• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Dungeon Crawler Quest(Original Fantasy)

+1 Lesser Good Fortune Blessing +2 Amritas, +1 Ether, -1 Common Robe. Total Gilder Spent 110

You consider the jobs available for a a few minutes, Seraphine looking over your shoulder to do the same, while Maya and Anshelm continue chatting quietly. Shimah is looking too, but going by the frown on her face you aren't sure how well she can read the mission notes.

"Hm, well, do you guys want to try this one?" you ask, tugging the mission note for the warg hunt off the board, "It's only for three people, but it is D rank, taking care of some wargs for a farming village," you add the last for the benefit of those not looking.

"Ah, that should be fine." Maya says, looking away from Anshelm. "It sounds reasonable for the first mission we take together."

"Eh, it sounds a little easy, but sure," Anshelm adds, shrugging his shoulders, "We get to beat down some monsters and get paid for it. Good enough for me."

"Protecting such towns and villages is part of our duty, I approve of this." Shimah says.

"I-It's as Miss Shimah says. I don't mind taking care of this," Seraphine murmurs. She's gotten all quiet and shy again, it's really too bad.

Looks like the party is fine with it then, though you suspect Maya is just fine with taking what amounts to a break from dungeon diving. You follow the sudden tugging feeling you get when everyone has accepted into one of the nearby buildings, looks like this is where city funded missions are given out in detail. There are a few dozen clerks behind a big counter divided into sections, many of them occupied discussing mission details with branded of various levels. You glance around, until you see the section labeled with a stylized D. It's honestly a little weird, you can see… is that a golden exclamation mark floating over the heads of the mission clerks? Sometimes the mystic script is weird.

Your group and you find a clerk who isn't occupied easily enough, it looks like there isn't a whole lot of competition for D ranks. You get the details from the harried looking man behind the counter. The village is south of the city, in one of the rare blotches of fertile farmland, it is unfortunately surrounded by forest terrain, hence their problems with beast type monsters. You are given some quick directions, it's simple enough, follow the main trade road until it splits off to the southeast, go through the belt of blue sand desert until you reach an evergreen forest, and just follow the road from there. When he finishes giving instructions, a pane of script pops up for you, and going by their reactions, the rest of your party.

Warg Hunt
Condition: Slay the entire pack of wargs threatening the village. 0% complete
Reward 450 Gilder. Increased [Altkhot] City reputation.
Time remaining: 23:59:56

Well, looks like you're expected to finish this today, so there can't be too many of them. There isn't much to do except get going. Well and grab some things at the shop. You sell your common robe, and make a stop at the Inn to drop off your belt, also picking up two Amritas and an Ether. Everyone else stocks a bit too, though it looks like Sera already did so yesterday. Shimah and Maya also pick up a few lightning vials, the former so that she can be useful with her SP empty, and Maya in case of enemies that make melee untenable.

Setting out south, things pass peacefully enough at first, you spend the time chatting with Sera, listening to her tell her story about yesterday's events. Everyone congratulates her on a good victory by the time she's done, something that makes her blush and fidget under the attention. The main road is kept clear by constant work from higher level branded…. Those kind of missions were all C rank and above you note. Once you split off onto the smaller road though, conversation quiets and you all start paying much more attention to your surroundings.

It's a good thing too, as you pass under the boughs of the evergreen forest that surrounds the village, you hear a twig snap. Shimah does the same and you both call a warning just in time as a band of goblins emerge from the trees. There are six goblin warriors, showing as level three, and coming behind them is a pair of similarly leveled shamans. Behind even them is a taller goblin with a bow, and a comic facsimile of a rangers outfit. It shows as a Goblin Champion level five, less health than even a lesser ogre though.

Anshelm's challenge pulls them in, and your ice slows the melee, even as Maya vanishes. Seraphine scorches a quarter of the champions life off with her fires in the first moments. Then the goblins strike back. Their melee does very little damage to Anshelm admittedly, but the fact that they can damage him at all shows them to be stronger than the last goblins you faced. The champion's SP drains and you have to duck under an arrow when the thing's shot split in two on firing, one aimed at Anshelm, the other at you.

The shaman's are just casting their own spells when Maya very nearly guts one in a single hit. The second still hits Anshelm of course, but the damage isn't too bad, Shimah heals him afterwards.
Then you feel a sharp pain in your side, and a spreading burning sensation, followed by squeaky goblin laughter. The hell. Where did that thing come from? There's another goblin right at your back, labeled as a 'skulker' with a nasty looking pair of bright green daggers, it's level five too, and apparently poisons on hit, going by your health draining.

You answer with a blast of cold, and feel Shimah's healing cleansing the poison from your system, right around the time the skulker's face bursts into flames under Sera's concentrated fire. Good riddance, monsters should not be able to do Maya's thing, that's some complete bullshit.

Anshelm took a little damage during the distraction, but both shamans are down now, and Anshelm has already killed two of the goblin warriors. The rest don't take long.

You kick the dead skulker as it fades away into smoke, "Stupid thing." You grumble.

You glance up and see your lost health refilling, and glance over to Shimah who's talisman is held out in your direction. You nod in thanks.

Seraphine glances at the hexer, looking conflicted. "Are you alright, Al?"

"I'm fine, I'm fine. I've taken worse hits than that." you say easily. The rewards pane pops up as you speak, surprising you. Wandering encounters must give their experience right away.

Congratulations!
You have gained.
8 Experience
1JP
9 Gilder

The party has looted.
2 potions
[Skulker's Shivs] Finely crafted (for goblins) bone knives impregnated with a strong poison. High chance of critical and poison.

"My, it's about time something decent dropped for me," Maya says cheerfully. "I trust no one objects to my taking the knives."

"Course not," you respond, and the others give similar responses, at least something good came of this. Anshelm takes the potions for now, they can always be split up later after all, and he has the most slots for carrying that kind of stuff. No one has had to use any consumables yet after all.

You reach the town shortly thereafter. It's about what you would expect from a satellite village. Compact and hidden behind walls shaped by earth magic. The fields are by necessity outside, but even those are fenced heavily with sturdy wood topped with barbed wire. You can see the section where the wargs broke through the fencing, well several places really.

You wander in to odd looks and hushed whispers, branded are way less common out in the boonies after all, missions like this are the only reason any of you really come out here. You elect to just let Maya do the talking here, it's her thing after all. Finding the villages head isn't hard, especially when he comes out to meet you. He's pretty elderly for someone living outside a City, looks like he must be in his fifties going by the gray hair and wrinkles.

"Are you the ones the city sent to take care of this?" he asks warily, it's too his credit that he doesn't look as skeptical as some of the villagers did on your way in. He must be aware that for branded appearances not only deceive, they outright lie.

"We are," Maya responds cheerfully, "We'll be taking care of it. Is there any information you can give us to get started with?"

"Certainly," he says, "Our hunters tracked them going to the east. We think their den is near or in the old hollowed out oak. There was a dungeon there once, but it was cleared a few years ago. If you look that way you should be able to see it above the treeline."

You raise your hand to shield your eyes and look to the east, sure enough the crown of a massive tree towers over the others, looks fairly far away though.

"Mm, I see, when do the wargs usually come?" Maya asks, she has a calculating look in her eye.

"Hmm, well usually in the early afternoon and at night, we've been getting raided twice a day on occasion," the villages elder responds, "There are usually at least a dozen of them, if that helps, some are bigger than others, but I can hardly tell you what that means beyond the obvious."

"Of course. Thank you, sir," Maya says, she glances back to you and speaks up again, "I'm thinking we can ambush them when they come to raid, then hit the lair, just in case there are many more than are raiding at a time. We could just assault their lair, but it would probably be more dangerous, faster for us though."

Anshelm speaks up, "It's just wargs, we can handle this no problem, lets just wipe 'em out."

"Caution would be best, as Maya says, there could very well be a large number of them," Shimah adds. Seraphine is just looking to you, what do you want to do?

[]Wait and ambush, then clear the lair.
[]Full frontal assault, crush 'em in one go.
--[]Any other information you'd like to ask for first?

Al Lv2
Ice Elementalist D
Health 53/55
SP 55/61

Maya Lv4
Dual Blade Hunter D
Health 58/58
Sp 30/33

Anshelm Lv3
Spear Warrior D
Health 125/133
SP 28/31

Shimah Lv2
Hexer Cleric E
Health 66/66
SP 65/71

Seraphine Lv2
Fire Elementalist E
Health 44/44
Sp 49/55

((Mah, short update, but the trip to the village ended up being pretty peaceful. Ah well.))

Last edited:
[X]Full frontal assault, crush 'em in one go.
-[X] Ask them if they've seen any Wargs that are larger then normal.
-[X] You and Anshelm take point, with you slowing down and freezing as many as you can, allowing you and Anshelm to kite them while Maya, Sara, and Shimah focus or 2 wolves at a time. If a boss appears, close ranks and keep it distracted until the lessers finished then go full bore with everything left.

Last edited:
Oh and Gross asked about Seraphine's appearance. Yeah, frizzy hair is pretty accurate. She tries hard, but it just won't stay straight. Color is on the lighter side of blue, if you're familiar with the Lunar games at all, think the main heroine's color. Something like this.

Oh and Gross asked about Seraphine's appearance. Yeah, frizzy hair is pretty accurate. She tries hard, but it just won't stay straight. Color is on the lighter side of blue, if you're familiar with the Lunar games at all, think the main heroine's color. Something like this.
Blue flames burn hot!

That makes it a total of 50% uncommon items dropped now. I wonder if we'll see the next type soon. Now for the battle. I'm fully expecting a Den Mother and an Alpha Warg.

-[X] You and Anshelm take point, with you slowing down and freezing as many as you can, allowing you and Anshelm to kite them while Maya, Sara, and Shimah focus or 2 wolves at a time. If a boss appears, close ranks and keep it distracted until the lessers finished then go full bore with everything left.

[X] Wait and ambush, then clear the lair.

Last edited:
Mmmh, not seeing a clear-cut better choice between the two, so might as well go with the flow:

Something to keep in mind though is they probably have invisible scout around, so Al and Maya should be on the lookout for those. It seems our perception isn't quite good enough to see higher-levelled stealthed enemies (or we were just unlucky), but we should still be able to catch most of them given we can 'detect' Maya.

Last edited:
They already told us that some of the wargs are bigger than the others.

There's not much reason not to do this right, travel time pretty much takes up most of the mission time anyway.

+waggles hands+

Attacking now will certainly meet more than a dozen Wargs, not to mention if the twin attacks meant that there is a rotating schedule. At the minimum there is a dozen Wargs, at most three dozens (1 early afternoon, 1 night, 1 to rest and guard the den), including/excluding any special Wargs, in their home territory.

Wait for ambush means that we stagger the encounters, and fight a dozen Wargs each raid (if there is two) in a (slightly) defended area, before going to clear the den. This runs on the possibility of the Wargs in the den choosing to leave, or fighting in the den during midnight, as well as the chance of meeting night (or dawn) encounters if we choose to return immediately after (in case the Mission have to be completed to the clerk back home).

EDIT: What I meant to say, both have their own problems.

Last edited:
Well, seems like it grew divided while i was alseep.

Mmmh, now that i think about it "Wait and Ambush" also gives us the appreciable ability to have deliminated "rooms" for the encounters, as well as the ability to run if it proves too dangerous (it's much harder to run when there are dozens of enemies than when we just finished a fight and realize we overspent on healing items).

Hell, the 'rewards' being straggled over time means we will probably gain potions as fast as we gain them, and we will also likely get Ice Magic/Stave D-rank (new spells?)- the same being true of Anshelm/Sera/Shimah possibly, opening up our capabilities for the den.

So, huh, better information as well as capabilities may make ambush more cautious, even though we shouldbe /very/ careful of stealthed enemies, and we should also be careful to be in places where we won't be overrun by wargs in open terrain.

-[X]Knowing where they are likely to appear, choose an interception point where you cannot be overrun easily nor seen from afar.
-[X]Use Maya has a scout who will watch out for incoming Wargs and stealthed enemies (make sure yourself you look for stealthed enemies without leaving the hidden spot), and begin the strike with Al attempting to freeze the enemies and Maya attempting to crit strike the enemy leader.
-[X] From then on, the usual mop-up: Anshelm will challenge and keep the non-frozen enmies to him, Sera will deal damage, and you yourself will slow the enemies trying to break through your ambush while Shimah heal/hex as needed.

Last edited:
+puts on devil's advocate tag+

Now, the problem with Wait and Ambush is that there is a time limit for this Mission. Waiting till afternoon and night before going into the den also has another problem, namely fighting in the dark and fighting night encounters before and after going into the den.

Just re-iterating. To make things more confusing.

. . . Sorry.

[X] Plan Tanuki

To be clear, you would be ambushing the afternoon raid, not waiting for the night one too.

...unless you want to, I mean, you can, but the woods are scary at night.

Waiting to ambush will likely reduce their numbers... but increase their readiness to fight us. Leaving the battle HARDER since they'll be able to focus the right targets easier.
Instead Full frontal means we basically shock and awe them, leaving them no real ability to coordinate because of how immediate the situation is.

Also more likely to get the better Loot, and less likely to miss out on any bonus things we could get from this.

... And like Yrs just said... the Woods are scary at night. I.e. Extra unforseen encounters are Highly possible.

Well you can all consider it for awhile. Some issues have cut writing time short. Probably not going to get an update out before Christmas now. My apologies, wanted to get one more out before getting swept up in holiday stuff.

Wargs aren't that smart. I doubt they have a courier line going or anything.

Wargs are pack based. The bigger the pack the more trouble, likely. That said there isn't anything saying we can't lure some out of the den and murderface before rapidly advancing for the rest.

Waiting to ambush will likely reduce their numbers... but increase their readiness to fight us. Leaving the battle HARDER since they'll be able to focus the right targets easier.
How would it increase their readiness? Only reason i could see is if enough of them escape our ambush to escape back to the den before we can arrive there.

Beside, it's not like the den wouldn't have scouts if they have any readiness to speak of.

Instead Full frontal means we basically shock and awe them, leaving them no real ability to coordinate because of how immediate the situation is.
...How does that work? I mean, even if they don't have any home terrain advantage at all, either they are in a big networked den and can easily prepare while they give us a chokepoint, or they are in big rooms where they can swarm us from all sides and play on their bigger numbers.

Also more likely to get the better Loot, and less likely to miss out on any bonus things we could get from this.
We don't really know how Loot works, as far as i can tell.

... And like Yrs just said... the Woods are scary at night. I.e. Extra unforseen encounters are Highly possible.
Which is why we ambush them in the afternoon and attack them before night, as Yrs said. Beside, you are the one wanting extra bonus :p

If we ambush them, we're fighting on our terms, fight smaller groups of numbers making it easier to control the fight, and it makes use of their surprise.

If we attack them head on, they'll see us coming ahead of time, they'll have greater numbers, and the fight will be on their home ground.

And I want to ambush them in the afternoon and then head for their base after we win, healing as needed on the way.

Guys? They're monsters created via weird magic. They are not sapient beings as far as I can tell. I really doubt we need to worry about complex plans or preperations.

How the hell do you expect them to prepare or put together that fairly abstract line of reasoning?

Depends. Some monsters are real world problems, as like mentioned before, some monsters can choose to leave their respective Dungeons and terrorize the non-Branded.

Now, does that turn the monsters real? Can they breed? Will the bodies of monsters defeated by non-Branded stay around?

+shrugs+

At any rate, the monsters can utilize tactics, and real life wolves have pretty good coordination. It is unclear how far above wolves are the Wargs though.

It's less choosing to leave, and more 'being spawned'. For the most part monsters just mindlessly attack any non-monsters they happen upon. They can be capable of tactics and planning depending on the type of monster, but will always choose attacking non-monsters even over self preservation.

That said if monsters outside of high ranked dungeons are seen actively behaving in an intelligent sapient fashion, please inform the city, it's often the only warning given when a new Dark Lord/Demon King/Ancient Dragon/Insert Final Boss Here is emerging.

-some common monster knowledge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back