1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Some asshole set KyoAni Studio 1 on fire

Discussion in 'General' started by ANGRY PUFFBALL, Jul 18, 2019.

1. ANGRY PUFFBALL

ANGRY PUFFBALL I trust you know where the happy button is?

ScarletFlames, Pef, Kalem_Lee and 2 others like this.
  2. Jiven

Jiven Most Excellent Lurker

KyoAni ? Seriously ? Why would someone attack them ?

3. 13ry4n

13ry4n For Sanguinius and the Emperor!

From what I've read, it seems like he believed they had stolen an idea of his.

ScarletFlames and Sol Mark-1 like this.
  4. DCF

DCF Lewd Catgirl

My condolences to anyone affected by this disaster. I really hope the death toll does not rise any further, it is far too high already.

5. 95spartans

95spartans I trust you know where the happy button is?

33 dead and 36 injured (some critically, so expect the death toll to increase) out of around 70 in the building.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-49027178

They have the scumbag in custody. More people have died in this attack than the Aum Shinrikyo sarin attacks in the 90’s which were carried out by multiple people. They got the death penalty, so this guy almost certainly will too. Execution in Japan is done by hanging, unfortunately they use the long drop method.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
  6. Solvakian

Solvakian Versed in the lewd.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
  7. nick012000

nick012000 Gone for Good

I've seen two possible motives posted on /a/ sourced from Japanese social media: that he sent in a proposal for their light novel competition that got rejected, and then they made an anime with a similar idea afterwards, or that he was a train-obsessed otaku who flipped the fuck out over one of their anime plagiarizing a song that apparently gets played on Japanese trains, and he decided that murdering dozens of people was appropriate retribution for ruining his ability to enjoy his favorite song.

Assuming that he doesn't die of his own burn wounds first, anyway.

searcher8 likes this.
  8. 95spartans

95spartans I trust you know where the happy button is?

Heard it was this song

9. AllyDoodle

AllyDoodle Lewd Cthulhu

Fucking hell. I will never be able to understand what makes people do things like this for the most petty of reasons.

10. globalwarmth

globalwarmth ruining the weather.

Crazy logic is crazy, so it's natural to be baffled by their motives.

Here's hoping he survived and lives long in the draconian hell that is the Japanese prison system.

11. Sol Mark-1

Sol Mark-1 Experienced.

There are rumors that the fuck that began to fire died because he accidentally set himself on fire.

12. kinglugia

kinglugia A Randy Avian

What I am concerned is whether this was just a genuine arsonist, of if something bigger is brewing in the shadows.

13. Fenrir

Fenrir Bites The Dust!

Though on SB there seem to be reports that the guy survived(but he was burned), so yeah the dude is gonna get hit with the law. He burned down a building and killed 33(or was it more?) people. Those cultists that did a chemical attack on the railway only killed twelve people, and they got the gallows. So yeah the guy killed way more people, there's no way he isn't getting the noose.

14. Imabot

Imabot Connoisseur.

This is ra real tragedy. My heart goes to all victims of this violent attack and their families.

If there is some fairness in the world then I hope that arsonist will not pass away in hospital and will get into trial and get a just punishment.

And I hope studio KyoAni will manage recover and not close because of this arson. It would be great shame to end like this.

15. Dormin

Dormin Know what you're doing yet?

Well fuck. Heard the guy who did it has mental issues. Don’t know if they’ll execute him if that’s the case. Still, a nasty part of me is kind of hoping he gets a short drop and a sudden stop. We’ll see I guess.

Sinnerlust likes this.
  16. Solvakian

Sol Mark-1 and MHLord like this.
  17. Omida

Omida Making yakitori

Apparently the train otaku guy is just the case of bitching about things at the worst possible time.

The actual culprit is 41 year old, unemployed asshole(apparently he was not liked in his neighborhood) with criminal record (served 3,5 years in jail for convenience store robbery at the knife point) who decided KyoAni were stealing his LN ideas, somehow, and, naturally, thought mass murder was clearly the optimal solution to that.

So because of one crazy fuckwit the only anime studio to treat its employees decently got 20% of its staff killed and the other 20% put out of commission due to injuries, possibly dying too.

And apparently he was planning on also hitting Kadokawa, but I am unsure if he though he could do 70+ person killing spree and then go to Kadokawa and repeat it, or if it was more 'will hit whichever I get lucky with'.

Akasora, Teln, Train Dodger and 7 others like this.
  18. Imperator Maximajorian

Imperator Maximajorian I trust you know where the happy button is?

I think the only way he could possibly avoid death row is if he were considered legally insane. And considering this attack was obviously premeditated rather than a spur-of-the-moment decision, I'm pretty sure no insanity defense will hold up in court.

I've already donated to the GoFundMe. Really hope my money helps, even if only a little.

19. r6winfero

r6winfero Know what you're doing yet?

Aw hell no. :(

Sol Mark-1 and kinglugia like this.
  20. Solvakian

We're starting to get more articles in English about KyoAni arson

The guy responsible accused KyoAni of stealings novels.

Hatta said that he's never seen a correspondence from Aoba, and never knew about the plagiarism claim.
    This confirms that the building a total loss which is isn't surprising considering the size of the fire, I heard they're going to replace it with a park and a memorial for the victims

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
    Rakdos92, Sol Mark-1 and kinglugia like this.
  21. seeing_octarine

seeing_octarine Unverified Colour

Can we take a moment to consider how mindbogglingly stupid it is for a major business that operates in an earthquake and tsunami prone area to NOT have offsite backups of any sort?

(I'd express sympathy for the victims, but let's be honest here: I didn't know anyone involved, none of this will affect me in any way, and on a worldwide scale people get killed all the time. Kinda difficult to genuinely tug on heartstrings when it's like that.)

Splodge, Sol Mark-1 and Valor like this.
  22. John_Oakman

John_Oakman Come touch my hentai machine

It might have something to do with budgeting issues (Japanese animation studios are well known for operating on shoestring budgets due to the way the industry works there) and conservatism* when it comes to technologies, neither of which bond well with having redundancies.

*not the political version of the term.

Teln, searcher8 and Sol Mark-1 like this.
  23. Rakdos92

Rakdos92 Goosh Goosh

I'm kind of worried that other studios will use this as an excuse to be even more stringent with their employees.

ScarletFlames and Sol Mark-1 like this.
  24. Pef

Pef Versed in the lewd.

So, the real perpetrators of this tragedy got away, huh?

Did they release the names of those corporate scum which stole this man's property and then taunted him into madness?

John_Oakman likes this.
  25. Rakdos92

Rakdos92 Goosh Goosh

Don't respond to him. Just move on.

26. daimahou

daimahou Gentleman Tentacle(s)

The bit the news have right now say his "stolen property" is either an LN comission (?) which never arrived to the "corporate scum" or pretty much a pun in the world's most punnable language (or was it an abbreviation?), so anyone can come up with it by coincidence.

Or he took an exception to some train station music in Hibike Euphonium?

Also, what do you mean by taunted? Do you by chance have news of how he communicated with KyoAni staff until he snapped? Because we pretty much know he didn't turn towards the law...

27. Haplessly Incompetent

Haplessly Incompetent Looks cognizant(?)

This. He's either a troll or a sock. Regardless, the reply will not be pleasant.

On the topic though, my heart goes out to the victims.

Sol Mark-1, Rakdos92 and searcher8 like this.
  28. Pef

Pef Versed in the lewd.

Huh. So hostile mate.
    Put a sock on it.

John_Oakman likes this.
  29. Megaolix

Megaolix Moderator

Put a sock on yourself. We don't joke with tragedies.

Sublime, Teln, kinglugia and 6 others like this.
  30. OverReactionGuy

OverReactionGuy The only Sane one left