1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

The red lantern in Grayven universe has an AI.

Shotiegun11 and Darko like this.
  2. Shotiegun11

Shotiegun11 Know what you're doing yet?

Orange Ring users just need to Want the end result and the Ring AI can take care of the rest. This is a trait of the Orange Light as wanting something is all that is required if the data on how to do it is on the Ring. (And sometimes just wanting enough with no data can get the end result with Orange Rings (Construct Lantern Rings and FEED ME))

Green Ring users have to know what they are doing, how the construct works, and then will it (every single part) into existence. The concentration required is part of the Will that's required to for Green Light constructs. The AI can't pick up the slack because the Ring is using the Green Light of Will.

This is how I've understood it as it goes within this story. How correct/Wrong is this Mr Zoat?

Yeah, it was made by Female Weaponeer that I don't remember. Zoat gave WOZ that Lord Atrocotis makes his Rings Via magic-blood-rage rituals and that's the reason they're messed up by default and difficult but not impossible to fix/upgrade.

3. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

Going to point out that the AI and charge characteristics is a matter of the ring's construction. For example The First Orange Ring that Paul picked up from Larfleeze was rather primitive in its AI, and retained less of a charge then a 'modern' one like the standard issue rings that are used in the corp. OL mentioned this when he was dueling with a corp member on Maltus and they called him out on the prototype (assuming wrongly that the prototype is better then the production models, something that comes up a lot in fiction, just look at Gundam). The AI for that ring in particular was pointed out as being more Chaotic then his standard ring, when he met the New Doctor Fate who managed to shut down the normal one with ease.

Blue Lantern Scott's old broken green ring, once updated from his new lantern, had it's missing AI replaced by the new one...it was a bit more aggressive in it's knowledge downloads because that's the way it was programmed by the Weaponeer that designed the Lantern.

It Again shows up on the Renegade side with the AI modeled Specifically on Sinestro's Mind...it has his personality and memories, and can actively restrict a user independent of the user's wishes, as we saw when it first was acquired.

The AI is a matter of the programming the ring has, and the charge retention and power output is more due to it's quality of construction. The Star Saffire isn't a ring per say, but it functions similarly to a lantern and ring combined, but doesn't come with any mention of an AI at all. When Renegade visited their world, they mentioned it was an attempt to recreate power ring tech from scratch. AKA without a central core, AI or any mental safe guards.

4. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Talbot's ring was manufactured using advanced technology, Qwardian to be specific.

Atrocitus makes his rings using magic so it could be more difficult to give them an AI.

Sephtian said that genius loci, which are kinda the magical counterparts to AI, typically form by accident in the wild, instead of being made by magic users intentionally.

5. Threadmarks: Repetition (part 9)
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

3rd January 2005
    21:58 GMT -5

From the window of the main living room slash work area of the Titans' tower I look out across the wounded city.

"Does this.. city have the best civil engineers in the universe or.. something, because the city seems to be going back to normal surprisingly quickly?"

Garfield nods. "Fights like this happen a lot around here. People started reinforcing their buildings, stuff like that. After the first few city-wide alerts people just got used to it." He glares at my alter ego. "What did that guy do to Raven?"

Red-Me looks up from his phone. "Infectious rage. He made her feel a fraction of the rage he does. She should be fine in a few days."

"That's not good enough!"

He shrugs helplessly. "I'm a Red Lantern. I can't heal people. I could make it worse if you want-?"

"I probably could. You haven't seen an orange power ring anywhere, have you?"

"What?" Garfield frowns at me. "No, what's wrong with the ring you've got?"

"I've been using it for ten minutes, and interfering with someone's brain is one of those things you shouldn't do unless you're certain you know what you're doing." On the other hand, Richard 16 was able to heal his uncle without prior training… "Unless one of you is in love with her, because when that happens violet rings become a lot more user friendly."

"Ahhh…"

"I will attempt it!" Koriand'r zips over to me. "I am having the great love for all of my friends, and nothing would make me happier than making friend Raven better!"

Why is she talking like that? Tamaraneans absorb language knowledge through physical contact, she should be grammatically correct. Shouldn't she?

The local Richard sticks his head up from the pile of technology which he and Victor are using to attempt to read the Manhunter's drive.

"Starfire, she's gunna be okay, and like…"

He looks at me.

"Orange Lantern. Usually."

"Orange Lantern says, it's not a good idea to use technology you don't understand on someone's brain."

Koriand'r nods reluctantly, sinking to the ground.

"Violet-Orange Lantern, why are you here?"

"A man called Time Trapper has alleged that his efforts to reengineer time have been hijacked by a man named Krona. Krona's plan allegedly involved acquiring parallel universe versions of me and-" I gesture to Local Jade with my right hand. "-Jade, so he sent me here to collect them."

Garfield frowns. "So what's with the robots?"

"Krona used to be a Guardian. Manhunter androids -or.. gynoids, apparently- were their first attempt at a police force before they started using Green Lanterns. Krona was one of their designers. Given that we've confirmed that they were targeting myself and my-" I gesture to Red-Me. "-local counterpart, it seems reasonable to conclude that Krona kept a few after they were decommissioned. We're waiting on confirmation."

"Parallel universe, huh? So we've all got, like, copies of ourselves living there?"

"I don't think we've got a Raven, but the rest of you, yes. Our version of you goes to school in Happy Harbour, so I usually see him a couple of times a week."

He brightens up a little. "Maybe we could team up sometime. We could have a whole team of Beast Boys-."

"He's not a Beast Boy. I'm not sure what caused you to become… This, but he hasn't been exposed to it. Plus, he's a few years younger than you and I don't think his mother would like it."

His eyes widen. "His m-? Ah-. And-" He smiles unconvincingly. "-what about everyone else?"

"I've met Cyborg's father a few times, though I've never met him. Our Robin is on my team, usually serving as a squad leader. Both Komand'r and Koriand'r are Orange Lanterns, operating in Vega to maintain order after the destruction of the Citadel Empire."

"And..." Koriand'r looks nervous. "What has happened to Tamaran?"

"They're.. recovering. Rebuilding their educational infrastructure and fleet are the first priorities. I.. haven't spent much time there recently."

"The Gordanians?"

"The clans most closely aligned to the Citadel either fled or got conquered and the rest were allowed to surrender. The psions were just exterminated. It will take a while for the security fleets to finish off all of the pirate groups, but Vega isn't such a bad place to live at the moment."

"And my parents?"

"Alive and well last time I spoke to th-."

"I think we've got something!"

Something flickers on the room's main screen, an image of-.

"Um, you might want to skip that."

Richard doesn't look around. "This could have vital intelligence on what Krona-."

"That's a planet in Sector Six Six Six. The Sector where the Manhunters killed every living thing-" The image shows the Manhunter squadron this unit was part of assaulting a ship, tearing apart the hull and spacing the people inside. Looks like the ship was packed to the gunnels with refugees. Who weren't wearing space suits. "-before the Guardians shut-"

Richard skips the recording forwards.

"-them down."

The ship is gone, and we get a momentary shot of heavily damaged Manhunters floating in space. Then a portal like the one Time Trapper used opens and the remains are sucked through. On the far side there's a.. small base on what looks like an asteroid. Slowly the Manhunters are drawn towards it, and as they are their bodies flicker with red light. Damaged and broken parts knit back together as the damage of the intervening millennia is undone. Once they've recovered sufficiently they orientate themselves on the asteroid and begin moving using their own thrusters. And when they clear the side-.

A tuning fork. It's a tuning fork. All over its surface are.. versions of myself and Jade, apparently aware and in a degree of distress. Some of the mes look like they've had a rather hard time of it. Manhunters -some quite a bit larger than the ones who attacked us here- are keeping station around it, while others are building equipment and a small squad-.

The image moves away before I can see what the squad next to the pile of power rings were doing.

Richard looks at me. "Do you know where that is?"

"No."

Ring, Jades need rescuing. And I didn't get to check in with mine before I left.

We've got the tape.

"But I know a man who does."

Last edited: Apr 22, 2020
  6. Mr Zoat

You just saved me having to type that myself.

7. Mihari

Mihari Know what you're doing yet?

Getting the Morty torture statue vibes from this tbh

8. FourthPear

FourthPear Frequent Flier. Muted

The Venture Bros! God, I was hoping it was that clip when I saw the link! This is amazing!

mauke, Relyt33, TheJon and 7 others like this.
  9. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Nice to see Kori's love for her friends.

I think the reason she speaks like that is because that's is what Tamaraneans talk like, the grammar I mean.
    And her friends probably never complained about, or just thought it was how her people talked.

Kom probably talks more like a human because she decided to abandon the tamaranean way of speaking and adopt the human one when she was on Earth.
    She has said that before she met Raul she felt like she never had a home so abandoning some parts of her culture in order to fit in make sense.

Also Venture Bros:D

Really curious what Paul would do if he ended up there.

10. Dakkan Sall

Dakkan Sall Random Encounter

I didn't want to do it, but you had to bring up the reference...

Kalmin, on seeing the after-mission report: Hm... I considered a concept like this once.

Dox, Paul, and anyone else in earshot: *stares at him*

Kalmin: Only in theory! I wouldn't do this; it's barbaric overkill. You could accomplish the same result with five alternate duplicates and a bleed-space siphon tether.

*They continue to stare.*

Kalmin: Which I wouldn't do, of course. I'm just putting forth that it's bad craftsmanship.

Paul: Right, no more interdimensional cable for you.

11. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Kalmin isn't some wasteful fool like Krona.

When he decides to build doomsday weapons to bring about the apocalypse he only does it in the most efficient and cost effective manner possible without wasting so many lives in its creation, Sinestro's ring was a special case.

Why all those extra lives could be used to make more doomsday weapons instead of just one.

12. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Kids' Cartoon logic. Damage and injuries are gone by the next episode, no matter how massive... How that translates into a realistic world, I have no idea...

I wonder how many people have made the connection between the Titans' presence and the weekly fights?:rolleyes:

Heh. Give you one reason why he's so upset at Raven's condition...x3

As I've said before: Maybe if you got angry enough at the pain, it'd heal. But it'd probably hurt worse than the original wound.

"It's a loaner. Not my first choice of colour."

Cue embarrassed denial of attraction, because teenage boy.:p

Heh, first time he's heard the local Tamaranean accent? I suppose she wasn't talking much earlier.

I see Victor's putting his technical skill to use. Kind of impressive for a former track & field star. I guess he had to learn to maintain his tech...

...All that time and he didn't introduce himself? No-one thought to ask?

Ah, that feeling of crushing a young girl's hope... At least it was gentle...

I'm surprised there was no reaction from Cheshire about his blabbing her real name. I mean, Robin could easily track her down with what little he knows about her from this brief encounter...

Or he's been snatching more than Pauls and Jades from alternate realities.

Oh, they have a Raven, she's just all of ten years old at this point and not active as a cape.

Heh, he didn't consider that his alternates might not be orphans. I'm surprised OL didn't say 'Mothers' given Danni and Marie's relationship...

Do keep in mind, kiddo, it's not your Tamaran. No getting upset or cheery...

Not that OL feels particularly welcome there. Given the effective betrayal the locals gave him...

<sigh> Why do I have the feeling she'll want to visit?

"This isn't child-friendly stuff..."

Yup, definitely not kid-friendly. I bet there's a few paler faces in the room. And maybe Raul taking a professional interest?

Good move, kid.

Yup, Krona's looting multiple universes for material and troops...

Dang it... Well, hopefully he can get a hold of at least one charged orange ring there, even if it doesn't have his usual load-out...

Nice how he can rationalise it like that. Time to get dangerous.

Now, how to get a hold of Time Trapper? Eh, I expect he's monitoring the situation...

Now, they have a target, and soon a location. Time for things to get moving fast. Got to wonder, though, how many of those Pauls will still be alive when this is done...

...the Titans' tower... (Possessive apostrophe for the collective noun, yes?)

13. Sceptic

Sceptic Critical Irrationalist

Three and a half?

14. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

If the Black Lantern one is there then three and a half may be what happens.

15. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Again, confused. How does this recording help? Assuming the manhunter gynoids don't have some crazy interdimensional locator sensors that was just a recording, how does that help locate anyone?

16. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

It could help them figure out what Krona is doing exactly.

Time Trapper may not know what he is fully doing and the others may not trust him so they want to confirm it for themselves.

17. Someguy Somewhere

Clearly 42 is the correct answer.

52 is just unthinkable

18. Sceptic

Sceptic Critical Irrationalist

Sixty nine, dude.

19. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

20. Someguy Somewhere

Only in the Eros version.

21. thebishop8

thebishop8 Umm, ackchyually...

I wonder who's going to be tagging along for this adventure? I don't see why Komand'r would be left behind. The Titans are less likely, but it would be nice to have them along.

NightmareWarden, Ngamer11 and Darko like this.
  22. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

The point isn't to destroy things like with Kalmin, presuming Zoat is keeping with Krona's usual characterization.*

It's for SCIENCE!

So the point is to destroy things in a way he can learn from it.

*His other characterization I've seen is being against the Guardians turning themselves into a bunch of sociopaths by denying all emotional drives but willpower, but I don't see how blowing shit up would accomplish that, so I'm assuming it's for SCIENCE! here.

23. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Paul should pass that idea around on Earth 16. It would really help with all the collateral damage there.

What must be going through his mind after hearing that? Probably a bit of melancholy at his lost parents and morbid curiosity of what that other version of him and his mom is like.

Same thing with Starfire as with Beast Boy. Would it hurt more to see a version of reality where her world is so much better and her parents are alive?

I loved that clip from The Venture Bros. Hope the Teen Titans didn't see too much before Robin skipped that part.

I hope the Teen Titans tag along. I'd like to see their personal thoughts on Raul and Paul.

24. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Hey renegade is going to be having trips from Earth to Equestria so maybe Paul can schedule something like that for the Teen Titans and his Earth.

25. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Zoat does renegade Diana know about Cassandra Sandsmark and her being a daughter of Zeus yet?

I don't know if the renegade ever told her.
    The time he visited the island could have been just to see and meet his new countrywomen and not to show Cassie around, but I can't remember.

Xmaster3000 and DrThoth like this.
  26. WereDragon

WereDragon Bookwyrm

I would like to say ‘road not taken’ but given the age and circumstances differences it is more ‘road not built’.

Raul was rather quiet. Would have thought he would be interested in what he might have done with one of the useful Ring colours.

DAT_NOOB and Navi-Hank like this.
  27. Mr Zoat

He would have been. At one point. But he's been using the red ring for long enough to 'normalise' the experience, and sees himself as fulfilling a valuable niche.

28. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Well someone has to be the exterminator to Paul's uplifter.

29. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I forgot to ask, but when would Paul have met Victor Stone's father? Also, I'd like to see the two Robins talk and share notes. One would wonder where he gets his hairgel, the other is shocked that Batman 16 went through with marrying a (former) supervillainess.

Ardy, True Ninja, Navi-Hank and 3 others like this.
  30. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Paul probably met him off screen when he was delivering some new tech to be analyzed at S.T.A.R labs.

Also Robin 32 may be annoyed with his 16 counterpart on his informal way of doing things and butchering of the English language, seeing as he is fairly professional most of the time.

Prince Charon, Navi-Hank and Lupercal like this.