1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Jirachi

Jirachi I trust you know where the happy button is?

Shouldn't Carol be unable to see Paul's emotions due to his tattoos, at least without touching him?

c3qo likes this.
  2. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

The Renegade fixed the situation with the League before they could be sent anywhere.
    Not precisely. Themyscira -14 has a rather different culture to Themyscira 16.

3. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

I figure the violet light DID touch him, and since he was intentionally lowering his resistances then the (comparatively weak) skin wards wouldn't provide a whole lot of passive defense against something as powerful as Earth 16's Star Sapphire.

Gilhelmi, Cuchulin and DrThoth like this.
  4. Threadmarks: Doppelgängered (part 10)
    Mr Zoat

4th February
    20:11 GMT -5

"You should be sure to temper your expectations. President Wilson has hardened his heart to any Made Men who might seek his pardon."

"We're not looking for pardons for everyone. But… Does that include everyone even slightly associated with the Syndicate, or just Made Men? If… An accountant who worked in an Syndicate-owned firm wanted to hand themselves in, or an engineer who worked on a Syndicate project and didn't commit a crime other than working for the Syndicate?"

"There may be room to negotiate, for those only tangentially involved. But President Wilson has committed himself to the destruction of the Syndicate. And he will not adulterate his ambition. I do not know if he would consider you to be a full member yet, but by staying here and speaking on their behalf you are putting yourself at risk."

I shrug. "We already have the technology to block the planeshift device your Lex Luthor used. I doubt that he's had the time to design a second device that works on a different basis."

"You are not concerned for yourself personally?"

"Not significantly." Hm. "What do you think the chance is of President Wilson removing all special legal measures and restoring habeas corpus?"

"He believes that the extraordinary measures are necessary for destroying the Syndicate and restoring peace to America. Once the Syndicate is destroyed, then the pre-bellum legal mechanisms would be restored."

I can't help but smile. "Did you know that the Syndicate didn't exist until Governor Wilson started targeting metahuman criminal gangs? I mean, the Managers knew each other, but cooperating was only ever on a case by case basis."

"No. And while I don't know whether it's true or not it hardly matters now."

"No? Because it seems to me that Wilson started a war that has made the country much worse off. Every time he escalated they escalated right back. If he'd just not done that, the country's supervillains would still be spending more time fighting each other than fighting anyone else."

"They would still be supervillains."

"Your starter for ten: what's the difference between 'kidnapping' and 'arresting without charge'?"

She narrows her eyes. "Pass."

"If you pay the ransom, the kidnapper lets you go. Wilson gave up the right to say 'the law says so' when he started changing the law to justify what he was doing. Ultraman was satisfied with running crime in Metropolis. Heck, crime went down after he took over all of the city's other gangs, even including his punishment beatings. Then he got threatened by something he couldn't beat on an organisational level. So he upped his organisational game and his brute force game, because the force at President Wilson's disposal was greater than what Ultraman had at his disposal."

"Are you trying to claim that letting the Syndicate off scot-free is the best solution?"

"How familiar are you with the Good Friday Agreement?"

Which exists back on Earth 16, but might well not be a thing here. I really need to get out and update my database.

"It was the peace settlement which brought an end to political violence in Northern Ireland."

"Sort of. Fanatical groups remained active for years afterwards, but the main groups accepted that it was a fair deal and stopped bombing and sniping. Marching season still gets a bit tense. But, part of the result was that hundreds of murderers were released from prison having completed a mere fraction of their sentences. And the vast majority of them didn't re-offend. The British government devolved a lot of authority to the Northern Irish Assembly while the Republicans gave up on trying to unify it with the Republic of Ireland by force. Everyone got a situation they could live with, and if anyone breaks the law now then they're fair game."

"The Crime Syndicate is not a political organisation, Citrine."

Cit-? Okay, not sure what her jewel fixation is about, but at least it's orange.

"Criminal gangs in Northern Ireland did a lot of fund raising. It didn't all go on guns. And they did punishment beatings, too. And while I rather missed the part of history where the British Army decided that treating Ireland like occupied territory rather than part of Britain was sensible, and that brigandage and murder were acceptable forms of policing, I know full well that they happened."

"You think that the Made Men of the Syndicate will become legitimate citizens if the President gives them a… Mulligan?"

"There was crime before supervillains. There would still be crime if they vanished. Even now there's crime, but since it's being committed by the state people are pretending that it isn't crime. But the last reliable statistics I was able to find said that supervillain-led criminal groups are actually slightly less violent than the regular kind. They can just escalate further if pushed. We've seen what happens when the surviving parts of the Syndicate are pushed."

She looks thoughtful for a moment. "The offer President Wilson received last year was genuine."

"Yes. Wait, you thought that it wasn't?"

"The President believed it was an attempt at misdirection. I had no opinion."

"Did he?"

"Yes."

"Because… People sometimes say that they want peace, when what they actually mean is 'victory'. Peace on their terms only. For example, take a look at how many Nobel Peace Prizes have been awarded in the Middle East. And compare it to how much peace has actually happened. People actually want peace when they're prepared to give up things they don't want to give up in order to achieve it."

"And what is the Syndicate prepared to give up?"

"All of their remaining strategic weapons. At least, those that aren't built into Made Men. Certain types of crime, so long as they are allowed to move into legitimate areas of commerce to offset the financial loss. Part of the Syndicate's combat strength can be… Sent into exile."

"Exile? Where?"

"Pick a failed state, or one run by criminal gangs already, or one where the government might appreciate metahuman muscle in order to solidify its hold on power. Creating a private military company out of the Syndicate's hard cases well outside President Wilson's area of concern. They won't complain too much about the work, and they won't be an immediate threat to America. Plus, if they die in combat, he doesn't have to worry about them at all."

"Unless they seize a country and begin rebuilding there."

"If they take over a country, that's even better. Firstly, there's less reason for them to come back to a place where there's a firing squad waiting for them. Secondly, running a country is actually really hard and takes a lot of time and intelligence, which is time and intelligence that isn't being spent on attacking American concerns." I shake my head at the obvious sub-par decision making. "Let me tell you: if I'd been running the Syndicate a couple of years ago, they'd have had a very different focus. So many ways they could make a profit-."

Oh goodness me. That's how I get them on-side. Evil Alan can give me their personnel files and I can work out how they can make money legallyish. And it won't go like it did with our Lex because they'll think I'm one of them and they're actively looking for better options.

"So that's my opening offer. Nothing is nonnegotiable, and the Syndicate does appreciate that while everyone would lose in the event of a direct confrontation they'd lose by most. I'm happy to meet with representatives of the President, or of anyone else if he doesn't want to be directly connected to what's going on."

"I can request an audience with the President and relay that."

"Not-. Lex Luthor will probably be President this time next year. You'll need to make sure you tell him as well, because he's going to have to live with it. And if the Quizmaster is as intelligent as his alter ego back on my home parallel, you should tell him so that he can make sure I'm not pulling something."

She nods slowly. "I will agree to that."

"Thank you. If you'll excuse me, I'll go and talk to Power Ring about letting you out."

Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
  5. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

Well you know what they say...
    [​IMG]

6. liger0

liger0 Getting out there.

It took me a little bit to realize that Quizmaster was Riddler's counterpart. I wasn't entirely sure and had to wind up looking it up.

7. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

8. Vrenze

Vrenze I trust you know where the happy button is?

Isn't there are an actual low tier villain named quiz-something?

Cuchulin likes this.
  9. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

This version of Lex Luthor could quite literally do that while on the toilet...

And that's not even counting how given this is a Mirror of the JLAU Earth that diverged between Justice League and Justice League unlimited he would have a good version Brainiac in his head right now helping him along.

Gantradies, Drode, Wheenesss and 3 others like this.
  10. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Many might not even know they're involved with the Syndicate...

Soldiers, you can negotiate with. Fanatics, not so much...

And the one Olympia and Power Ring Yellow used?

Yep, he's leaning on the 'your boss is insane' angle...

Ah, impressive that history flowed much the same regardless of morality.

Presumably, the Star Sapphires were in the cosmic police game before the Guardians went for lanterns. So the concept of 'power-jewel wielder' stuck.

Not so much a mulligan as a 'okay, we'll forget that stuff, play nice now or we won't.'

He's a paranoid loony. I swear if this ends up with a fistfight in the Oval Office, or a battle of giant mechs...

At least, those that aren't built into Made Men.

This word feels a bit awkward. Perhaps 'legally-ish'?

It didn't work too well with Lex-16p because he's got The Light hanging over his head. The Renegade's is doing much better.

Not said: "Because I do not want to be back here this time next year."

Seriously, I doubt Wilson will go for any of this. He's too invested in his 'Destroy the Syndicate' mania.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  11. Lord Ernest

Lord Ernest At the End...

That chat and the Illustres' arguments made me want to read more about the Sybarite, you know. 'Cause that guy is kind of the supervillany Orange Lantern, with his 'I take what I want, intelligently, and make a profit' attitude.

In the meantime, I'm not sure from where the other shoe is gonna drop to make this situation more complicated than what it seems or what the Illustres think it is. Maybe Rose Wilson died in one of the retaliatory strikes of the Syndicate and now Slade is completely set in his 'Syndicate Delenda Est' mode? Maybe the Illustres and Zatanna get suck up into power politics of the Zatara Famiglia? Maybe some intransigent Syndicate member doesn't want to go with the 'Peace but with Profit' new Plan? So many possibilities... I really love visiting alternate universes and analyzing their problems.

12. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

I think Spoiler/Robin/Batgirl Stephane Brown's father was named Quizmaster or something like that and Teen Titans GO comics had Quiz kid a Riddler knock off about the same age as Robin called Quiz-kid.

13. Lord Ernest

I concur. Not that I know much about gems, but when I think about orange and gems, Amber comes to mind first.

Edit: Although, now that I think about it, Amber is not a real gem, is it? I think is just fossilized sap or something?

Cuchulin likes this.
  14. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Good to know, but the second thing is questionable considering how AU this fic is... but even if it is true, it would take time to build. While it would possibly take him an hour to invent the concept at most, it would take him a lot more time to put that concept into practice and test it - a couple weeks at least most likely.

Prince Charon likes this.
  15. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

You're probably thinking of Cluemaster, the Spoiler's father.

Doom Patrol has the Quiz though, the supervillain with every superpower you've never thought of.

16. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Amber is usually more brownish. Could also be a Britishism

RichardWhereat likes this.
  17. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

If the Universe -14 version of Larfleeze is a sane good guy, I would like for Paul to contact him and for the two to curbstomp Wilson, who would never go for it, fanatical "heroes", who would never go for it, and Syndicate members, who would never go for it or will try to double-cross OL.

BBJimmy, Prince Charon and Navi-Hank like this.
  18. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Holy shit that is cheap as fuck - since her foes have to think of her abilities out loud while fighting her, she could just use the ability to stop all thoughts about superpowers within an area before the fight even starts.

19. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    It's supposed to feel a bit awkward.
    Sybarite's problem is that by combining demon magic and orange light he's become someone who can't act rationally and instead has to get other people to be rational for him.
    And now she can't. Nice one.

20. FreeGod

FreeGod If you see a God on the road fuck it!

If blue Paul had a lantern of his own he would have been running the Syndicate a long time ago and it never would have gotten this bad. I think. I don't know how different a hope based Paul would be.

21. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

She still can - that’s the thing - I haven’t fought her yet. I can think of the power, but it doesn’t block her until she starts fighting me and I consciously think of her having that power - but that thought is itself a thought about superpowers. So long as she is the initial aggressor, she literally can’t lose. And to do that all she needs is the power to always attack first. So the fight doesn’t start until she attacks and that attack is with the power to stop blocking her attacks.

Or she could just use the ability to block all superpowers except X - where X is a given obscure power her opponents don’t have. And that would force them to guess the power she isn’t blocking. For example, they wouldn’t think of her not blocking the ability to lick her forehead with her tongue. But that is a perfectly valid superpower.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
    BBJimmy and Navi-Hank like this.
  22. Mr Zoat

If he had a personal lantern he probably wouldn't have joined.

Drode, Bramble Thorn, BBJimmy and 8 others like this.
  23. FreeGod

True that, but what if he got it later after he started getting attached to the young offenders?

Chaoswind likes this.
  24. ForeverShogo

ForeverShogo Not too sore, are you?

Thee argument feels a little naive and up his own ass . . . But yes, Wilson is definitely not going to go with it. It's just too personal for him after they murdered his wife.

Albert Scoot and Prince Charon like this.
  25. Lord Ernest

I don't think there's a Larfleeze in this universe. The Guardians got killed by Krona, so no time nor setup for Larfleeze and his gang to get the Orange Light Fountain, maybe there isn't an Orange Light Fountain. If the Star Sapphires are the heroes of the Galaxy, maybe their bad guys are the Red... I don't know, Garnets? And then maybe the Oranges would fall into an Anti-Hero sort of role, I think.

The simple fact that he at least though to get people to be rational for him makes him better than the majority of supervillains. Also is letting him make some serious profit and get away with being quasi-demon and banging a hot supervillain as well; that's just pure win.

26. FreeGod

This is a planet that hasn't been covered with scry wards. Paul is close to all knowing. He has many many different angles of attack.

BBJimmy, Alexandercctv, Drode and 5 others like this.
  27. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Baul arrived and started changing thing after Brianiac would have planted himself in Luthor.

That whole part of the storyline happened during the "Superman the Animated Series" bits of the universe.

28. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Like you keep pointing out, though, certain parts of the premise are different in Zoat’s version of the DC multiverse. He maybe did leave that, but he might have changed it. It hasn’t been specified in this fic, so it’s not official canon yet.

29. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

Like you keep- Oh, you're taking Vaermina's statements about what is and isn't canon at face value. You shouldn't do that; their assertions are wrong with such consistency that many believe it to be deliberate. The movie Baul's universe is based off of is Earth -14, and the heroes that came to it were from Earth 14. The DCAU is Earth 12.

30. PDV

PDV Revelation That Uncertainty Is Itself An Answer