1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Styling requests

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Bugs' started by alethiophile, Nov 28, 2014.

1. alethiophile

alethiophile Shadowed Philosopher Administrator

In our illustrious new home on the XenForo, the tech infrastructure is sound, but the rendering occasionally leaves a little to be desired.

Thus, Vanathor and I have been appointed the Imperial Stylists, here to make the forum's appearance faithfully reflect the true awesomeness underneath. Not every problem in appearance or function can be ameliorated by altering styles, but the majority can. It is our charge to make such alterations, to resolve and make harmless the travails of the userbase. Such do we seek to realize.

Hereunder, kindly report any difficulties or infelicities associated with the forum styles, or requests for adjustment to same. In any request, please include the name of the style in use, accessible by viewing the 'Preferences' screen under the user control menu. We will respond to such requests at our earliest capability.

2. Vanathor

Vanathor 『Back In Black』

Uh. Basically what @alethiophile said. We are here to help, and anything that makes your user experience better as far as forum skins and such go, we will try to do.

Ddmkm122 and Valette-Serafina like this.
  3. dalmedya

dalmedya (unspecified)

Recent.
    Posts.
    Box Monolith.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  4. Nuit

Nuit L'immortale Capo

For the Flexile Dark style I wouldn't mind having quotes look like this.

[​IMG]

Code:
    /* Quotes */
    .bbCodeBlock {width: 100%;}
    .bbCodeQuote .quoteContainer .quoteExpand {color: #999;background: linear-gradient(to bottom,rgba(27,39,53,0) 0%,rgb(18, 18, 18) 80%);}
    .bbCodeQuote .attribution {background: #393939;border-color: #646464;}
    .bbCodeQuote .quoteContainer {background: #1E1F20;}
    .bbCodeQuote {border-color: #393939;}

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  5. tehelgee

tehelgee The stern gaze of justice. Administrator

That's not part of styles. That's an add-on.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  6. alethiophile

Changes made to Flexile Dark, including recolored quote boxes, correct logo and non-generic header text.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  7. nick012000

nick012000 Gone for Good

Has anyone else not had the DNS changes propogate for them yet? I'm still having to use the IP address directly.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  8. alethiophile

This has been noticed. It will end up depending on what DNS you're using, which varies per ISP. Given an extra 24 hours, it should come around.

Also, technically not related to styling, which is the ostensible purpose of this thread.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  9. Nuit

Nuit L'immortale Capo

Also here are some more tweaks for errors that always seem to pop up with Flexile Dark.
    Code:
    #QuickSearchQuery {color:black;}
    .xenOverlay .formOverlay .textCtrl {color:white;}
    Both of these change the text color, the former being the search bar above and the latter being the form that pops up when you insert an Image, Video or name a Spoiler among others.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  10. macdjord

macdjord Well worn.

I like the element design and color scheme of Flexile Dark and Dark Responsive, but I don't like the way they omit the user stats (post count, likes, gender, location, etc.) that's supposed to be under the username.

For the Blackend themes, can you make the background colour of the quote/code/etc. boxes a few shades darker? There's not enough contrast between it and the default text colour.
    Also, the colour scheme of the plain-text editor is a black-on-off-white combination that doesn't fit at all with the light-on-dark theme of the rest of the style.

Finally, I'm not sure if this is a styling issue or not, but could we get a proper generic reply button at the bottom of the thread? Right now, the only way to open the standalone compose-reply page without quoting anything is by hitting the 'more options' button under the quick-reply editor, and since that's a form button rather than a proper link, it can't be opened in a new tab.

11. doomlord9

doomlord9 Experienced.

I do agree with this, at least post count and likes should be shown. Not really for any functional reason, it just feels like the avatars are naked without them.

Fitting considering the forum but it feels weird every time I glance at the avatar to quick-check who the poster is.

Ddmkm122 and Valette-Serafina like this.
  12. doomlord9

doomlord9 Experienced.

Oh hell, I don't know why I didn't see this before, I spotted the exact same thing on SV as it was starting up within an hour.

Using Flexile Dark, the background for the boxes to input links or images combined with the text color makes them almost impossible to read.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  13. Ampersandwich

Ampersandwich Outl&ish Gr& Panj&rum

In ".messageText" and ".previewTooltip blockquote", in all themes except Hydrogen and Nitrogen, there are the following lines:
    Code:
    font-size: 11pt;
    font-family: Georgia, "Times New Roman", Times, serif;
    line-height: 1.4;

I'd like them to be removed without replacement. (Preferably in all of those themes, but if there are actually people who like serif fonts, then pick one and let me know so I can switch to it.)

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  14. alethiophile

Sans-serif fonts have been made default in both the Dark Responsive and Flexile Dark themes.

The problem with form elements under Flexile Dark is known, but its solution has not yet been ascertained. Work is continuing.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  15. macdjord

macdjord Well worn.

What about improving the contrast in quote boxes for Blackened?

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  16. alethiophile

Blackend now has darker-backgrounded quote boxes and sans-serif font.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  17. macdjord

macdjord Well worn.

Can you change the font back, please? Serif is much easier to read.
    Also, code and spoiler boxes boxes still use the old background colour. There might be other elements that do so too. I suggest searching the style definition for all uses of that colour code as a background.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  18. alethiophile

Searching the style definition isn't so simple. Modifying styles here isn't a matter of typing CSS; it requires dealing with XF's 'style properties' setup, which is nice in some ways but requires clicking through every individual pane in about two hundred of them to be sure you've found every use of some given thing.

I'll leave Blackend in serif and Responsive and Flexile in sans, for now. Ought to have some option for most preferences.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  19. macdjord

macdjord Well worn.

The new quote boxes are no longer unreadable, but they're still a bit low-contrast. Darkening the background any more would make it hard to distinguish quotes from regular text, but could you maybe lighten the default text colour a tad?
    Also, can you get rid of the all-italics thing for the quotes? It conceals the deliberate use of italics for emphasis in the text.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  20. Selias

Selias Well worn.

The text color in things like the link insertion's URL box, and the drop-down menu for your time zone and style are way too dark, in Flexile Dark. Reading dark gray text on a navy blue background is pretty difficult. Can you change it to something brighter?

EDIT: Oh, doomlord9 already mentioned that.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  21. Nuit

Nuit L'immortale Capo

I know it's not the most elegant solution but you can plug this into EXTRA.css
    Appearance > Styles > Flexile Dark > Templates > EXTRA.css

Last edited: Dec 4, 2014
    Ddmkm122 and alethiophile like this.
  22. alethiophile

Quite possibly. I'll look that over to see if I can't find anything better.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  23. alethiophile

The new style 'Light Responsive' is now live and is the default. For those who need it, there is a link to the QQ IRC channel at the top with the navigation links.

Any issues with this should be reported, as per usual.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  24. Ampersandwich

Ampersandwich Outl&ish Gr& Panj&rum

The inline link color for both Light Responsive and Dark Responsive (Green) is a little too subtle for me; I find it easy to miss that it's a link at all.

Under Light Responsive, hovered links get a black background; this is somewhat jarring. (Oddly, Dark Responsive's white background for hovered links feels relatively normal.)

The default text size for the Responsives/Flexile feels too big, especially compared to SB/SV/old!QQ; stepping down to 10pt or 13px feels much more comfortable. (For future reference: old!QQ was font: 12px/1.5em "Verdana", "Arial", "Helvetica", sans-serif;.)

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  25. alethiophile

Okay, the Responsives have had link color changed; Light now has underlining instead of backgrounds; Responsives have text size stepped down to 10pt.

26. macdjord

macdjord Well worn.

Can you change Darkened so that stuff in a quote box isn't automatically italicized?

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  27. alethiophile

Yes.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  28. Selias

Selias Well worn.

Darkened Responsive quick-reply buttons are a bit weird-looking, now. They weren't like that, a few hours ago.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  29. dalmedya

dalmedya (unspecified)

The quickbar-type thing up in the top right is dumb. When you've got a new message or alert and hover 'inbox'/'alerts', the width of the 'button' changes when the counter vanishes. Which means if you were near the left edge, the cursor gets dropped onto the next thing over, and you have to move it again to get back to the shit you actually wanted. Fixed width would be nice.
    HUGE BUTTONS MUST PRESS.
    Also, the 'insert qoutes', 'post reply' and 'more options...' buttons are hard to see. Grey-blue text on grey-green buttons on grey-grey background is not good. Needs a little more contrast.
    Yes I know I originally complained they were too bright, you fixed them too much.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  30. GiftofLove

GiftofLove A Gift From The Heart

Nitrogen's reply box is a complete mess now. It's huge, the buttons are jumbo sized, and everything is steel grey. The font is almost impossible to see on the text box background because of its color.

Though the word count feature is neat.

Ddmkm122 likes this.