1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Ace Dreamer

Ace Dreamer Questioning The Nature of our Realities

In story terms, he's the only human they know of, and they know nothing about the human race's maturity and sexuality. OTOH, I can think of a few boys I've known, that age, who I'm pretty sure would like a cute girl like that interested in them. Someone who listens to what they had to say. The lusting bit wouldn't make any sense to them. Unless... They think she might have cooties, of course. :)

Last edited: May 11, 2020
  2. Coltsguy

Coltsguy Colts fan. Anime fan. Breast and back fan.

I'm just waiting for one moment: when he frees the other hims mid-battle.

"The great thing about me..."

Turns off the holding cells.

"...Is that there are so many me's."

3. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

One, I.. don't remember her doing that. Two, he's the size of the other characters and she doesn't know how old he is.

4. Threadmarks: Duplication (part 18)
    Mr Zoat

It's not my ring
    But it'll do for now

The ring -which was embedded in my neck for some reason- floats out of the wound and lands on my right ring finger.

The Manhunters around me open up their power ring draining devices.

"By the command of Krona-"

Wisps of orange light flow from my borrowed ring into their chassis.

"-no man escapes the Manhunters."

I can see my own desires and.. the desires of this ring's previous owner, flowing into them. And… Orange strands leading to many of the versions of me imprisoned on this tuning fork. They're manipulating their desires to use the light better. Clever.

"No man escapes me."

I take the orange light and twist it, forcing it into their central processors, or… Whatever it is that Manhunters think with. Their eyes glow brilliant orange as I take control, orange sigils forming on their foreheads a moment later.

"Hey Peter."

I set the Manhunters to tearing the other versions of me out of the tuning fork and a… Micro-asteroid starts talking to me.

"Assuming that you're a Clayface-"

Ring, state charge.

Sixty seven percent remaining.

"-without power ring training-"

Rings to me.

"-then I suggest that you take cover."

Construct armour forms around me, though unfortunately there isn't any material armour in the ring's subspace pocket. A palisade shield comes next, Krona's one-handed energy blast pattering off it as a series of golden dots fly through the hole in space in front of him and land on his fingers.

Krona isn't looking at me as he does it.

I put a singularity projector on top of the palisade and fire it at him.

His beam stops and space between us twists, strands of exotic radiation erupting from the point of impact.

"Powerful." He turns towards me, opening and then clenching his yellow-. No, gold ring covered fingers. "But your knowledge of physics is clearly basic."

Gold light trails behind his right hand as he waves it at Vanishing Point and I.. can't feel the rings I was calling.

"Have you risen sufficiently above your mortality to interface with pseudo-time? I'm genuinely curious."

But I can feel other rings.

Come to me. Know my desires and receive purpose.

And Krona has desires too, of course. Oh, he can prevent me seeing them, but I know they're there.

Kindle avarice.

"Uph." Krona tilts his head to the left, looking at me curiously. "It's been a while since anyone tried that. I may not have my accustomed innate powers at the moment-"

Good to know.

"-but I have lived for millions of years. You'll find that my self control is rather good."

His eyes gleam gold as the… Is that a sling? Evaporates, and his robe-. No, that's a mini-dress, is replaced with armour.

"I invented power rings. I was the first being to use an orange power ring."

"That's not what Hinon says."

His eyes narrow slightly for a moment. "I don't think that spending millions of years in an emotion-deprived coma aided her recall."

"So you're the Krona from my parallel, are you?"

"Something like that. Though I think what I'm doing here demonstrates that the term barely means anything."

"What are you trying to do?"

"To study the bleed membrane, and the structures it imposes on this reality. And to gain some measure of revenge upon the Guardians." He glances at the hole in space with something that might charitably be called a smile on his lips. "What a fascinating history that place must-."

The storm of orange rings fly through the portal and hit him in the face!

He grimaces, intensifying his protective shield as a dozen orange rings bite into it, the rest zooming towards me and falling in to orbit me like electron shells. Versions of me freed by the Manhunters reach out for them and I allow the rings to fly into their hands. And in.. one case, to punch through his chest and bed into his rib cage.

His grin extends well beyond the normal limits of a human mouth as he gives me a thumbs up.

The more-on-the-ball me's take shots at Krona, though after seeing how little progress they're making one unusually sensible me grabs Clayface and heads for the Vanishing Point station instead. He doesn’t feel particularly powerful, but he should be able to handle whatever's there and.. perhaps there's some technology there that could be helpful?

I generate a containment sphere around Krona, studding the surface with infusion points so that the other me's can add their strength to it. They cotton on almost immediately, though through its translucent sides I can see that Krona is more curious than concerned.

One unringed version of me raises his right hand towards the slowly shrinking portal, and a moment later three rings fly around the containment sphere and settle on his right hand.

"Better." He looks at me as his own construct armour flares into being. "How good are you at magic?"

"I sometimes use it by accident."

He looks around. "Anyone else!?"

A few blank looks, and big grin makes a 'so-so' gesture with his left hand. Yellow gives it a moment but no one has a more affirmative answer. "Right then. Ancient spirits of evil-"

Krona raises his hands and begins brute forcing my construct with beams of golden light. I try subverting his power at the point of contact but he's somehow managing to guard against that.

"-reveal to me Krona's deepest fears."

His eyes shine with the yellow sigil while Krona-.

Krona jerks as if slapped, grimaces, and blasts my containment sphere apart!

Last edited: May 22, 2020
  5. Idkusername

Idkusername Versed in the lewd.

Is this a play of words on unusually sensible? Backhanded praise to the self?

Also, if the yellow ring user is supposed to Lord Paultector, he should have yellow enlightenment quotes.

6. BlackCoat13

BlackCoat13 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Now I want to know more about the Enlightened Yellow Lantern Paul. (Yaul?) Anyone know where he's from in the local multiverse?

7. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

So... why not throw Krona at the Source Wall?

8. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Yeah 'unusually sensible me' sounds better than 'usually sensible me'

Hey is the paragon ever going to travel to the universes of his alternates after this episode like how the renegade went to Earth 50 to deal with Grayven, and not just something like a April Fools episode where he sees them, but actually go there and interact with them and any of the people there?

BlackCoat13 the Yellow Lantern version comes from Thundercats, the 2011 version.

The others I think are the common sense one and Sybarite.

9. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

Oh gods yes, me too.

10. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Yaul, or the Lord Protector, is from Thundercats 2011, the ancient spirits of evil thing are a big indication.

11. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

Huh... Lord Paultector sounds very familiar, but I don't remember if it was from an update or thread discussions.

Also nice update.

12. Agent Orange

Agent Orange Experienced.

CS Paul is way too OP for this kind of encounter but the 'big grin' is probably Sybarite.

13. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

He's from one of the two recent April Fools episodes, the second one I think.

The title of the chapters he appeared in is called 'Lantern Corps Ho!'

14. rkyeun

rkyeun Cabbitus Maximus

Oh damn, now that's a sweetass power synergy.
    Use magic to have the ancient spirits of evil reveal what someone's greatest fear is. And then apply yellow power ring to it.
    And Krona's trying to resist it with will, which is the rock to fear's paper in this analogy.

15. Idkusername

16. Lothlo

Lothlo Not too sore, are you?

If the fight escalates a bit more, do you think Paul will try the big guns and summon the Ophidian for that infinite Oompf of power?

17. Idkusername

It kinda depends on how the person using the ring and person being affected process emotions.
    What you said might have been true once, but not due to any inherent weakness in will, but because every green ring had a structural defect and weakness to fear, due to Parallax being imprisoned inside the Green Central Lantern Battery in Oa.

Last edited: May 10, 2020
  18. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

Eh, I'm just hoping that he at least gives DCAU Paul a fully recharged ring or a chance to recharge his ring.

19. Idkusername

Well, considering he can make (somewhat) functional lanterns, it won’t be too hard.

Last edited: May 10, 2020
    SaltyWaffles, Jaron, BBJimmy and 7 others like this.
  20. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Pretty sure that won't happen, but it would be funny if Batman discovers that the ring he stole was just a dud and Peter has had another one.

Hey Zoat has Kalmin taught paragon how to make power rings yet, ones that can work to be specific, seeing as he was able to make a crude but functional lantern one time?

21. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

Yup! If he does make one then why not a few for the others that don't have their own lanterns?

True, also it wouldn't even need to be a fully recharged ring for that. Just one that's over 50% charged.

Navi-Hank and Darko like this.
  22. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Ow. Okay, Clayling's ballistic approach might have been a little too enthusiastic...

You belong to the Orange Illustres now. No, trying to drain ring charge won't stop him.

"Then it pleases me to be the first." Today, at any rate...

Yup. Manhunter AI is not good enough to withstand a skilled Spectrum user...

Hack completed. And Clayling is still functional? Lucky little guy.

Good guess. Wait until you see who else is a Clayface...o_O

He's saved worlds with less charge than that. Time to get busy!

And his first thought is to summon His Rings. How Orange of him, though practical. All his stuff is in those rings!

Boy, this Ring's owner must have been taking it easy. No armour? Or is it because it's not his ring and it just made a fresh pocket for him? We've seen Rings do that before, most recently with Ghia'ta's Violet Ring he got stuck with...

Potent, but not likely to affect a Master of the Spectrum...

Well, he does have to worry about collateral damage, namely all his and Jade's alternates. He can't bust out the bignoisyfun stuff.

And Krona's so dismissive of him, he's treating the fight as an experiment. Gonna be real fun seeing him suffer his comeuppance.

And in the Inviolate Universe, the Orange Mega-Manhunter just tore itself apart. I'm picturing something akin to Unicron at the end of Transformers The Movie (1986.) The League in the other universe must be real confused right now...

Oh, that could go so wrong, if Krona's Will Save isn't high enough...

...And it is. Even without his symbionts' full power. That makes this fight a lot more even, since Krona is relying on Rings, not reality-manipulating sub-cellular organisms.

Oh, boy. He just healed himself, didn't he? At least he can't reboot his symbionts... (Hopefully!)

Boy, Krona loves to steal all the credit, doesn't he?

Boy, does he have no idea or what? I guess that's what the point of his experiments was, though.

Oh, it does. And they know how to kill Maltusians. You are not going to have a fun day...x3

That would be the Sybarite, I take it. Most Pauls never went to that extent.

And that would be Caul, exercising his true superpower: Common Sense!

Well, so much for the Yellow Mega-Manhunter. And that'll make the fight much easier over there.

Alongside his Godspeech Tourette's, as we've seen. OL really has to sit down and focus on working out just what he can really do, one of these days. Perhaps this will be the impetus to take that break.

Oh-ho, Yaul! Presumably from some point much later than we saw in his snippets.

Damn, Krona is hax. Good thing you get plenty of backup for this boss fight. Otherwise there'd be a lot of broken TVs from ballistic controller damage.

Whoops. Looks like Krona decided to get serious...

And so the big brawl begins! Dozens of Orange Lanterns (and a few other colours) all beating on a master of the Emotional Spectrum Technology. Looks like we're going to see if Quantity can beat out Quality...

Missing End Quotation mark.
    ...in an emotion-deprived coma...

23. Idkusername

I suspect that they might not have a chance to regroup and interact after the crisis is over, but I don’t see why Zoat would do that, diagetically or otherwise. Also, I apologise for the poor grammar earlier, I’m using a tablet.

Why the limit? Any ring with non-negligible charge should do.

Prince Charon and Darko like this.
  24. Idkusername

Nah, Paul will just assimilate him if does go mad on Orange juice.

25. Radiant Knight

Radiant Knight Phoenix Fire

This is great. Can't wait to read the next part.

26. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

Don't think he can. Gardener was able to hold him off with will alone, before he became Will Enlightened. I doubt Krona who his a Maltusian former Guardian will have weaker will.

Even if Hinon wasn't able to break his constructs.

27. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

It must be fascinating to fight with alternative selves.

Think of what one could learn!

It would be truky awesome to see them band together and cross planes regularly to fix their respective problems together, but I know that won't happen ever.

Think how ridiculously OP a swarm of SIs would be with Power Rings of all things!

28. Idkusername

No, Chojin was worried about Krona flipping out in the manner of Larfleeze when Paul enkindled his avarice. Think the yellow rings’ inspire fear, but much more targeted and only available to highly skilled orange light users. At that point his avarice would be high enough for a quick assimilation or branding.

Edit: he wouldn’t have access to the rest of the emotional spectrum, and his skill with avarice might allow him to resist, but it would be highly unlikely against nigh-on Orange elemental Paul.

Bramble Thorn, Cuchulin, Ardy and 5 others like this.
  29. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    [Looks at text, which has yellow quotation marks]

[Frowns]
    Paul 12 wasn't picked up by Krona.

Actually, incorrect starting quote.
    Thank you, corrected.
    BURN THE MIDGET COMPUTERS!

30. Idkusername

Ah, my mistake. They’re sometimes hard to make out from normal text when using the Dark Responsive theme, but that works wonders for all the other Lantern colours.

I thought you edited those in later on reloading the page. And I was ready to call you out on the ‘doesn’t count if I changed it before you post’, too.

You’re thinking of smartphones. The phrase you’re looking for is instruments of the devil. The only thing they’re better at than their counterparts is at playing videos and frustrating the user.