1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

I’d expect Common Sense Paul to also identify Red Arrow as the mole, and actually do something about Guardian being a clone (Paragon should have wondered who else the Light cloned, and I believe Guardian is an aged clone of the original Roy Harper so scanning the other Roy Harper running around would be very sensible). I wonder what a Common Sense approach to Lex Luthor would be; I’ve mentioned before how Paul should use his money to either buy out LexCorp or buy his way in to gain influence, and the irony of beating Luthor in a relatively mundane way would be very satisfying to see.

Darko, Drode, Prince Charon and 7 others like this.
  2. Oglymogly

Oglymogly I trust you know where the happy button is?

Man, I do enjoy seeing common sense presented as the rare super power it is.

But I'm going to have to disagree that it is overpowered alongside a power ring. Honestly, a emotional spectrum user is probably the least op super power to pair with common sense. We see in this story and canon multiple times the benefits of being deeply and irrationally committed to your emotion and beliefs. The might of Larfeeze, the summoning and channeling of a entity, even Enlightenment. All of a rings most powerful abilities benefit from being near overwhelmed with their emotion. Not stopping where common sense would say 'that's far enough'.

Of course, being insane is rarely helpful, so maybe I don't have much of a point.

3. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

doug89 likes this.
  4. Siskulous

Siskulous Know what you're doing yet?

Common Sense Paul would wipe the floor with any other Paul. Well....Ok, most likely avoid fighting them by pointing out how stupid it would be with well reasoned arguments that they couldn't counter.

Or a certain devotee of Eris who has a history of causing major waves within the pantheon by doing things like suggesting Hera should get a divorce and Hephaestus should get out more and Hades should accept souls of those who died in space...

Just a guy, Vorian, DrThoth and 2 others like this.
  5. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

He is more broken that the Paul wjo uses Mad Science all the time.

6. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

You do know that 'sire' means 'father', right?

7. Shotiegun11

Shotiegun11 Know what you're doing yet?

Athena popped out of Zeus’ head from a headache and Aphrodite came outta sea foam from Uranus’s testicle that had been chopped off.

He said what he said.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
  8. Threadmarks: Nobody Move (part 21)
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Nobody Move, part 21

19th February 2009
    21:12 GMT -5

Intellectually, I knew something like this was the most likely result. Still, even... I can't help but stare at the television screen in horrified fascination as the news breaks that Mr Stillwell has decided to break his silence on events behind the total implosion of Vought-American's superhuman development program.

"…seems crystal-clear: his identifying Vought-American Senior Executive Jessica Bradley as being responsible for the breakdown in control…"

And he's decided to drop Ms Bradley in it.

"Why do you keep watching this?"

Charlotte -bless her heart- tightens the arm she's put around my waist, pulling me a little closer. I'm watching events unfold on television in my bedroom as she doesn't want me watching this where the children might see it. But she also doesn't want me watching it on my own, so: here she is.

In my dreams, I still-.

The children are better than they were, but there are things they do not need to be reminded about. We've pretty much had to shut them inside since November, public.. hatred for Vought-American in general and superheroes in particular meant that they risked being shouted at or outright assaulted on the streets. The only reason that reporters stopped camping outside our house is that I -as just about the only superhero who actually manages to fulfil the description of the role- asked them not to. Empty enough children's wards and you.. rather end up in your own category.

I still remember begging John to stop, the blood of the White House staffers he'd killed completely coating his uniform. And I was right. He actually.. wasn't as bad as he thought he was.

Fat lot of good that fact.. did… Anyone.

"We need to know what's happening. Vought-American will send someone to talk to us eventually."

"…Bradley, he said, sadly chose to ignore his advice and pursue…"

"Should we even talk to them?"

"I-. I don't know."

The fact is, Vought-American pay for everything around here. I've got enough money that buying a house large enough for everyone wouldn't be a great strain, and… Well, my own earnings haven't dipped all that much. But actually.. being superheroes, that's not something I'm sure I know how to make work. The children are more confident in their own abilities now, but a good deal of their self-esteem comes from the positive reactions they used to get from people who live in the area. Even excluding the worst of the hostility, that's… Gone.

"No, we.. should. We shouldn't make decisions without hearing all of the options." I tilt my head to the side, briefly resting it against hers. Then I rise to my feet, calling my staff over to me and catching it in my left hand. "But, now I'm.. afraid that I have work to do."

"The hospital said-."

I shake my head. "Not the hospital."

Because 'compassion' doesn't just mean 'being nice to nice people', it doesn't just mean 'for the deserving'. It has to, has to, mean everyone.

I open a portal and step through, into Ms Bradley's hotel room. The television… The remote control is embedded in the screen, and clumps of hair litter the floor in front of it. There's blood, and for a moment I worry that I'm too late. But… No, there isn't enough. She.. literally tore her hair out of her scalp.

"Ms Bradley?"

I hear a quiet despair-filled chuckle as she staggers in from the bathroom. I-. Ah yes, a certain amount of damage has been done to the minibar. She looks… Well, a fright. There's vomit on her chest and on her right sleeve, her usually immaculate hair has been savaged and there are small cuts on her face where she appears to have clawed herself.

"What do you want?" She blinks. "Or did they send you to put me out of their misery? I didn't think they did that-"

I solemnly shake my head. "Nothing like that."

"-to executives, but leave it to James to cover all the bases."

"Would you like me to clean you up? You appear to be in a somewhat distressed state."

"OhFUCKYOU!"

She opens a medicine bottle and swallows-. Ah, yes, I was worried she might do something like that. Swallows more high-strength painkillers than is entirely healthy, especially when combined with the alcohol which she has already consumed.

"I… Sympathise-."

"Oh, of course you do. You can't not!"

"And if you're really set on killing yourself, I won't stop you."

There's a slight.. flinch, but yes, she's decided. Extreme risk-taking at least. There's no gun… What's the best way to-? The Derren Brown approach? Hm, might work. But what angle-?

Ah.

"And then, once you've passed on, I will fuck your corpse."

She jerks, the pill bottle falling from her hand, its contents spilling out across the floor.

"WHAT?"

"Oh, don't worry, I'll clean it up before anyone sees it. In fact, I can fix up everything. You'll leave a beautiful corpse." I pause for effect. "For me to have sex with."

"You came here to rape me?!"

"No, of course not. You can't rape a corpse." I pause again. "In this state. It's a completely different criminal offence."

She stares at me in horror.

"I'm.. really not clear what the problem is. You'll be dead, so you won't actually experience anything. Your legacy won't be tainted further because I'll perform a full cleanup-. Actually, is there anywhere you particularly want your corpse found? I was planning on fucking it in a number of locations anyway, so it's really no extra effort for me to take it somewhere else once I'm spent. Your apartment?"

She's still staring at me in horror.

"Or if you have a preferred mortician or.. undertaker?"

She manages to blink. "Whhhhhhhhrrr-?"

"Or a hospital for organ donation? The alcohol and painkillers might cause some damage, but your heart and lungs are in excellent-."

"Stop! Stop, just fucking-" She holds up her broken-nailed hands in a warding gesture. "-stop." Her shoulders shudder, and she's… Crying. "I-I can't I can't I can't-."

I sigh, stepping forward and wrapping my arms around her. She.. half-heartedly resists for a moment before latching on and pressing her dried-vomit coated face into my chest. "Ms Bradley, I… Don't need to tell you that you are in a great deal of difficulty." Ring, neutralise those painkillers. "But this is survivable. It is quite likely that you will be going to prison. Certainly, you will never work in your preferred field again. But there are still things you can do with your life, things that will be interesting to you and valuable to the community at large. I would suggest making a completely clean breast of things to the Senate committee at the earliest opportunity, and instructing a lawyer who can act in your defence. If Mr Stillwell has fucked you anyway, there's really no reason not to fuck him right back."

Being compassionate doesn't mean that I believe that reasonable and proportionate chastisement is unjust.

"Ultimately, the only one who can decide what you're going to do is you. If you really want to kill yourself, I will not prevent you. But please believe me when I say that where there's life, there's hope."

She appears to be going somewhat limp. I run a wave of indigo light over her, removing the vomit and mending her wounds, before picking her up and laying her on the room's bed. I linger for a moment, leaning over her and smiling kindly.

"And where there's death, there's me fucking your corpse. So… Think about it."

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
  9. Lazurman

Lazurman That Others May Fap

Pfffffft fuckin Paul what the fuck?

Oh lord that was unexpected. But hilarious.

10. Wheenesss

Wheenesss Versed in the lewd.

I know this is The Boys, but it’s been years since I’ve read it so context please?

11. Lazurman

Having not read The Boys, I can only assume that [Something Very Public and Alarming] happened that has drastically negatively affected the PR of the so-called 'superheroes' of Vaught-American. Ms. Bradley seems to be affected as well.

12. ThumperOne

ThumperOne Getting some practice in, huh?

This should probably be “clean break of things”.

EDIT: never mind, I think I understand what it means now. My bad.

ChestBurster and Cuchulin like this.
  13. Navi-Hank

Navi-Hank An engine fuled by spite

What the fuck did I just read

14. inq101

inq101 Lazy mad genius

Make a clean breast of things is a legitimate idiom that fits the situation, at least here in the UK. It means to make a full disclosure.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
  15. Buggy123

Buggy123 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Wow, that's a early post. And weird post. Eairdly post? Wearly?

ChestBurster and Vorian like this.
  16. l---erddad---l

l---erddad---l Wait, google can see this?

Zoat is really milking the fact that he's moved to Questionable Questing for all it's worth.

Or he was always intending on writing this, which makes me sympathize with him less in his fight against the moderators of the forums he was on previously.

17. Lazurman

I think it was more of a...shock therapy? Say something completely outrageously OOC to break Ms. Bradley's spiral of 'fuck everything, why even live.'

18. w34v3r

w34v3r Versed in the lewd.

I just hope this isn't a lead in to another time travel segment, those are always a pain.

19. liger0

liger0 Getting out there.

Now, I haven't ever read any of this "Boys" series but from what little we've seen with Indigo Tribe Paul, apparently something big either happened or was uncovered to completely turn public sentiment against these corporate sponsored "super-heroes" and their aforementioned sponsor, aside from Indigo Paul who, so it seems, is the only one that is actually living up to the appellation of super-hero. As for that last part that came out of nowhere, I'll let Benny from New Vegas do the talking:

20. Scholar of Time

Scholar of Time Master of Lurking

Live, or I will fuck your corpse.

Yeah, that's quotable.

21. varoksa

varoksa Getting sticky.

Awesome so happy purple paul is back, always wanted to see more of him it would have been so interesting to see the public deal with a bunch of dystopian takes on superheroes and one utopian esque healing monk.

ChestBurster, Cherico, w34v3r and 2 others like this.
  22. Flux Casey

Flux Casey The Colonel

Maybe it's time to stop analysing the work based around where it may or may not be posted? It's not especially constructive. The story is what it is.

In this case... That was pretty fucked up. But intentionally fucked up and in a setting where shock value I believe is something of a norm. So it made sense he would really need to step up his game if he wanted to bring the woman around from suicidal thoughts.

23. gjsponge

gjsponge dank memer

Holy mother of KEK, I laughed hard, like, what the fuck dude, there's shock therapy and then there's THIS.

24. Jirachi

Jirachi I trust you know where the happy button is?

What John? Constantine?

25. l---erddad---l

l---erddad---l Wait, google can see this?

Sorry that I didn't put an /s there, but I was making a joke. SV and SB wouldn't allow that kind of thing (I believe), so it is just a little joke about it.

It's annoying how when I put an /s at the end of jokes I'm told that it isn't needed, but then people assume that I'm being serious if I don't. blech

ChestBurster, Jaron, Mors and 2 others like this.
  26. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Is breast the word you wanted to use there?

ChestBurster, NotaWriter and Ramuthra like this.
  27. Cap'nSmurfy

Cap'nSmurfy Not too sore, are you?

It's at the end after the "superheroes" attempted to take over America by attacking the White House and got their asses collectively kicked by the US military. Homelander or John lead the whole thing/tricked everyone into it and has just been killed despite Paul's apparent attempt to save him. Everyone now knows that superheroes are the worst, fakes and Mr Stiller who didn't prevent this from happening has just thrown Ms Bradley under the bus as the one to blame for it all after stringing her along throughout the investigation.

28. Valint

Valint I trust you know where the happy button is?

Corpse-fucking is completely on point for The Boys, so... good job?

[​IMG]

29. King of Frost

King of Frost Wishing I was somewhere colder no doubt.

The kids he's looking after are some of the few major superhero characters that don't at all deserve the public hating them. Along with some others.

The rest? Absolutely do deserve this happening to them. A lot of horrible shit gets covered up and it all came to light in a huge way.

30. Maxx Crowley

Maxx Crowley I trust you know where the happy button is?

Well...I have absolutely no idea what's going on. Which isn't all that odd considering we've been in Hawk-Territory for the last arc.

Still..."The Boys"...just reading a summery and it sounds like just about everything I hate about "Deconstruction".