1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Sorrow

Sorrow Getting sticky.

You know, it's times like these that I miss Fatty.

2. Zeroguard

Zeroguard Eater of M&M's

I'm not sure what you mean by 'actual Christian'? A quick Google search found at least one by the name of Siku whose done other work related to promoting Christianity but DC comics is a big enough name and they aren't directly aiming to promote Christianity as a goal that I cant find much fault with them not having many stories by 'actual Christians'. Its certainly baked into some of their wider mythos from what I know if of it via Mr. Zoats own story here but I dont really get what the issue would be as that's not really a part of their goal?

Drode, Ardy, AtomicGeneral25 and 7 others like this.
  3. King of Frost

King of Frost Wishing I was somewhere colder no doubt.

Yeah, I always loved when OL took him out and told him he could eat whoever he was after. Either as an intimidation tactic or to help other lanterns train up it was always fun.

I always imagined him as looking like an orange Slimer from Ghost Busters, but from what I've learned he probably looked pretty horrific.

Ardy, Hell's Razer, Relyt33 and 3 others like this.
  4. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

One of the core rules of Christianity is to never speak the Lord’s name in vain. Things like saying “Oh my God” and “God damn it” excessively are considered sins. Moreover, writing about a God or possibly angels who are not absolutely good is also considered a big no-no in Christianity. Same thing possibly with writing about a god who is not omnipresent and doing miracles.
    It’s a lot easier to handle if you think that DC is actually writing about a demiurge and referring to it as God. Though there have been aspects of god being omnipresent in some sections of DC. Basically anywhere the presence is involved.

5. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

As I already stated, the fate of every Earthborn Angel who doesn't die first is corruption.

That was made quite explicit in Supergirl. Supergirl even grew bat wings made of fire at one point, after all.

One person dies to save another, they and the Aspect of God merge, the Earthborn angel dies or falls to corruption and then dies, then the Aspect of God floats away until some other pair trigger the transformation.

Reign in Hell did retcon the end of Supergirl though, since Linda shouldn't still have been an earthborn angel of fire anymore, but DC writers like to do that.

For example, the Shade the Changing Man of Vertigo is far different from the Shade the Changing Man of New Earth. The Vertigo comics explanation for that? The New Earth Shade the Changing Man was a piece of fanfiction the Vertigo Shade the Changing Man wrote.

Except Shade the Changing Man was a freaking member of the Suicide Squad who not only showed up in Suicide Squad but showed up in Young Justice, Checkmate, Crisis on Infinite Worlds, Blasters, and Firestorm. Pretty active for a guy who supposedly didn't exist.

Cuchulin, Relyt33 and AngelicKnight. like this.
  6. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

Different people have different definitions, so whatever definition Simonbob is using may be incompatible with the definition someone at DC who thinks of themself as a Christian but sees no reason to make sure people know that might have. Anything more detailed might get into a politics or religion derail.

Drode, Ardy, Relyt33 and 4 others like this.
  7. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

The basic rule that all this recent fiction based on the Bible arguably violates is: “do not use the lord’s name in vain”. Medieval fiction is better about it, though “paradise lost” is still considered anti-Christian by some.
    Though the people who care tend to be very strictly Christian.

Drode, Ardy and Relyt33 like this.
  8. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

OK, but not everyone is using the same definitions. That appears to be your definition. It may or may not be Simonbob's, we'll see. It easily could be a definition that no-one with any authority at DC has, while some could still have definitions that allow them to be Christians without feeling like hypocrites.

Drode and Ardy like this.
  9. Simonbob

Simonbob Really? You don't say.

Agreed.

Generaly, I can't find any good Christans in DC comics anymore. There's Random Fanatic Killer ones, and Corrupt Priest No 34, but, a good samaritan who's obviously Christan? Even if they get killed helping out?

Might just be that I haven't seen it, I haven't been looking much the last few years. More and more disgusted by the decicions made, but....

When was the last good Priest stepping in, even if a superhero needed to help? The last Angel who didn't make things worse?

Note, I'm not Christan myself. I just have started to note how often people are hostile to that particular Faith, when, all too often, there is much worse getting a pass.

I guess I'm just enough of a contraian asshole that when I see some group being attacked, I have to point out the groups that are worse are not.

I really HATE the current culture. Way, WAY too much lies, and way too many people who will go after you for telling the truth.

Should get off the subject, though. No Politics in QQ, after all.

10. Queshire

Queshire Not too sore, are you?

I've ranted enough about Christianity being singled out one way or another compared to other religions, and I count getting treated negatively like with Hellblazer to fall under that.

Dresden Files does it best in my opinion, though I choose to ignore the word of author about the Archangels basically pruning timelines/destroying galaxies.

Drode, Gilhelmi and DAT_NOOB like this.
  11. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

There was a mention in... I think it was in a book focusing on Azreal. Two characters were talking about religion and one mentioned that his priest had died pulling people out of wrecked buildings during No Man's Land. And Zauriel is generally doing good.

12. Queshire

I don't know about recently, but over in Marvel Nightcrawler's faith has always been a pretty big deal for him. He even became a priest iirc.

Edit: Also, though they don't make a big deal about their faith I feel like it could generally be presumed that most big name superheroes not established as being another faith would have some influence of being Christian just by virtue of 'MURICA.

13. Simonbob

Sure.

How many decades ago, was that? Had to be 15+ years ago, If I've heard about it.

14. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

He is thanking Paul for hand delivering a depowered Noriel to him, I wouldn't be surprised if the little shit took the time to enjoy himself before completing the ritual... And yes I am talking about the R word, he has a relationship with the teenager Linda (ergo sex) , so I am almost certain the power fantasy of raping an angel would be too much to resist for a demon like him.

15. inglorius

inglorius Getting sticky.

Point for style, OL.
    Double "free" feels awkward here, consider "pulls him out" instead?

Mr Zoat and Prince Charon like this.
  16. Queshire

In 2014 he gave up heaven in order to help out his friends and come back to life.

Ardy likes this.
  17. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey I trust you know where the happy button is?

Regarding the Mammon bit, none of the "tweaks" OL performed ran counter to Mammon's essential nature, and were things that he might have been talked around to eventually. That's why the changes took so well. He still wants influence, wealth, resources, etc.

protoss16, Ardy and DrThoth like this.
  18. Simonbob

K.

Haven't been reading comics.

19. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

I agree.

20. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Still unsure about the scope of this.
    It sems to be a minor drug operation...involving a major demoness.
    And some random, small scale drug peddler...who managed to bind a fallen angel into his girlfriend.

21. Queshire

Eh... Demonic equivalent of a casual hobby maybe?

22. Diraniola

Diraniola I trust you know where the happy button is?

Treason, Grand Larceny, and Jaywalking

23. Gantradies

Gantradies Not too sore, are you?

you have to admit, THAT'd make a hilerious punchline- OL and Local Law enforcement/the JL agreeing, and blowing days/weeks preparing for a "second boot" that's never gonna get the wall- it'd be GLORIOUSLY anticlimatic- i can almost hear Ambush Bug dropping a comic/the remote and complaining loudly as he goes for another soda halfway between the side's of the 4th wall!

Drode, Ardy and Vorian like this.
  24. Lubaf

Lubaf Meow.

Go look up Christopher Priest. Currently writing Deathstroke, and a Baptist minister, and boy does it show in a subtle way. (The focus of this Deathstroke run? Is Deathstroke redeemable, and, given that it's Deathstroke we're talking about, why isn't he?)

Thanks
    Luc "Exception That Proves The Rule?" French

25. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Angel is a rapist and murdered but is still "Good".

Demon saves lives and the World but is still "Evil."

Yeah, fuck that.

26. Buggy123

Buggy123 I trust you know where the happy button is?

It's been over an hour since the usual post time. It's official, Zoat's dead.

We need to start assigning roles for his funeral.

27. Jacen

Jacen I am of no consequence.

Noooooooooooooooooo

doug89 likes this.
  28. Fireboy13

Fireboy13 Gone for Good

he shall be missed

Cuchulin and doug89 like this.
  29. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

He seemed pretty lively about an hour ago in the Eros thread.

30. PDV

PDV Revelation That Uncertainty Is Itself An Answer

Tangentially: I'm a committed atheist but I still want to see a Catholic Green Lantern. "On earth as it is in heaven. By green lantern's light." is too excellent an oath.