• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Cold Iron (part 1)
Cold Iron

25th June 2012
11:25 GMT

John and I simultaneously generate construct barriers to shield the population of the park, and I rise a short distance into the air as I use my ring to scan the area. Patchy return from the Sheeda units, and it looks like they're dropping off infantry in the town.

"Orders, Captain?"

More proof that the Justice League needs a better-. An actual command structure. Diana has command of the mission, but everyone else who went along only has the authority she chose to give them. I'm asking Major Adams for orders because he has seniority… Literally, a higher number, not because he's actually supposed to be in charge of anything. But if a man who fought in the Vietnam War is shy about ordering us to kill people…

I glance down and I see him reason through the issues associated with using League power in a situation like this. He isn't ignorant by any means, and I see my own face from multiple angles, his recollections of points I raised giving direction to his own-

"Military order. Stop the attack."

-intuitions.

"Good-"

Thin strands of orange light leap from my shield constructs, each one terminating in-. Okay, they dissolve into orange mist just before hitting the Sheeda. Fine, since the Sheeda seem to be members of the 'no helmet' club, I generate pulse laser constructs and open fire with those instead. Three, four drop, flies wallow in the air as their wings begin to burn-.

"-show."

The horde vanishes. I continue shooting at their predicted last locations, careful to aim upwards so that I don't risk hitting the town I'm trying to protect. Next, armour from subspace and-

The first entropic rays burn lines across the sky, but with my armour still optimised to withstand them I'm not all that worried.

-switch to sensor-based targeting. Visible light lasers aren't going to work on people using invisibility, so I switch to masers.

Below me, Beulah has her jezzail out and I hear a boom as she opens fire. Abednego is sheltering the theonomist who is clutching a cluster of small sigils and chanting quickly. Hopefully, some sort of mass-countermagic. Major Adams is receiving a frantic briefing from a British Army captain someone found him. Without any sort of augmented vision his ability to kill our attackers will be severely compromised.

There's a flash of light-. A tent I hadn't noted before is marked with the sword on a shield design of the Congregation glows brilliantly for a moment, then a group of five Congregationalists run out. They're not wearing their usual loose red clothes with white detailing any more; they're in light body armour with a runic design which.. a momentary review suggests is there to improve their energy discharges. Further flashes follow as more of them teleport in.

Whoever's firing those entropic rays has gotten their eye in. A series of beams strikes my cuirass, a flicker of light at first and then a continual beam. The origin point appears to be an empty space and if they're not worried about focused electromagnetic energy at all… Yes, the beams don't cut out when I point my masers their way.

But guess who's not the only one who can create entropic rays?

The maser constructs grow slightly but maintain their outlines, then the maser beams vanish and red beams flick out. I can't see the Sheeda, but I know their shape and can judge their approximate loc-.

Yes, there we go. Beams cut out and there, the gunfly and its passengers flicker back into visibility with chunks of their bodies missing. Fragile, then.

A cluster of Congregationalists are gathered at the south side of the park, glowing as they build up power. About half of the army contingent is forming up in a line behind them, all either wearing goggles or obviously shielding their eyes in preparation for the eventual discharge.

It's been a while since I've been to Ipswich, but the place looks reasonably intact. I don't think this area has seen sustained fighting-.

A crisp packet vanishes and I fire again, hitting a Sheeda soldier who had been too confident in his invisibility. Spraying fire at that area gets me another two kills and a dozen potholes. I've got no idea whether the Sheeda can see each other or what their drill is, so I don't know if there will be others close together like that… But the streets look relatively empty. I-.

The light flares and my world briefly goes dark. The town is blindingly illuminated, and-. I'm getting returns from the Sheeda. I stick with entropic beams, shooting out the heads of the flies with support weapons. There… Don't appear to be as many as I registered coming in. Pulled back? Teleported?

"You best with the soldiers or staying here?"

John might not be able to kill people without specific Guardian authorisation, but he can shield other people while they do it. And he can beat someone nearly to death and then leave them for someone else to finish off. And… If the Sheeda start using mass entropic ray fire on the refugees, he… Probably couldn't stop that. I could.

"Staying here. I've got the shields."

His constructs vanish and he heads to the front lines as the soldiers storm forwards, medics checking the collapsed Congregationalists and directing stretcher-bearers to move them back out of the way. Radio detection shows John relaying the positions of the Sheeda to the officers directing the attack while I continue my fly cull. Red beams flash out of a house in the path of the advance, but John's command of ablative barriers and his sheer bloody-mindedness allow him to keep his shield up for long enough to swing a wrecking ball construct into the wall next to them. Soldiers just behind him… Don't bother taking cover, which… Yes, with guns like these there wouldn't be much point. Instead they crouch to minimise their profile and open fire, shredding the interior of the upper floor of the house.

Not a lot of flies left. I'm leaving a few to try and tempt the Sheeda soldiers to cluster around them to try and escape, as well as shooting Sheeda in the path of the soldiers' advance to thin their numbers and reduce their ability to resist. I don't think they're taking it-.

Across the town, Sheeda soldiers fix shields in place while others move to whatever flat surfaces they can and trace out symbols-.

I begin sniping the ones doing the tracing, shifting guns around-.

Red beams from my right, outside of the cone affected by the Congregationalists! I shift focus, retraining my guns on the place the beams appear to come from and reinforcing-

"AAAAH!"

-the barrier protecting the panicking civilians below me. Major Adams takes a shot and the burned remains of a gunfly and its crew collapse and fall to the ground. Since the ground on that side is open fields I switch to railguns, loading Columbian-enchanted mageslayers and opening fire. I miss twice as the fly riders learn how to shoot and scoot, but clipping a single wing is all it takes to break the invisibility effect. Beulah hits my target with an incineration round a moment later and immolates them.

The rapidly-traced circles shimmer into… They look like Dolmen gates. I… No, Major Adams is in charge and my primary responsibility is to defend the civilian population.

I abandon my gun constructs, generate a large fly swatter construct and swing it through the area occupied by the distraction attack. Tiny disruptions mark where flies are struck and I extrude cables to assimilate them. As predicted, the local Sheeda are under the same onus as those in Columbia and decay the moment I get solid contact.

"Orange Lantern!" I look around to Major Adams. "Try and take some alive!"

I stop the swatter construct on its next hit and change it into a net, which wraps around something I can't see and binds it. Then… Drain.

There's a weight on the bottom of the construct as the fly and its passengers collapse, shimmering back into visibility as the enchantments on their chitin and armour are consumed. Looking back at Ipswich I see that all of the Sheeda who were rendered visible have retreated. Those still alive, anyway; rushed Dolmen gates appear to have a failure rate.

"Orange Lantern, stay on overwatch but keep listening. Green Lantern, stay with the soldiers as they sweep and clear. I need to find out what the hell is going on."

Last edited:
You know... Realistically Paul's actions in Gate would probably backfire...

Because if the JSDF can't actually secure things, they will probably shove a nuke through, and not one of those low yield nuclear weapons Grayven dealt with either, but a double or triple megaton yield big boy that would completely annihilate everything.

Because if the JSDF can't actually secure things, they will probably shove a nuke through, and not one of those low yield nuclear weapons Grayven dealt with either, but a double or triple megaton yield big boy that would completely annihilate everything.
JSDF don't have nukes. Japan probably could create their own nukes if they wanted to, but it would take months.

The origin points appears

'point appears' or 'points appear'

The maser construct grow slightly

'constructs'

glowing as the build up power.

'they build'

The town is blinding illuminated,

'blindingly'

medics checking the collapses Congregationalists

'collapsed'

Last edited:
Is there any reason that OL doesn't use drones in combat? Graven is fucking people up with them, but OL hasn't even thought of them? Wouldn't he be able to make smart construct drones as well as just manufacturing them with a little help from some tech genies?

JSDF don't have nukes. Japan probably could create their own nukes if they wanted to, but it would take months.

Plus there is no real reason to start with nukes, they can work their way up with conventional and chemical weapons first

It's still odd to see the number two of the Orange Lantern Corps take orders from a Leaguer.

Yeah, that's the JL star power for you.

You know... Realistically Paul's actions in Gate would probably backfire...

1) Japan made a movie about the horrors of getting nuked. It was Godzilla (the original one)

2) The fantasy nation had taken a decent number of Japanese citizens hostage before being pushed back through the gate and nuking the fantasy nation means nuking those captives.

3) It's hard to profit from an irradiated hellhole.

It's still odd to see the number two of the Orange Lantern Corps take orders from a Leaguer.

Paul still works for the League and Adams is also a very experienced soldier and commander, with decades of experience compared to the months OL has lead his Corps.

If makes perfect sense why he would listen to the orders Adams gives.

Last edited:
Cold Iron

25th June 2012
11:25 GMT

John and I simultaneously generate construct barriers to shield the population of the park, and I rise a short distance into the air as I use my ring to scan the area. Patchy return from the Sheeda units, and it looks like they're dropping off infantry in the town.
And straight into the action for the episode! Finally, we get to see some Sheeda getting their asses handed to them on a Cold Iron platter.

"Orders, Captain?"

More proof that the Justice League needs a better-. An actual command structure. Diana has command of the mission, but everyone else who went along only has the authority she chose to give them. I'm asking Major Adams for orders because he has seniority… Literally, a higher number, not because he's actually supposed to be in charge of anything. But if a man who fought in the Vietnam War is shy about ordering us to kill people…
And this is largely a military operation at this point. Working with local military troops, fighting an invading army... Also, Adams is probably standing closer. :p

I glance down and I see him reason through the issues associated with using League power in a situation like this. He isn't ignorant by any means, and I see my own face from multiple angles, his recollections of points I raised giving direction to his own-

"Military order. Stop the attack."
So, lethal force authorised in defence of civilians. That's something OL is rather good at...

-intuitions.

"Good-"
Multi-layered shields, high-precision lasers... And OL should have access to his local subspace pocket again, so plenty of anti-magic weaponry... These knife-ears aren't going to know what hit them...

Thin strands of orange light leap from my shield constructs, each one terminating in-. Okay, they dissolve into orange mist just before hitting the Sheeda. Fine, since the Sheeda seem to be members of the 'no helmet' club, I generate pulse laser constructs and open fire with those instead. Three, four drop, flies wallow in the air as their wings begin to burn-.

"-show."
Glad to see the Sheeda are still stupidly overconfident. That'll make things much easier.

The horde vanishes. I continue shooting at their predicted last locations, careful to aim upwards so that I don't risk hitting the town I'm trying to protect. Next, armour from subspace and-

The first entropic rays burn lines across the sky, but with my armour still optimised to withstand them I'm not all that worried.
Oh, they have got to be sweating bullets now. And organising themselves to target him first...

-switch to sensor-based targeting. Visible light lasers aren't going to work on people using invisibility, so I switch to masers.

Below me, Beulah has her jezzail out and I hear a boom as she opens fire. Abednego is sheltering the theonomist who is clutching a cluster of small sigils and chanting quickly. Hopefully, some sort of mass-countermagic. Major Adams is receiving a frantic briefing from a British Army captain someone found him. Without any sort of augmented vision his ability to kill our attackers will be severely compromised.
Short of a blanket barrage at a wide angle, he's definitely not going to be able to do much.

There's a flash of light-. A tent I hadn't noted before is marked with sword on a shield design of the Congregation glows brilliantly for a moment, then a group of five Congregationalists run out. They're not wearing their usual loose red clothes with white detailing any more; they're in light body armour with a runic design which.. a momentary review suggests is there to improve their energy discharges. Further flashes follow as more of them teleport in.
Local support. Even better. And good to see they've cottoned onto defensive upgrades. I wonder if they started before or after the Harrowing began?

Whoever's firing those entropic rays has gotten their eye in. A series of beams strikes my cuirass, a flicker of light at first and then a continual beam. The origin points appears to be an empty space and if they're not worried about focused electromagnetic energy at all… Yes, the beams don't cut out when I point my masers their way.

But guess who's not the only one who can create entropic rays?
Probably not that difficult a weapons technology. No doubt why the Sheeda prefer it, and have a biological construct capable of using them.

The maser construct grow slightly but maintain their outlines, then the maser beams vanish and red beams flick out. I can't see the Sheeda, but I know their shape and can judge their approximate loc-.

Yes, there we go. Beams cut out and there, the gunfly and its passengers flicker back into visibility with chunks of their bodies missing. Fragile, then.
Flying tank vs light cavalry. Bite the pillow, Sheeda, and brace yourselves...

A cluster of Congregationalists are gathered at the south side of the park, glowing as the build up power. About half of the army contingent is forming up in a line behind them, all either wear goggles or obviously shielding their eyes in preparation for the eventual discharge.

It's been a while since I've been to Ipswich, but the place looks reasonably intact. I don't think this area has seen sustained fighting-.
Which leaves the question of how much damage has been done elsewhere? What would be the Sheeda's priority? People? Easily-secured resources? The Tyranid route of all available biomass?

A crisp packet vanishes and I fire again, hitting a Sheeda soldier who had been too confident in his invisibility. Spraying fire at that area gets me another two kills and a dozen potholes. I've got no idea whether the Sheeda can see each other or what their drill is, so I don't know if there will be others close together like that… But the streets look relatively empty. I-.
Never trust your eyes when fighting invisible opponents. Perhaps a net of filaments, gaps just too narrow for them to dodge?

The light flares and my world briefly goes dark. The town is blinding illuminated, and-. I'm getting returns from the Sheeda. I stick with entropic beams, shooting out the heads of the flies with support weapons. There… Don't appear to be as many as I registered coming in. Pulled back? Teleported?

"You best with the soldiers or staying here?"
Wide-area antimagic burst? A mass invisibility purge of some sort? Whatever it was, they did good.

John might not be able to kill people without specific Guardian authorisation, but he can shield other people while they do it. And he can beat someone nearly to death and then leave them for someone else to finish off. And… If the Sheeda start using mass entropic ray fire on the refugees, he… Probably couldn't stop that. I could.

"Staying here. I've got the shields."
Yeah, better to leave the defence to those better at it. And if there's one thing Orange Lanterns are good at, it's defending something they want intact.

His constructs vanish and he heads to the front lines as the soldiers storm forwards, medics checking the collapses Congregationalists and directing stretcher-bearers to move them back out of the way. Radio detection shows John relaying the positions of the Sheeda to the officers directing the attack while I continue my fly cull. Red beams flash out of a house in the path of the advance, but John's command of ablative barriers and his sheer bloody-mindedness allows him to keep his shield up for long enough to swing a wrecking ball construct into the wall next to them. Soldiers just behind him… Don't bother taking cover, which… Yes, with guns like these there wouldn't be much point. Instead they crouch to minimise their profile and open fire, shredding the interior of the upper floor of the house.
Taking the Sheeda down, and the soldiers get to work off some well-deserved anger, I bet. Win-win.

Not a lot of flies left. I'm leaving a few to try and tempt the Sheeda soldiers to cluster around them to try and escape, as well as shooting Sheeda in the path of the soldiers' advance to thin their numbers and reduce their ability to resist. I don't think they're taking it-.

Across the town, Sheeda soldiers fix shields in place while others move to whatever flat surfaces they can and trace out symbols-.
A large-scale teleport circle, or a wide-area barrier to box in the opposition? Either way, not something you want to allow.

I begin sniping the ones doing the tracing, shifting guns around-.

Red beams from my right, outside of the cone affected by the Congregationalists! I shift focus, retraining my guns on the place the beams appear to come from and reinforcing-
Bloody Outflank deployment! Bane of many a gunline army in Warhammer...

"AAAAH!"

-the barrier protecting the panicking civilians below me. Major Adams takes a shot and the burned remains of a gunfly and its crew collapse and fall to the ground. Since the ground on that side is open fields I switch to railguns, loading Columbian-enchanted mageslayers and opening fire. I miss twice as the fly riders learn how to shoot and scoot, but clipping a single wing is all it takes to break the invisibility affect. Beulah hits my target with an incineration round a moment later and immolates them.
Nice combination. He exposes them, she brings them down. Sniper tag-teaming.

The rapidly-traced circles shimmer into… They look like Dolmen gates. I… No, Major Adams is in charge and my primary responsibility is to defend the civilian population.

I abandon my gun constructs, generate a large fly swatter construct and swing it through the area occupied by the distraction attack. Tiny disruptions mark where flies are struck and I extrude cables to assimilate them. As predicted, the local Sheeda are under the same onus as those in Columbia and decay the moment I get solid contact.
At least it's a way to get quick mission-kills. Still impressive that they have a defence that specific against Orange Light.

"Orange Lantern!" I look around to Major Adams. "Try and take some alive!"

I stop the swatter construct on its next hit and change it into a net, which wraps around something I can't see and binds it. Then… Drain.
Omnomnom on that magic.

There's a weight on the bottom of the construct as the fly and its passengers collapse, shimmering back into visibility as the enchantments on their chitin and armour are consumed. Looking back at Ipswich I see that all of the Sheeda who were rendered visible have retreated. Those still alive, anyway; rushed Dolmen gates appear to have a failure rate.

"Orange Lantern, stay on overwatch but keep listening. Green Lantern, stay with the soldiers as they sweep and clear. I need to find out what the hell is going on."
At the local level, it's pretty clear. Raiding and pillaging (presumably Rape is saved for once they have them back at home...) The larger strategic picture, though... That's going to be a mess.

I have a strong suspicion things aren't going as well for this Earth as it did for the Renegade's. They might have had some warning about the Sheeda coming but hadn't really gotten any defences set up yet... One of the first things OL should do when he gets time is call the Sivana family...And maybe a few extra Orange Lanterns...

Wrong setting, this is Gate where Japan withdrew from those treaties awhile back.

2) The fantasy nation had taken a decent number of Japanese citizens hostage before being pushed back through the gate and nuking the fantasy nation means nuking those captives.
Japan doesn't know about those captives at this point in the timeline.

Better no profit then an aggressive expansionist empire with a direct line of access to your capital.

1) Japan made a movie about the horrors of getting nuked. It was Godzilla (the original one)

Japan neighbors China and Russia, and is a defacto vassal state of the US. None of them would hesitate at using nukes to prevent an extra-dimensional invasion, especially with magic involved. If Gate weren't blatantly Japan Fuck Yeah!, US Marines would be the second wave through the portal, probably with tactical nukes. If Terran forces determined it was suitable for conquest liberation, they would almost certainly cut the Chinese and Russians in to avoid WW3, otherwise the Chinese or Russians would probably end up bombing Japan to deny magic to the US.

The normal rules of diplomacy go out the window when OCPs arrive.

Oh, and Best Korea would probably have something to say about Japan gaining magic.

Japan neighbors China and Russia, and is a defacto vassal state of the US. None of them would hesitate at using nukes to prevent an extra-dimensional invasion, especially with magic involved. If Gate weren't blatantly Japan Fuck Yeah!, US Marines would be the second wave through the portal, probably with tactical nukes. If Terran forces determined it was suitable for conquest liberation, they would almost certainly cut the Chinese and Russians in to avoid WW3, otherwise the Chinese or Russians would probably end up bombing Japan to deny magic to the US.

Oh, and Best Korea would probably have something to say about Japan gaining magic.

Whelp. That certainly is a take.

Bro just ask America or China for a small nuclear bomb loan. Easy peasy international relationships are strong enough to survive a nuclear bomb exchange!!

Haha

I've only seen a few episodes or chapters of that JDSF gate thing but I imagine the rest of the world finds out about a doorway to another world and reacts accordingly or crazily haha.

Paul still works for the League and Adams is also a very experienced soldier and commander, with decades of experience compared to the months OL has lead his Corps.

If makes perfect sense why he would listen to the orders Adams gives.
Besides he doesn't actually have anything he really cares about at stake here.

Next, armour from subspace and-

Wait which subspace pocket is he accessing here? At first I thought that pockets were attached to/following the rings that made them around but after the Columbian episode I no longer think that's the case. They stay physically wherever the Lantern was when they first made them and ring just accesses them remotely. Or something? That means that the pocket he made in Melmoth's sandbox is still there and he's somehow accessing it from Earth? Despite not being able to access his first pocket while in the sandbox? I am confused. Is OL still nerfed gearwise?

the burned remains of a gunfly

Gunfly? Like a gunboat? Attack craft?

Is there any reason that OL doesn't use drones in combat?

You see OL is walking the Orange Light Sage path, just spamming drones would mar the image he's trying to project. Only those who can't use their rings *properly* use drones after all. /s

If Gate weren't blatantly Japan Fuck Yeah!, US Marines would be the second wave through the portal, probably with tactical nukes.

Now that sounds like a Japanese Stargate remake. The 1994 movie not the series.

taking a portable boom along when exploring new worlds is just common sense.

Sure but maybe not go with a frickin' nuke from the get go? Either the other side understands what you're packing and any negotiations/diplomacy goes out of the window or they don't and the nuke is useless ass the 'big stick'. I mean, it's not a weapon you can use for anything but bluffing (if you want to make any use of the other side at least), and if they call your bluff your only choices are 'looking weak' or "winning".

I believe that somewhere in the background details of Gate it mentions that Japan and the US are more distant than they are in reality. Which is a shame; that sort of detial would have made an interesting inclusion in the actual meat of the story.
Wait which subspace pocket is he accessing here? At first I thought that pockets were attached to/following the rings that made them around but after the Columbian episode I no longer think that's the case. They stay physically wherever the Lantern was when they first made them and ring just accesses them remotely. Or something? That means that the pocket he made in Melmoth's sandbox is still there and he's somehow accessing it from Earth? Despite not being able to access his first pocket while in the sandbox? I am confused. Is OL still nerfed gearwise?
Let's say the one he left on Earth.
Gunfly? Like a gunboat? Attack craft?
A fly. With guns on it. As opposed to a transport fly.

in reality, no, but in the skewed, nationalistic propaganda-verse of Gate?

...... you're right. nukes would be out of character.
maybe chemical/biowar agents? they were -really- in vogue in the last period japan was militarised.....

Could John do an emergency beacon thing and call in reinforcements from the Green Lantern Corps? And I guess Paul doing the same with the Orange Lantern Corps?

in reality, no, but in the skewed, nationalistic propaganda-verse of Gate?

...... you're right. nukes would be out of character.
maybe chemical/biowar agents? they were -really- in vogue in the last period japan was militarised.....
*Officially no

Officially no and in reality no are two very different things.

Could John do an emergency beacon thing and call in reinforcements from the Green Lantern Corps?

IIRC, the Guardians' position is that since the Sheeda are from a future version of Earth, this is an internal conflict (and hence, not something the GLC is supposed to be interfering in).

Hmm. I think both the chinese and the US have some to spare though and probably could be convinced in short order. US because Japan is an ally and the Chinese because its on their doorstep.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back