1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Eponymic

Eponymic Getting sticky.

Accurate?

2. TheMidnightRook

TheMidnightRook Well worn.

Gonna admit, Kim Possible immediately came to mind.

3. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

No, unpleasant and intense works.

4. Eponymic

Eponymic Getting sticky.

Apologies, I'm not great with the vernacular, thanks for the etymology lesson though. I'll be sure to double-check in the future.

5. Siiracai The Supernal

Siiracai The Supernal Shadows and Balance

6. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

I'm not holding my breath, but in DC's Young Heroes in Love, it was established there is an entire clan of people with the inherent ability to play with portals.

Offramp was limited to portals between two points in space, at least until he got older at which point he was able to drive to the 853rd century and see Superman's return.

Another Traveller, if memory serves, said something along the lines of not only being able to open portals between time and space, but between reality and unreality and life and death to boot.

Whether any one of them travels through time and space and different universes in a police box is sadly unrecorded....

Cuchulin, Ardy and Vorian like this.
  7. Massgamer

Massgamer Not too sore, are you?

Feel kinda bad for GA, on edge and working hard to prove to others and himself that he deserves to be on League.

8. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Surprised how popular that series still is for Rule 34 stuff.

dogbertcarroll and Cuchulin like this.
  9. FreeGod

FreeGod If you see a God on the road fuck it!

At their level looks should be a lifestyle choice.

10. Threadmarks: Bended (part 8)
    Mr Zoat

2nd March
    15:12 GMT

I carefully didn't react when I received the notification via my transceiver. Starting in Star City. Hm. I wonder if that's because they want to score an early 'kill' and think Mr Queen's a weak link..? The tech sector in Star City is reasonably well developed. A successful 'theft' there will give the villain team a reasonable number of 'tech points', and the place is lightly defended compared to a military installation. So that could be the sole reason. The Star City zeta tube is also a good distance away from it, so unless one of the League members with enhanced speed heads that way Mr Queen will be dealing with it on his own.

Batman stopped checking up on my recent activities after Mr Hol and Mr J'onzz agreed that it was blatant metagaming. Reluctantly agreed, but… Yes. The knowledge that something is going to happen today is more than meta enough. They're basically limited to looking at 'anomalous' reports, which does somewhat include me. I gave them a bye on that, because there are only so many 'available in the wild' ways to look for these things. I haven't told them what resources the villain started with because they wouldn't know that, and villains in reality can start with all sorts of infrastructure under their control. Possibly something I can refine for next time; some sort of trade off between potential data leaks and expansiveness?

The Sivanas' GM devices are recording everything that happens, but only feeding back to the villain side the things that they 'actually' report back. The mookbots will have to manually radio sightings of Green Arrow -or whoever else turns up- back to base in order for the villains to 'know' that he's responding rather than local police.

Local police very much can involve themselves, as I felt that that incentivises League members to improve their relationships with other law enforcement groups. There has to be some reward for not being a complete iconoclast. Mr Queen's relationship with the police was… Pretty neutral before he joined the League. He'd been around for long enough that he had a working relationship with some officers, but there wasn't anything official in place. Even now, his relationship isn't as good as Batman's is with the Gotham police.

I look through the hull in the direction of Mr Queen. I know him well enough that I can… Sort of home in on h-.

Really? He's worried that I'm singling him out? I might need to talk to him about that.

With none of the Green Lanterns around I should be able to scan the area without giving the game away. But perhaps…

I raise my right hand to my forehead and

relocate

to the Watchtower's garden before taking a closer look.

Mr Queen appears to have taken it slowly, well done him. He's carefully picked his way around the outer sentries, and… No, the villain side has only used basic mookbots for this. A 'local gang', they aren't particularly good at what they do, but they can't really leak much information either. Though… Yes, one nasty surprise to go with the low power plasma weapons standing in for conventional firearms. Mr Queen only has basic armour and there isn't all that much bullet-resistant cover around. If he starts taking hits he'll be eliminated quickly, which is a problem for him because he's wearing green in a city during the day.

He takes an arrow out of his quiver for each sentry… He hasn't checked whether they're robots or not, but that would be fairly hard for him to do. The gas rounds he's using won't work but they will 'work', as they would work on the people these mookbots are pretending to be. There's an explanation of that written on a note attached to their chests, just in case he gets curious about that.

He checks their positions carefully. He doesn't have the sort of drones or deployable monitoring devices I know Batman would use in a situation like this, but with his heavier 'primary' equipment load and lack of an arrow car it probably wouldn't be practical for him to include that sort of stuff. He's carefully checking wind speed and direction…

He looses, some shots fired upwards in an arc and others fired directly. He's moving the moment the last has left his bow, heading for a third storey balcony on the building which the mookbots are 'ransacking'. He stops to check that the sentry there is out and starts briefly when he sees the mookbot's face-.

And promptly backpedals because he's seen that the flesh is synthetic and that means it couldn't possibly have been knocked out by the gas. Ring, trigger 'accurate' description on Mr Queen's GM device.

Compliance.

It's not a lot, just a message saying that the mookbot is supposed to look like a living human mook and as far as he can tell is behaving like one. He might end up believing that that's supposed to be a trick, but there's not really that much I can do about that.

He checks its neck. What's he-?

"Can I feel a pulse?"

The GM system is adaptable enough to handle basic enquiries. The result is a bit like a text-based adventure game for the blind, but it'll be able to describe the mookbot's condition without much difficulty. I wonder if he'll have trouble separating in-game knowledge from out-of-game knowledge? No, he.. appears to be accepting it and taking the mookbot's hoodie in order to give himself a degree of camouflage. He chuckles for a moment as he spots the written explanation, then dons the hoodie and hides and zip ties the recumbent mookbot. Then he moves on, checking for a camera and then applying a small electromagnetic disruptor to the key card reader in order to gain access to the building.

He's handling it well so far, but these mookbots are acting on the most basic level. They're not really the challenge here.

Alert.

Other locations are coming under 'attack', in places with no Justice League presence. Mr McCulloch will be leading one or two, in the company of 'pro' mookbots. Unless the security systems in those places are very good at their jobs, those will result in a far higher level of successes while leaving a clear indication of who is carrying out the thefts and what they're trying to acquire. As well as giving more information about who could be behind it: anyone carrying out thefts like this is clearly unable to acquire what they want legally, either due to outstanding warrants or lack of funds. Technically it's the latter in this case and the boss wasn't ever actually charged with any crimes, though that's a very technical 'technically' and I suspect that I'm going to get a few glares over this.

Interestingly, the League don't officially know about Mr McCulloch. I don't remember what happened to Mr Scudder in the comics -if I ever even knew- but the last time anyone saw him the equipment he was carrying was wrecked and he was plunging deep into the Mirror Universe. 'Missing, presumed planning to return when you least expect it'. Might be worth spending the time to try and get him out, but Mr McCulloch made it pretty clear that he thinks his predecessor went more than a little crazy in his efforts to understand the Mirror Universe and he himself has stuck to the practical aspect.

Practical as far as villainy is concerned. Not practical in the sense of making money, which would involve him offering legitimate services, or…

I wonder how it interacts with fibre optics-?

Oh dear, is that Mr Queen's 'street' accent? The mookbots probably won't react immediately -not all members of a gang know each other well- but that isn't going to last. Especially-.

Ah. He's removing the arrowheads and using the delay fuses to turn them into mines, clever. Probably got that idea from Red Arrow. The hostages… Are bad actors, and a couple of them are really hamming it up, and one has realised that the people holding them are robots and is trying to talk to the person controlling them about an operating licence. That can be part of my follow up. And… I should mention it to Sivana Senior. I don't think that he'll be… Excited or anything, but his tacit acknowledgement that things have changed might let me encourage Thaddeus Junior and Georgia over to the neutral side after the sheeda are dealt with.

He steps around a corner, slips on a gas mask and triggers the mines. Mookbots look around, their sensors detect the aerosol and cause them to collapse. Too quickly to get off a warning, though the thump… No, the mookbots in other parts of the building who are in hearing range briefly look up but then return to their tasks. The hostages are also unconscious, but that was really unavoidable. Mr Queen nips back in and disarms and zip ties the mookbots. He checks one of the weapons and notes the 'THIS IS AN UZI' sticker with a degree of amusement. He takes the time to remove the battery units and throw them into one of the bins, so that if the mookbots 'wake up' then they won't immediately be able to activate their weapons.

Having rendered the hostages unconscious he can't ask them for information, but he is able to call up a floor plan on his computer. Two exits, both guarded by people expecting an attack from the outside. This is -on the face of it- well within his abilities.

I give him half an hour.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
  11. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Hm. Ollie is doing well so far, but the GM system is in danger of turning this too much into a game, imo.

As any DnD player can tell you, seperating ingame and outgame knowledge and keeping yourself from meta-gaming is not at all simple.

Edit: Also, what does Iconoclast mean in this context?

12. thebishop8

thebishop8 Umm, ackchyually...

Should that be "don't react"?

13. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    Doesn't work with anyone, including the police.

14. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

Not surprising, despite the crap he gets for being kind of a second rate Batman with a fixation on Robin Hood the man isn't at all incompetent when it comes to being a "Super Hero".

15. thebishop8

thebishop8 Umm, ackchyually...

Also, Tzeentch already mentioned this, but Doctor Snart mentioned that Sam Scudder had been around recently:

16. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Ah, switching between League members in the field, and OL's DM-style oversight. This will be interesting.

Sign of a good DM: Thinking about to to let the the players enjoy the 'boring' parts of a quest.

Sounds like something he needs to work on. A note on the after-action report, perhaps.

Bit of a persecution complex, eh?

Some privacy for a deep delve, eh?

Maybe if it were a dark green. Not the best urban camouflage. I mean, Batman at least sticks to dark greys and blues.
    Correction: 'nasty surprise to'

The Arrowcar's probably in mothballs. He's past the point of copying Batman by now, surely?

Ah, the equivalent of passing a note between DM and player...

And he sent a note back! Ha!

Slick, but flawed. A Hoodie is only going to go so far to hide his gear, and I suspect he's a bit older than the typical gangsta.

He's got all this planned out, hasn't he? Well, beyond the minimum needed.

Sensible, but risky. What with the predatory native lifeforms and all.

Likely not well...

Heh, it would likely work, if their father doesn't et upset over their legitimate financial success. He's still be proud, though.

Eminently sensible. Don't want them coming after him if they do wake up too soon.

Heh, kind of says a lot about both OL's estimate of Ollie's skills, and the extent of said skills.

Now, to see how well the other heroes are doing... Wonder how many of the other sites are getting attention...

17. Mr Zoat

Lenny doesn't actually know who sent him the cake. Canonically, a lot of people pretended to be Scudder after his death.
    Thank you, corrected.

18. Z3r0Sama

Z3r0Sama Not too sore, are you?

Any "normie" who lasts as long as he has, has to be good.

19. FreeGod

FreeGod If you see a God on the road fuck it!

Or have large amounts of plot armor.

Prince Charon, DJK and DrThoth like this.
  20. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey I trust you know where the happy button is?

For the third war game he should pull a Dr. Who gambit and just imply that he's doing certain stuff so the JL think they've been beaten when he actually didn't do anything.

Buggy123, Booksnake, Cuchulin and 2 others like this.
  21. Z3r0Sama

Z3r0Sama Not too sore, are you?

Then Batman has the most since some of his PIS is ridiculous.

22. Gantradies

Gantradies Not too sore, are you?

if he ever wanted, he could kill them all. it'd be...easy, for him....

DAT_NOOB, nobodez, Cuchulin and 3 others like this.
  23. Mr Zoat

BATPIS.

24. Projectile

Projectile Know what you're doing yet?

Heh, I had to double take at “slips on a gas mask and triggers the mines.” Was terribly confused why a mask was on the ground; This isn’t the time for pratfalls, Ollie, you have a job to do!

Ohh, his face, that makes more sense.

25. iamnuff

iamnuff Connoisseur.

I had to read this post like three times just to understand what you meant.

'slips on a gas mask' like he's slipping on a banana peel. Huh.

26. Siiracai The Supernal

Siiracai The Supernal Shadows and Balance

Just waiting for things to spiral out of control so that we can all cackle maniacally.

27. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

To confirm his fears by showing him that yes you are singling him out? :p

28. SotF

SotF And Away We Go!

Ollie does tend to also have better people skills than Bruce does in most universes.

29. SirKaid

SirKaid Know what you're doing yet?

He isn't, though? GA is worried that OL is specifically targeting him in a "cull the weak" or "easy targets first" sort of way, whereas the truth is that GA just happened to be "lucky" enough to run into an attack first. OL isn't even running the show at this point.

Ngamer11, Prince Charon, Ardy and 2 others like this.
  30. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

manually report