1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

You literally cannot Anti-Life Scott Free, but making a clone of him that's Antifreedom? Perfectly possible.

2. WaleXdraK

WaleXdraK Not too sore, are you?

If you are on a ios device (iphone, ipad) you can easily read most kind of invisitext by doing this:
    1)Create a marker on the webpage you are currently on.
    2) Go in your markers list and modify the Html of your new marker by writing this insteat:
    javascript:$(%22%5Bstyle*='transparent'%5D%22).attr(%22style%22,%20%22color%20:%20blue%22)
    3) rename the marker for easier use (mine is just invisitext)
    4) if you think there is invisitext just open your marker list and click on this new marker and it should reveal it (it doesn’t work on some kind of invisitext, but no problem with the one used by Mr Zoat)

DAT_NOOB likes this.
  3. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Mortalla might not be Grayven-50's mother.

Grayven's actual origin from the comics is that he was born and raised on another planet that Darkseid visited and didn't find out his parentage until his mother confessed on her death bed.

His motivation was to steal the Zeta Beam technology to take his fleet to Apokalips to conquer it because he's butthurt that his father literally doesn't know he exists.

So Zoat changed his parentage on Earth-16, fair enough, but Earth-50 doesn't run parallel to Earth-16 but Earth-12, unlike Earth Negative 14 that he made parallel to Earth-16.

So while there's every reason to believe that Negative 14 Grayven would be Mortalla's son, Earth-50's Grayven might have no relation to Mortalla here on Earth-50.

4. Threadmarks: Conqueror's Moon (part 18)
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugggghhhhh
    Darn it

I open my eyes even before I'm fully conscious, and realise that that probably wasn't the sensible thing to do. I'm… Lying in an open-top sarcophagus riddled with Apokoliptian technology. I… Can't move? No, I can a little, but I think that someone's.. turned the gravity up or something.

Good to hear from you again, Lantern Grayven.

I frown.

I've been taken prisoner and-

I look down and see that both rings, Mother Box… All my equipment is still in place.

-they left me with you?

These people aren't stupid. That means that either the mechanism they used to subdue you prevented them from removing them, or they consider them to be irrelevant.

Easy way to
    -

A vague yellow glow forms around my right hand, failing to form any sort of stable object.

-find out."

Curious.

I'd like a little more than that.

The strength of your constructs is based on-

The fear I inspire, I know.

-the fear you inspire is the most important factor, yes, but there are others as well. The fear you feel can be used. Indeed, it's necessary to form the initial connection, though constructs created purely using such fear are… Initially unreliable. As you learn to command your fears, they improve. But the ring will respond to general, background fears as well, providing you with a basic level of construct strength.

So what does that mean?

A sophisticated empathic barrier, most likely based on the 'soul power' of whichever New God has taken you captive.
    -
    I'm.. not.. feeling anything. And-. Hang on, if I'm cut off from emotions in some way, how are you still funct-? Wait, are you mentally sophisticated enough to have your own fears?

I can't make any direct comparisons to my former organic self, but I believe so.

Oh. Sh-shazbot. Look, if you want a physical body or something I can sort you out-.

Focus on the present situation, Lantern Grayven.

I can barely move. Can't use-. Ring?

A misty orange glow.

Can't use my rings. Mother Box?

P-ping?

She sounds pained, as if straining to 'ping' at me from a great distance away. I don't know if she can be repaired if whatever's happening here seriously damages her.

Mother Box, do something about this.. device if you can without damaging yourself. Otherwise, don't worry about it. Just remain calm.

Ping.

I try triggering the aero-discs in my boots. Nothing.

Hm.

"Giving up?" Give Up.

A man in black and purple walks into my field of vision from the side of the room. And it appears that I'm upright. The design of his costume is fairly close to what Scott wears, but I can't feel anything Anti-Lifey from him. Which means that he's hopefully not a mind-controlled Scott. Of course, I'm not feeling anything else

Hang on. Didn't he work for Solomon Grundy in the comics, when he tried to do… Something or other with Red Tornado?

"Doctor… Nobody, right?"

"Doctor Impossible."

"Really?" I frown. Wasn't he a Soon I Will Be Invincible character? Wouldn't that have caused a law suit? And where the heck did I get Doctor Nobody from? "Is there a reason why you're dressed like my brother?"

He regards me disinterestedly for a moment, before stepping back out of my visual range.

"You claim that Scott Free is your brother?" Helpless in my Power.

And there's.. me. Straighter hair than the Universe 16 version, and the armour is a little less ornate, but basically the same in appearance terms. His expression on the other hand… He's genuinely curious, whereas Grayven 16 went right to 'hostile' immediately.

"Yes. Yours too."

"Highfather's son is no brother of mine." He takes a step closer. "What are you? When I heard from the Thanagarians that they had encountered me on.. 'Earth', I had assumed that they were simply mistaken. I was prepared for an impostor, but you matched me. You're a New God." He turns his head to look in the direction Doctor Impossible walked in. "You see? I thought it unlikely that you would be the only one."

"The readings are inconclusive. He could be anything."

"Parallel universe, actually."

"Really." He gives me a closer look. "The face is different, but I suppose that your life has been somewhat different to mine."

"I'm also less proud of my abdominals than you are."

He seems mildly amused. "Have you lived around aliens for so long that you've picked up some sort of.. body-squeamishness?"

"Did you live around Father for so long that your first response to everyone is to demand that they kneel?"

"Father? Hardly. Now that Darkseid is dead, I see no reason to prevaricate. I lead, my followers follow. That is simply the way things will be." Mine is the Majesty!

"How limiting." Cultivate Excellence. "You're using Apokoliptian technology to augment their ships. Don't try and tell me that having them kneel isn't a part of the ritual binding you use to reinforce that connection."

"Very well; I won't. Gordanians have many valuable qualities, but they have no knack for spiritual communion."

"Is that why you wanted the thanagarians so badly? The Seven Devils certainly aren't around any more."

"No. That's why I want Earth."

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
  5. thebishop8

thebishop8 Umm, ackchyually...

Capitalize invincible.

Looks like Stsword called it; it's Doctor Impossible.

6. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Ha, Grayven 50 might as well kill himself. That would spare him the insanity that is Earth.

7. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

Oh, so the local Grayven was behind all the horseshit from last time Lantern Grayven came to this universe?

DAT_NOOB and Cuchulin like this.
  8. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Huh, probably one of the best ways to restrain someone without physics-breaking super-strength.

Ah, Best Ring is still with him.

Gross Violation of the Evil Overlord list!

Oh, that's not good. Emotion-damping is one of a Lantern's biggest weaknesses.

Ah, Ring-nestro. Best AI for snark.

Good explanation for how a rookie Yellow can operate.

Logical enough summation.

Good to see his consideration for something nominally happy being a ring.

Such compassion. Sounds like she's getting dampened down as much as the rings are.

Oh, hell. Stsword called it, right enough. The New God of restraint and confinement...

Both of those are such Silver Age names...

Oh, nasty combination of interrogation techniques.

So not quite as silly-looking. But still stupid.

So, he's aware of the existence of multiple universes... Or does he mean something related to Impossible? A human-born New God?

You... Could say that.

Lovely banter. Renegade's living up to his trolling reputation.

Huh, that probably would empower them, though it would likely impact their ability to operate independently... Unless he used trusted generals...

Ooooh, crap. He's looking to conquer the Fifth World...

This is turning out worse and worse. Earth-50 is particularly weakly defended right now, thanks to the Lords' foolishness. There's a good chance Grayven-50 could steamroll Humanity (probably at great cost) and end up with a ludicrously powerful army to expand outwards...

Thankfully very little Godspeech today... Colored by character...

9. AverusBlack

AverusBlack AKA Aisling

I'm not complaining, but todays post feels... kind of short. Huh.

10. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

And another group of bad guys that were handed the idiot ball...

Gilhelmi and Cuchulin like this.
  11. Imperator Pax

Imperator Pax Talon Master

*Graven admits to wanting Earth*
    OL Grayven *Nods* "Yep totally can agree there."

12. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Uhh... what? This is an interrogation (so he has to be conscious) by 2 villains, one whose entire New God domain is the ability to keep people captured, of a hero they already beat, who is tied up, can’t use his weapons, and was likely only allowed to keep them so that he knows he can’t use them. Or maybe so that he can’t use them to get himself out due to them not working. As OL pointed out, it’s weird they let him keep his gear, and they probably did it on purpose. Maybe they only have the one prison separated from outside emotion, and couldn’t put his gear in another, similar, prison due to technology restrictions.

boo600, zerofarad, Gilhelmi and 7 others like this.
  13. Queshire

Queshire Not too sore, are you?

Don't forget their god powers as well. You can't get much more conquered than being powerless despite having all your gear and weapons at hand. It could very well result in a stronger cage than if they were all removed.

14. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

"Disarm your prisoner because no safeguard is foolproof" is literally the most basic of basics.

More advanced is "destroy your prisoners weapons because that way if he escapes he would be powerless", but that would be asking for a bit too much badguy competence for a fanfiction.

NightmareWarden and Cuchulin like this.
  15. Old Knife

Old Knife Not too sore, are you?

Going off to get eaten by a random plot bunny of the week? Man. I don't envy this guy.

Gilhelmi, Prince Charon and Cuchulin like this.
  16. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

It’s not easy to destroy lantern rings, or mother boxes. They preety much did disarm him due to disabling his weapons, but also want him to know he’s disarmed and want him to lose hope of escape due to the fact that even though he has his weapons, he still can’t do anything. They want him to be conquered, and powerless to stop them, but also to know that he is. Since taking away a lantern ring is pointless without destroying it, as they’re easy to call back for competent lanterns, and possibly create holes in metal sheets, it’s best to let him keep it while it’s disabled anyways for the psychological / spiritual effect.

17. nick012000

nick012000 Gone for Good

I dunno. Renegrayven might be able to work something out - after all, there’s a difference between being a Space Conqueror super villain and a Space Conquerer superhero.

Arghonn likes this.
  18. King of Frost

King of Frost Wishing I was somewhere colder no doubt.

I'm gonna laugh if this is just Universe 50 Paul who had the same idea as Renegade at some point and now they're facing off all menacingly when they're both just thinking "Shit, alright, now I gotta make sure this absolute fucking psychopath doesn't do anything to Earth."

19. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

Y'know I was about to say that I'm begining to think this is another renepaul

20. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

The fact the Ophidian may no longer by trapped with Larfleeze (she refers to him in the past tense) may mean the local Paul of earth 50 may be having adventures in space and may have avoided earth because the local DC heroes were assholes. Would be funny if Paul-50 comes back to sector 2814 with an army of orange lanterns.

21. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    No, the other way around. He heard about it because the Renegade involved himself.

22. Zig

Zig Not too sore, are you?

Fairly unlikely seeing as 50 diverged from 12 more recently than Paul arrived on 12, so either 50 has no Paul, or it has Peter Wynne... who likely would have tried to stop the Lords butteflying large parts of the story.

23. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

I can't believe I never considered that Earth-50 should have its own iteration of the SI, given that the DCAU and the obscure pilot-DCAU both do. It would be sad if the Lords finished him off or lobotomized him during their tyrannical phase.

Background questions I had, that as far as I know haven't been addressed:

Way back in the prison break/New Year episode, Renegade told Barda "Welcome to the Fifth World" in God-speech. Was there any follow-up on that from her, Scott or anyone else? I'm not sure how aware the New Gods are of the reasoning behind the numbering of their world.

Does Renegade Scott Free know how to Awaken humans to become New Gods? Has he tried working it out from the scans he did of Renegade Awakening Zatanna and Artemis? Paragon Scott Free could possibly be working on the same thing since he should know about The Key, though I remember you replying that no-one was working on it in that timeline, which seems a shame (though I understand it's tricky to make the timelines distinctive enough to be interesting).

24. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Nth metal weapons can easily destroy lantern rings.

And Mother Boxes's aren't particularly sturdy.

And no, while taking away a lantern ring and keeping it in the next room is pointless. Taking away a lantern ring and dropping it on some random uninhabited planet half way across the universe via boomtube completely fucks the lantern over.

Cuchulin and Navi-Hank like this.
  25. Mr Zoat

Barda doesn't have a particularly good education. Highfather Izaya might have a reaction, but he and Renegade Scott don't have much to do with one another and he probably hasn't mentioned it.
    He hasn't ever done it himself, but has a rough idea how it works and could probably work it out.

Paragon Scott is back in semi-regular touch with Highfather

26. Queshire

Queshire Not too sore, are you?

Really? A boom tube half way across the universe? Sorry, but THAT would be holding the idiot ball for a god of conquest.

He has renegade in his power. To remove his weapons would say that he is still a threat. To remove his weapons, pause in his current conquest and flee his empire in order to deal with him... Well, probably not good.

Prince Charon, Ardy and Navi-Hank like this.
  27. Scholar of Time

Scholar of Time Master of Lurking

Paul's exponential weakness is bring shared through multiple parallel universes to the rest of his existences...or Mr. Zoat just felt it was good as is.

Navi-Hank likes this.
  28. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Flee? Why would he have to flee? He could literally just toss the rings through.

And no, removing Renegade's weapons would say Grayven wasn't an idiot. Because even conceptually speaking it's stupid since leaving Renagade's weapons leaves him hope. And people with hope can never be fully conquered.

29. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

Clearly, Zoat is the New God of Self-Inserts.

Bramble Thorn, Ngamer11, c3qo and 7 others like this.
  30. PDV

PDV Revelation That Uncertainty Is Itself An Answer

Well, can't fault his logic, I suppose.