1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Well, looks like we get to find out what happened with everyone's missions. <breaks out the Maltesers>

How Apokaliptian of him.
    Correction: 'any local laws'

Sensible. I see Kon's been picking up good habits.

How unsatisfying, no fighting at all. Bet Kon was bored.

At least Roulette didn't kidnap any superheroes... Yet.

Huh, that might have worked, honestly.

Keeping in mind that she's the original Mister Terriffic's daughter, she's likely inherited the man's multi-disciplinary skills...

A good question, unanswered all this time.

Yup, definitely picking up good habits. One way or another.

Ah, pregnant pauses...

Sounds like a cutthroat industry. Wouldn't be surprised if they discreetly siphon the petrol out at the end of the day.

Better than too fast, especially if the traffic is as bad as I suspect it might be.

One more thing for Arisia to add to her equipment list. Hope she's paying attention.

Wonder whether that happened in Renegade timeline. I bet it makes his position with the Chinese stronger.

Oneupmanship. Surprised she didn't add comfy cushions...

It's gonna get to the point he'll have to fix it without a Lantern, someday. Better he learns now.

Kon, asking the important questions.

And team four returns. Busy day for debriefs.

Ah, things went well, then? [/sarcasm];)

Copycats. As long as they don't wear silver face-shields and yell 'Cooobraaaaa!' as their battle cry, it should work out.

I shudder to imagine the situation there in Paragon timeline. Probably much worse than Renegade's.

Fun's over, time for paperwork! Even if it's not actually on paper...

Ah, jolly cooperation!

Good to see this part. It seem the missions went in this order of success, most to least: Team Kon; Team Kaldur; Team OL; Team M'gann. Am I right?

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
  2. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.
    point, without
    No, come on

None of them exactly went tits up. All of them have lasting problems.

3. Grimnar

Grimnar Versed in the lewd.

Oh? That black ops part is interesting. Is he undercover right now and removed from the list? It would be interesting if, not knowing OL has namedropped him, he comes back into action and responds to that request by contacting her.

That would open up an interesting series of questions.

4. Chojin Patriarch

Thank you, corrected. Typing with a wireless keyboard on crossed legs, it tends to bounce. And this computer's browser had no spellcheck, for some reason...
    (Fixed it now. Even using Proper UK English.)

Not sure if better or worse...:confused:

'Tits-up' probably not the best choice of words. Correcting it to 'success'. And nothing can be fixed in one afternoon, can it?

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
    Prince Charon likes this.
  5. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

While this could be considered valid if you stretch, any of "We caught them, and sent a number" or "We caught a number" (or "We caught them, sent a number" omitting "and" as dialogue style) would be more correct.

Navi-Hank likes this.
  6. PrinceJonathan

PrinceJonathan Versed in the lewd.

"What are you going to do?"

"I am going to throw the Sheeda at them."

*better idea*

"I'm going to throw a snake at them."

7. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

Hmm the next two chapters jump back to 2007. Which Team mission will they relate to?

As for this chapter: Ohh Canis, you old so-and-so! How in the world has the Team survived you so far?

Cuchulin, Ardy and DAT_NOOB like this.
  8. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

I’m still waiting for him and Angelica to hook up </3

9. Threadmarks: Elsewhen
    Mr Zoat

13th May 2007
    21:54 GMT -5:00

"Okay, I think that's about enough for this evening."

It's… Hard. Hard to take it off.

She obediently floats back down to ground level, the green flames that accompany the use of her-. Of Alan's ring, guttering as she does so.

The ring feels so… Right on her hand. And… More than that, more than its usefulness as a tool or a weapon, it represents a clean break from… Being a Crock. Becoming a Green Lantern. But whatever else it had involved, being raised a Crock had taught her patience. She'd kept up her end of the bargain with Alan, and he'd kept his. And more than that, more than these lessons, he'd introduced her to other superheroes. His old mostly retired friends, but also their students and allies. She'd met most of the Justice League. Two years, graduate from High School, and then… Anything.

She pulls the ring off her right ring finger and holds it out to him, and he takes it from her with a nod and a smile. And just like always she can't help but feel diminished by the absence, an impulse she ruthlessly quashes. She doesn’t just 'snatch and grab' anymore. She's building something, something solid and hers. Trusting people-. Some people. People of proven dedication to their cause.

Wonder Woman was… Nicer than she thought that she'd be. Friendly without prying too much. Of course, if she did decide to join the Justice League, they'd probably expect more than that. A full background report as part of the process. Wonder Woman might not have pressed her, but The Question certainly would.

But that was fine. Whatever it took. She didn't intend to let the suspicions her father beat into her control her life.

"You wanna fly home, or do you need bus fare?"

The first few times they'd trained like this, she hadn't wanted to come to the training area with him or leave with him. She said that it was because it wasn't secure, and that was… Partially true. But more than that, she hadn't wanted to have to rely on him.

Not any more.

She nods. "Fly."

Alan smiles and holds out his right hand. She's suggested that he should try and avoid telegraphing his intent like that, but he just shrugged and claimed to be too old to learn new tricks. It's-.

Something catches her eyes and she looks up, focusing on… A tiny green dot, rapidly approaching them through the air. Alan spots it a moment later, frowning as he does so.

"Is that Hal? I wonder what he wants?"

Jade hopes that it's Hal. He has a serious military demeanour and as such was far easier to deal with than the abrasive idiot who served as his-.

It's not a Lantern. It's a ring, without-.

"Jade Scott of Sector Two Eight One Four. You have the ability to overcome great fear."

In a daze, she holds out her right hand, the ring floating towards her to replace the one she just returned to her mentor.

"Welcome to the Green Lantern Corps."

A green corona envelops her, a thin layer like Hal and Gardner have rather than the burning plume like Alan has. Her uniform, based on what Alan wears, shimmers for a moment as the ring tried to create a standard Corps uniform. She stops it-.

"Jade Scott, huh?"

Oh.

That.

"It beat the alternatives." She takes a breath to center herself and regards the ring. "Ring, which of this Sector's Lanterns died?"

"Green Lantern Guy Gardner of Sector Two Eight One Four has been critically injured and will be unable to perform his duties for an indeterminate period of time. This ring was dispatched to select a replacement."

That's… Good. She didn't like him but that didn't mean that she wanted him dead.

"Is he in a hospital?"

The-. Her ring doesn't answer Alan's question. Alan's ring doesn't talk and can't answer questions. The only time when Hal managed to get the better of him when they sparred was when he let his ring do his thinking for him.

"Ring, state current location of Lantern Gardner."

"Lantern Gardner is presently located in The Johns Hopkins Hospital."

"What's wrong with him?"

"Traumatic brain injury. Broken right forearm. Fractured right shoulder. Broken jaw. Broken ribs. Numerous bruises and lacerations."

Alan creates a brick wall construct around them.

"Hal said a lot of Lanterns die in the first few minutes because whatever killed the last Lantern comes after them."

She shakes her head. "Because they follow the ring. This ring didn't come from Lantern Gardner."

"Still, it's a green glow. We should be ready just in case."

She doesn't reply that she's always ready. She suspects that he knows about the knives, but if he hasn't felt the need to draw attention to them then she won't either.

"What happened to him?"

A moment of silence-.

"Answer him."

"Lantern Gardner was struck by a motor vehicle. The driver contacted the medical services. Lantern Gardner was not involved in combat at the time."

Hit.. by a.. car? He can't have been wearing his ring. Or looking both ways.

"Is my appointment provisional?"

"No. As of accepting this ring, you are now a Green Lantern of Sector Two Eight One Four."

"Are there any matters in this Sector which require my immediate attention?"

"No."

"Do the Guardians have any orders for me?"

"No specific orders on file. Standing orders are that newly chosen Green Lanterns should report to Oa for basic training."

She lowers her right hand. "I don't need it."

Alan chuckles, then bows his head slightly. "We've covered the basics, Jade. The rings the Corps hands out have a whole bunch of functions that my ring doesn't."

"You checked what Green Lantern Corps basic training involves when you started training me. We've covered most of it. I can use this ring's archives to learn the rest."

She clenches her right fist and floats into the air.

"Besides, I have school on Monday."

"Spatial warp to Oa-."

"No."

"Spatial warp suspended."

She smiles faintly at the idea of willing her ring into submission.

"Let's go and show Artemis my new ring."

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
  10. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Late correction from the previous part. It should be "an alien".

Should be "Nicer than she thought that she'd be".

How did The Question become a member of the League?

11. thebishop8

thebishop8 Umm, ackchyually...

*raised

Missing a beginning quotation mark.

For those who don't remember, this is a continuation of the alternate Jade from these two chapters at the end of episode 74:

https://forum.questionablequesting....stice-si-story-only.8961/page-63#post-2663074

https://forum.questionablequesting....stice-si-story-only.8961/page-63#post-2663075

12. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

Thanks!

ChestBurster, Gilhelmi and Bigreader like this.
  13. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

Oh, I loved this update so much. I got goosebumps.

Maybe "expect more than that"?

ChestBurster, Wheenesss, c3qo and 2 others like this.
  14. Chojin Patriarch

But the will needed to do so is important. So, an Alt-Jade interlude? haven't seen those for a while.

A much better fate than YJ Canon, much less Earth-1 Canon.

Given that she's proved herself as a hero, I don't foresee anyone other than Batman and the Question complaining.

Understandable given her origins. But telling that she's changed.

I'm assuming he's in his nineties, kept young by the Ring. To be honest, this situation is probably good for him. Gives him something to focus on living for.

Heheh. Guy not making a good impression on her, eh?

Oh-ho! ... Wait, who died?

'Based on Alan's', eh? So, green tights, red tunic and black cape with green lining (or does she do the 'No capes!' thing). Colorful if nothing else. Wonder what the Guardians will think.

Sensible question to ask, given the usual cause of a Ring's transferring ownership.
    Correction: 'to center herself' I think? Centre is a location, center is the act.

Ah, that incident. So by the time the Team forms, Jade will be a senior member, if not a mentor.

Hmm, Wonder if she could ask her ring to repair Alan's. Or would it refuse due to some statue of the Book of Oa?

Hope she plans to assist with that. Assuming she thinks to do so.

She has a point. Guy left the ring at home when this happened. Bet there's a small hole in his house.

I see he's been learning from her, regardless of what he said.

Still ridiculous. If I had a power ring or equivalent, it'd likely never leave my finger.

Oh, my. Replacing John Stewart in the line of succession. Alan's training must have come in handy. Oh, the guardians are just gonna love her...:V

No need for that here. I suspect she'd teach the other rookies some dirty tricks Kilowog would hate (or at least claim to, then incorporate into his curriculum.)

Confident. Like any new Lantern. It's not going to be fun when she gets that confidence tested.

Ha! Teen Lantern, eat your non-existent heart out. Seriously, what the hell, DC?

Oh, the Guardians are going to notice that. I bet a visit from Hal will be incoming.

Sibling rivalry, ha! Bet Artemis isn't going to take kindly to this...

This was a fun chapter. Empowering sequences like this always are. And the fact it's Jade? Even better. I bet she's more of an irritant to the Guardians than Hal is.
    (Was going to have more corrections, but you guys are damn fast!)

15. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    In this timeline the Waynes were never murdered. Bruce Wayne never became Batman. When the Justice League formed it managed without him, but over time they found that the lack of an obsessive-compulsive investigator hampered their operations in complex cases. Thus, the Question got fingered.
    Thank you, corrected.
    Thank you, corrected.
    Sadly, Jade lacks the knowledge required to do that.

16. Old Knife

Old Knife Not too sore, are you?

How old is this jade?
    How long has she been training with Alan? Why did he select her?
    I'll admit I'm quite curious about this.
    I'm not sure I want another alt-story plot though.

dogbertcarroll likes this.
  17. Mr Zoat

Jade was born in 1991, so 16ish.
    Where I'm going with this becomes clear tomorrow.

18. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Hit by a car. Yeah even superheroes aren't immune to this random bullshit.

19. Simonbob

Simonbob Really? You don't say.

This Jade, meeting up with her old man again, well, that'll be interesting.

I wonder how proud of her he'd be?

Wheenesss, Prince Charon and Cuchulin like this.
  20. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Bus, probably, since that's what it was in the comics.

And Ch'p was killed by a truck.

Apparently the true nemesis of the Green Lantern Corps is drivers who don't pay attention.

21. Aeess

Aeess I trust you know where the happy button is?

They probably executed him at that point, that was why she told Alan about him in the first place.

22. Radiant Knight

Radiant Knight Phoenix Fire

Obviously Green Lanterns are just getting isekai'd into other settings.

23. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

Clearly! After all everyone knows that's what Truck-kun does.

24. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

Actually, while the correction is correct, it's for a different reason. This isn't location/act, it's British and American English. 'Centre' is British English; 'Center' is American English. But a lot of places in America use 'Centre' in their name because it's all fancy-sounding.

As an American, Jade wants to sell out and settle down would use 'center' for both the location and the act.

25. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Don’t forget driver-kun, the real hero.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

26. Mr Zoat

Truck-kun is no laughing matter. Bastard killed my grandfather.

27. Sceptic

Sceptic Critical Irrationalist

Lewd!

28. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

"I didn't know you were into that."

"Ex-girlfriend."

29. Belenus

Belenus Versed in the lewd.

That's very sad, but I hope he got the harem isekai he always dreamed of.

30. Mr Zoat

I very much doubt that a man of my grandfather's generation would dream about something like that.