1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

'+ Quote' (add to multi-quote) missing from locked threads

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Bugs' started by doug89, May 16, 2019.

1. doug89

doug89 Versed in the lewd.

Hello. I initially posted this in the Styling thread but was told it probably wasn't relevant there.

I noticed recently while gathering quotes from a thread that no '+ Quote | Reply' popup was appearing when I selected text. Nor was their an option at the bottom of the post to '+ Quote'.

The thread had been locked. It absolutely makes sense to remove reply options from the popup and the bottom of the posts, but keeping multi-quote would still be useful.

I was hoping that could be added back in. Here is a screenshot example, showing the lack when highlighting text and at the bottom right, and another showing how it normally appears. Thanks.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 16, 2019
  2. tehelgee

tehelgee The stern gaze of justice. Administrator

You do realize that first thread is locked, yes?

3. doug89

doug89 Versed in the lewd.

Of course I do. I was gathering quotes from that locked thread for a different thread. Multi-quote saves quotes and can be loaded in any thread you want.

Here is the comment I wanted to make. I needed two quotes from different posts, and I ended up copy/pasting them into a plain quote tag without links back to the original.

https://forum.questionablequesting....the-wizarding-worm.8703/page-165#post-2607432

4. january1may

january1may Versed in the lewd.

IMHO, it's not that hard (though still mildly inconvenient) to fake up a quote link manually. You just need the poster's nick, their profile number (part of their profile URL), and the post number (which can be obtained through the permalink). I actually did that at least once before at some point (forgot why).

That said, I admit that there is no real policy-based reason to disallow multi-quote on locked threads; IIRC, this shows up because multi-quote is implicitly tied to the quick reply box (which is of course not an option on locked threads), and the use case is sufficiently rare to not be worth the extensive effort to fix (if such a fix is even possible at all).

DIT_grue likes this.
  5. evildice

evildice (emotionally stable clown posse)

I can see good use for this to more easily quote locked stories for discussion over in the main fanfic thread.

I like this idea.

Obviously people shouldn't use it to re-start flame wars which caused an ugly kind of thread lock, but that type of thing can (and does) happen already without any quoting so I don't think that's going to be a new source of hassle for the mods. The same sort of user discretion which this feature requires is already necessary.

doug89 and january1may like this.