1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. TheEyes

TheEyes Well worn.

Wait, what? How? When? If she could absorb time manipulation energy all this time how did she end up getting tossed through a portal of it against her will?

2. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

She probably wasn't bracing herself for the portal.

She was probably more wary now that she was then and was able to resist the time manipulation.

Also the portal that brought her to Earth 16 wasn't a time portal so much as a dimensional/planar portal.

3. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I kinda hope Overgirl goes the way of Superboy Prime, and needs to be taken down hard.

Just, get her to rethink her worldview, ship her back home, or kill her. Nothing about the story, I just kinda want her to go already.

4. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

This probably describes what happens every time Krona appears.

And this sounds like it belongs in Doctor Who.

That's what's being, y'know, done.

5. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

She'd make an excellent distraction and bonus if she absorbs time energy, she might actually be able to kill him.
    they're also a shortcut to time-skipping to season two I imagine

Wheenesss, Chojin Patriarch and Darko like this.
  6. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

The problem is that it's impossible for him to get it right, because Time Trapper is doomed to failure.

Gantradies, Darko and Z3r0Sama like this.
  7. Z3r0Sama

Z3r0Sama Not too sore, are you?

And that's why being Paul suck's.

Now the Gravy train on the other hand........

Darko likes this.
  8. Sorrow

Sorrow Getting sticky.

Maybe that is why all the Paul's exist in different timelines? Time Trapper shifted/created/what-evered them and now Krona is screwing up his work by abducting the Paul's?

Cuchulin and Darko like this.
  9. Agent Orange

Agent Orange Experienced.

He could keep her in the love crystal and use her as a bludgeoning tool. Jordan has his construct box gloves and Pavlos just lost his ring and all he has is this violet 'Made in China Zamaron' substitute he doesn't even know how to use. Going back to basics seems prudent.

10. TheMidnightRook

TheMidnightRook Well worn.

The fact that it's in red rather than the usual default orange makes the link rather easy to miss.

Ardy, True Ninja, Wheenesss and 4 others like this.
  11. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

Honestly if Nazi girl can delay time trapper by acting like the coolaid man without Krona showing up, then he should have enough spare seconds to let Paul get his original orange rings... But Meh, I will shut down my brain for this few parts.

Ardy, Cuchulin, Agent Orange and 4 others like this.
  12. Agumentic

Agumentic Not too sore, are you?

Those situations are entirely different, though? Overgirl is already with them in that temporal dislocation, while the rings remain back within the timeline, which Krona is observing.

13. Gantradies

Gantradies Not too sore, are you?

then again, he's currently paired off against the biggest fuckup in the multiverse - HOW incompetent/ uncommonly stupid (a crime in the hollows universe in demon society- the accusation being you did something so stupid/careless that it warrants execution regardless of context- something threatening society/the ever after itself) do you have to be to irreparably damage the entirety of reality EVERYWHERE, including anchronically damaging parallel universi that dont even EXIST yet, to the point of inevitable entropic decay,with a one-way time window!?!?!

given the fact that the idiot's last brilliant scheme backfired so bad he accidentally invented entropy as a force by trying to LOOK at something, this might be one opfor a Time Trapper iteration could potentially defeat, assuming they were out of the splash zone when whatever the maltusian moron's planning literally blows up in their face...

not to mention that a MINIMUM of one of his other abductions- specifically one of the one-screen ones failed- and failed HARD-there's likely other pauls he fucked up the abduction of, including ONE botched extraction we've seen onscreen-arguably, the entire thing's already over with the multivercidal loon loosing-
    if his scanning gear was so inexcusably shitty he fell for a duplicate with no internal organs/skeleton that would be rumbled by an 1800's./early 1900's X-ray, when he, to all appearances, had no time crunch/reason to hurry.........

... in short, not...really impressive as an arc villain so far XD

Last edited: Apr 2, 2020
    Ngamer11, Ardy, BlueMangoAdea and 6 others like this.
  14. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Because that’s like asking why Superman can’t become invisible / create a bubble of darkness by absorbing the light around himself. She can absorb background time manipulation energy if time is being manipulated in her vicinity, but she can’t stop time by herself.

15. Ace Dreamer

Ace Dreamer Questioning The Nature of our Realities

That is two uses of 'the crystal' which refer to two different crystals - it might be useful to change the second use to 'his crystal'?
    Yes, I do realise that the first use is a different colour, which may be enough to distinguish, though some read without colour, and some are using text-to-speech, which typically handles coloured text poorly.

I do find it interesting that Overgirl has 'joined the team' - there's a lot to be said for having someone with that power level with you, assuming, of course, that she cooperates...

16. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Gantridies says that Krona is a stupid villain that isn't that impressive and frightening because he chose the wrong Paul.

I disagree in the fact that a stupid person with access to the power and tech someone like Krona has is far more scary than any intelligent person with the same access:D

Krona may have done some stupid shit, but seeing as how much power he has at his fingertips, that is truly frightening.

17. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Unless this is a British usage, 'surroundings'

At first I thought there was a word missing, but Ace figured it out. Give him the credit, but "the red crystal" or "his crystal" would probably fix the confusion. (I had thought he was waving to beckon Angelika's crystal to follow along.)

Interrupts require changing your mind. If it's what your train of thought was already going towards, it's not an interrupt.

Chojin Patriarch and Mr Zoat like this.
  18. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

They don't need to get Paul's rings, the just need to get AN Orange ring that is fully functional.

19. Agent Orange

Agent Orange Experienced.

But that won't happen. Because Pavlos with an orange ring means an easy normal mode. If he gets it at any point before the last part of this storyline that invalidates the nerf. The DM wants him to finish this level with an ill matched ring for whatever reason.

Cuchulin and Lupercal like this.
  20. jonasquinn

jonasquinn I trust you know where the happy button is?

Yeaaaah, if Time Trapper can't go afford to go back five seconds so that Paul has his ring then this is a one time deal

Also, while I've calmed down from the convenient bullshit of the last update I do have to say that my excitement for a storyline that I was previously really looking forward to has been greatly reduced as a result of Paul being rendered useless going into it

Gantradies, Ardy, Cuchulin and 3 others like this.
  21. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.

22. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Not godking supes, a Chris Kent who was raised in a Buddhist monastery who apparently developed a Wuxia style art for energy manipulators.

He could also grow and grab heat vision beams.

nick012000, Ardy, jonasquinn and 3 others like this.
  23. Rieverre

Rieverre The Thing That Should Not Be

I've always found that the grand, multiverse/universe changing plotlines were the weakest in comics. Or at least the ones I'm least interested in. Similarly here, I'm having more fun when Paul is doing Pragmatic Superheroing or actually making an effort at rehabilitating people, and the looks at the alternates. So this setup kind of leaves me flat, because nine times out of ten in any fiction dealing with time travel results in nothing really happening to the status quo.

24. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

To be fair, the introduction to any new episode tends to be the weakest part of it, specifically because there hasn't been enough material to capture one's interest yet. This might turn out better than you think.

I don't see any difference on the crystal description?

Lupercal, Darko and Cuchulin like this.
  25. Mr Zoat

26. nick012000

nick012000 Gone for Good

So, odds that Overgirl is going to wind up falling in love with Paul thanks to the brainwashing crystal he stuck her in?

27. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Hm... I kind of want to see a version of Paul in the Castlevania show Universe - for one, it’s written by Warren Ellis, has some fairly interesting characters talking about existential stuff and it’s also got it’s own version of the bleed and multiversal travel now with season 3.

Cuchulin and Darko like this.
  28. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey I trust you know where the happy button is?

Yeah, I've found that multiverse crap tends to be a sign of jumping the shark and just clutters up the storyline unless it's the big ending.

Darko likes this.
  29. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

The whole love brainwashing may not happen.

It's possible the Zamarons took that feature out, or that the process needs to be activated by the user themselves.
    If that is the case then Paul just has to make sure not to activate it.

30. Threadmarks: Repetition (part 4)
    Mr Zoat

2nd April 2012
    Indeterminate

"Because he was more interested in studying the universe than in changing it."

"I'd say 'typical Guardian', except that he isn't. A typical Guardian would just have shut me down. Krona.. is… Expanding things. Even I don't know what sort of damage he'll end up doing to time. For all I know he's deliberately trying to collapse the universe in order to gain experimental data."

"Is that a worst-case scenario, or a realistic assessment?"

"I don't know. He's expanded my work significantly beyond what I needed for my purposes. From a distance I have only an approximate idea of what he's doing. While I was his captive he spent most of his time simply insulting me rather than explaining himself."

"You escaped?"

"Krona was punished with incorporeality by the Guardians. He can work around it, but he still retains certain… Limits. Not all of his abductees came gently, and in the confusion I was able to free myself and one other. But that won't do much to hold him back. Not at this stage."

"Who else?"

He raises his right arm and points over to the base of the spire, where I see a woman in all-concealing red armour and robes. I don’t recognise the ensemble, but from the scarlet arcs of energy swirling from her to the central pillar I'm going to assume that she has some sort of power relating to this place.

"Red Queen. Are we ready?"

Red Queen doesn't look around as we approach.

"I can open a portal to a different alternity. That's it. Krona has already taken enough crystal from here to prevent any second tries."

Oh. I suppose that it shouldn't be a complete surprise.

"Jade? Is that you under there? Or… A you?"

"The only me left. Krona acquired every one of my safety-alternaties before he came after this me."

"No, I... I'm not sure what you mean."

Time Trapper holds out the small crystal he used to open the portal to and from Mount Justice to her and she takes it and attaches it to her vambrace.

"I can create replica universes. Everything the same as the one I duplicate, except for anything I do there. But now Krona's using my.. abilities for something else. He captured too many of me for me to work around."

"Have we.. met before?"

"No. If there was ever a version of you in my original alternity, I never met him. I take it you've met one version of me before."

"Two, actually, though I'm on good terms with my native one."

"I'm not her. Try to remember that."

"Okay, I.. will. So what's the plan?"

Time Trapper turns towards me.

"Locate the alternate versions of you that he's targeting and bring them here before he can acquire them. Red Queen and I can shield them far more easily here than we can anywhere else."

"And then?"

"I rebuild my device and use it to negate his. Then we attack him directly and either kill him or at least damage him sufficiently that he can't come after me again."

"And what about your project?"

"I'll ask for volunteers while everyone is assembled in one place, but stopping Krona is far more important."

"I still haven't actually seen Krona yet."

Time Trapper's robes move in such a way as to suggest a shrug.

"You'll see him before the end. Unless you're unlucky, in which case you'll see him earlier. Are you ready?"

"Not quite. Can you get Angelika back to her home parallel?"

"Not.. now, but once Krona is defeated, yes, easily. And I'd far rather do that than let her take another swing at me."

I raise my right hand, then lower it, the crystal around her head decaying.

Angelika looks decidedly unimpressed with me, but her eyes aren't glowing. Yet.

"Angelika, these people have offered to send you home. They even want our help against the person who attacked your parallel. Can you control yourself for long enough to actually focus on the one responsible for what happened to your people?"

"Has he shown you evidence that anyone else is responsible?"

"Not yet, merely given a promise that such evidence will be forthcoming. But we can always kill him later if he fails to produce it. And if Krona really is responsible, would you really want to have killed an innocent man first?"

"I do not believe that anyone with such power could possibly be innocent."

"Innocent of the particular crime you're accusing him of. Innocent in general, probably not, but…" I smile. "Who here is?"

She grimaces, but dips her head.

"Let me out."

Ring, grant freedom.

The crystal melts and vanishes, nothing flowing back to the ring. Different, but-. Ring, power level.

Eighty eight percent to go.

Huh. I was half-expecting Jade's voice, but it's actually my Nan's. Anyway, it should be enough for me to play gopher. I'll need to grab an orange ring if I'm actually forced to fight someone in my weight class…

I turn to Time Trapper.

"Where are you sending us first?"

Angelika steps forward forcefully. "Send us to my world. Overman will ensure that we have the resources we need to succeed."

"No. Krona has already been to your world and taken what he needs. Temporal positioning isn't a concern here, but.. exposure… Krona will certainly notice if a large number of people from one parallel begin working across a multitude in concert."

Angelika doesn't look happy, but she appears to accept it.

"We're sending you to parallel thirty two. Locate your alter ego and impress upon them the urgency of our situation. It would also help if you can locate their version of Jade Nguyen, though she's less essential."

"Alright, what can you tell me about him?"

"Little. I had no reason to study his parallel. He has a red power ring, and appears to have acquired a soul." I nod. "Are you ready to depart?"

"Yes. Let's go."

Last edited: Apr 3, 2020