1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Coronavirus COVID-19 Pandemic

Discussion in 'General' started by Biigoh, Mar 16, 2020.

1. Moderation: Regarding 'Corona-chan' & Black Humour
    TotalAbsolutism

TotalAbsolutism Magnificent Bastard Moderator

Here's what I consider to be the final word on this matter:

Yes, black humour is a valid coping mechanism. You're welcome to indulge in it privately, or amongst groups of like-minded friends. However, sharing it publicly is inadvisable because not everyone will be able to appreciate any humour that is to be found in the situation. This is an ongoing issue that is affecting people. While you might be able to find entertainment in it there are likely those browsing this thread who have lost or are currently losing loved ones.

I won't speak for elsewhere on the site, but do not post Corona-chan in this thread. Likewise, seriously reconsider any black jokes you may be thinking of posting here.

2. TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

No, I think sane, rational human beings would have about the same reaction, either way. But sane, rational human beings aren't the ones you'd have to worry about. The people who strap bombs to their chests, on the other hand...

3. Biigoh

Biigoh Primordial Tanuki Moderator

/me snuggles Fishie

Renko, Imabot, d.fish and 1 other person like this.
  4. Ragnarok

Ragnarok Well worn.

Well that escalated quickly.

me-meboi and MerelysSoul like this.
  5. Renko

Renko Look closer ~☆

*munching popcorn*

:V

6. TheLastNanaya

TheLastNanaya Experienced.

This thread is admittedly becoming like a place of discussion that has been relocated in the center of a minefield :V

7. TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

On the plus side, things are starting to plateau out in most areas, which means that it won't get any worse than this and should start getting better soon (re: in a couple of weeks when the current asymptomatic carriers run their course). Of course, 'better' does not mean 'over', chances are pretty good it'll be months before this is over- and some places that refuse to practice proper quarantine might remain restricted for years.

As doomsday scenarios go, this one's proven rather less disastrous than it could have been.

Now let's just hope they don't do what they did with the first SARS outbreak and stop funding vaccine research the second it goes dormant. I was amongst those quite vocal about needing to complete a SARS vaccine back then, everyone just said we were being reactionary.

me-meboi, MerelysSoul, Imabot and 3 others like this.
  8. Smuthunter

Smuthunter Begone Thot!

That's basically what I've been saying since the start. This was never going to be the end of the world, not when our great grandparents survived Spanish Flu despite it being ten times worse than COVID and not even being able to make proper vaccines for it since microscopes powerful enough to see viruses and DNA strands didn't exist yet back then.

If you guys have some time to spare I recommend Extra History's video series on the subject.

me-meboi and MerelysSoul like this.
  9. MadGreenSon

MadGreenSon Verified Devil Tiger, The Childish Yandere

Not too worried about the end of the world here, just looking to make sure my father gets through this alright. He's in his 70s with lung issues and I'm not wanting to bury him just yet. I've managed thus far to keep the two of us pretty well isolated and it seems to be working.

10. OverReactionGuy

OverReactionGuy The only Sane one left

Yeah, this virus sucks for people with lung issues. I say this as one of them who really needs to avoid getting this virus.

My health issues started with a lung virus, I rather not have it end with a lung virus.

11. OverReactionGuy

Governor: we extended the lock down, blah blah blah, you can still go out to the public park with your families and go on the lake! Btw, you can't buy paint or non essential items to work on things around your house. Stay home, stay safe.

...I think she got her priorities a little shifted there.

Nickballas, Dakkaface, Jiven and 8 others like this.
  12. Aleh

Aleh Destroyer of Faith in Humanity

Umm... no.

The Spanish Flu was not ten times worse than COVID, and the lack of microscopes able to see viruses had little to do with why we didn't have a vaccine for it. We also still don't have microscopes powerful enough to see DNA -- not that either COVID or influenza have any -- in any meaningful sense. Very specialized techniques are needed to get the images you have likely seen; that requires specialized techniques like electron cryotomography. The original work on its structure was done using X-ray crystallography, which really, really can't be described in the terms you used.

Meanwhile, the flu vaccine vastly predates that work, with the first flu vaccinations dating to the early 1930s, and the widespread use of the flu vaccine to the 1940s. The formulation we still use today was developed in the 1950s.

The discovery of the structure of DNA is usually dated to February 1953.

In other words, ah, no.

Meanwhile, we still don't have a COVID vaccine, and won't for at least a year or two, so that side of things is utterly irrelevant.

13. Smuthunter

Smuthunter Begone Thot!

An estimated twenty million people dead in India alone says otherwise.

14. TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

It's India. A country where some religions still practice cannibalism. Their hygiene practices are... well, they regularly get Typhoid outbreaks. Typhoid. It's just salmonella, it's not hard to prevent the spread of salmonella. Cook your food, wash your hands, don't stick your tongue in an infected person's butthole. That's about all you have to do to prevent typhoid.

15. Smuthunter

Smuthunter Begone Thot!

And if I see similar numbers for this outbreak then I'll start to be concerned. What I'm not going to do is panic and start ranting on forums or social media about how terrible everything is, especially because so far everything has been going pretty great for me. I'll probably never get to just sit around and play video games for days at a time again before retirement, so I'm enjoying the heck out of this shutdown. You guys keep wringing your hands over it if you want but I'm not going to join in.

16. Aleh

You know what else the Spanish Flu is?

Done.

Meanwhile, it's only been 27 days since the 100th case there, and the exponential curve is only starting to take off.

17. Smuthunter

Smuthunter Begone Thot!

Yeah I'll believe it when I see it. From a medical professional, not from some guy on the internet.

CrossyCross, me-meboi and MerelysSoul like this.
  18. Aleh

You don't have to take my word for it. You just have to look at the infection graphs. Bing has a tracker that makes it easy. Here is Johns Hopkins's version, although I can't link directly to the page for India; just click on India in the country list and click "logarithmic"; you'll see the pattern soon enough.

Of course, those numbers are probably underestimates, given the fact that they only count confirmed cases and India has even more testing issues/gaps than we do here in the US.

19. seeing_octarine

seeing_octarine Unverified Colour

Please don't be one of those who looks at the absolute numbers to make comparisons. That won't tell you anything. Look at the mortality rates instead. The numbers typically thrown around for Spanish flu are somewhere in the range of 4-10% dead. I've seen official estimates for COVID-19 at around 3.5% and 6%, which are probably underestimates if we judge by how SARS estimates went. So really, Spanish flu and COVID-19 are in the same ballpark. Although what age groups are most affected is definitely a significant difference.

20. me-meboi

me-meboi I regret everything

• Rule 1. You should jsut not have said that kind of shit to start with, because that's frankly disgusting. No matter what, stop that shit of celebrating the misery of those you hate.
    I actually like the death and violence and religous madness so nakedly gripping everyone in my shithole of a country called India. Looking at the heartbroken faces of families who've lost such bright children, babies, parents and friends is quite heartwarming for me.

Did you also know that the city of Indore here tried to stone and mob some doctors coming there to inspect soem supected carrier cases to death and the doctors only barely got out alive after running for their lives while heavily injured? It's on video.

I have much to say about the religious fanatics the country is plagued and I don't even know where to start about those trash bags. So i will keep my mouth shut about it.

CrossyCross, MerelysSoul and TanaNari like this.
  21. OverMaster

OverMaster Well worn.

22. wichajster

wichajster Away

From article you linked: it was not a reinfection.

MerelysSoul likes this.
  23. OverMaster

OverMaster Well worn.

They said "highly likely" and not "certainly" which is why I in turn said may myself.

MerelysSoul likes this.
  24. LordZeddthedrunk

LordZeddthedrunk Not too sore, are you?

So it looks like China is calling Taiwan racist because of Taiwan is criticizing The WHO orgianization for its failure with the Covid-19

25. TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

I suppose favoring the human race over China is *a* definition of racism.

26. Megaolix

Megaolix Moderator

Let's not go into that conversation, shall we? The political side of it can be discussed on another website.

27. LordZeddthedrunk

So it looks like the virus has mutated into three strains

28. OverReactionGuy

lovely.

MerelysSoul likes this.
  29. LordZeddthedrunk

Here is what I found in pics.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

30. TotalAbsolutism

TotalAbsolutism Magnificent Bastard Moderator

Do these pictures have sources to back them up? Because, as we have learned from Train Dodger, it's very easy to just say things.