1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. NullVoid

NullVoid Getting out there.

State for war? If it's "the way things were before the war", it's status quo ante bellum or status quo ante for short.

WhiteNoise, DrThoth and Chaoswind like this.
  2. Enochi

Enochi Having way to much fun with AI.

Hmm. Kinda hope Zatanna only SAYS she is giving up. Funny thing would be her somehow contacting Ophidian and getting the best snek on her side. I have a feeling the Ophi would be of the opinion more is better.

3. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Enochi, Vorian and DAT_NOOB like this.
  4. Valint

Valint I trust you know where the happy button is?

Yeah, but Paul only got to this point by willfully blinding himself to what was going on.

Let me be clear: You don't have to give any reason to turn someone down. "I don't want to go out with you" or just "No" are completely and utterly acceptable.

But... if you are going to give a reason, giving a bullshit reason doesn't do anyone any favors. "We can't date because it wouldn't be appropriate" is all but saying that you want to date them, but they just have this obstacle they need to overcome, and his insistence on pretending to be a different age than he internally identifies as makes his reason seem even more bullshit to her than it does to him.

He has empathic vision. He could see that when, for example, he just wanted to help her relax... by going into her bedroom right before she went to sleep, sitting behind her to brush her hair to get her used to being touched by him, and then giving her a massage, that her acceptance of all of this was tinged with violet light.

I mean, he literally knows how the "you're too young for me, this is just a schoolgirl crush" storyline ends just with green light, and he basically just buried his head in the sand about any potential issues with her mainlining violet light.

So, yeah, really shitty position for Paul to be in, but--as with his not coming clean about what age he considers himself--it's a position that doesn't become better the later you have to bite the bullet.

5. PDV

PDV Revelation That Uncertainty Is Itself An Answer

Technically true, but in practice, "completely and utterly acceptable" does not mean "will not cause hard feelings". It is inherently difficult to refuse to escalate a relationship without damaging the relationship which was already present.

Prince Charon, Vorian, Ardy and 3 others like this.
  6. Siskulous

Siskulous Know what you're doing yet?

You're not wrong, about any of that. He was trying not to hurt her, so he had the best of intentions, but he utterly failed. And now the position he finds himself in is a pretty shitty one.

Being rejected hurts. Simple as that. Nothing changes it unless the person being rejected can fool themselves into thinking it's not REALLY a rejection, which seems to be what Zatanna has done. Granted Paul left that possibility open for her. And if you hurt someone, right or wrong, they're probably gonna be mad at you.

WhiteNoise and Prince Charon like this.
  7. Maxx Crowley

Maxx Crowley I trust you know where the happy button is?

I honestly don't care about Zatanna having a crush or deep feelings or whatever. I didn't get the boy in Junior high, I didn't get the boy in High school, and I didn't get the other boy after graduation.

So she can get the fuck over it. No sympathy if she goes all weepy girl over being entitled to OL or whatever because girl reasons.

Beyond that, I'm saddened that she's probably about to lose her staff of powerup.

8. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

well paul has become less human over time after initially trying to keep his humanity, as he cut out the more human parts of his life slowly (when was the last time he visited holly? or any 'normal' person), while grayven became more human over time as he didn't make any effort to keep his humanity initially but has clawed it back afterwards, as he accepted the more human parts of his life (his acceptance of his daughter, bringing his mother into his life, getting involved in that school and recovering from the anti-life)

Personally I find the reflection the paul and grayven are of each other to be the best part of both stories (while I find grayven more enjoyable I see how while grayven started out trying to be a cold blooded killer and became more human afterward as a necessity, paul started out trying to be human and became a cold blooded killer afterward out of the same necessity)

9. DAT_NOOB

or maybe he subconsciously recognized that zatanna would be stronger if she was in love with him thus increasing their chances against Nabu.

(sorry for the double post I don't know how to quote more than on person.)

10. CTrees

CTrees Chasing the ring

Just hit the reply button at the bottom of each post (or select the section to quote, then use that reply button). The forum will just stack the quoted sections, one after the other, and you can insert love breaks and type your responses between them.

There's also the multiquote option, but... I haven't had cause to figure out how to use that one.

DAT_NOOB likes this.
  11. Aeess

Aeess I trust you know where the happy button is?

Has Zatanna actually started to worship Aphrodite like she planned to? Because if she did then Paul should ask her for advice and if she could talk to Zatanna about it.

WhiteNoise likes this.
  12. Maxx Crowley

Maxx Crowley I trust you know where the happy button is?

But that might mean that the Silver city's massive dick move might have had some wider consequences for them.

Ardy likes this.
  13. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Sadly I keep liking Oh El less and less since he had the brilliant idea to revive people.

Is like he forgot how that would lead to trouble based on what he knew of DC.

Ardy and Chaoswind like this.
  14. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Multi-quote is actually easier than normal reply.

If you want to quote the whole post, click the "+ Quote" link between "Like" and "Reply". But I rarely want to quote the whole post, so to get just the part you want to reply to, highlight the text you want to quote and it'll pop open a little box that says "+ Quote | Reply". Click on "+ Quote" in there.

You can do this as many times as you want. If you've done this with at least one quote, an "Insert Quotes..." button will appear below the Quick Reply box at the bottom of the page. Click this button and it'll let you rearrange (by dragging) or remove (with the "Remove" link) anything you've quoted, and then you can click "Quote These Messages" to insert them into the quick reply box.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2019
    Prince Charon and Vorian like this.
  15. V01D

V01D Autistic lover of LOLz

So... the Star Saphire holds the Predator (Violet Entity)?

16. Threadmarks: Hoard (part 23)
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

13th January
    08:08 GMT -5

I walk up the path to Shadowcrest. If Zatanna's not up by-.

Incoming communication.

I take a holoprojector out of subspace. Answer.

Jade appears, dressed in a Darkstar exo-mantle. She looks calmly at me as I smile.

"Sorry, I'm not.. dragging you away from anything important, am I?"

That gets a minor eye-roll and a head-shake. "As strange as it sounds, I actually like hearing from you. What's going on?"

"Are you..? Getting on alright with the other recruits?"

She turns the camera at her end a little to the side, and a mauve-skinned humanoid in a Darkstar uniform performs a sort of double-fisted salute. I raise my right hand in a wave.

"We're tutoring each other."

"Not having any… Problems?"

"None I can't manage." Ah, how do I-? "A few have commented on my relationship with you, but they're mostly… Curious."

"Without wishing to intervene in your new career-."

"I survived Dad. I can survive a hazing." Her eyes narrow slightly. "What are you calling about?"

"There was an incident with Zatanna."

She blinks. "Someone mind controlled her into finally coming onto you."

"A dragon, yes. I wasn't-. To be clear, we weren't ever-."

"You weren't ever dating, you think she's too young for you and the only reason why you spent so much time with her was because of Nabu."

I nod.

"And it appears that the Star Sapphire was talking to her. I.. called you because.. I think this is the sort of thing I should keep you informed about."

"From what Artemis said, I should be more worried about you hitting on my Mom."

"Yes-." She smiles smugly. "By which I mean-."

"She's an adult, and Zatanna isn't. I don't actually think that you're going.. cougar-hunting."

I smile. "And I mean no disrespect to your mother when I say that. Because if I was-."

"I'm sure she'd be relieved to know that she was your first choice."

"If she doesn't know already. I mean, I go jogging with her and Artemis most mornings now, and her-."

Her face loses the air of humour. "Getting awkward."

"Sorry." One of the great things about communicating like this is that empathic vision doesn't work and I'm forced to respond to outward cues like a normal person. "So I'm going to go and tell a hero-besotted teenaged girl who's been under the influence of a mind control dragon and a mind control alien love crystal that it is never going to happen."

"Would you?"

I frown. "Would I what?"

"Before we got together. If she was older."

"If she was older, I doubt that she'd have become quite so dependent. But… Maybe?" I shake my head. "No, not while we were still working on Nabu. And the Star Sapphire would have made me uncomfortable about it. Maybe afterwards?" I frown. "Wwwwwwwhy?"

"Just curious."

"If you want to know about all of the women I struck out with before-."

"Like my ex-landlords?"

"I didn't 'strike out' with them. I politely declined." I shake my head. "Anyway, that was what I wanted to tell you. And that I miss you. And that I love you."

She smiles faintly, her head bowing slightly. "I love you too." She glances off to the side. "There's a rumour going around that Orange Lanterns aren't allowed to feel love."

"A rumour, or do I need to talk to Dox?"

"Just a rumour."

"Good, because it's stupid, but not so stupid that I couldn't see him doing it. Orange constructs are given strength by avarice. By want and need and desire. Intense impulses of love disrupt that, but I doubt that it would come up much in combat."

She raises her eyebrows, smiling faintly. "You're saying I make you weak?"

"It's not a problem for enlightened Lanterns, as I'm sure that you and Tora are glad to hear." I glance at the door. Nice as it would be to put that off, it needs to be done. "Jade, I need-."

She nods. "Go. I'll talk to you later."

I nod, and return the hologram projector to subspace. Then I sigh, and walk up the path to the front door. I raise my right hand and knock twice on the door. A few moments pass, then Giovanni opens it and then steps back.

"She's in the living room. I will leave you alone."

"Thank you."

He nods, and I head further into the house. Zatanna looks up as I walk into the living room and then looks away, her hands on her knees balling into fists as she sees me.

"Zatanna-."

"I'm-. I'm sorry I tried to mind control you." She's cringing. I hate seeing her like that. "And-."

"Zatanna." She looks up again, her eyes watering. "I don't care about that. But I do care about the fact that I haven't been clear enough, and it's having an adverse effect on you. You are my friend. I like you. I do not love you. I love Jade." She nods jerkily. "And that isn't. Going. To change. Am I being completely clear about this?"

"Y-yes."

It would be nice to apologise for being this hard on her. But at this point I can't risk saying anything that moderates the point I'm making.

"And I'm going to be avoiding you for a while. Not because I hate you, but because this isn't healthy for you. And the Star Sapphire is going in a very secure place."

Another jerky nod, her head remaining bowed as she sniffs.

And I turn around and leave the building.

Last edited: May 26, 2021
  17. Flux Casey

Flux Casey The Colonel

And so, another ship sinks. Tragedy upon tragedy.

But hey! Spider Queen! Still in the game, am I right?!

18. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

I'm guessing he left a message earlier for her to call him back.

That's... understating it quite a bit. :)

Wow, pretty genre-savvy.

I like you. I do not love you.

Ouch. Hopefully, she can deal with this. Hopefully her friends can commiserate over ice cream. Otherwise things might get awkward down the line...

Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
  19. PrinceJonathan

PrinceJonathan Versed in the lewd.

I once saw a hentai where a guy was fucking a hot sexy spider monstergirl...she ended up eating him in the end.

20. Sceptic

Sceptic Critical Irrationalist

Was there ever a chance of things not getting awkward down the line? This is Paul we're talking about, after all.

21. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.

22. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

I still prefer the In Praise of Eros version of the Paul-Zatanna relationship denial, even though we haven't seen the total fallout from that yet, just because of the honesty. However, I think this works too, and hopefully her friends and family can help her gain her figurative and literal mojo back.
    Besides the emotional fallout, she's down to regular levels of magic/mana expenditure now, so I'm curious if she's going to try securing an alternate, less dangerous magical power source at some point. I also wonder if we'll see if there's more to the talking Star Sapphire plot thread in the future (I'm curious about how it bypassed the bindings that a number of fairly skilled thaumaturgists and practitioners signed off on- usually magic trumps Glow-technology in this setting, not the other way around), possibly when he manages to successfully meet the Zamarons.

Relyt33 and Ardy like this.
  23. Gh055twr1t3r

Gh055twr1t3r Idle Prophet

Ah fuck, I remember that one. Fun stuff.

Man, I wonder if they'll ever end up using the Star Sapphire again? It was a pretty good power-up for Zatanna, but I guess the downsides were too much to ignore. Hopefully it pops up again later in the story.

24. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Or... You could just return it to the Zamarons.

25. w34v3r

w34v3r Versed in the lewd.

Well I suppose the important questions are: 1.) Was the sex good enough to warrant it? and 2.) Did his DNA/Essence contribute traits to her spawn?

If Yes to both then it was probably worth it.

Bramble Thorn and DrThoth like this.
  26. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

No. The tragedy is that he killed the real ship in a couple of words, in an aside, in the eros thread.

Relyt33 likes this.
  27. Sceptic

Sceptic Critical Irrationalist

Comedy.

28. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey I trust you know where the happy button is?

I still ship her with Cornwall Boy. Imagine the mojo their kids would have.

Obliviated fan, DrThoth, Ardy and 4 others like this.
  29. DAT_NOOB

Yeah... but spider queen is less likely to go psycho insane in love with Paul, which is always less fun.

RichardWhereat likes this.
  30. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Those don't exactly have a good track record with it either.

Poor Zatanna though :( I get why he did it that way but it was still harsh.