1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

He may have tried to follow up on that but got nowhere.

The info may not have been in the place they attacked and Highfather may not want them to get anywhere near Key before he gets rid of the Equation in him, and Highfather himself may not know how to do it.

The only ones who may know are Desaad, who may have figured it out, and Darkseid.

If Paul didn't find anything about this then he may have focused on other uplift projects and just forgot about it because he had so much on his plate already.

He may call him Lantern now as a show of respect for his rank, while he views Illustres as his god name.

He may feel like calling Paul by his god name would be wrong when they are on a mission.

It can be like calling a cop officer instead of their name when you meet them for the first time, or calling your commanding officer by their name rather than title when on a mission. It can be weird.

No, renegade Dox is the Clarissi in the renegade side.

Renegade is called First Lantern, at least that's what renegade Komand'r called him once if I remember correctly.

The Clarissi is basically in charge of organising a Corps.

The Illustres may be the most skillful of the ring users, and maybe train the other elite Lanterns as well as lead their Honor Guard.

The First Lantern may serve as the Corps champion and similarly lead the Honor Guard.

At least that's my understanding from what I've read, but I could be wrong.

Prince Charon, Chaospawn and DrThoth like this.
  2. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

In this story, the title First Lantern is like a dictator in Republican Rome. An individual is given extraordinary authority to deal with a crisis. It reflects the fact that Grayven can do whatever the heck he wants.

3. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

It's fine if that happened, but that would deserve a mention in-story at the very least, and I don't believe that was the case. Of course, New Genesis can't really be allowed to be competent or make meaningful headway (in 3 canon seasons all we've seen from them are a bunch of naive idealistic teens and possibly Metron, who while not incompetent isn't on anyone's side but his own). I don't think Paragon's ever explicitly given a reason for not wanting to visit Highfather though, even if there are a bunch I can think of.

Maybe I forgot (semi-ironic given what I'm discussing) or am just mistaken, but doesn't Paragon have an eidetic memory for everything that happened after his initial power ring-assisted makeover?

Last edited: Sep 12, 2020
  4. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

New Gods tend to think of paragon as being an Apokaliptian due to his avarice composed soul so he may not want to deal with the suspicion they would have of him.

Highfather is also interested in upholding the treaty and helping them against Apokalips may be breaking it.

Yes Apokalips is doing horrible things now, but I'm betting that if they actually went to war it would be a hundred times worse and hundreds of worlds could burn.

Paul may not be trying to deal with Highfather because he doesn't consider it possible to get anything from him.

Scott wasn't able to make much headway and he's the guys son, while Paul is just some stranger that has no connection to him and feels Apokaliptian.

Paul may have an eidetic memory but he may not instantly remember things, but when he does he remembers every single detail.

Cuchulin likes this.
  5. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Actually there's a potential third source of New Gods.

You see, in the comics, Metron? Metron claims to be born of neither New Genesis or Apokalips.

He uses it to justify his lack of interest in the New God-Apokalips war. "It's not my war, I'm from neither planet, sort it out yourselves."

Offhand if Zoat didn't want to make something up whole cloth, he could use Magog's people.

In the Magog series it turned out that Gog when he pulled his Galactus impression and made Magog his herald turned him into an Old God.

Much to Magog's surprise, Magog's (as in the Old God, not David Reid) relatives showed up alive on Earth.

The kingdom of Blighted Albion. Gogmagog is a giant from Athurian myth.

So in DC it seems that the original King Arthur was/is an Old God.

So it wouldn't be too much of a change to make Blighted Albion a third faction of New Gods.

Not that I'm holding my breath, but thought I'd put it out there.

6. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

I played one of those in a game once. Well, mine didn't have the needle-sized rapier; that was his teammate (who rode a large, trained housecat). My character was a spellcaster, preferring fiery lasers or blasts of razor-sharp sand.

Missing the closing quote on the godspeech.

Mr Zoat and Chojin Patriarch like this.
  7. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Given we have evidence of him forgetting things since his "upgrade" I don't think his memory would qualify as eidetic.

8. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

He displayed some things even pretty early on. IIRC, when ParaPaul and Wonder Woman first met Barda and Scott Free, he managed to produce Godspeech that Barda could hear, though he didn't notice or intend to (something like 'pointless pointless stop stop').

9. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

10. Threadmarks: Faed Away (part 12)
    Mr Zoat

5th May
    03:03 GMT -5

There's light at the end of the tunnel, a dull and washed out blue clashing with my own orange glow. Otherwise there's next to no electromagnetic radiation… Though again, that could just be the wards. Can't scan ahead and I can't see much from this position-.

Canis and Brut burst through the entrance first, and by some miracle aren't immediately riddled with energy blasts. I'm a half-second behind them-. It's a cavern, possibly naturally occurring-? Volcanic rock. An old magma chamber?

Most of the interior wall is covered in the same coral structures as Melmoth's redoubt was made of, There are… Patches of the lichen, but it's not growing on the coral. I assume that it's designed not to attach itself to other Sheeda growths. Or perhaps enchanted? Globs of some sort of resin are attached to the coral in various places, and they're the source of the sickly light which permeates the gloom. There are a dozen or so tiny tunnels leading upwards towards the surface visible on the upper walls and the ceiling of the chamber-

"Ah, you again."

-and another image of Melmoth shining from a dais at the centre.

"So glad to see you!"

There's a staircase leading down near that dais, and I can see the abduction victims walking zombie-like down into the bowels of the earth. I fly-.

"And-. Oh my, is that a God?"

Something lands on my right shoulder and I throw up construct spines to stab it! The Sheeda maggot gurgles, gunge leaking from mouth and stab wounds as it shimmers back into visibility.

"Canis?"

"I haven't seen a God for millennia. What brings you here?"

Brut slows as Canis stares around the chamber, as if he were searching for something. "There is something here. Something of the New Gods."

"We can pull the place apart once it's safe." I fly for the staircase, strands darting at the Spine Riders who turn their hosts around and generate warding witch-signs. "Just-."

"Are you trying to-" Canis swings his rod and smashes a maggot clear across the chamber and through Melmoth's illusory face. "-rise above your station, elf-man? Would you-"

Two of the globs of light glow slightly brighter for a moment and then fire, beams of blue plasma lancing out to strike at Canis! A twitch of his legs and Brut jinks, the beams missing and-. And reforming into blobs.. at the point of impact, their glow now considerably dimmer.

I've… I've never seen a weapon like that before.

"-dream of-"

Three start glowing, and Canis's momentum-. I interpose myself, taking a solid shield out of subspace and bracing in the air. The beam hits, and my armour takes it without too much-.

Pjjccchhhuuukkk!

My armour doesn't take that without too much difficulty! Explosive acidic plasma! Shield's gone, arm's gone and a lot of armour has been eaten through-

"That looks painful."

-and something is nullifying my usual pain nullification! Gaaagh! Cauterise! Remove affected armour plates and flesh! Regenerate and evade!

Gritting my teeth as I dart aside from a follow-up shot, charred meat that used to be part of me falling out of the hole in my armour. Canis-. Took a hit, and I see him roll to his feet in time to dodge another two shots. Brut's heading for the people going down the stairs while his master tries to make it to the dais. Right, so I can-.

Dodge again! Dodge again!

"I rather thought that I'd hit a ring, there."

Okay. Feeling slightly better with my chest and shoulder back in one piece. Railgun, solid shot, target a glob and fire.

Shot punches right through without disrupting it at all.

That's… Not how fluid dynamics usually works, but fine. Load mage slayer, fire and move!

"Lanterns. Such an adaptable nuisance."

The glob goes out and slumps, whatever was holding it together allowing it to survive in a semi-solid mass but not preventing the magic being nullified. Or something simpler, maybe? I evade again and wait until a glob near Canis glows and then fling a plate of steel into the space between them. It hits and creates a violent explosion, heat, pressure, light and acid exploding in all directions and only slightly redirected by the metal that it swiftly consumes! But Canis is unaffected and.. it doesn't appear to be re-coagulating.

Whereas the one -dodge!- that I shot with my mage slayer just re-enchanted itself and tried to shoot me. Low tech solution it is, then.

I head towards-. Darn it, the puppeted Columbians are out of sight. Head that way anyway, draw fire. Can't tell where the globs are going to be shooting reliably but the 'glow-to-fire' gap appears to be constant. Firing firing and throw! Yes! Another one dowand that's a lot of lights.

Ah.

"And you were doing so-."

Canis does something to the console as Melmoth vanishes, which is progress, but doesn't do much to help with the shots I'm about to-.

Think fast.

Beehive structure, base filler to try and make it explode outwards when the two reach, secondary layer, tertiary layer and force field to protect against the mundane effects build build build! The near-sphere appears around me piece by piece as the orange light takes what it can from subspace and transmutes the rest, printing the material into three dimensional space as quick as I can make it! I can't see out once a layer is complete so I just have to cross my fingers and prepare to dodge if something-.

The structure shakes as the beams hit home, and I start losing construct probes in the outer layer at the same time as the first base-acid explosions start happening. Given the patterns of pressure, angles of attack and the weight of the whole thing, I estimate-.

The second layer explosions on the underside go off and the third layer is unaffected while the third layer above me is still taking damage. I use construct blades to cut a hole down and then fly down and out before dropping the acid shelter on the ground. Not bad for a.. two second job. Lights are out so I take light globes out of subspace and toss them around before heading for the stairs.

"Canis, you alive?"

A passing globe lights up the dais, shining on his face as he works the console.

"Yes. I thought that Mother Box might have a little more luck against the Sheeda systems than your power ring." He shakes his head. "It is a sad day for Apokolips when we are less feared than you are."

"I suspect that Darkseid would find the Sheeda instructive, if only as an example of mediocrity."

"But they know us, know our technology and abilities. You are concerned for what their existence means for your people." Canis glances at me for a moment, considerably more serious-looking than I'm used to him being. "I am concerned what it means for mine."

Yes, Apokolips being gone. What a… Tragedy.

"Alright, you work on that, I'm going to follow the Columbians. I'll shout if I need you."

Last edited: Sep 13, 2020
  11. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Maybe 'to the'

'is' not 'if'

Maybe 'going to'

Truly it is a tragedy on the same level as Hitlers death.

Sniff sniff.

12. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Given they had thousands of years to study a Father Box it shouldn't.

But then I suspect Zoat forgot about that.

Cuchulin likes this.
  13. Organmonkey

Organmonkey Versed in the lewd.

Canis is right to be worried. Apokolips exists in a higher plane of existence anything that destroyed it would have to be so powerful it's a threat to all existence. Second if the new gods are gone who took their concepts over? Something had to because the Sheeda prove tyranny and war still exist.

14. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I think he'll be fine when he learns that they only know about the New Gods because a caveman that was experimented on by them travelled to the Sheeda's time and was captured.

15. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

Was Paul actually accelerating his brain here? If so, it's not clear because it's not consistent with the way you've described this in past episodes.

16. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

In Young Justice Apokolipse is just another planet in the universe that can be reached through regular space.

17. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I don't think Apokalips exists in something like the Sphere of Gods in this story, but is just a planet in the universe and not one in another dimension.

It could have been destroyed by either the New Genesians, or maybe the Lanterns or something else.

They could have also destroyed themselves or made themselves irrevelant in the greater scheme of the universe.

In Earth 50 they went civil war after Darkseid's death, so maybe Darkseid was killed and they went to war with each other and either blew themselves up or are still fighting but have no spaceships, ways to build more, or anyone that has any power worth mentioning.

The New Gods also probably don't manage their concepts on a universal scale.

They have powers connected to their concepts, like Metron being super intelligent and Darkseid being able to dominate people, but I don't think they serve as some kind of necessary cogs in the universe.

War and Tyranny existed long before they came about and will probably continue to exist long after they're gone.

Though I guess it could be possible to do some kind of ritual on them that gets rid of, or buries, their concept on a universal scale.

I remember this YJ SI story in which the MC, who is blessed by a lot of pagan gods to act as a priest, captures and magically mutilates a child abuse elemental or something, and it allows him to deal a giant blow to child abusers in the world.

18. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Redirecting the Harrowing to appear on Apokolips may be useful.

19. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

At least you know this 'light at the end of the tunnel' isn't a train. Hopefully whatever's ahead doesn't hit like one.

Typical Sheeda, really. Repurposing something that already exists. and since this is DC, that cavern could be the size of a city.

Crud, the whole region is riddled with Sheeda tunnels, isn't it? :eek: They could come up like anthills everywhere. No wonder the others are running around putting out brush fires.

Great, more dealing with ol' Swirly-cheeks' false joviality.

Objective in sight. But don't forget about the defences.

Because of course Melmoth can recognise an Apokaliptian. Guess that Father Box is playing nice for him then.

Gods, will someone shut him up please? Dude is tailor-made to get on people's nerves, isn't he?

Time for some rip-'n'-tear action on the pixies. Remember, kill the mobs, then go looting.

Something like baby plasma constructs? Miniature versions of the living sun The Renegade fought?

No time for chit-chat, Canis. Get your DPS butt in gear. And good to see there are still things that can surprise OL...

:eek: ...Well, that's not good. Weapons tailored for anti-Lantern work?

...Arm gone? Ouch. Howsabout you don't pull that tanking shit again, OL? I rather doubt you can take too much of that.

-Try to survive. Seriously, this is bad tactical thinking. Bearding the enemy in their own lair, on ground of their preparation. No wonder they're kicking your arse. I thought you were listening during the Team's lectures, OL?

Thankfully, OL still has his rings buried inside his chest and brain, doesn't he? Good thing, methinks. Might want to make that a more permanent option.

Oh, that's just bullshit. It's not even phasing, much less vaporous.

You know it, pointy-ears. :p I'm going to enjoy seeing your immortal ass get kicked repeatedly.

So, they die upon exploding. Just hope you can keep tossing steel plates at them, then.

Crap, you pulled too much aggro. Dammit, OL!

'So well'? Just a matter of time, pinky.

At least Swirly-cheeks has been shut up (Thank you, Canis!) And now we get to see some accelerated thinking.

Bubble-shield from hell, baby. Now that is how you tank an army of glob-goblins...

Oof. Yay for Lantern adaptability. That's one hell of a mess.

Ah, good, he's intact. Mostly, I assume.

He'd probably take one look, shrug dismissively and order them squashed like the bugs they are. Sheeda are petty, sadistic and small-minded, at their core. I doubt He would find anything noteworthy about them.

Eh, worst case, the named nobility would escape somehow and turn up on Earth, because Fifth World. At extreme worst, you get Final Crisis.

And splitting the party further. Goddammit, OL...

And the chase continues. Let's hope there's at least some way to extract the captives easily down there, or OL is facing one nasty Escort Mission to get them out. Assuming he can't Transition them out. Of course, who knows what's ahead...

20. Assblaster5000

Assblaster5000 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Well that certainly sounds... interesting, got a link?

21. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

Lord Darkseid would likely find that a amusing diversion.

22. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

They don't really.

That was something invented by Zoat, in actuality the only one's with that sort of power are Darkseid and the like who have fragments of the Anti-Life/Life equation.

23. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Even if they can't do much damage to them they can still hurt Apokalips a bit and be wiped out in the process.

So win win for the good guys.

Having difficulty with that using my phone, but the story is called 'The Gift of the One' by ganonso on SB.

I'll be back to using a computer tomorrow and I'll see about sending it to you, but be warned the story can be a bit poetic in its descriptions and it hasn't been updated for some time.

24. Assblaster5000

Assblaster5000 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Thanks, and the poetic nature of it probably won't bother me, I have rather high tolerances for formatting after all my years of reading fanfics.

ChestBurster and Darko like this.
  25. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Melmoth is basically a discount version of Darkseid.

An evil ruler that does evil things for his own evil pleasure, so it makes sense that the Box would work for him.

Granted Melmoth may not want to use the AL Equation because he's a jovial guy and considers the Equation to be so.... ugh.... emo.

Seriously Darkseid is just a gigantic emo when you think about it.

I think the Sheeda had these giant green blob monsters working for them, so that could be the blobs we're seeing now.

In fairness to Paul's tactical decisions, they needed to save those people and see what Melmoth was doing, so they needed to get inside.

Sometimes some decisions will have a lot of faults no matter what.

Darkseid is himself petty and sadistic, though not that much small minded in his desire for suffering.

He emotionally abuses Kalibak and has billions of people tortured and wants to wipe out free will because his girlfriend died.

26. lancelot

lancelot Grand High Poobah

I have to ask at some point will Paul stop sand bagging during this little adventure and the follow up invasion?

27. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

He may still think that he can handle this without going full Host of the Ophidian, at least for now.

If the Harrowing is happening on Earth then he may change his mind.

Cuchulin likes this.
  28. Mr Zoat

No, it means 'in the direction of, trying to reach'.
    Thank you, corrected.

29. Jacen

Jacen I am of no consequence.

..how does he have mageslayers... I thought those needed enchanting?

30. thebishop8

thebishop8 Umm, ackchyually...

He keeps a supply of them.

Ardy likes this.