1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Exalted 3E Discussion

Discussion in 'General' started by Smuthunter, Feb 4, 2015.

1. Jarudazuigu

Jarudazuigu Sealed, for now

Exalted crafting became ... a mini-game on it's own, to name it politely, and a raging fuck-you to those who read Sorcerous Workings first and hoped that Crafting is similiar.
    Starting with charm-bloat and ending with 4 extra "crafting XP" charts to pay attention to? Something like that, complicated like 2ed Fair Folk rules.

Not-Exalts, namely mortals, are scenery because they were robbed of every value they had as heroes(basically named characters that aren't Extras), thaumaturges (because thaumaturgy becomes a random mutation-in-all-but-name) and martial artists (no, Joe isn't Karate Kid anymore ... at best he can be a tavern thug to be beat up by someone, since Martial Arts can't be used by scrubs without Essence).

Wwind, Teln, Sol Mark-1 and 4 others like this.
  2. Accelerator

Accelerator Versed in the lewd.

Oh. That's horrible.

I think I should try and modify thaumaturgy system...

3. mrttao

mrttao Gone for Good

Weren't mortals trained (tiger warrior method) and led by an exalt a genuine threat though?

4. Sydonai

Sydonai Versed in the lewd.

Highly resistant, explicitly not immune.
    "A shame, that" can sum up a lot of things in 3E.
    Worse than that.
    Some beings, like Lunars, can pretty easily hand out specific Mutations like candy.
    3E Thaumaturgy is "a unique and unrepeatable miracle" IE a pile of feculent garbage.

5. Jarudazuigu

Jarudazuigu Sealed, for now

Sydonai , wich makes gods of Creation into mistakes. Because their role is to bodyguard pieces of Creation, so it doesn't melt by itself back into Pure Chaos. So Speshul Sowflake Miracles ... mean that gods were doing their jobs so bad that it is a real miracle Creation hadn't exploded yet from simple botched maintenance.

The not-Extras? Yes, those dudes could roll dice and stunt/spend Willpower. Tiger Warrior Method is ... basically a blantant training montage, people could get this good without Exalted interferences.
    They could, when twinked to the limit, try facing against an Exalt and with excellent rolls may out-perform the *yawn*Excellecy*nani?! I lost and got gutted? By a mortal warrior, WTF I'mma mighty begginer Solar Sorcerer with minimum dots in combat ... shiet!* banquet.

But like I said, Exalted have hundred and six ways to dictate variables of luck and probability trough Excellencies. Mortal dude have only his dicepool and some cheats like Essence+MAs or Thaumaturgy preparedness. But this is what Realm's majority of Immaculate Master-Assistants are, aka mortals who train in TMAs, who assist in beating up uppity godlings and spirits of Blessed Isle.

Of course Solars can both mindrape them, with frightening ease that even Fair Folk infamous from their mindrapey ways don't have, and produce heroic mortals on demand. Wich I both dislike and see as cheap shit. But what can I say? That's Solar laziness for ya.

Ruy likes this.
  6. evildice

evildice (emotionally stable clown posse)

I mean if the Primordials had done their jobs as creators then nobody would have rebelled, or at least not done so successfully.

If the Solars had done their second jobs (appointed with no retraining budget), then nobody would have betrayed and slaughtered them, removing an irreplaceable maintenance component.

If the Exalts as a whole had been kind or at least non-murderous to their benefactor Auto-kun, then the maintenance component wouldn't have been irreplaceable.

If the Sidereals as a whole had done their jobs better, then various dooms that were slated to befall Creation -- starting with the Usurpation -- could have been handled in a less catastrophic manner, potentially including some kind of careful cultivation of reborn Solars instead of locking their exaltations away. Having friendly Solars around would mean no lack of that key maintenance component.

The gods of creation have a lot of company in their fallibility.

Wwind, kalifianto, shadowdice and 2 others like this.
  7. Smuthunter

Smuthunter Begone Thot!

So what's the appeal of running a mortals game in Exalted anyways? Unless you're only doing it as a prelude to your characters gaining their exaltations I don't see the point of it or the point of complaining about 3e not being balanced for mortal characters.

Wwind and Raging Iron Thunder like this.
  8. vyor

vyor Oh that's cute

Because a lost of the real powers in the Realm aren't exalts.

kalifianto, Jarudazuigu and Sydonai like this.
  9. Smuthunter

Smuthunter Begone Thot!

Yeah but only until an Exalt takes an interest in doing the same thing but better. Even the Guild isn't immune to being disassembled by superior Solar merchants and bureaucrats.

10. vyor

vyor Oh that's cute

A single exalt can't run the entire Guild alone. That's honestly their biggest weakness: not being able to be in more than one place at a time. At least not without some extra special bullshit that most exalts don't even have.

A game as one of those mortals just trying to deal with their boss now being someone called anathema by most people, trying to avoid being killed in the ensuing chaos of a wild hunt... sounds fun to me.

kalifianto and Sydonai like this.
  11. Sydonai

Exalts still died to twenty to thirty people with bows.
    Gods explicitly have nothing to do with 3E Thaumaturgy, or any "real" Essence-User for that matter.
    It's framed as a cosmic accident that has no meaning or value.:rolleyes:

kalifianto and Jarudazuigu like this.
  12. Smuthunter

Smuthunter Begone Thot!

You can kill just about anything with a big enough zerg rush, that doesn't mean there's anything heroic or interesting about being part of one.

13. evildice

In a typical game I've played, the widespread existence of Enlightened Mortals was important because it allowed Solars (and other illegal protagonists) to use some of their cool powers in public, while maintaining plausible cover.

I've toyed with the idea of using Enlightened Mortal NPCs for out-take sessions -- basically, let the players take control of some of the various NPCs they've brought into their service, to maintain their interests wherever the PCs had set up shop, which would let the players deal with events "back home" while the PCs are out having fun somewhere else. Familiars, god-slaves, ghosts, and bound demons might also fit the power-level for this type of out-take session. Then after the out-take session (or arc if they're really into it), focus shifts back to the main PCs and the players are doubly rewarded: they get to play their awesome PCs, and they get to really feel their growth in the sudden jump from mortal+ back up to experienced Solar.

kalifianto, Teln, Sol Mark-1 and 4 others like this.
  14. Sydonai

No, if you don't have troops of sufficient caliber then a lot of things will just ignore or steamroll you.
    Third Circles and many Second Circles, Raksha Nobles, many Behemoths, stronger Elementals and Gods, the Stronger Undead and especially Hekatonkhires, any and all beings that can attack while ethereal, etc...

15. Valette-Serafina

Valette-Serafina Shameless Shadow

Also, most combat-focused Celestial Exalted. It's difficult to shoot someone who just cut your head off, after all.

16. Sydonai

Not in 3E, unless you kill half of them at once you get overwhelmed and sent straight into an initiative crash.

Wwind likes this.
  17. Accelerator

Which reminds me.

I don't have what fire has wrought. What's the bare minimum to kill a lost egg, combat specced dragon blooded. Essence 3, focus on close quarters combat?

I'm thinking sacrificial first circle demons and groups of heroic arhhers raining volleys of arrows.

Wwind and Raging Iron Thunder like this.
  18. tehelgee

tehelgee The stern gaze of justice. Administrator

That's the ST being a dick. Mass numbers of troops is supposed to be statted out as a battle group.

Wwind, Aodh, Sol Mark-1 and 2 others like this.
  19. Accelerator

Ok, I'm currently looking at the info on the oadenol's codex page. Where else can I find thaumaturgy information, and is illegal to copy and paste it onto the forums and google docs?

20. tehelgee

tehelgee The stern gaze of justice. Administrator

Against the rules here, yes.

21. Accelerator

Huh. Ok then.

So anyway, the primary problems with thaumaturgy (or difficulties), are the:

Level of thaumaturgical advancement needed
    • Time limit (warding against pests lasts for one week)
    • Attribute required
    • Difficult
    • Time taken
    • Amount of doses (alchemy)
    • Area (warding)
    • Efficacy (alchemy)

Possible factors that may be altered include:
    • Number of thaumaturgists working simultaneously
    • Backing of a spirit, god, elemental, or demon
    • Exotic reagants (e.g. holy water for warding away demons)
    • Increased time taken (Taking one hour to ward instead of one minute means you can make bigger wards)
    • Workshop (enchantment and alchemy)
    • Talismans (talisman to boost demon banishment or elemental beckoning?)

A/n: and, that's it for now

https://forum.rpg.net/index.php?threads/how-to-improve-exalted-thaumaturgy.807865/

Jarudazuigu likes this.
  22. mrttao

mrttao Gone for Good

In retrospect a mortal enhanced by an exalt is just an extension of said exalt.
    They are as relevant as if an exalt grabbed a mortal and used said mortal as an improvised weapon.

23. shadowdice

shadowdice Connoisseur.

This makes me think of the time where my warlock managed to get major points with a patron due to convincing an entire village to burn another to the ground and kill the people in it.

GM: Yeah, those villagers were basically just your murder weapon. It counts.

Also you made me laugh.

24. mrttao

mrttao Gone for Good

That sounds like an awesome story. I would love to hear more

25. evildice

This is exactly how to justify getting Cha bonus on damage rolls.

shadowdice and mrttao like this.
  26. shadowdice

shadowdice Connoisseur.

I put it under the gaming stories thread

27. Raging Iron Thunder

Raging Iron Thunder Know what you're doing yet?

So who here is playing Ex3 these days?

28. Smuthunter

Smuthunter Begone Thot!

I would be if I had a group. My Dawn-caste Geralt of Rivia expy Stoic Thundercloud needs some new companions if anyone's interested.

29. Raging Iron Thunder

Raging Iron Thunder Know what you're doing yet?

I have a solo game I'm running with a friend. The game is super crunchy and takes some getting used to.

Sol Mark-1 and Jarudazuigu like this.
  30. Bre Karn

Bre Karn (Very Slow) Writer of Glorious Smut

Second part of the Ex3 Kickstarter music suite got released, and it's more meaty than the first.