1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Massgamer

Massgamer Not too sore, are you?

Something about this line is real sad sounding to me, like whole species lost a great love and never truly recovered from it.

Vorian and Alexandercctv like this.
  2. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

I thought about that as well and I'm wondering: do our plants not use the wind? To, for instance, generate hydraulic pressure to help pump water?

3. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Bacteria that consumes electricity have been found, as have fungi that metabolizes ionizing radiation (gamma rays, X-Rays, and UV light), and the deep sea has organisms that rely on chemical energy, which is called chemosynthesis.

So there are plenty of options.

Vorian, Drode, Sockmonkey and 2 others like this.
  4. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

I think I meant to say this when you made one in an earlier part, but got distracted:
    More useful than a giant green boxing glove, but still a glowing fist-construct to punch things with. Looks like Paul is going native, a bit.

Last edited: May 14, 2019
    Vorian, Alexandercctv, Ardy and 3 others like this.
  5. Buggy123

Buggy123 I trust you know where the happy button is?

I'm more surprised that he's making a crumbler gauntlet. Surely the mechanism isn't most efficient when it's in the shape of a glove, right?

It's like... sure, you can make a taser glove if you want, but if you want to do the job well you just carry around a actual taser.

nobodez and Prince Charon like this.
  6. Silverias

Silverias Know what you're doing yet?

If that's the case, I think it'd be hyphenated.

7. Ramuthra

Ramuthra Dabbler

Don't forget Umbrax, though that might be a bit of a hard sell.

"Hey, want to quit destroying the world, demolish your corps, and join mine? No? Well, I tried."

Alexandercctv, nobodez and Ardy like this.
  8. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Huh, I didn't realise that it was possible to post entirely empty messages.

9. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

For various reasons, IIRC (like how shitty it is), Zoat seems to prefer to utterly ignore the existence of post-Flashpoint DC.

10. Oglymogly

Oglymogly I trust you know where the happy button is?

The original crumbler was originally designed into a pair of gauntlets. OL had to redesign the tech and mechanism to work as bullets and arrows, but lost most of the fine control the original had.

So I assume he's using the gauntlet because that's the design he has on hand.

Alexandercctv and nobodez like this.
  11. Citizen

Citizen Well worn.

I went back to reread Fool's Canon, and I didn't find any references to Mallobaude or any Warhammer stuff. Was there somewhere else I should be looking?

Odysseus2099 likes this.
  12. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

He means the fools canon that’s coming out this (in universe) April fools day, which will take place in warhammer. Or possibly next years, while this one has grayven in equestria

Drode, Alexandercctv and Citizen like this.
  13. Mr Zoat

Much as the SI's tribulations were interspersed with Grayven's crossovers, so Grayven's journey will be interspersed with alternate SIs.

2013 has the SI being brought to life from a comic book by one of Rita Repulsa's potions.

14. Lazurman

Lazurman That Others May Fap

I imagine she was in search of actually competent help?

15. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

For that matter is Zoat neglected to mention my favorite sophant sun in DC- Superstar, of the Superman Squad.

Who fights crime with Supercilia the microorganism, Superego, the memetic life form, and SuperBatman, heir to two legacies.

Although now that I think about it, I think Black Hole of Doom Patrol would be a good choice for the Orange Lantern Corps.

He's a scientist who wants to know everything. He learns about people by assimilating them.

Obliviated fan likes this.
  16. Mr Zoat

Yes. Truggs. Her operatives got attacked and the potion went on the wrong page.

17. WhiteNoise

WhiteNoise Making the rounds.

18. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

In general, no. They use the vapor pressure gradient between the outside and inside of their leaves as a way to pump fluid around, and wind can speed up the evaporation process that powers that, but it's not really a direct application of wind power and it works fine in still air. (Sunlight speeds up evaporation, too.)

Bramble Thorn likes this.
  19. Lazurman

Lazurman That Others May Fap

Hahah.

20. Threadmarks: Ways and Means (part 14)
    Mr Zoat

24th January
    20:36 GMT

"Ahoy the station."

Whoever's running this clearly knew that I was coming, but there isn't a marine squad ready to greet me as the air puffs out of the breach in the hull. There don't even appear to be any alarms. And whatever lunatic designed the internal defence-heavy warships, they don't appear to have repeated that style here. A weak plasma shield snaps into place to seal the hole, and blast doors begin to close to block the flow of air from the adjacent sections. Contrary to what science fiction tries to tell you, hull breaches don't actually lose air all that fast. Certainly not fast enough to move a person when the artificial gravity is set to Earth normal. After all, the difference in pressure is only 1 atmosphere. Still, air would continuously leak out, and functioning responses shows that at the very least someone has been doing recent maintenance.

Ring, any recent exhaust trails or other signs that there have been ships around here?

Trails found. Displaying.

Uh… Locally available FTL systems and thrust residues. Nothing really stands out, though tracking ships in precise terms isn't a simple matter. Tracking a ship moving at FTL is easy enough once you have any sort of FTL sensor, and often tracking where it used to be isn't all that difficult with sublight sensors. A ship at FTL is doing something clever with spacetime, and that will usually give some indication that it's going on. Whereas trying to detect that such a voyage happened at some point might well involve trying to triangulate radiation emitted from a point that has since been moving at light speed away from that point. It's doable, especially with a power ring, but it doesn’t give a lot of detail.

"Illustres to Lanterns Xor and Stewart."

"I hear."

There's a momentary delay before John responds.

"You find something?"

"One active space station in good repair. Investigating now."

"You might wanna wait-."

"I'm already on board. It started shooting as soon as I appeared."

"And you didn't just fall back? Where were they gonna go?

"They've got an anti-Lantern interdiction field. So while I could get away, coming back would be a little more difficult. Look, the gunnery wasn't anything I couldn't handle."

"…uy and Hal all over again."

"Didn't catch that, Lantern Stewart. But how are things at your end?"

"The prisoners are in custody, though they're keeping them away from the people Xor dropped off earlier." For a moment, I consider correcting him to 'Lantern Xor', but… We're working together. Being pedantic about designation protocol would be a little rude. If he keeps doing it I can always have a word with him later. "I'm watching the same station as Xor right now, from the other side of the system."

I pull a phasing drone out of subspace and send it through the closest blast door. It travels through without any difficulty. Hm. There are defences that it's worth putting on a ship that are worthless on a station. But I suppose I don’t have any real evidence that the people who repaired this place are the Black Circle. Random merchants who didn't turn off the defences? Unlikely but possible.

"Anything interesting?"

"It's a lump of rock. An asteroid with the station concealed inside. Not sure how they're hiding their heat signature, unless someone's been selling them cold guns."

"Mr Snart is a very clever man, but he can't be the only person in the universe to figure out how to apply energy in opposition to molecular vibration."

I have the phasing drone fly back through the blast door, then have it fly through a different one. Still no problem. I then engage my armour's stealth systems and have it fly back. There aren't any monitoring systems inside this corridor, the stealth systems will prevent external monitoring and since the counter-phasing doesn't appear to have activated in response to me vanishing… I move away from the blast door I was closest to and fly though the one on my right.

"I wouldn't be so sure about that. The last time I saw anyone else with that sort of tech they had to use a machine the size of a house. And it wasn't anything like as efficient."

"Okay, but even if they've got that technology, cold guns don't work through construct barriers. Lantern Xor?"

"I hear."

"I know you weren't keen, but the armour I made you is climate controlled. A full powered cold gun would kill you."

"I will wear the armour."

I nod. "I realise that it's offensive to your sense of honour, but-."

"No. Now I am not a prisoner, it is not dishonourable to wear the armour of my new unit."

"I'll remember that. Though I would like to point out that -outstanding charges or not- you were an Orange Lantern from the moment you called your ring."

Okay, let's see. The 'rooms' on the exterior side are where the exterior guns pull back into when not in use. Interior side wall is thick, designed to resist overpenetrating shots taken at the guns. Or overloads or misfires from whatever they're using to generate or contain the positrons, because antimatter isn't exactly the most discerning of materials. Corridors are relatively narrow, so they aren't designed to have crew running up and down them during combat. Probably just a maintenance team, which might actually be maintenance robots. In addition, there aren't any markings on the walls to indicate where this is. This is starting to look like a largely automated station.

"I hear."

And if it is… I'm overdue an Ice Fortress replacement. And the guns are disguised when not firing. I mean, if the League really insist I could replace the positron beams with cold guns… Actually, that's not a bad idea anyway. I mean, keep a few, but positrons are only really good as an anti-armour weapon. Against most other things a cold gun would probably outperform it, and without having the 'antimatter' tag which for most people would immediately mark it down as a superweapon rather than what it is: a reasonably powerful gun that's still less dangerous than each of Superman's eyeballs.

"Any ships around?"

"Yeah. They've got basic stealth systems, and I think they've got quick-fire drives."

Which means they can do FTL jumps automatically to get away the moment something goes wrong. They'll probably be stuck for a while after that jump, and…

"You could track the jump, right?"

"Probably, if I wasn't distracted while they did it."

Probably be able to wipe their computers…

"I'm going to suggest that you do that, and have Lantern Xor storm the base. If it's designed for stealth then it probably isn't all that well defended. He might well be able to secure the computer core before they can react, and when the ships rabbit you can track them down."

"I'd feel better if it wasn't just me. We could have a local fleet or two standing by to receive them. Quick jumps aren't exactly quiet."

"If you think that's best."

Ah, another doorway towards the interior. I send the drone through it, being mildly pleased that it isn't blocked. I'm not going to complain about this being easier than I thought it would be. I phase through, and float down the corridor into-.

Alert! Gravity distortions detected!

What.. the.. Hell am I looking at?

Last edited: May 23, 2019
  21. Nioz

Nioz Know what you're doing yet?

The Great Pumpkin, of course!

22. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

...but there isn't a marine squad ready to greet me...
    (Or 'squad of marines' depending on preference.)

Mythbusters did that for aircraft hull breaches. Same result: slight breeze.

"They've got an anti-Lantern interdiction field.

This line needs Quotation Marks, if he's muttering it out loud.

Better not to tick off the distinguished 'competition'.

Random merchants using familiar positron projection weapons?

Welp. At most, a central computer to raid for info.

And if it is… I'm overdue a Ice Fortress replacement.

Easy catches. If you can tell where they end up.

Missing End Quote.

Something Very Strange, I bet.

Dang Cliffhangers... :p

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  23. Buggy123

Hah, now that's thinking like a orange lantern!

"This abandoned station was owned by pirates. I could blast it to pieces... or I could just take it."

24. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Wait a second... Given salvage laws wouldn't Paul attacking like this make him a pirate?

25. Buggy123

Not that we know of, because Earth's salvage laws are completely irrelevant here, and the salvage laws of local powers have never been described and may or may not apply in the first place.

Obliviated fan, Ardy, Vorian and 5 others like this.
  26. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

Chojin Patriarch likes this.
  27. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

They were a couple chapters ago...

28. Lubaf

Lubaf Meow.

Given they launched a Lantern Interdiction Field as soon as he arrived, and not responding to hails, he's fully justified in immediately investigating. Honest salvagers have no legitimate reason to use that technology at this point in time. It's more a matter of "reasonable suspicion of pirate activity" than "piracy" right now.

Thanks
    Luc "Yarr! It be September 19th Early This Year!" French

29. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

But he already got Shippy McShipface.

Also, the Orange Lantern Corps already has a much better station.

30. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Maybe it’s because we’re in a different solar system now, with no spacefaring species?