1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Coronavirus COVID-19 Pandemic

Discussion in 'General' started by Biigoh, Mar 16, 2020.

1. Railhazar

Railhazar I trust you know where the happy button is?

Well, even if you dismiss the possibility of blatant lies about the number, getting a perfectly accurate number is rather difficult.

For exemple, in France, until today, we didn't have the specific number for Nursing home. And it is still, according the Ministry
    of Health, pretty unaccurate.

By the way, while this epidemy is showing pretty starkly how ill prepared the world is, one should remember that it still not
    as if we were facing the horror of the Black Plague.

I will not dispute that the situation is serious, i am keenly aware of that.

Afterall, my nephew and my sister caught it. And i have a 70 years-old mother. And my Grandmother is 93. Fortunately, both
    are still in good health.

As serious as Covid-19 is, it is not a Sanitary Disaster.

At still not yet...

2. Aleh

Aleh Destroyer of Faith in Humanity

The issue isn't making calculations. It's gathering data... or, in other words, getting the base numbers to make the calculations from.

Here. This is a link to the website for the STROBE statement, a relatively simple list (or set of lists) of the most important items which need to be talked about in any effort to answer the questions you're talking about. Given the specific question, this is the specific document you want.

Unfortunately, most of the explanation and elaboration documents I'd normally link appear to be down (as Oxford Academic appears to be having technical issues). BMJ is suffering similar problems (and I can't even run a basic search on their site at the moment).

That's a bit of basics on what we need to understand the numbers before we start doing calculations.

The numbers people are talking about above? They're generally generated from biased settings (that we know are biased), such as nursing homes or hospitals. In the former case, nursing home residents aren't exactly typical patients (even for their age ranges). In the latter, the hospital staff don't see you unless you're having significant issues, meaning that their numbers are generally leaving out the people with more mild symptoms. They may be able to give you numbers on what to expect if you experience a cytokine storm and need to be hospitalized and put on oxygen... but they won't directly know how many people they aren't seeing.

And the testing issues we're having don't help.

And all the above is on top of the issues that were discussed by Egglord or the possibility of people "cooking the books" as it were.

The people who would normally be working on all of this and getting us better numbers anyway? They're disproportionately the ones on the front lines, actively and desperately trying to keep people alive. Or working on things like getting fucking ventilators where they're needed. Or trying to develop a vaccine. Or... well, you get the idea.

3. Ghost Fabric

Ghost Fabric Getting some practice in, huh?

That's very difficult to answer at this time, unfortunately, other than that they are more at risk than all the younger age brackets.

Because they are over 65 -- and as we grow older, our immune systems become weaker -- so extra precautions should be taken. We monitor anyone over the age of 65 quite closely ourselves during this time. We especially don't want to take any chances when it comes to them.

Yes. The possibility of permanent lung damage is there - people can get some reduced lung capacity. If it does get bad enough, as we know, more severe acute infections/pneumonia can cause scarring in the lungs.

There currently isn't that much data on long-term damage just yet, to be really honest with you, so it's hard to say what the chances are. Lots of variables there. Apologies if this answer isn't particularly helpful.

Thank you. Very elegantly explained.

4. Aleh

Aleh Destroyer of Faith in Humanity

You're welcome... although I thought it was notably incomplete. I didn't get into the challenges involved in estimating risk with these things... or the statistical methods that would need to be used (e.g. multivariate regression analysis across demographics if you're going to generate a probability model of outcomes based on an arbitrary set of risk factors while taking into account interactions) and the problems that come with them (e.g. the resultant statistical power issues, especially after you try to correct for multiple comparisons).

You're forgetting that putting people on ventilators for a long period of time, especially on higher settings, can cause lung damage too, which is fun in its own way.

5. Ghost Fabric

Ghost Fabric Getting some practice in, huh?

Thank you for typing that out nonetheless and adding to my answers. I don't have a lot of time or energy unfortunately to go into too much detail, but I wanted to spare what help I could. There's very little else I can think about sometimes in my downtime.

I hope it slows down soon. The stress is starting to crush my (and everyone's) health a little, but it's going to be like that for the foreseeable 6-8 weeks at the minimum. Longer if people don't follow isolation rules or listen.

It's very important to be kind to each other, okay?

Xicree, Ddmkm122, MerelysSoul and 3 others like this.
  6. OverReactionGuy

OverReactionGuy The only Sane one left

-just got watching someone on TV (I think it was the state governor person) say that the lockdown is still in effect while letting in my dog-

-sees 5 little kids riding bikes around outside-

...Okay. I know it's probably annoying to keep your kid inside for so long but at least keep them in the backyard if you do let them out when a lockdown is in effect.

me-meboi, Ddmkm122, Jiven and 2 others like this.
  7. alethiophile

alethiophile Shadowed Philosopher Administrator

The lockdowns around here, at least, have a specific exemption for doing outdoor exercise.

8. Railhazar

Well, enforcing a lockdown is actualy quite difficult, in spite of what game like Prototype may have lead you
    to believe.

In reality, it depends of the people's willingness to follow the restrictions laid down. There are simply not
    enought policemen nor soldiers to patrol every street in every cities. Even in the most autoritarian countries.

9. evildice

evildice (emotionally stable clown posse)

Can I include in the "exercise" category things like heavy petting or intercourse?

10. OverReactionGuy

Honestly, I kinda live in a hot zone. There is an exception for walking dogs and stuff but I don't think there's for kids running around unsupervised and visiting each other.

Btw, I've been monitoring myself and I don't think I have the virus and it is my normal crap instead.

me-meboi, Ddmkm122, Jiven and 2 others like this.
  11. alethiophile

alethiophile Shadowed Philosopher Administrator

I dunno, can you do it while remaining at least six feet away from all other people?

12. evildice

With sufficiently advanced toys... I think yes.

Somebody who isn't me should definitely get to work on that.

13. TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

You limit your thinking. The only rule is to avoid human contact, right?

The outdoors are vast, and some of the trees are pretty cute. Just saying.

me-meboi, Ddmkm122, Imabot and 5 others like this.
  14. MadGreenSon

MadGreenSon Verified Devil Tiger, The Childish Yandere

At last it feels like a QQ thread! :p
    [​IMG]

15. Susano

Susano Regent of the Lyran Commonwealth

Here in Germany as well, but not in groups of five!

me-meboi, Skjadir, Ddmkm122 and 2 others like this.
  16. Megaolix

Megaolix Moderator

This is indeed not the place, anywhere on QQ. Cease and desist from this line of thinking here or else.

17. Railhazar

Aknowledge. Deleting previous post right now

Ddmkm122 and MerelysSoul like this.
  18. Ragnarok

Ragnarok Well worn.

Would it be gauche to post corona-chan in this thread?

MerelysSoul likes this.
  19. TotalAbsolutism

TotalAbsolutism Magnificent Bastard Moderator

I'd argue it'd be gauche to post anywhere, but especially here, yes.

Prince Chrom and MerelysSoul like this.
  20. OverReactionGuy

Gotta love that it's within human nature to personify something deadly to them just so they can draw a human fucking it.

Humanity fuck ya indeed.

21. Nickballas

Nickballas I wish I had more Pride.

It's called Dark Humor. I'd rather joke about bad stuff happening that I can't change than to become a depressed and anxious mess by overthinking things.

22. OverReactionGuy

I wasn't saying there was anything wrong with it, just putting that out there.

23. Railhazar

The personification of phenomena and disasters is an habit as old as civilization itself. Giving an understandable face to Something unfathomable
    is our way to cope.

Declaring our confidence in defeating this disease in such way is barely a blip on the radar, compared to many disturbing imagery drawn by mankind during its history.

For exemple :" The Birth of Aphrodite." How the cut ballsacks of Ouranos begat the goddess of love and Beauty.

Yuhabahha, me-meboi and MerelysSoul like this.
  24. seeing_octarine

seeing_octarine Unverified Colour

Some of it is black humor. I like that part. But some of it seems to be more like an impromptu apocalypse cult with various levels of extensive irony involved.

MerelysSoul likes this.
  25. evildice

Ia ia waifu fhtagn.

But seriously, just view any impromptu cults as the harmless humor devices that they are.

Harmful things don't seem to look like apocalypse cults. They look like dismissive genuine ignorance, or willful politically-motivated ignorance. (Specific examples of the latter are obviously forbidden on this site so I'm not going to say more here.)

26. OverMaster

OverMaster Well worn.

I find the whole fetishization of the antropomorphic racist depiction of a virus currently killing thousands of innocents through the whole world to be in bad taste.

There's a point past which 'Respect the dead and grieving' should overrule 'Don't kinkshame'.

me-meboi and MerelysSoul like this.
  27. Nickballas

If you think it's in bad taste that's fine. Not everyone has that opinion though. Also it might be a coping mechanism.

28. OverMaster

OverMaster Well worn.

I doubt anyone posting 'cute genderbent Osama-chan' right after 9/11 wouldn't have been drummed out from all angles even here, why should a thing that has killed many more globally get a pass either?

Especially since as time passes by the odds some actual relative of a COVID-19 victim may pass by and see that kind of imagery, do you really think that'd be fair to those poor people?

MerelysSoul likes this.
  29. Nickballas

Do you think it's fair to choose what people laugh about?

30. d.fish

d.fish Lés Bien

Could you guys not?