1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Buggy123

Buggy123 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Also, as Zoat said, "retaw si alobe".

2. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

... Here is the result of a google search.
    Shit-show
    It claims murky origins, possibly either from something German, or from a magazine review an art exhibition/ show where the artist (whose goal, being part of the No Art movement, was to mock art) made bad statues out of mammalian fecal matter.

nobodez and Cuchulin like this.
  3. SirKaid

SirKaid Know what you're doing yet?

That has no bearing on the situation. If anything it would make him less eager to help them - after all, their existence spits in the face of the genuine heroism that their Earth 16 counterparts display on a daily basis. It'd be like if someone was drawing Hitler 'staches on pictures of Norman Borlaug, it's genuinely insulting.

He's working on getting a peace treaty because the war will kill at best thousands of innocent people, cause millions if not billions of dollars of damage, and further erode civil liberties. It (the war) also can't work, not without turning the USA into a police state.

That's the high-minded reason to work on getting a peace treaty. The more prosaic reason is that he can't go home unless he does it. If the Syndicate was demanding that he do something terrible in exchange for the way home he'd tell them to fuck themselves and take the time to reinvent whatever it was they used to kidnap him in the first place, but this is generally speaking the sort of thing he approves of on general principles anyway so it's not a huge problem to just go ahead and do it.

Gantradies, Vorian, Cuchulin and 7 others like this.
  4. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

The Story Only thread is finally up to date!

5. Lazurman

Lazurman That Others May Fap

Alright... Your gripes have become a fixture here, yes... But could you like...stop using ellipses all the time? It’s a weird thing to bug me... But it does...

Also...you’re generalizing again... Paul will kill the mass murdering psychopaths if he can’t reform or imprison them... And the Syndicate is 90% low tier dumb thugs and toughs... Not all of them deserve death row...which is what they’ll get if President Wilson gets his way... You seem a little unnecessarily bloodthirsty...

I...think...I’ve made my point?

6. Maelgwyn

Maelgwyn I trust you know where the happy button is?

Damn, you must hate anything written by Theirishdreamer.

7. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Unfortunately, this isn't actually true. It was propaganda, on both sides.

On the American side, this idea was promoted first to make the battle seem more desperate to the American public, then afterward as a way to explain why it was okay to make friends with the Japanese afterward even though we stayed embittered with most of our other enemies.

On the Japanese side... The Japanese army was in desperate straits. They were running out of weapons. The soldiers were terrified and didn't actually want to keep fighting. The Japanese military leadership spread the propaganda that dishonor was worse than death, drumming up conservative values among the people in order to shame the soldiers into staying at their posts. Kamikaze pilots weren't always volunteers even though that's what the Japanese government told the citizens -- sometimes, the pilots didn't even know they were being sent on a kamikaze mission until they got there, and then they were shamed into "volunteering" by threatening to spread stories about their cowardice. (The possibility of being summarily executed for treason if they hadn't obeyed may have also played a role. And if you're going to be dead either way...)

What you heard about schoolchildren wasn't quite accurate. It's not exactly false, but it misrepresents what actually happened. It was as a non-combat program, training in disaster services like firefighting and evacuation. But because they feared a land invasion, the government turned the program into conscription -- every male between the ages of 15 and 60 and every unmarried female between 17 and 40 could be forced to join the militia, and were assumed to be combat capable. The training still primarily stuck with support tasks, although they included basic weapon drills. And even if it had come down to combat, the armaments supposedly given to the militia didn't actually exist. Most of them would have ended up using bamboo spears. So like the bomb drills in the US that would never have actually done anything to protect people if there WAS an attack, it appears to have been about making the people feel like they had a chance to do something if the worst-case scenario happened.

Drode, Handlewithcare, Ardy and 8 others like this.
  8. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Then Paul should make sure those Civilians don't by killing the small number of Syndicate people who would cause the damage.

The simple fact is this is very much a "Korean War" type choice where it's between a significant number of people dying now or a much much larger number of people suffering fates worse then death for generations to come.

nobodez likes this.
  9. Silverias

Silverias Know what you're doing yet?

This seems hyperbolic in the face of what is actually going on.

RichardWhereat likes this.
  10. Gantradies

Gantradies Not too sore, are you?

And the worst thing is the entire “warrior culture” they were operating under was an almost-total fabrication based off a series of badly botched translations of old texts by an incompetent historian that the people in power cynically seized as a tool for social manipulation.
    ”the way of the warrior is to die” my fucking ass.

throw in the random, systematic beatings of military recruits in training for no reason other the the trainers literally getting off on it AND common use of amphetamines as combat stimulants,not to mention the toxicity xenophobic climate the younger generation had grown up in, and it’s disturbing easy to see how a a large chunk of Japan’s military degenerated from the disciplined units that crushed tsarist Russia in their nation’s previous major conflict into an animalistic,howling mob of lunatics in China over a few decades...

Last edited: Jul 7, 2019
  11. Mr Zoat

The Transuranic Men can quite literally generate nuclear explosions at will.

12. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

The two "alternatives" that Paul thought up amounted to the Cartels and Mafia...

And due to the rules of the Crime universe, he is a good guy.

Cuchulin likes this.
  13. Steelplaza

Steelplaza Custom Title

Something I've been wondering about.

OL got his orange lantern back at the very beginning of the story when he used his ring to force-transform Alan's green lantern into an orange lantern. The Paul of this universe, a Blue Lantern, has been struggling because he doesn't have a personal lantern. OL as we've seen has plenty of orange lanterns; in fact he can make an orange lantern through sheer ring power (even if it's very crude).

If OL gave BL an orange lanterns as a "wedding present", could BL use his blue power ring to turn it into a blue power battery and eliminate his greatest weakness?

Also,it sure is nice of OL to do all this rather than drag BL back from his honeymoon (something he could do very quickly) and say, "This is your problem."

Cuchulin likes this.
  14. Mr Zoat

Sadly, blue rings don't come with an assimilation function. He could get Kalmin to make him one, but he's not actually all that keen on his blue alter ego and probably won't.

15. Buggy123

You're kidding, right? Just kill them, sure. Take on half a dozen or more Supers bent on killing as many people as possible, some of whom have the ability to teleport or fly very fast. And two of them aren't even on the planet, and one of those two is capable of "retaw si alobe" by Word of Zoat.

And those are just the upper management. What happens when the hundreds of mid-tier thugs decide to play along? Including the dozens of people who can also Ebolize all of the water?

Yeah, sure. Kill them all. Easy.

You normally think rather poorly of the SI's capabilities. Why the sudden change of heart?

16. Ct613hulu

Ct613hulu Experienced.

I would say that there is also the question of what precedent you will be establishing for new super-villains. If you create a system in which the penalty for any super-villainy is death, than you are creating an incredibly dangerous situation where new Super-villains who would otherwise be a relatively minor nuisance are given a strong incentive to seek to destroy the current civilization and behave in a massively more destructive manner.

Cuchulin and infinityDivided like this.
  17. Maxx Crowley

Maxx Crowley I trust you know where the happy button is?

God....not the wanky "if you do this, than THIS will clearly happen." proclamations.

18. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

But... JoJo is built on those.

Buggy123 and RichardWhereat like this.
  19. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

The point is that the Japanese leadership took it seriously and so their propaganda reflected it, which intern meant that many soldiers did and surrender was so hard to consider that very few did as well as some soldiers spending decades hiding in the jungle after the war before giving up. So Japanese actually did do not very effective to near pointless suicide attacks or other wise died rather than surrender (which more or less is a part of traditional Bushido and part of why POWs were so badly treated by Japan). Also that if the USA had tried to invade the home islands we would most likely have had to fight and kill thousands of civilians armed with archaic weapons trying to ambush them. Lastly i said "cult of the warrior" as in what the "official partly line" was rather than what people actually felt/thought.

Agreed! I am some thing of a Japanophile (I've watched every ep of the Begin-Japanology series on youtube I could find more than once) as well as a big fan of Anime/Manga so I know that the "Bushido" pushed by Japanese leadership during WWII was more or less a inaccurate over hyped load of cow manure. I don't know about Japan using amphetamines as combat stimulants (I know Germany did so at least a little) or beatings, but I do know that at least partly due to that toxic xenophobia a guy who struck out the Sultan of Swat Babe Ruth as a kid gave up baseball and i'm pretty sure died on a submarine during the war. Although i'd hardly call them a "animalistic, howling mob of lunatics" as the did so well in China partly because they were better/more disciplined soldiers.

Drode, Lord Ernest, BR549 and 2 others like this.
  20. Mastigos2

Mastigos2 Versed in the lewd.

Being unfamiliar with this setting, I'm left wondering if Owlman brainwashed him to give a reason for his bomb to be made and used

Ardy and Cuchulin like this.
  21. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Seems that you were going for something along the lines of the Death-Metal Men, a group of radioactive metal men- Uranium, Strontium, Thorium, Radium, Lithium, Polonium, and Fermium.

The Robots of Terror would also work as evil Metal Men, since that's what they are, and they included Plutonium, but Sodium fizzing people to death is probably going to be harder sell when it comes to menace than radiation.

Lord Ernest and Cuchulin like this.
  22. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Also there's the whole bit with Blue shutting down Orange which would probably make Baul's soul incompatible with an Orange ring.

If we are playing things straight to the "Crime World" rules the only real heavy hitters the Syndicate have left at this point are Power Ring Yellow and Olympia.

Olympia can be dealt with in five seconds via transitioning her into space, and Orange makes Yellow it's bitch.

Once those two are gone it would be relatively simple to pick the others off 1 by 1 over the course of a day or so without any of them discovering something was going on.

They are low level criminals and have pretty much nothing going for them threat wise.

Cuchulin likes this.
  23. infinityDivided

infinityDivided ******** of Doom

First, he was talking about hypothetically getting Kalmin to make another Blue Personal Lantern. Second, the "Hope shutting down Avarice" thing was exclusive to Larfleeze, I think. It had to do with the fact he hoped to one day be free of his ring.

Vorian and Cuchulin like this.
  24. Taliesin

Taliesin Know what you're doing yet?

As far as I can tell the whole 'the Japanese tried to surrender before the bombs but the U.S. wouldn't accept a conditional surrender' thing is from a Mises Institute piece. The U.S. didn't receive any official offer of conditional surrender until after the Nagasaki bombing and the Soviets entering the war, on August 9th. There was some back and forth between the U.S. and Japan, and Truman ultimately accepted the condition that the Emperor remain in exchange for some language that he would be subject to the supreme commander of the allied powers.

Despite the U.S. acceptance of the conditional surrender some hardliners in the Japanese military still couldn't accept giving up and attempted a coup against the Emperor that was unsuccessful.

According to the Mises piece backchannel communications had taken place in May and June from the Japanese suggesting that a conditional surrender might be possible. The piece cites some sources that seem reasonably credible, but it seems to be so eager to prove that the bombs were unnecessary that it misses that the earlier communications were never an an actual offer of surrender and the attempted coup even after the bombs and the Soviet entry into the war shows that a significant portion of the Japanese military command were unwilling to surrender. A surrender before the bombs and the Soviets may have been a political impossibility for the Japanese even though elements of the government were attempting to lobby the Americans for one, likely with the goal of seeking generous terms in the hopes that they could convince the hardliners to accept.

Anyway, it was an interesting bit of reading looking all that up. For anyone who isn't aware, The Mises Institute is not generally regarded as a trustworthy or unbiased source. They're a very right-wing libertarian think tank, the sort of people who think the Cato Institute are too left-wing. Most of what they peddle is an unscientific 'narrative' approach to economics that eschews mathematics or testability, but they also dip into conspiracy theories (climate change is a myth perpetrated by scientists for grant funding, vaccines cause autism, and others) and deeply weird political positions like advocating monarchy, extreme views of private property rights, and the legalization of such things as bribery, blackmail, and drunk driving.

They're a weird crowd.

BR549, Cuchulin and nobodez like this.
  25. Bramble Thorn

Bramble Thorn Verified Silhouette

So... Having the finished episodes still posted as daily ~1,000 word chunks is actually not that great an idea. It makes the archive and unnecessary huge slog of pages, and also makes it even harder to find a specific part instead of easier, because all those individual episode parts? You never actually bothered to label them with part 1, part 2, etc in the archive for easy identification of which part you were reading, instead just having a random number of unlabeled similar posts in a row.

You do realize the individual post limits are large enough to handle endure episodes, right? Because I have seen others stories post 10-20k or more chapters in one post.

If you posted each complete episode in one or two posts, with the part numbers of daily installments actually in the next for reference, you could have saved yourself a load of hassle and made the archive thread much more manageable.

26. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Sodium is a highly reactive soft metal. You can cut it like putty. It makes a preety large explosion when exposed to water. It doesn’t just “fizz”.

Cuchulin likes this.
  27. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

I heard that there was an offer to surrender after the first bomb, but it got lost in translation (maybe on purpose), so they dropped the second one. Don’t remember where I heard this though, so I might be wrong.

Cuchulin likes this.
  28. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

We have no guarantee that Olympia’s magic and ability to hold her breath won’t hold out in space long enough for her to come back to Earth. Also, fairly sure Orange doesn’t explicitly make Yellow it’s bitch. Hasn’t happened with Grayven so far. And he can’t transition the entire Zatanna mafia family at once. It’s hard to identify the threat.

29. Buggy123

Also, if I was the evil leadership of a crime syndicate with access to substantial technological and magical resources, and I was worried about being ousted, I'd leave some parting presents lying around.

Nothing says "Back off." like a dirty bomb going off in the middle of a populated city. One, to show that you have them, two, to show that you have more, and a third if they decide to keep giving you lip about it.

Cuchulin likes this.
  30. Taliesin

Taliesin Know what you're doing yet?

I can't find anything like that with a cursory search, but of course that doesn't disprove it. It does have an urban myth feel to it though.