1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.
    It's the Fleet from Thanagar.

Bramble Thorn likes this.
  2. PrinceJonathan

PrinceJonathan Versed in the lewd.

Now you have me picturing Grayven's Purple Death Ray playing the Mentos jingle every time it fires. "The Friendmaker!"

Cuchulin, nobodez and FeepingCreature like this.
  3. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

Well it works for Nanoha...

4. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Is utterly ridiculous that you can set a starship destroying gun to go "non lethal".

5. Steelplaza

Steelplaza Custom Title

You know, I actually don't really know what happened when Renegade previously visited the Justice Lords universe. The story doesn't really do "recaps" and I wasn't reading at the time that arc happened.

I don't even know where to look for it if I wanted to go back and read that arc.

This story could really use some Marvel Style editorial notes. "The Renegade visited the Justice Lords back in Arc XXXX, true believer!" Not to pile more work on Zoat's shoulders, as I'm sure it's hard enough to pump these out daily as it is... perhaps other readers could suggest reference notes to be edited into appropriate chapters?

6. Mr Zoat

Here it is.

7. Mastigos2

Mastigos2 Versed in the lewd.

Actually he picked a great way to go easy and nonverbally communicate his intent: "feel my desire to murder you" shoots a healing beam. Then trust the Wisdom of Solomon to catch on

8. Old Knife

Old Knife Not too sore, are you?

Let the bodies hit the floor. People gonna dieee!

9. Mr Zoat

People have already died. Perhaps you missed it because the Renegade didn't know their names, but most of those thanagarians are now dead. All of them have families.

10. Old Knife

Old Knife Not too sore, are you?

Correction then. Superheroes gonna die.

DAT_NOOB and Buggy123 like this.
  11. Threadmarks: Conqueror's Moon (part 6)
    Mr Zoat

26th December 2004
    21:07 GMT -6

Batson is fast-.

He winces and tries to evade the beam but it's light speed. His best logical option-.

I raise a construct shield and hold it over my head as he flies underneath me.

"Shazam!"

The lightning bolt strikes, shattering my construct and hitting my body. My armour soaks most of it but I feel an uncomfortable tingling in my left arm. Why are my.. constructs this.. weak?

Fear. The thanagarians are either dead, flying away or staying back, and Batson's got the Courage of Achilles. I'm not scaring him, I'm not scaring Shayera and I'm… Probably not scaring Rayner.

Sorry, Sinestro.

My construct gun vanishes from my right arm and a new one appears on my left. It looks… Slightly more solid than its late yellow counterpart, which I suppose will have to do.

And Batson's looping back so shield over my head again.

"William, why are we-?"

He flies underneath me and then changes direction to fly up underneath me! As soon as I spot his intent I try to evade but he's actually pretty quick. He grabs my legs-.

"Shazam!"

Conductive cables!

The cables appear, running from my shield to Batson himself.

"Huh?"

Then the lightning hits, blasting down from wherever the Wizard's lightning comes from and pouring into my shield. The shield lasts a fraction of a second, but the lightning is mostly redirected around me and into Batson.

Owowowowowow.

And now Batson isn't grappling my legs so much as hanging off them, opening his mouth-.

Gag him.

By your command.

"Shaumpf!"

I wreath him in orange chains and then pull him up so that our eyes are level.

"You should really talk to the Wizard about that weakness. That could get you killed."

He glares, but it turns out that the most righteous youth on the planet just isn't very good at actual malice. He looks like a grumpy puppy or something.

"No, seriously, that's your main form of ranged attack and all someone needs in order to end you is a copper wire. Now, if I take the gag out, are you willing to have a civil conversat-?"

A hammer construct hits me in the face, knocking me back in the air as it flies around and comes at me again!

"Mister Rayner, it's poor form to-"

I draw the Sword of the Fallen with my right hand and stab the construct in the head, causing the construct to shatter.

"-take advantage of the fact that your opponent doesn't want to kill you!"

"Oof."

Rayner's construct wall of American football players shatters under Shayera's assault, his follow up brick wall construct failing a moment later. That's the thing to do with Green Lanterns: don’t give them time to focus. Keep them off balance. For a low-will high-creativity type like Rayner it should be particularly effective…

Right… Up until the point where Shayera smashes his rib cage in and kills him because her mace doesn't have a stun setting. Need to stop this before that happens.

I turn my attention back to Batson. "I'm going to remove your gag. Don't say 'Shazam'. Okay?"

He looks back sullenly. "M-mrurh."

Dismiss.

"Why did you kill those people?!"

"Can you narrow it dow-?"

"The thanagarians!"

"You mean just now? Because they were trying to kill Shayera. And probably me. You have realised that-."

"You're the Grayven from January, not the Grayven from Thanagar. Wisdom of Solomon. But did you need to kill them?"

"Strictly speaking, no, but keeping them alive seemed like an unnecessary risk to Shayera's safety. If you try and kill someone, you lose the right to complain about them trying to kill you. And anyway, they sent out a fake distress call. That's very illegal in most civilised regions. So yeah, heard a distress call, came here, got attacked."

"Why did you come here?"

"There was a distress call."

He regards me sceptically.

"And I wanted to link up with the Lords who'd signalled they were responding, and I was interested in the nth metal ore. Honestly, I was just expecting some miners. Is there any chance you could call Rayner off so we can go our separate ways?"

"You tried to take over America!"

"And I saved millions of lives while getting hit by a nuclear weapon your 'totes legit' president shot at Washington. I really do think that you'd have to be rather unreasonable to bear a grudge about it." I look upwards towards where their ship is settling into low orbit. "The only reason I'm not gagging you, grabbing Shayera and boom tubing away is that I want to make sure that Scott's alright before I leave."

"Mister Miracle? Why wouldn't he be?"

"I was practising with my god powers earlier and when I tried empowering him I got interference.. probably from your Grayven."

"Um, we dropped him off on Thanagar."

My eyes widen. "Okay, I know he's good at escaping stuff, but another me isn't going to use X-Pit style traps and tricks. He's just going to carry out an orbital strike on the area Scott is in if he feels that his authority is being undermined. Scott isn't even bullet proof. What the hell did you leave him on occupied Thanagar f-?"

"We're trying to evacuate refugees because the other you is using reprisal attacks to keep control of the thanagarians."

Ah heck. What exactly happens if the God of Conquest wins a god-fight with the God of Freedom? Nothing good, I'm sure.

"Fine. I don’t object to that and Shayera is probably all in favour." I look around. "Are we good now? Can we call an end to hostilities?"

"Can I turn back?"

"I don't know, Batson. Is Kara in a position to blindside me yet?"

"Ah…"

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
  12. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Yeah, easy to see that coming.

One guess, Corpsman.

The joy of fighting Superheroes. Gotta wonder how Sinestro managed it.

Because you don't want this fight...

Serious drawback, that.

Too nice a boy, I guess.

How rude!

So, how did he earn the ring in this universe? I doubt he's the most courageous person in the sector...
    Also: That's the thing to do with Green Lanterns: don’t give them time to focus.

Joy of a berserker.

Faceless Mooks and all. Not optimal, but...

It's called Self-defense, kid.

"Not seriously! Believe me, if I'd been trying, you'd know it."

And who was holding the idiot ball for any of that to seem sensible?

He knows how they think, for sure.

Well, that was pleasant enough. Let's see if things can remain civil for a while longer.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
    boo600, Vorian, Hell's Razer and 25 others like this.
  13. thebishop8

thebishop8 Umm, ackchyually...

14. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey I trust you know where the happy button is?

15. HereforZooat

HereforZooat Getting out there.

The yellow light indicates fear or the intention to create fear. I don't think it's been specifically brought up, but Grayven could probably use the yellow ring trying to intimidate some rocks.

16. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Wait, so they let Grayven take over Thanagar, then the only thing they did when things turned to shit was drop of Scott as a guerilla type thing and now they are complaining other Grayven is killing Thanagarians that attacked him?

This seems a little...schizophrenic.

17. Maxx Crowley

Maxx Crowley I trust you know where the happy button is?

As it has been noted, not even Guy Gardner cracks jokes about battles with Sinestro.

Also, Rene-Paul has certainly NOT mastered fear like Sinestro has.

boo600, Gantradies, Ardy and 6 others like this.
  18. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

One of the problems with writing superhero fanfiction is that if you're writing them in-character, a lot of the major characters tend to come off as either crazy, idiots, or crazy idiots.

19. Mr Zoat

He mostly fought Green Lanterns who were afraid of him.
    Superman: The Animated Series never really made that clear.
    Thank you, corrected.
    Defence of another, actually.
    Scott himself. He wants to help more people and he has a Mother Box for boom tubing.
    Actively killing someone isn't the same as choosing not to help the people who recently tried to blow up your planet.
    Thank you, corrected.
    Metallica can stand on a metal disc and make it fly.

20. Lord Ernest

Lord Ernest At the End...

Sinestro's a better Lantern than Grayven for sure, Grayven's lantern abilities aren't really that great, probably because he focuses on his New God technology and powers, using the rings as accessories and easy-to-use tools. Plus, almost every Green Lantern is, even subconsciously, afraid of Sinestro; I think because of two things, his status as former First Lantern (meaning they acknowledged him as the best of them) and because he apparently survived and came back from Qward, what was supposed to be a death sentence.

For the situation in Thanagar, I don't think Stormwatch could have prevented Grayven 50 from conquering Thanagar, not even the Thanagarian Empire could (they were losing their war after all). So is not like they let Grayven 50 conquer the place, they just couldn't prevent it and now want to help as much as they can, which probably isn't much but they are superheroes and will try, I bet.

21. thebishop8

thebishop8 Umm, ackchyually...

Ah, right. I was trying to remember the ones that appeared in the Justice League episode. I remembered Ace, super strong guy, stretchy guy, girl with powers I don't remember. And apparently I forgot about King entirely.

Cuchulin likes this.
  22. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Absolutely nothing because you're overestimating the strength of your own power.

Cuchulin likes this.
  23. Buggy123

Buggy123 I trust you know where the happy button is?

His own power? You mean Grayven-50's power? Cause Renegade Grayven has little interest in fighting Scott, especially if it'd cause a metaphysical disaster, so it's not him.

Because Grayven-50 is the son of the God of Tyranny, Terrifying Ruler of Apokalypse, Darkseid. With all the metaphysical oomph that implies.

And Grayven-50 is so conquer-y that he crowned himself ruler of a entire civilization, and has just gotten through pounding another civilization into dust. And he has all the military force used in that campaign at his immediate command.

And he's fighting... a person who has baseline-human strength who's special ability is that he can escape from stuff.

Yeah, sorry but I think I'm going to bet on mister "I can turn your head into a salsa dish with one punch" here.

boo600, Vorian, Ngamer11 and 7 others like this.
  24. Ace Dreamer

Ace Dreamer Questioning The Nature of our Realities

You might want to think of Freedom as a conceptual power - so, does it include escaping from dangerous situations?

Prince Charon, Cuchulin and RGFJ like this.
  25. The Vale

The Vale Know what you're doing yet?

Is this Grayven still emotionally crippled thanks to the anti-life exposure? I was never clear on if that was fully healed or just filled in with a stopgap kind of deal made of the emotional light he got exposed to at the time. Still hoping he gets a full rainbow array of power rings by the way.

Cuchulin and DrThoth like this.
  26. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

By not being Hal Jordan, who they didn't want to use...oh, you meant in-universe.

Apparently based on backfilling...it wasn't really a retcon, per se...from JL/JLU material John Stewart was "in another sector" when Abin Sur's ring chose Rayner in Universe 12 (also Katma Tui specifically refers to Stewart having sent Kyle to Oa for training at one point in an episode. Presumably Universe 50 had a similar timeline.

27. Buggy123

Buggy123 I trust you know where the happy button is?

You're right, Grayven-50 would win by a landslide if they actually fought, but Scott's power would help him avoid any such engagements.

Still though, if the fight happened It would probably be very one-sided. I wouldn't say that any of the Grayvens are underestimating their strength compared to Mister Miracle, unless his power is much stronger than we know and could make it effectively impossible for a fight like that to happen in the first place.

Prince Charon, Cuchulin and nobodez like this.
  28. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

They're heroes, they don't ACTUALLY THINK unless they're made to. All they do is pattern match; in this case, probably "evil guy on a killing spree".

Vorian, Prince Charon, warpcy and 5 others like this.
  29. Queshire

Queshire Not too sore, are you?

Conceptual freedom bullshit is a good opponent to conceptual conquest bullshit. Imagine: "I am free. Though my bones may be broken and my body bruised I will never be conquered." Well... That doesn't have the same snap to it as Zoat's technique names, but you get the idea. Hell, I'd buy Scott being able to debuff a Grayven in a fight.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
    BR549, Prince Charon, Ardy and 2 others like this.
  30. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

One thing I don't understand is why Grayven is being allowed to conquer shit as we know the Guardians have a dim view of it... I guess he isn't technically enslaving people thus he gets a pass?

Speaking of spotty enforcement of green lantern laws, when Paul went to Thanagar, Bleez says the aristocracy in her colony has slaves... How is that a thing when the Green Lantern policy is very much against that?