1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

What? No, the Imperial Guard doesn't report to the Space Marines. In a given theatre, supreme command will usually go to the senior Chapter Master due to inter-branch seniority being determined by length of service, but that's unusual. The Imperial Guard uses soldiers who are individually far less dangerous than Marines, and uses a few million times as many along with better artillery and battle tanks.

The Imperium isn't capable of fielding enough Marines to do the job the Guard does, and after the Horus Heresy doesn't particularly want to.

[​IMG]

2. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Alright, I was under the mistaken impressions the Saxons were Roman. Turns out I was wrong. Thank you.
    Point still stands, with linguistic drift and comparing English to French / German according to your post. Also, Portland ponies weren’t isolated and are familiar with Middle East and Africa analogue countries, as well as Griffons, Dragons, and yaks. They weren’t an isolated country, and mass exoduses can often cause linguistic drift as well. While some of that may be explained by copying the Princess, she was still born hundreds of years post-exodus, meaning there should have been more of a change.

3. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

I was thinking more of if something goes catastrophically wrong and they need a special forces team on site, due to, say, genestealer invasion or something. Nukes aren’t enough and an infantry will just help the invasion.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2020
  4. Mr Zoat

I'm not sure what sort of invasion you're trying to describe. Ciaphas Cain and a few guardsmen have dealt with genestealer cults on several occasions. A thousand Space Marines wouldn't do much against a tyranid ground force. If I remember correctly, the standard way for Space Marines to attack tyranids is boarding their ships before they reach their destination and wake up their crews.

5. desolatedsabers

desolatedsabers Know what you're doing yet?

FFFUCKING GENESTEALERS!

in a serious sense though, as weird as the story's gone i'm still enjoying it. there's enough material to feel enjoyable, and just enough so that i feel like i want more rather then getting annoyed by the shift. still curious where this is going though.

6. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

The Imperial Guard has some level of rapid response forces and spec-ops units for dealing with situations that don't call for the wall of guns approach. The Stormtroopers (sorry....'Tempestus Scions' ) fill that, along with other units with specialties in specific types of warfare.

There are whole Drop Regiments for paratrooper deployment behind enemy lines, there are Armored Fist Regiments for mobility based infantry with close tank support. Siege and Artillery Regiments for cracking dug in forces. All sorts of things. In general the IG will likely call on Navy Assets for air superiority or tactical orbital bombardment for things that they can't handle with brute force.

They can make a request to the powers that be to get space marine support, but VERY seldomly do they integrate Astartes directly into operations as combined arms. Space Marines, unlike the Guard, seldom set up the level of supply lines or infrastructure for extended combat, as they're combat operations tend to be high intensity, short duration. The part that folks often forget about 40k Space Marines, is the 'Marine' aspect. They're ship based strike forces, rarely foot slogging when they can hop a Thunderhawk or Drop Pod to the front lines. They have an objective, they deploy rapidly, they engage, and then fall back.

Space Marines do not Hold Ground. You give them an objective, and you stand back and let them do what they're built to do.

Ardy likes this.
  7. Mr Zoat

No, no, you were right the first time.

8. Akshka

Akshka Wait, am I lost?

you really should they are fantastic

9. Someguy Somewhere

I got off the plastic crack in 4th ed, so I missed out on the Tome of the Retconian, AKA Patentus Friendlius Renamian.

Aeldar, Drukhari, Astra Militarum? Vlka Fenryka?!?

Thank Malal I left when I did.

Lupercal and Mr Zoat like this.
  10. TheMidnightRook

TheMidnightRook Well worn.

11. Someguy Somewhere

And more socially acceptable

12. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

Titanacoracy101 likes this.
  13. Tzeentch

Tzeentch I trust you know where the happy button is?

Aside from wiping out hundreds of scores of Orcs, daemons, beastmen, etc, I wonder what else Paol did that earned the good favor of so many important political figures in the Old World.

Improving the sanitation and architectural standards of Nuln and Altdorf, and Bretonnia as a whole?

Asteroid mining and giving a generous percentage of the precious minerals collected to the varied governments, in particular the dwarves?

As for the Asrai, what did he do to give their ambassador cause to have Paol shot on sight? Did he add any of the Wild Riders to his collection of orange-light ghosts as a way of punishing Athel-Loren for some grave offense that they gave him?

Lupercal and Ardy like this.
  14. Redhawk

Redhawk Getting out there.

Very much so, yes.

15. Threadmarks: Equestrian Guise (part 8)
    Mr Zoat

Probably
    mid-afternoon by now

Scrivener passes plain clay cups filled with what smells like blackcurrant tea to Sunset and I, while Lightning Dust is walking around the large yurt and looking at things.

"Ask her why aren't there more unicorns?" Lightning Dust looks around with a raised right eyebrow at Sunset's question. "And.. pegasi. I just asked because she's a unicorn."

"You could just ask me yerself, gurul."

Still got an accent, but it's less strong. I'm going to assume that she's switched languages.

"Oh."

Scrivener smiles at her. "I'm the tribe's scribe, dearie. Learning other folks' languages is part o' the job. Now, where are-" She levitates a map out of a chest and floats it over to us before unrolling it. "-yuh all from?"

After a second or two I spot the valley we're in, but the scale isn't anything like large enough to encompass Equestria's territory. Sunset studies the map, then lights up her horn to cause a glowing point to appear.

"If we're here now, we came from-"

Another glowing dot appears, this one on the other side of the tent just in front of Lightning Dust.

"-over there. The other side of the northern pole. Our history says that our ancestors came from-"

Scrivener's eyes widen. "The Exodus!"

"-here-. Yes, exactly!" Sunset smiles. "Understandably, we don't have particularly good written records of that period of our history. I'm sure that our historians would be very interested in reading yours."

"Ah. Reading?"

"Yes, your history books." Her face falls slightly. "You do.. have books, don't you?"

"Ah… Yes, a few. But most of our history is kept in the spoken word. We move around too much to carry with us things we don't need to live."

"Oh yeah." Lightning Dust nods. "I totally get that."

Sunset appears to be having some difficulty with the idea. "… Okay. So… Our history says that the three tribes were fighting amongst-."

"Three tribes?"

"Unicorns, pegasi and earth ponies."

"Well I don't know about that. Our history says that the ole unicorn and pegasi were more internally unified than that. No tribes, just a breed, all together."

"Yes, that's-. You mean, earth ponies were divided into tribal groups?"

"I can't say fer certain, y' understand. I only know the groups who didn't go with the chieftain. Honestly, we mostly thought that the whole lot o' them died. How is et that they survived?"

"Ah, short version? Given the choice between working together and dying in a frozen wasteland, they made the smart choice."

"Golly. I think that maybe our history's a bit hard on 'em. Now, you wanted to know why there aren't all that many unicorns around?" Sunset nods. "Simple, really. When Princess Platinum decreed that the unicorns were leaving, they all left. Not alla them wanted to, but they knew that there weren't going to be enough left to lord it over us." She leans forward slightly. "And we're not above stickin' the hoof in, if you know what ah mean."

Sunset nods uncertainly.

"The pegasi were an army. They got an order, they went. But the tribes…"

"Some tribes just disobeyed Chancellor Puddinghead?"

"Chancellor? What's a chancellor?"

Time to contribute. "From Cancellarius, meaning a court usher or guard."

"Puddunhead was no' a guard. That is, she probably started as a guard, but by the time she led the Exodus she was Chief of the Tribes. But a lot of the tribes -particularly the ones who weren't settled in any one place- didn'a want to leave. No' permanently, anyroad."

"They disobeyed their chief?"

"The Chief is Chief at the sufferance o' the tribes. Most thought it was just a hard winter, or the pegasi being decks."

"'Decks'?"

Scrivener widens her eyes. "Decks. Making a whole pestle o' snow and droppin' it on us. So some tribes left and some tribes stayed, an' when the weather got bettar, we though we did the right thang."

Sunset takes that in, then nods. "So there aren't many unicorns or pegasi because almost everypony who stayed was an earth pony, and there would only be enough non-earth pony genes for a few foals a generation."

Scrivener nods. "Unicorns usually work as scribes and history-keepers. Pegasi work as scoots."

"That sounds boring." Lightning Dust tosses her head dismissively. "If you're still here after thousands of years then you've clearly 'scooted' it all before."

"And…" Scrivener looks up at me. "What breed are you, big fellah?"

"That's… A complicated one. Short answer: if you shove enough magic from all three breeds into one pony, they get really powerful and take on the traits of all three breeds."

"Are there a lot like you in this.. 'Equestria'?"

"Currently, five, but we're working on increasing that."

Sunset coughs and then clears her throat.

"She's working on increasing that. But the main reason why we're here…"

Sunset nods. "My special talent is magic, and-."

"And mine's flying fast and kicking tail."

I stare levelly at her. "And perhaps in future you'll remember to focus that aspect on enemies of the state, not its greatest heroines?"

"-AND I've always been interested in earth pony magic. But in Equestria, earth ponies don't really.. do anything? There's a small effect when they grow plants, but it's far less than a plant-growing unicorn would be able to do with their magic. I was hoping that some knowledge of how earth pony magic worked survived-" She looks over to the chests. There aren't a lot of them. "-here."

"Oh, it surely has. Earth pony magics are just the thang for lacertomancy, floramancy, geomancy and hex breaking. We've a journeyman lacertomancer with us now, if'n you want to meet him."

Sunset blinks, then smiles excitedly. "Lacertomancer?"

"Aye. Making themselves right strong and tough, yeh ken?"

"And.. they're a 'journeyman'?"

"It's like you seid; your special talent is magic. Mine is remembering things. All earth ponies know the basics o' the craft, but I dinnae think you'll be wanting that. You'll be wantin' an expert. We dinnae have one o' those with us now, but we've got a journeyman. He's been makin' himself useful all summer, then it's off tae Rijekograd for the wrestlin' season."

Sunset perks up. "Great! So what can he do?"

Scrivener stands and walks around to the entrance of her yurt. Then she sticks her head outside.

"He's strong. Let me jus'-. Ah, there's the fellah."

Sunset looks sceptical, but gamely gets up and follows Scrivener's gaze. "Strong? I'm not.. sure…"

I get up and go to see what the fuss is about.

Outside, a single thickset stallion with a dull green pelt and grey mane and tail is pulling a cart. The cart is far taller than him, and has multiple thick wheels-. No, rollers, in order to keep the colossal weight of the thick trunks it's carrying from causing it to sink into the ground. That weight… I could pull it, but any normal pony wouldn't be able to move it an inch. And he's pulling it without much difficulty at all.

Interesting. I wasn't sure how 'realistic' Cheerilee pulling a house was, but if this is something that earth ponies can do…

Sunset eyes him hungrily. "That's exactly what I'm looking for. What's his name?"

"We mostly call him 'Buckface'. Hey, Buckface!"

'Buckface' looks our way-.

Ah, 'Buckface'. Yes.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
  16. Mr Zoat

Thorgrim knows full well that the dwarfs need allies, but his ability to make alliances is hampered by outstanding grudges. The SI offered to settle a large number of them, making his diplomatic work far easier.
    Technically, slaughtering the skaven in their existing sewer systems did improve their sanitation. But no.
    No.
    No, he just freaks them out.

17. Alasnuyo

Alasnuyo I am always here

Okay, now I'm curious how Equestria even lost institutional knowledge of earth pony magics to begin with.

18. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

Is this from that fake new zealand add?

19. Queshire

Queshire Not too sore, are you?

Printing press again, I imagine. If the tribes primarily passed knowledge along orally it's not unusual to imagine that it'd get washed over in the face of the Unicorn's greater ability to spread magical knowledge. Unicorn and Pegasus magic is also just a lot flashier than Earth Pony magic. With all three unified, how many generations would it take for them to consider magic as just a Unicorn thing?

20. jaelin910

jaelin910 habitual lurker

'Soulless monster' freaks them out or 'he's just that weird' freaks them out?

ChestBurster and Introverted like this.
  21. Dakkan Sall

Dakkan Sall Random Encounter

... I have a feeling I know what this is in reference to...

and yet I've never actually read Preacher...

22. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Ah, the good old cuppa. Most English way to defuse an argument. I hope Grayven isn't too uncomfortable, given your known dislike of Tea...

Well, that'll make it easier on everyone's eyes, anyway. At least for this segment...

Might need an orbital globe courtesy of Grayven.

That's a long way. Good thing they didn't have to actually travel that distance.

Ah, I see you've heard of it...

A tradition of Oral History. That might explain some of the things Equestria seems to have forgotten over the millenia.

Nomadic people, Sunset. You can only carry so much, after all.

Ah, comparing notes. This could rewrite quite a bit of pre-Alicorn history.

Heh, the joy of words meaning different things to different folks.

Is it so hard to believe? Horses and Ponies do naturally congregate into herds, after all.

"Though there was quite a bit of arguing and fighting involved too."

Reprisals for poor treatment, at the least. Any remaining Unicorns would not have been happy...

The Tribes made their own decisions, eh?

Another case of linguistic differences.

After all, they could just keep walking from any place the snows got too thick.

Ah, that accent.

Easy enough to believe so in hindsight.

Makes sense, their superior mobility and all.

Ah, now to the alicorn in the room...

Makes them sound a bit lazy, really. Or she gets the idea it's a new thing.

She's also very curious, to dangerous levels...

In other words, 'shush, the adults are talking'.

If Equestrian Earthens are using any of those powers, it's purely on instinct...

In short: Muscle Wizards. Which is a heck of an image... "I Cast 'HOOF!'" *Boom*

Ah, so there are definite towns and cities. Good to know.

Oh, this is going to be good...

Must be amazing if she's shocked into silence.

Okay, that'll do. I'm guessing in the hundreds of tons...

Maybe she and Big Mac were instinctively using Lacertomancy in their love-crazed state...

Oh, no. You didn't...

I'm picturing Arseface from Preacher. Comic version... I'm guessing he doesn't talk much...

So, Sunset has the next destination for her quest for knowledge, this Rijekograd place. Let's hope things continue to go swimmingly over there...

23. JamesEye

JamesEye Not too sore, are you?

I kept reading Asrai as Asari and started trying to find the mass effect arc I obviously had missed haha.

24. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

'Pegasi work as scouts' not 'Pesagi work as scouts'

'The pegasi were an army' not 'The pesagi were an army'

Are Sunset and Buckface going to become an item?

She eyed him hungrily and she has been spending time with renegade recently, so she may have developed a liking for big strong men:D

Last edited: Mar 12, 2020
    Hell's Razer likes this.
  25. Belenus

Belenus Versed in the lewd.

He's English.

26. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Honestly it would be in keeping if some dickweed unicorns deliberately surpressed the knowledge.

Also, I would say all the apples are instinctive Lacertomancers, Big Mac at the very least.

And Grayven is Bi as well, right? He might enjoy a good wrestle with him, a...tumble in the hay, as it where ;)

27. Mr Zoat

I don't... Think so? The only fake New Zealand advert I've seen is this one.
    The Renegade doesn't know.

Those two statements are identical.
    Probably not. Buckface isn't actually all that large.

28. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

You made a mistake when you spelled pegasi and wrote pesagi.

Unless she was simply talking like that because of her accent.

29. Mr Zoat

Oh. Yes, I... See that now.

You know, this reminds me of something I saw on the old Wizards of the Coast forum. Someone randomised all the words in a sentence and asked if we could read them. I could.

30. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey I trust you know where the happy button is?

In some fanons, rock farming is an example of geomancy in that their version of earth pony magic can cause the earth to form gems.

In this story, is buck used contextually the same way the word "fuck" is?
    This is also common fanon.

Lupercal, Ardy, WereDragon and 5 others like this.