do anything about since one of said Nazis crew members includes a guy that can shred people with his powers.

20. lancelot

lancelot Grand High Poobah

As long as he could recharge the ring he didn't give a shit what color it was... besides black.

Relyt33, Alexandercctv and Cuchulin like this.
  21. jasonh23761

jasonh23761 Not too sore, are you?

And here we see the violence inherent in the system!

22. Information era

The premise. Of Worm. Is. "what would a world in which the logical inconsistencies present in superhero media actually make sense look like". The criminals stick to the unwritten rules, even though they attempt to get around them at times. Any villain who does break the rules is called out on it to the point of everyone turning on them if they don't make amends.

23. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

Could be the Calvert has long since given himself equivalent access of that rank. If so it's an easy mistake.

Cuchulin likes this.
  24. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

The real danger here?

The really really bad Villains in Worm aren't idiots, they all have secret "if someone kills me large parts of the world are screwed" contingencies that Paul won't know about, or how to counter, because he's never actually read Worm.

Sonder, Relyt33, Wheenesss and 3 others like this.
  25. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Yes, but after he discovered it is possible to make a Yellow Lantern I think he decided to go with that considering he is much more used to using the yellow ring.

Zoat I think you once mentioned that the SI no longer has orange colored speech when using his ring due to his enlightenment.

If this is true for all enlightened lanterns then you may want to change this:

ChestBurster and Cuchulin like this.
  26. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Never read Worm, but I am enjoying this "steamrolling a fucked up society" approach.

27. Information era

It wont work. As soon as an endbringer attacks or golden morning happens, LP is going to die unless he escapes. The world is going to be fucked as soon as he leaves.

Vaermina likes this.
  28. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Yes, I know. Lord Protector doesn't say that he's the Director. He merely asks if there's a ban on superhumans being directors.
    Even if she is in Boston, it's not exactly hard for him to hit her from Brockton Bay. If he looked up local supervillains, found her on the list and then scanned for her then he'd still be able to shoot her.

The Lord Protector has no plans to act against the world's most powerful and least efficient superhero. At most, he'd offer him some advice on improving his effectiveness.
    No. You'll note that those are from the point of view of another character? The SI can see the fears that the Lord Protector draws upon in making his constructs.

29. Information era

... ... ... So he is going to lead directly into golden morning and the end of the human race for this entire multiverse. And the significant risk that Zion figures out enough of the golden light to power himself from it and extend his lifespan indefinitely, giving him hope of completing the cycle and taking away the one thing which could possibly defeat him.

30. Korfayron

Korfayron Making the rounds.

I'm really hoping for more of Yellow Paul in Worm.

I'm actually hoping for an update from the full spectrum of alternate universe lanterns Warhammer fantasy lantern and Warhammer 40,000 lantern are my favourites.