1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Impartial Panic and nobodez like this.
  2. Grosstoad

Grosstoad Whimsical Paranoid Creeper

Uh, a minor question: Why is her being a captive considered objectionable? Or is she being repeatedly tortured?

3. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

I think he was set in that when they killed his wife. Given her heroics in the comics, maybe Rose Wilson joins the Syndicate on Earth -14.

Lord Ernest likes this.
  4. jaelin910

jaelin910 habitual lurker

Well, yes, she was... but honestly, I'd think 'my ally has been captured by my enemies' is the sort of thing most people would object to regardless.

5. Zig

Zig Not too sore, are you?

You're thinking of the Justice Lords universe. This is the one from Crisis on Two Earths, which diverged long before Justice League. Seeing as the humans in it have different organ configurations, it diverged at least several million years ago. Not sure what the timeline is for Krona and the Guardians but that could be billions.

6. 012345

012345 Well worn.

If this Earth/Universe has so much higher tech level will Paul spend some time to scan/hack random databases/devices to rise his tech level and give himself some new options? It would be a shame to waste oprtunity to make him stronger.

7. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Here, the Syndicate is being associated with Scotland..

... but the rest of it is about Ireland!

Cuchulin likes this.
  8. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

He has even less resources that the Syndicate had to invade another dimension.

Plus he will be too busy running the country to war with a completely different Earth.

Ardy likes this.
  9. Siskulous

Siskulous Know what you're doing yet?

I'm not so sure about that. A lot of disorganized crime is, at it's root, caused by societal problems. I can't give percentages or anything, but I'd be willing to bet that the vast majority of random thugs would not be thugs at all were it not for poverty. Fix the societal problems and the crime rate drops quickly. Organised crime, on the other hand, is not caused by societal problems. Perhaps not at the very beginning (most organised crime originates with a group banding together for mutual protection) but by the time it gets to be a big problem it's caused by greed. That means that while most crime can be significantly reduced by reducing poverty without ever going after the criminals themselves, organized crime has to be attacked directly if you want to deal with it.

First, Owlman was insane even by the standards of a bunch of sociopathic narcissistic megalomaniacs. Second, I believe "why a bomb" would have much the same answer as "why a gun" in this comic.

Wait, DC has a Doctor Strange? Huh. I guess with the way DC and Marvel shamelessly rip each other off I should be more surprised that his first name isn't Steve and he's not a wizard.

10. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Nope. I know exactly what I was talking about.

I really don't think you properly understand how much more advanced this particular Earth is compared to the one Paul just came from...

11. PDV

PDV Revelation That Uncertainty Is Itself An Answer

There's a Cluemaster, which might be what you're thinking of

Cuchulin likes this.
  12. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Pragmatically choosing the least bad option.

Willing to accept that you will not get what you want.

Realising that the stories lie, that there isn't always justice delivered with a righteous glare, but that bad guys sometimes get away because it's better that way.

It separates the kids form the adults.

13. Maxx Crowley

Maxx Crowley I trust you know where the happy button is?

I'm afraid that you are going to have to provide further explanation for this statement.

14. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

Hugo Strange is a doctor.

15. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

They're actually talking about assassinating Barda's husband.

Cuchulin and Aeess like this.
  16. Xmaster3000

Xmaster3000 Know what you're doing yet?

Unrelated to the topic, but I think I found Teth Adom's theme.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
  17. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Cutting a deal with a criminal for information for instance.

18. Siskulous

Siskulous Know what you're doing yet?

The most common example I know of is cutting a deal for a lenient sentence in return for a guilty plea. The system does that in like 80% of all criminal cases. If they didn't the courts would have a backlog decades long.

But for an example more like the example in the story, the police will sometimes give up on a high speed chase not because they can't catch the person in question but because continuing the chase is too dangerous to all the innocent bystanders around in the area it's going through.

Also, I don't know whether it's ever happened in real life or not, but a common trope in fiction is the crime lord who doesn't tolerate unnecessary violence and whom the cops leave alone for fear of getting someone worse. (I THINK the Yakuza might have been that for a while in Japan, but since I'm unfamiliar enough with the real Yakuza that the fictional depictions of them bleed into my knowledge of them pretty severely I would not want to state that as fact. And in any case they cracked down on the real Yakuza a while ago.)

Bramble Thorn, Simonbob and Cuchulin like this.
  19. Ganurath

Teth Adom, at least as depicted in this story, isn't the lightning. The lightning is a call for attention, uncertain in direction, with all the foreboding of a jump scare. Teth Adom is the thunder: anticipated, inevitable, and depending on the context can be intimidating or reassuring. By that merit, an energetic, modern song that lacks a heavy drum is ill-suited to represent the Champion of Khandaq.

...I wonder what Earth -14's Teth Adom is like.

Cuchulin, Vorian and infinityDivided like this.
  20. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Nobody knows. Superhero and all round wonderful man Theodore Adam has no plans to ever let him out.

21. Ganurath

The Batsons tried to murder Mr. Adam in a ritual sacrifice, but through either their own ineptitude or his own heroic ingenuity he turned things around?

22. Lord Ernest

Lord Ernest At the End...

I could see her, at most, as an Anti-Hero; if there's been some divergence from the movie and with Power Ring Blue's influence. She would be trying to stop the escalation war his father is provoking, but in no way associated with the Syndicate. After all, in the movie itself she had to be saved by the Justice League from an assassination attempt... and she also had something weird going on with the Martian Manhunter; can't remember if they even addressed her age in the movie.

Prince Charon and Cuchulin like this.
  23. PDV

PDV Revelation That Uncertainty Is Itself An Answer

Did he match the "empowered by Oggar, eventually rebelled against him for personal reasons" template we'd expect from the mirror?

Cuchulin likes this.
  24. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

DC actually has two Dr Stranges, Adam Strange as far as I know isn't one.

In the comics he's an archeologist and since he's never been referred to as Dr I would assume he's got his masters instead, in YJ he's a STAR Labs scientist who works on the Erdel teleportation system.

Hugo Strange, already mentioned, is an evil psychiatrist.

From the ABC imprint they have Dr Thomas Hugo Strange, a reimagining of a golden age public domain superhero as an alternate version of the Doc Savage esque Tom Strong. He's a scientist who developed a serum of "Gimme the powers of superman!" basically. Odd thing about Dr Thomas Strange and Tom Strong, his doppelganger, is that they exist in the same universe, that universe just has two Earths in it.

Cuchulin likes this.
  25. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Even better: the rebellion would be forming something like the Justice Syndicate, with the Atlantan Queen being an anti-hero. His rebellion would be in trying to control crime and chaos with the pseudo-Syndicate and thereby lessening the amount that actually happens.

Cuchulin likes this.
  26. Simonbob

Simonbob Really? You don't say.

Some of the stuff I've seen suggests it's not poverty as such, but poor childhoods and broken homes.

There are a lot of people with little money, who never commit much crime. There are plenty of people with a lot of money, who do horrible things.

27. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Not really, Young Justice has the same level of tech or better is just not shared around because Mad Docs are idiots.

Plus, good Luthor is smart and he does know he can't both make the USA great again and win a war with an Alternate Earth.

And because is historic, I should mention the USA government made deals with the US Mafia during WWII to keep nazis away from the US ports. And there is also operation Paperclip.

So the USA government making desls woth criminals has happened before in reality if the motivation and or need was strong enough, so why not in fiction?

Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
  28. Simonbob

Given the "Close" alliance between the US and Saudi Arabia, and how long that's lasted, the US Gov will work with almost anybody.

Vorian, Cuchulin and Prince Charon like this.
  29. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

This is getting close to modern politics.

Vorian, Cuchulin and Prince Charon like this.
  30. Simonbob

...... Agreed.

I'll watch it.

Cuchulin likes this.