1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Xenforo - Do you guys want it here?

Discussion in 'Announcements and Rules' started by Vanathor, Nov 23, 2014.

1. RCa

RCa Experienced.

The page numbers thing seems to have started working properly. Probably a bug on my end.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  2. RCa

RCa Experienced.

Looking at the source code, it appears the conversion is turning into   which is where the problem is coming from.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2014
    Ddmkm122 likes this.
  3. Bre Karn

Bre Karn (Very Slow) Writer of Glorious Smut

Is it normal that you can't find your own post history on the profile page?

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  4. Master of Squirrel-fu

Master of Squirrel-fu The Original

Man am I late on this topic, I just looked up and saw this in the new posts section and was all "Wait wut?".

Haven't read through the whole thing yet, and my crippling slothfulness means that I likely won't ever. But if there's one thing I know how to do it's judge things I do not completely understand!

Joking aside my opinion on the subject, for as little as it's probably worth, is negative. Honestly I don't want to see the forum switch. I acknowledge that XF has lots of cool shiny things, and it is in nearly every aspect an upgrade. My dissent is more a matter of Feels than anything, it's been over a year since this forum was started, we had our ups and downs but it was a fun ride and all the little things the good and bad have wormed it's way into my heart. Like a tiny adorable cardiovascular parasite.

I'm the sort of guy that keeps old things, obsolete things because they have sentimental value to me. I kept a tattered old back pack from 6th to 12th grade, I cried when I lost this eraser I had for 4 years because it was with me when I first started to teach myself to draw, and I don't throw away a anything I physically draw and have shitty notes and arts from 10 years ago. It may have just been a year I do place alot of my feels with the forum as it is. It isn't broke and I can't see a reason to replace it, it seems like a betray even if it's just to an inanimate object.

Still I'm pragmatic and reasonable enough to see just how big of an improvement this will be for the community, it is much more efficient and all around a better system to use. I'm sure all the pros and cons on that front have been discussed and hashed out by now though. Still if the vote says to switch I'll accept it, and I'm sure I'll probably eventually start to like the new shiny thing just as much as the old clunker we have now. But at this time I do hope things stay the same.

Now if you'll excuse me I need to go read random fics and completely forget this as my limited attention span switches focus to the newest shiny.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  5. DuskAtDawn

DuskAtDawn Of the Thousand Faces

Looking around, it appears that everyone's 114 years old; the month carried over, but the year and date didn't. That would be less of a problem, but users can't edit their birthdate without mod intervention.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  6. tehelgee

tehelgee The stern gaze of justice. Administrator

Yeah. Birthdays being lost is a known bug. I'll have to manually edit each one after i do the real transfer.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  7. Walkir

Walkir Super Happy Awesome Fun Time On Vacation

Less dark. I'm currently using it.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  8. kinglugia

kinglugia A Randy Avian

Oh my, I suddenly feel old now. Should I keel over and retire from life? :V

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  9. tehelgee

Imagine all the hora you would miss.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  10. Vanathor

Vanathor 『Back In Black』

So what bugs remain on your you need to figure out in order to be able to lockdown the board and start the move?

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  11. Xicree

Xicree Destroy and Rejoice!

Can we get back something at least similar to the 'recent topics' at the top of the page?

That's really really really useful.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  12. tehelgee

I have to wipe the test install, kill that database, lock the forum, export a database backup, reimport the backup into a second database, install Xenforo again, import the SMF database backup into Xenforo's database, then spend a while resetting permissions and such.

It's gonna be hours of work, and a lot of it will just be sitting around and waiting while the server pokes along.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  13. tehelgee

It's something to look into after the forum is up and running. It's a function of the themes we have in SMF. It's not a default feature.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  14. tehelgee

Actually, i went ahead and found one, since I'm mostly waiting til tonight now.

It's on the test forum, if you want to go check it out.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  15. gibbousmoons

gibbousmoons Well worn.

Will you be on irc during the move?

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  16. tehelgee

Wasn't planning to, but I don't see why I couldn't.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  17. Vanathor

Vanathor 『Back In Black』

That would be good. Easy way for you to relay updates and such while the site is down.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  18. gibbousmoons

gibbousmoons Well worn.

that'd be great, to let us know what's going on.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  19. tehelgee

I've been looking into recent posts thingies, like what we have at the top of the page here.

Go to the test forum and see the latest version of what i've done.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  20. alethiophile

alethiophile Shadowed Philosopher Administrator

As I noted on the test forum itself, the current iteration of 'latest posts' takes up far too much screen real estate. You shouldn't have to page down twice to get to the start of the content you actually wanted to see.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  21. tehelgee

There's no tiny version, unfortunately. There is a sidebar version though, which is currently active if you want to check it out.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  22. doomlord9

doomlord9 Experienced.

Still no solutions for Sent PM's being lost or am I just missing it?

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  23. tehelgee

There just isn't one. The system is too different. Sorry.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  24. alethiophile

alethiophile Shadowed Philosopher Administrator

If you have anything really significant, you could always just extract them manually to a document or such before the freeze happens. A pain, but doable.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  25. doomlord9

doomlord9 Experienced.

I already manually backed them up since I only had 30 or so, I'm just wondering about the more prolific authors losing notes and content stored in the PMs. This is all moving rather quickly, not even a week between the idea being suggested and the switch happening, some might not even see it before then.

Maybe keep the SMF forum alive via a link(like the Xenforo test) but with a lock-out on new posts so that people have time to pull what they need from it? Maybe leave it that way for a few months with a notice that the data will be lost when it's shut down at <insert date>.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  26. tehelgee

I'm planning it keep it around for a while, yeah.

But, it won't be accessible except for a real good reason. The server is gonna be redirecting all traffic from questionablequesting.com to a subforum. I'd have to shut off the redirect to access it myself, outside directly going in to the database.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  27. Peanuckle

Peanuckle Versed in the lewd.

Man, it sure looks different around here doesn't it?

Say, how do I set this to wide screen?

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  28. Bre Karn

Bre Karn (Very Slow) Writer of Glorious Smut

Feels awfully sluggish... Am I the only one ?

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  29. Vanathor

Vanathor 『Back In Black』

You're not. The current issue is the board is performing a bunch of one-time operation which are hogging resources such as distributing trophies, people mass-deleting remnant PMs from the SMS board that carried over incorrectly, etc.

Once that is over, we should be broadly fine, and if not then @tehelgee has already stated that upgrading the server size from Personal to Business class is in the cards. But in the meantime we are waiting to see what happens after everything comes down.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  30. touhou ranfuku

touhou ranfuku Versed in the lewd.

So all the respect will be changed into Like?

Ddmkm122 likes this.