1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. hkim

hkim Know what you're doing yet?

Did.. did you miss that whole thing with Zatanna and the dragon people?

Ardy, infinityDivided, RGFJ and 5 others like this.
  2. Phrexia Unbound

Phrexia Unbound Oooh...that's good.

Seems like it should happen to every Paul...except White Lantern Paul.

RGFJ, Alexandercctv, Ardy and 3 others like this.
  3. Aeess

Aeess I trust you know where the happy button is?

Why wouldn't it happen to White Lantern Paul? I would think that since his ring recharges by embracing life, he would even be more at risk then the others(except for Star Sapphire Paul).

4. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

Remember this is the Titans Go show verse, and since I didn't watch it, its totally plausible for starfire to be 14 in that show and that would make blackfire 15.

Cuchulin likes this.
  5. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

Eh don't know enough about there situation, although it probably should happen to anti-green lantern paul he doesn't deserve any more bad things happening to him.
    No I did not but there was a lot less killing involved in that, I was calling for a full-time yandere Zatanna #KiLlYoUrFrIeNdS

RichardWhereat likes this.
  6. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

I think it's regular Teen Titans, not Go.

Drode, Ganurath, PDV and 6 others like this.
  7. Queshire

Queshire Not too sore, are you?

Yep, if I remember correctly the original thing by a fan talking about a Red Lantern Paul was for Go, but the canon one is in the original Teen Titans cartoon.

8. Sordid Snake

Sordid Snake (Verified Viper)

How long is a tamaranean year?

Pro: The ring is too angry to do unit conversions.
    Con: Its obviously not too angry to do translation.

"I have good news and bad news. The good news is that the year of Tamaran is not the same length as the year of Terra."
    "Thats a rel.."
    "...But the bad news is that it is shorter."

9. Lazurman

Lazurman That Others May Fap

Uh, Blackfire’s a Tamaranean, yeah? So maybe their race has a different rate of age/maturity than humans do.

10. Aeess

According to the Teen Titans wiki it seems to be way shorter, since Starfire is listed as 156 years old-in Tamaran years.

Jaron, Drode, Cuchulin and 4 others like this.
  11. Prince Charon

... or maybe Tamaraneans are longer-lived and grow up more slowly. Maybe both.

infinityDivided, Drode, RGFJ and 3 others like this.
  12. Aeess

They also list Blackfire as being born in 1987, so unless time travel is involved I doubt that.

Alexandercctv and Navi-Hank like this.
  13. Prince Charon

That would make her seventeen in 2004, then.

Jaron and Vaermina like this.
  14. narukaze132

narukaze132 Getting some practice in, huh?

Noticed a typo from a few weeks ago:
    white

Mr Zoat likes this.
  15. Jirachi

Jirachi I trust you know where the happy button is?

I hope we eventually see a non-orange enlightened paul, so we can compare the 'enlightened perspectives' and such.

Vorian, Cuchulin and Alexandercctv like this.
  16. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.
    There's one in this year's April Fools episode.

Ardy, Bramble Thorn, Ganurath and 5 others like this.
  17. Jirachi

Jirachi I trust you know where the happy button is?

Just checked what you posted on April 1st 2019 (wing and dagger part 2) and it's a normal non-interlude chapter. Or do you mean 2020?

18. Sceptic

Sceptic Critical Irrationalist

He means April in-story. Which he may or may not reach this out-of-story year, depending on how busy Paul's next two months are.

19. Siskulous

Siskulous Know what you're doing yet?

That "traumatized" bit kinda makes it worse. Not only are you dealing with a minor, but she's a minor with pretty severe psychological trauma. Even adults with that kind of trauma can make some pretty self-destructive choices in these sorts of situations.

Then again, I'm not sure that 15 is still considered a minor in Tamaranian culture. And they ABSOLUTELY have fewer hangups regarding sex than most human cultures, so even if they are it wouldn't be too terribly far fetched for their culture to let teenagers/young adults (depending on the exact individual) decide for themselves when they're ready.

infinityDivided, RGFJ and Vorian like this.
  20. SpiritualSlacker

SpiritualSlacker Nurse God of Mischief

Maybe not time travel, but time dilation due to (faster than) light speed travel might be a thing in this situation. But now I’m speculating.

RGFJ likes this.
  21. Siskulous

For some reason no one ever seems to consider time dilation in comics where someone is capable of relativistic speeds. To be fair, though, it's glossed over even in most sci-fi.

22. IndigoAbyss

IndigoAbyss Isaac of the Abyss

Lol, I love how Red Lantern Paul has no problem sadistically butchering his enemies but having sex with Blackfire is a big no no for him.
    I think Tamaran doesn't have the same laws about maturity and consent like Earth. So I don't why this is such a problem with him. I get that It's weird and all, but she comes from an Alien planet that has a completely different society and culture. I wouldn't sweat on It.

Prince Charon, RGFJ and Cuchulin like this.
  23. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Sadism would imply that he enjoys inflicting pain for its own sake. He doesn't. He experienced job satisfaction when he kills vile people.

24. IndigoAbyss

IndigoAbyss Isaac of the Abyss

I could be wrong, but Isn't that still technically Sadism?
    I mean he might only kill vile and evil people, but If he enjoys Inflicting pain on them, then it's Sadism.
    The definition of Sadism:
    ''the tendency to derive pleasure, especially sexual gratification, from inflicting pain, suffering, or humiliation on others.''
    Come to think of It, aren't all Red Lanterns Sadistic In one way or another?

Cuchulin likes this.
  25. Siskulous

Not really. Sadism would be deriving pleasure from the act itself. If inflicting pain is just a means to an end then it's not sadism. It's the difference between enjoying staring at data for hours on end and enjoying the sense of accomplishment when you find the key that makes that data make sense.

26. Maxx Crowley

Maxx Crowley I trust you know where the happy button is?

"When I am confronted by the evils of the universe, I will rejoice. For when I am done, there will be one less."

I would also say that no, Not all Red Lanterns are sadistic, because some of them are so god damn angry that they don't even notice ripping you apart. Or just too enraged/hate filled to feel anything at all beyond those two.

27. lefthandturnsignal

lefthandturnsignal Making the rounds.

To be fair, once you actually do the math, it tends to be a net zero effect. If you return to the origin point anyway.

28. Buggy123

Buggy123 I trust you know where the happy button is?

I... don't think that's true, actually. If I understood you correctly, you're talking about the Twin Paradox, right?

Edit: also it's worth noting that something's really fucky in DC anyway, because according to physics as we know it, FTL travel as seen in DC would result in screaming, followed by exploding. And yet, there is no explosion; only the screaming... of physicists.

infinityDivided likes this.
  29. lefthandturnsignal

lefthandturnsignal Making the rounds.

No. If you start on the surface of earth, then travel at 50% the speed of light away for X time, due to the stretching of time-space it looks (from earth) like it takes longer. From your perspective, it looks like time on earth takes longer too.

If you then slow down, turn around and head back, time on your ship and earth appear to speed up, and by the time you land back on earth it all catches up and time has passed normally for both you and observers on earth. From what I remember years ago when I learned this, the twin paradox can never actually happen. When you return, observed time-space catches back up.

Relativistic math is for compensating for appearance from light speed observations, it doesn't actually create more time out of nothing.

ShadowPoint and DAT_NOOB like this.
  30. Buggy123

Buggy123 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Yeah, but the traveller is still subject to time dilation. In the oft-mentioned example of a twin on a spaceship, the twin on the spaceship will have aged less no matter what sort of trip they take.

Edit: I think I may have confused the point you were making. Regardless of the details of the scenario, anyone moving at high velocity will be subject to proportional time dilation, which is directly relevant when dealing with superfast people (as per the original comment). By my understanding, the twin paradox deals with why, when it appears to the traveller that the earth is slowed down, when they return home only the traveller has experienced significant dilation. This is much less relevant when talking about, for instance, someone running in a 2-meter wide circle at .9c.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019