1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Coronavirus COVID-19 Pandemic

Discussion in 'General' started by Biigoh, Mar 16, 2020.

1. MerelysSoul

MerelysSoul Warning: Tends to irreverent in most situations.

I see... That is bad. There are reasons why animal testings are a thing. To better understand the effects of whatever medicine is being made. This is going to turn out horrible before a 'silver bullet' is found. Especially with a virus like this one... One mistake can easily make things even more dangerous.

Still playing with fire. Don't want to take any chances with this.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2020
    Ddmkm122 likes this.
  2. TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

If it wasn't, they wouldn't be making the leap this quickly. Not because it isn't safe (with flu, anyhow... some viruses are more difficult to deal with) but because America's standards for medical treatment are incredibly high. Thalidomide is a lesson not soon forgotten.

No... no it's not.

The current flu vaccine production system is *flawless*, having been exercised seasonally for the last thirty plus years without a single error in the process (though occasionally a given facility has fucked up). There is no possibility for a mistake to cause any harm.

The worst case scenario is that the vaccine is only partially effective (which is most of what's held up anti-HIV vaccines for so damn long), but that's never happened with a flu before and I doubt this will be the exception. And, of course, there's the tiny fragment of the population allergic to the antibodies... but that's always true of every vaccine ever created.

Ddmkm122, dotted_line, Keldin and 3 others like this.
  3. CelestialDragon

CelestialDragon Missing TTS

Hey guys just trying to find an answer for a question, what was the case number for the infected Korean who broke the quarantine. I remember when this just started the Korean government has people in isolation and one person broke it and spread. I think it was case 39 or 31. I am trying to google it but having no luck, I could be wrong but I am sure I read about it somewhere.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  4. MerelysSoul

MerelysSoul Warning: Tends to irreverent in most situations.

I know. You are right on this. Hope that it works. Just can't shake this feeling. Once the Human Trails prove positive feedback then I can relax a bit on that.

Ddmkm122 and TanaNari like this.
  5. TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

It'll work... that said, that's no reason not to be upset. In fact, everyone should rightfully be pissed the fuck off right now.

A lot of people are going to die before this stuff becomes available to the public. All because a cavalcade of fuckups shit the bed almost twenty years ago.

This is the perfect case study of the old saying "A stitch in time saves nine."

Ddmkm122, Xicree, daimahou and 4 others like this.
  6. Aleh

Aleh Destroyer of Faith in Humanity

... yeah, no, that's not what I wanted to say.

The coronavirus isn't a flu. Influenza viruses aren't even in the same phylum.

There's some symptom overlap in the diseases they cause, and they're both RNA-based viruses, but that's about it.

Again, the coronavirus isn't a flu.

You obviously haven't studied the flu vaccine production system in detail. I can think of several major flaws right off the top of my head (e.g. the use of chicken eggs, without an alternative formulation, to incubate the viruses for the vaccine, has been known to cause what I will politely describe as "problems" for people with egg allergies, or the predictive and error-prone nature of the methods we use to choose which strains are included).

Again, the coronavirus isn't a flu... and that "allergic to the antibodies" bit makes no sense. The vaccine doesn't contain any antibodies; the point of a vaccine is to train your body to produce them.

Yeah, no. Again, though, I can't discuss this in detail without hitting Rule 8 really, really hard.

That said, yes, there were major fuckups involved. They just weren't twenty years ago.

Edit: Forgot to close a parenthesis, added an example to the list of issues with the flu vaccine, as I apparently forgot to, you know, make one, close the parenthesis it was in, etc. Way, way too tired for this shit right now.

7. CelestialDragon

CelestialDragon Missing TTS

I am not saying anyone is wrong (so please don't assume I am talking about you) but it just occured to me just how rife misinformation will be on this thread (though to be fair sb and sv aren't great either).

Ddmkm122, MHLord, GLH and 1 other person like this.
  8. Aleh

Yeah, one of many reasons I said you shouldn't be getting your information from QQ.

9. TheLastNanaya

TheLastNanaya Experienced.

Meanwhile, you have people who gathered for a dance of peace and positivity, also covers their bodies in blue paint or participate in "insert certain International Day Marching" or going to any other large public space, even when they have been informed and have to self-quarantine before getting lockdown.

They really didn't know that what they did is going to effectively not only bite but they are basically spreading their buttholes wide and open to receive Corona-chan's godly blessing of her beer being shoved inside.

Am I suppose to feel sorry or disgusted by these people who doesn't take it seriously. Are they unaware that the virus is Highly Infectious?

Kalrotix, Ddmkm122, lemon10 and 3 others like this.
  10. Aleh

I've spent a significant portion of the last decade dealing with active germ theory denialists. I am... unsurprised... by such behavior.

Exaninja, Velk, Prince Chrom and 9 others like this.
  11. TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

Ah, right, thinking of H1N1 there for a second. But that doesn't change the nature of the fact that *both vaccines are made and work the exact same way*.

Yeah, my B. I meant to write "antigen". It's an easy typo to make, and if you gave me the benefit of assuming I'm talking in good faith you'd probably have figured out where I made my mistake, yourself.

I'm aware.

You point this out, yet you didn't recognize that I meant 'antigen'? Come on, dude.

Unfortunately, there's not exactly a better option at this point in time. They're making great strides with both Cell and Recombinant vaccine techniques, but those are not without flaws.

Cell based relies on cultured mammalian tissue (aka- cloned cells grown in a vat), and is difficult to scale to the production demands of epidemic-tier diseases like flu and Wuhan virus. And some people are allergic to that, too- rarer than poultry egg allergy, but still.

And Recombinant doesn't even get rid of eggs, it just replaces chicken with insect eggs. Which is difficult since it involves creating a genetic chimera-virus that is an insect virus but causes the immune system to think it's a human virus. The method has been lackluster, thus far. Also difficult to scale since insect eggs don't produce with nearly the same efficiency. Plus it has its own allergy risks.

Yes, that's an annoyance when it comes to the flu strains. Lucky us, it's 100% irrelevant when it comes to the Wuhan strain, since there is only one of them to worry about at the moment. There's no need to predict anything.

Ddmkm122, daimahou and MerelysSoul like this.
  12. Aleh

As you should be able to tell from context -- and the quote I placed this under -- I was referring to your remark that the flu vaccine production system is "flawless." You went so far as to emphasize the word with twin asterisks in a semistandard markup notation for bolding the enclosed text.

Unfortunately, it still makes little sense in this context.

There are, in fact, alternatives to the use of eggs in the production of the flu vaccine.

Also, egg isn't a vaccine antigen in this context. I mean, the egg proteins that people react to are antigens in the pedantic sense that nearly anything anyone has an immune response to is an antigen and allergic reactions are essentially erroneous immune responses, but the entire point of a vaccine is to provoke the immune system into responding, and thus it includes elements which the immune system is supposed to respond to.

In a vaccine context, the antigens are, thus, those elements in the vaccine intended to directly provoke an immune response. People who have allergic reactions to vaccines typically are reacting to other elements in them -- such as the aforementioned egg protein.

13. tehelgee

tehelgee The stern gaze of justice. Administrator

re: Vaccine production, the Mario Bros streamer CarlSagan42 is a PHD researcher into plant-based vaccine production. It's not ready yet, but from what he's said, it will be easier and cheaper to produce the vaccines and it'll be allergen free... speed-wise, I'm not sure he's talked about that.

14. TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

Make you a deal- when you start caring about my context, I'll care about yours.

Starts at roughly 24:30

He doesn't go into great detail (and note- he's not vaccine focused, he's genegineering focused, so it's no surprise- plus, as is common in any industry, it's easy to forget most people don't know what you know) is that plant vaccines are a very different system than animal vaccines.

Vaccination works by prompting the animal immune system (humans, usually) to generate its own proper antibodies. Which means you have to expose said animal to the virus (or certain environmental bacteria like tetanus, but antibiotics are the preferred method with most bacteria) and let nature do her thing and create antibodies. There are, in effect, two methods to make that happen.

The first- what is the technical definition of a vaccine- is to expose the body to the virus (or a very similar virus- the use of the mostly harmless to humans cowpox virus was our first big break in vaccinating against smallpox, as an example) after damaging, killing, or otherwise rendering it harmless. Live vaccines are increasingly unpopular because of the inherent risk, so those are rare these days.

This is the primary method because it's real easy to do (the basic tech is pushing two centuries old, now) and is guaranteed to work against the vast majority of viruses... exceptions mainly being diseases that have ways to actively fuck with the immune system (most forms of herpes- including chickenpox), mutate too fast to pin down (rhinovirus), and those which other animal immune systems aren't any better at fighting than ours (rabies). HIV is a special pain in the ass because it's all three.

The other main method is to synthesize a protein resembling a virus which tricks our immune system into making antibodies that work on said virus, and let it do the work. The main weakness is that it's difficult to predict the outcome and you require a very thorough understanding of the underlying mechanisms of that specific virus (once again, HIV resists classification). The technology to make these sorts of vaccines is very new, and the library of diseases they work on is still quite limited.

The advantage of this method- when it works- is that it's very cheap and reliable, has less risk of adverse reactions, and you don't need to cultivate the disease you're trying to eradicate in order to produce the cure. It's like a cook book... once the proper recipe is in the medical database, it's available to anyone with the equipment anywhere in the world.

And it's not hard to believe that at some future point, every human pathogen will be in that database. Personally doubt it'll be in our lifetimes, but I would like to be proven wrong.

With plant vaccines... you only have access to the latter vaccine type. Which means in order to deploy them you first have to identify the perfected protein (which requires *massive* research with no guarantee of success), then genetically modify the vaccine plant to produce that one protein (also no guarantee of success).

That said- when they finally get it working, it will be *magic*. Chances are good plant vaccines will be absurdly cheap, easy to transport, require only the labwork in order to cultivate and ship the origin plants (at which point, any hydroponics garden can do the rest), be orders of magnitude easier to store (big problem with all vaccines- they have a pathetic shelf life), and there's reason to believe most of them would be *edible*.

That's right... in the future, the cure to rabies and ebola could be in the form of children's chewable vitamins. And cost about the same.

Buuut... we've got a few decades to wait for that point. As of right now, the cultivation method is often the only method. Especially for mutative viruses like influenza or novel diseases like the Wuhan virus.

Yuhabahha, Ddmkm122, Vorian and 4 others like this.
  15. AllyDoodle

AllyDoodle Lewd Cthulhu

It's currently 7:41 am and I am standing outside my local supermarket which is already packed.

Shit is getting ridiculous.

Ddmkm122, me-meboi and MerelysSoul like this.
  16. Drak4806

Drak4806 Well worn.

I had go pick up a prescription for my mother today and so much stuff is just cleaned out. Good thing I stocked up on everything over a month ago because I saw this happening. People called me crazy but look at where we are now

Ddmkm122, me-meboi, daimahou and 2 others like this.
  17. Coffeexy

Coffeexy Getting sticky.

Fortunately the hoarders and panic buyers around my way aren't early risers. They usually don't tend to start picking the shelves clean in their mad trolley dashes until around after lunchtime so sane shop-goers like myself have plenty of time to get our daily essentials in.

18. d.fish

d.fish Lés Bien

Having gone through this for the last 2 months.

Hm.

Ddmkm122, Imabot, GLH and 1 other person like this.
  19. Jiven

Jiven Most Excellent Lurker

Second day of confinement in France. Some are being clever, some are stupid.

Ddmkm122, Imabot and MerelysSoul like this.
  20. Guardian Box

Guardian Box Theocratic Capitalist

Here in Poland stores are working shorter hours, limited amount of customers allowed at once. Bars and restaurants closed except for takeouts.

Many factories slowing down production or closing down for a few weeks entirely. Industrial material and resources shortages happening since international transport is being impeded.

I'm hoping a full quarantine happens on March 20th, just in time for Doom Eternal to come out.

21. ANGRY PUFFBALL

ANGRY PUFFBALL I trust you know where the happy button is?

I hate that everything is all fucked up because some idiot decided a bat looked tasty.

22. tehelgee

tehelgee The stern gaze of justice. Administrator

It should be mentioned that's not the only video he talks about vaccines in. Check his recent videos, always at the end of the video.

Ddmkm122 and MerelysSoul like this.
  23. seeing_octarine

seeing_octarine Unverified Colour

COVID-19 is actually a particularly nasty variation on the common cold. But then, the common cold is caused by a variety of viruses (mostly rhinovirus, but also coronavirus, influenza virus, etc) and so is rather imprecisely named.

More like because China can't be bothered to enforce food safety laws for meat markets. The same thing used to happen centuries ago in Europe before we learned better.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
  24. OverReactionGuy

OverReactionGuy The only Sane one left

It's going to be pretty much impossible for me to tell if I get the virus unless I get the really serious symptoms like death.

Because I had to deal with shit that has practically the same symptoms my entire life so I wouldn't be able to know if it's just that acting up again or the virus. >.>

I also hate the panic buyers but who doesn't?

25. Guardian Box

Guardian Box Theocratic Capitalist

The sellers.

Ddmkm122, me-meboi and MerelysSoul like this.
  26. TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

Actually, most of the distribution companies have been trying to get people to buy *less*. Probably because they know in the long run it won't affect their bottom line. People hoarding toilet paper just means it's difficult to distribute toilet paper to keep up, not that people will buy more of the stuff in the long run.

And it's far, far too early in the fiscal season for them to be able to use the artificial sales bump for stock manipulation purposes. That's what Christmas is for.

If anything, the slump in sales later on (due to all the panic buyers sitting on stacks of goods that they'll be using for the next few months) is going to hurt them more overall.

Now... if this demand was a new normal rather than an artificial spike, they'd be shitting themselves in joy, but it's not.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
  27. LurkingInTheDeceit

LurkingInTheDeceit “Brave” explorer treading “New” land

More the managers or CEO’s, the cashiers doing the actual selling probably hate them (I’m aware that’s kinda knit-picky, as you probably meant the company/business as a whole when you said seller *shrugs*).

Ddmkm122 and MerelysSoul like this.
  28. Lykaia

Lykaia Well worn.

Well, at least they still have a job which is more than quite a few people can say.

FeebleEcho, Ddmkm122, MHLord and 8 others like this.
  29. LurkingInTheDeceit

LurkingInTheDeceit “Brave” explorer treading “New” land

They also have to regularly come in contact with large amounts of potentially infected people, so swings and roundabouts y’know.

30. TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

And most of them are old, which are the people the Wuhan virus kills the most.