1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

As Zoat stated (last week?) this scenario is supposed to end with
    the Justice League winning, but with half of them “dead” and a large portion of the world destroyed.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2019
    Gilhelmi, Ngamer11 and Navi-Hank like this.
  2. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

That's.. not.. quite what I said.

Bramble Thorn, Buggy123 and Gilhelmi like this.
  3. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Close enough. I may have exaggerated.

4. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

I will give an applause if he can make the YJ more competent than the JLA cartoon one.

The comics one... Oh my God the comics one.... they are beyond hopeless. Any decent IT and segurity guy would tear them TWO new assholes.

Buggy123, Gilhelmi, Ardy and 3 others like this.
  5. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

I mean, in an episode of JLU, almost every female member was successfully mind-controlled for what seems like longer than a few days, including Wonder Woman, so clearly they’re also dropping the ball a bit in terms of security checks. The Earth-12 League will at least be upgrading their competence in this story thanks to consulting their iteration of the SI (and in Doylist terms, being written by Mr Zoat and not by writers subjected to the practical and logistical concerns of writing for a long-running cartoon).

6. Mr Zoat

To be fair the women in question only disappeared for a few hours a day (which they forgot) and were otherwise normal. And there were only... Five of them?

7. Flux Casey

Flux Casey The Colonel

Please please please please please let this scenario play out this time. I need to see this!

8. Zig

Zig Not too sore, are you?

Not just HAM, he's metagaming it by trying to figure out who OL talked to to set it up, totally awesome.

Ardy, Gilhelmi and DAT_NOOB like this.
  9. Siiracai The Supernal

Siiracai The Supernal Shadows and Balance

Can anyone give me the link to the time when OL was trying to train a bunch of Greenies before leaving the Sol system? I can't find it, and I don't want to scroll through all of the threads across three forums °~°

DAT_NOOB likes this.
  10. Aeess

Aeess I trust you know where the happy button is?

It begins here is it in the story only thread and here on the regular thread.

dogbertcarroll and Gilhelmi like this.
  11. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

There is literally dozens of way of mind controlling or puppeting someone body.

Now the most glaring point of failure on the comics league is that communicators and devices that let Leagues enter the Watchtower ages ago still work even if the person is no longer a member of the league. And that KEEPS FUCKING HAPPENING!

Is hard to create an Injustice League. Is way easier to find a former member of the League, disable them and then use their Justice League communicator to either spy on the League or enter the Watchtower and bobby trap it.

Buggy123, Ngamer11, DrThoth and 2 others like this.
  12. Norgarth

Norgarth Making the rounds.

I think it's obligatory to post this in this sort of situation::p:D

13. Gilhelmi

Gilhelmi Know what you're doing yet?

I love Plastic man, one of the more critically underused comic relief characters, whose investigatory talents are also underused.

I am hoping we get to see more of him. But I am nervous about what happened to Green Lantern Jade suddenly happening to our Paul and Jade during the exercise. I really hope that happens after this is all done because I want to see this play out.

Buggy123, Ngamer11, DAT_NOOB and 4 others like this.
  14. Siiracai The Supernal

Thank you.

15. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

Mirror Master is clearly intended as a minion, despite his experience, and OL clearly said there's a villain in this scenario. I'm going to predict that the villain will either be a mortal without superpowers (or a personalized super-gadget) or some obscure character that no one has ever heard of. I could be wrong, but OL has associated with such individuals quite a few times.

Another prediction- the villain is going to be a problem that cannot be solved by face-punching. One way to accomplish this would be to ensure that the villain cannot be linked to any crime going on in the scenario. Oh sure, someone in the league will know they're responsible, it just can't be proved before law enforcement.

Aww man, just thought of a fun idea for if Grayven was running such a scenario: the president is the villain! Dear lord, confronting such a scenario would be teeth-wrenchingly painful for the heroes! Too bad OL doesn't have a connection like Grayven does.

Hmm. I wonder if Paul is going to use this scenario to uncover any suspected conspiracy that is beyond his authority to investigate. Heroes have a tendency to stumble upon villainous cults and crimes in the nick of time after all.

Buggy123, Ngamer11, Cuchulin and 6 others like this.
  16. hkim

hkim Know what you're doing yet?

Man, I'm actually really looking forward to seeing how this plays out. Paragon is fun again!

Cuchulin and DAT_NOOB like this.
  17. Threadmarks: Bended (part 7)
    Mr Zoat

2nd March
    10:02 GMT -5

Ollie nervously confidently checked his surroundings once more before stepping out from behind the aircon unit and tiptoeing striding purposefully towards the next building.

Yeah, okay. He was a big enough guy to admit that after last year's report cards he wanted to put in a good performance. And he figured that Paul was probably… Probably above deciding to break his own rules to prove his score right. But it wasn't like he ever fooled himself into thinking that he could handle the same sort of punishment some of the big guys and gals on the League could. And Paul did seem like the kind to treat everyone 'fairly'.

Bats was still on the Watchtower, going through every bit of info he could get his hands on with J'onn and Katar. He'd told everyone else to head home and 'be ready', because the easiest way to get data would be for someone to walk into an attack Paul's 'Villain Team' had set up. He wondered for a moment whether there actually was a villain team, or if he'd.. just.. gotten...

Would Arte have told him if he'd roped her into it?

Maybe?

He checked the quiet-sounding rooftops and streets of Star City once again, trying to remember if there'd been anything off about the way she'd been acting lately. No, no, nothing… Stuck out. But Paul knew a whole lot of people, so it probably wasn't the team. If only because the whole League actually knew stuff about the team and there's no way Paul would give anyone an edge like that.

Huh. Okay. Whoever the boss bad guy was, he wasn't going to be able to just… Teleport a whole gang to anywhere, right? Teleporters like that took a whole lot of power. Icon did a lecture on it that one time. Easy enough to power someplace like where he came from, not so easy on Earth. And if Paul knew anyone with a power source like that, he'd… Heh. He'd have already dragged them to KordTech.

Nothing much happening on the streets, though a couple of people spotted him and waved. He waved back distractedly warmly, without losing any of his hawk-like concentration. Nothing sneaking up on-

He reached back and took the goggles Roy got him off the clip on his quiver and held them up to his eyes.

-him.

Another check, and no problem. Roy was pretty clear that there was some stuff it wouldn't show, but it was supposed to see through most types of invisibility tech. Nothing invisible, nothing-.

His communicator chimes, and he raises his right arm to press the 'respond' button.

"Green Arrow. Go."

"There's a break-in in progress in the Platinum Flats district."

He instinctively glances in that direction as Batman gives him the address. No sirens yet

"Is it him?"

"Does it matter?"

Well… Kinda.

He starts running, plotting the route across the rooftops which will get him there fastest. He may not be Batman -and Star City sure isn't Gotham- but he's been patrolling around here long enough to know his way around. If this is some random thief trying to make his Saturday morning a little lively, then this is going to be a cinch. If it's something Paul set up, then there's going to be more to it than that. Which could happen anyway, but it's guaranteed now.

"Any progress working out what he's up to?"

"He visited a wide variety of tech companies, as well as government and military officials and people publically known to be associated with League members. Presumably, he sought their permission to involve them in today's events."

"That narrow it down at all?"

"Not enough to tell me what the plan is. The range of technologies these companies are working with is too large for me to be able to narrow it down."

"No ideas at all?"

"I suspect that Orange Lantern will attempt to create a narrative of escalating intensity, but we can't rely on it. He's set this up so that even he can't predict exactly what will happen."

So a guy who once turned the moon around can't exactly predict what the villain-.

"You don't think he got an actual villain, do you?"

"The location of each of his known criminal associates has been accounted for. Except for the Sivana family."

He nearly misses effortlessly makes a jump.

"Sivana? Marvel's mad scientist?"

"Three members of the family are completely sane. And the younger children have never been independently psychologically assessed."

"That's reassuring. Okay, you get back to it. I'll let you know when I'm there."

"Remember to try and recover any evidence you can. This will be part of something bigger."

"Got it, Bats. Green Arrow out."

Hm. Canary or Red around? Because if Paul set up a challenge for the three of them and there was only one

"Green Arrow to Pretty Bird. You wouldn't be anywhere near-" And roll "-Platinum Flats, would you?"

"Black Canary to Robin Hood, no, I'm in Gotham."

Someone had to cover for Bats. "You drew the short straw?"

"Rock beats scissors. Roy's in Middleton. Looks like you're going to have to handle whatever this is on your own."

"I've been doing this eleven years. I think I can handle a break-in."

"Ollie… If Orange Lantern has decided to throw something big at you, just pull back-."

"Yeah, I remember Ivo's and.. roid..."

No. No, he wouldn't.

"Ollie?"

Would he?

"I was just-. Yeah, I got it." The computer strapped to his arm bleeps, and he sees that the silent alarm has just been forwarded to him. The company wasn't one he recognised. Consolidated Applied Sciences, which… Could mean anything.

Which meant that Paul could justify the villain team finding just about anything there.

He could phone the manager and 'check' that Paul got permission to use the place. But.. that would kinda be cheating and a sign of desperation. Okay, the building is a little way that way, but-.

He stops behind the roofline, ducking down as he sees what he assumed to be a lookout on one of the nearby buildings.

Okay, yeah, that makes sense. A few guards on the outside, ready to call down if they spot something. And they probably report in regularly so knocking them out before they can say anything isn't gunna cut it. Need to find out exactly how many there are, then pull off some quick indirect shots…

He winced. Those were never easy. But it was doable.

He takes another quick look. No, no gas mask. A near miss with one of the stronger mixes would work fine. Try to be close to one to pick up their radio, try and work out how well organised they were. And he was also kinda interested in who Paul roped into doing this.

He worked his way across the roof, careful to stay out of sight before dropping down a fire escape and heading around the block in an approximate circle around the CAS building. Tricky, but definitely doable.

As he spotted a second lookout he couldn't help but wonder if he was missing something.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2019
  18. thebishop8

thebishop8 Umm, ackchyually...

Ooh, alternative PoV's for this episode?

*though instead of through

19. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Oh-ho, a non-OL update? I suppose it's necessary to provide on-the-ground perspective.

Good summary of the initial plan. Unfortunately, it doesn't account for the possibility of a Leaguer dying... No, knowing Batman, it probably does.
    Correction: 'and Katar.'

'Arte'? Not ringing a bell. No, wait! Artemis. Took a second.

Goes to show, Ollie isn't a complete idiot. He is actually a smart guy (having created most of his own trick arrows,) he's just never applied it much.

Properly paranoid, too. Looks like Ollie's taken a lot of OL's criticisms to heart.

Ah, quest hook engaged. Let's see how he handles it.

Good point. Just because OL's running an exercise doesn't mean the crooks have taken the night off.

Yeah, knowing it's coming isn't going to help him be ready for it, regardless. I find it nice that he's not concerned about local thugs at all.

Of course, it would be rude to involve someone without permission. Also likely to be illegal, and OL doesn't want the League getting sued.

And they're still looking for the easy cheat. No way OL would make it so easy.

That depends on what you mean by actual... Well, we know what he means.

I like that that's enough to shake him a little.

So only Thaddeus Senior is classified as 'mad'? How amusing.

I doubt the challenges are specifically tailored for group or single. I expect all manner of contingencies.

Ha, familiar turf, I think?

So long? That means he got started in what, 2000?

So close, and yet so far. I expect he'll get extra paranoid when he takes down some mookbots.

Ah, DC. Painfully generic company names to avoid ticking off any real businesses... It even sounds shady.

Good to see he's choosing to play by the rules. After all, what reason would he have to check ahead? Besides the silent alarm...

Good to see his experience kicking in. He's probably seen this a hundred times.

Oh, is he in for a surprise...

Now, did the lookout spot him or not...

This is going to be fun, looking at OL and his plans through the League's eyes. Things are going to get crazy right quick as they second-guess themselves...

20. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    Darn it. The wiki misspells his name on the timeline.
    No comment on the infamous Dead Cat Arrow.

21. Grimnar

Grimnar Versed in the lewd.

Heh, he's got them bouncing at shadows.

22. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

Is it Platinum Flats or Platinum Heights? The two are rather distinct.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
  23. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

24. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

Funny how Olie though his way to the usefulness of a teleporter in this scenario and dismissed it because earth doesn't have the power generation to hook one of those to the power grid without causing a blackout.

Earth is bullshit Olie.

25. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Plus, in this fic OL has already introduced to the public an open source power source capable of powering a city. String a couple of those together and you can power a teleporter. Plus... they know the Sivanas are involved, and they know they can teleport.

26. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Hehe. Every JL member: Hellooo paranoia. Did you miss me?

ChestBurster and Jormuungaand like this.
  27. Steelplaza

Steelplaza Custom Title

They don't know the Sivanas are involved. Only that they are acquaintances of Paul and not yet ruled out.

28. Mr Zoat

Sort of.

The teleporter issue has been discussed by the Justice League, because there are obvious problems with the zeta tube network. Fixed end points are the big thing, but it's actually really expensive to set up and maintain. The best alternative would be a point to point teleporter like they use in Justice League Unlimited, but that requires a whole network of what are effectively spy satellites to be reliable globally and they aren't sure that the Security Council would sign off on it. The next best system does indeed use stupid amounts of power.

For a superheroes it isn't really practical to plan for every possible form of bullshit. You can only really plan for the fact that there might be bullshit.

29. Siiracai The Supernal

Arrow seems to have forgotten the fact that there are metahumans with teleportation abilities, as well as magic based teleportation existing. Of course, magic teleportation usually requires two connected points of concentrated mystic energy, whilst most teleporting metahumans need to have a line of sight or to have been where they are going at least once. Of course, if he roped someone with some ability that is similar into it (*cough* Mirror Master *cough*), then they cannot really predict the limitations of what the villains in the scenario can do.

Buggy123, Vorian, Gilhelmi and 3 others like this.
  30. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

Paranoia: "...You're one of Batman's associates, aren't you? I don't believe we've met, though. Are you sure your memories haven't been edited? Wait, what if mine were erased?"