1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Agent Orange

Agent Orange Experienced.

Yeah. Demanding stuff from people while insulting and manhandling them doesn't endear you to them oddly enough, that being said I don't think she appreciates your tone :)

Gotta love the ham :) I forgot how fun she was!

"Tis but a scratch! Come on then, you pansy! Fight me!"

Hmmm, a temporary replacement?

Anti-SAN drain feature?

That's it, he'll forever be known as the Violet one :) Also, Damn, nazigirl doesn't hesitate in the slightest.

Is he always this dramatic when using his ring?

Just a quick field patch-up. Just like resetting your dislocated arm really.

This scene reminds me of just about the only thing worth watching in that Man of Steel remake with Henry Cavill - that fight scene against that Kryptonian chick. I remember how pleasantly surprised I was that they managed to portray what a fight between two superhumans should look like.

Now that's an introduction! Fire forged friendship would work even better because it's Raul.

Heh, waste not :) Also, yes a you shouldn't pass on the obvious power up before the big battle.

Nice chapter!

edit:

Why would another Paul of all people think that one of his altenates would have a soul to pull back from hell to begin with?

'Came from'? Or were 'based on' the Earth Prime Paul? Did other Pauls experience the same thing when Ambush Bug did his thing to OL? Why are they in denial about being copies of the real deal?

No soul to begin with guys. Never needed it to function the same way locals do.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2020
  2. Queshire

Queshire Not too sore, are you?

I find it interesting how relatively under equipped / under skilled Red is compared to the Paragon. He's described as using less advanced armor and other than the spells he doesn't seem to have any exotic abilities. Is it just lack of need in the Teen Titans verse or does the Orange Light up Paragon / Renegade's desire to increase their abilities as well?

3. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

safe -> save

Mr Zoat likes this.
  4. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

Like I said, all I know about the guy comes from a fanfic an the wiki. He seems to have started out as a nice guy but became more like Glory over time even as Glory became more human.

erebus1994 likes this.
  5. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Was it a Divine weapon with God power in it used while she was inside a Glory inhibiting field?

If not, then Zoat nerfed her, because that's what it actually takes to harm Glory.

Silveraith, Cuchulin and Razorfloss like this.
  6. Breadnaught

Breadnaught Experienced.

Oh yeah, I forgot that was a thing.

Then I guess the Ring ate the demonic spirit but continued operating the body with a Paul-emulation program of sorts.

Cuchulin and BlueMangoAdea like this.
  7. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Truth, Raul, truth! Seriously, from what I can see, she was exiled because she was an obnoxious bitch...

So, confirmed that Oz is a werewolf? Or is that one of those 'everyone knows that' things I missed?

Ah, we get to see Raul go all out, eh? Clean-up on Elm Street (or whatever road this is) is about to be needed.

Ooh, he pulled a Seras. Classic 'arm made of blood' move. Albeit napalm-blood...

And Overgirl leaps in to back him up. Aw, I wanted to see him rip and tear like Glory had Huge Guts and he was Doomguy...

Good to see he can maintain enough focus to remember that...

That and the fun of beating down motherfuckers with your sweetheart's help. Especially if you're beating one MF with another MF.

Oh, hey, he can heal. He just had to get angry enough at it!:D

Well, plan 'orbital insertion' sounds good. Unless she can fart her way back to Earth, she's screwed.

Unless something exotic like magic interferes.

Ah, he hasn't cottoned on that this is not the usual Supergirl...

Sounds like she's getting annoyed.

See, magic broke the deadlock. Sound slike it fizzled a bit though. Overgirl's mad enough a bit of SAN damage didn't slow her down...

OL not really bothering to put any effort in, is he? I guess he can see Raul and Overgirl have things in hand.

Ah, and here comes Zaul.

Well, Raul, looks like you found your guy. Now what?

Good move, given what you know of Black Lanterns...

Wait for it...

Worst case, Raul and OL can fry him in classic War of Light style, with a double-light combo... But let's put that on the back-burner, eh?

Hoo boy. Are they going to be second-guessing Zaul's action the whole time or what?

Yes, kind of have to respect that. Black Lanterns have hax powers as long as it's death-related.

Hush, you. The people are talking.

I say again, this Paul's life is suck incarnate... Even Anti-Green hasn't got it this bad...

Yeah, some of them have it in easy mode.

And where would that be? The graveyard?

Huh. So, technically, he's Vaul-for-vampire, not Zaul-for-zombie. Wonder what divine blood will do for him, if anything?

So, Black Lantern Paul is actually a Vampire? I think I'll stick with Zaul for him, though. Vaul is an asshole of an Eldar God... And barring any further misadventures, they can move on back to the Dream-ruby world in the next chapter or two.

...without a care save for the convenience...
    Capitalise these?

8. Agent Orange

Red ring AI is ... significantly less helpful than any other rings. It's not really aimed towards repair, healing or anything not immediately offence related and the only kind of deep scan it does it of destructive kind. That and his constant anger makes him less than patient or inclined to ask for help.

9. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.
    That's a style choice.
    Thank you, corrected.
    I don't have a lot of good to say about that film, but I liked how they portrayed those fights as well.

10. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

You do realize that Glory was an immortal dimension ruling Goddess? o_O

Silveraith and Cuchulin like this.
  11. Shotiegun11

Shotiegun11 Know what you're doing yet?

Or a "Divine weapon with God power in it used while she was inside a Glory inhibiting field" was the only way to kill her with stuff in the Buffyverse.

A Black Power Ring is not from the Buffyverse. Black Power Rings may do some Gae Bulg causality shifting bullshit through Glory's own emotions to be able to rip out and consume her heart.

12. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.

13. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Red rings are VERY good at breaking things, but in everything else... not so much.
    Their most unique quality seems to be acid spit.
    Still it is nice to know that Raul can reattach limbs if they are removed.

Power Rings are extremely powerful tools that can allow mortals to battle gods and win if used properly.

Even if his ring didn't have that big a charge maybe the energy it gives of is harmful to someone like Glory, not because it is more powerful than her, but because something about it just hurts her on a deep level.

Also she may no be dead as Zaul just ripped out her heart while she was distracted, she could probably survive that if the ring doesn't hurt her on a fundamental level

14. BlueMangoAdea

BlueMangoAdea Alive. For now.

If so, I wonder if Zaul could do it again? Keep ripping her hearts out for PROFIT!!!

15. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

There was this fic on SB by Islandhopper featuring a Red Lantern SI who rips out his own heart and places it in a lantern to recharge his ring.

Maybe Zaul can do something like that with Glory, or any other high tier evil entity.

Cuchulin likes this.
  16. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Shitty DC First World Gods, which are nothing like the beings in Buffy that go around creating and ruling entire dimensions.

Which would be creating a weakness which didn't previously exist.

IE nerfing her.

Cuchulin likes this.
  17. Queshire

Queshire Not too sore, are you?

Shall we count the number of dimensional lords regularly faced and defeated by superheroes in comics? I know that Doctor Strange somewhat specializes in them, but I'm sure DC must have a few of their own.

18. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Hades in the comics and the animated show is the ruler of the Underworld and has fought the League, or a lone hero, and lost several times

The First of the Fallen, around who hell formed, was beat by a succubus and a chain smoking street magician.

Lucifer, who is capable of making suns, has been beat by beings that are much weaker than him.

Dream of the Endless was trapped by humans, twice, once in the original comics and in the 2018 issues of The Dreaming
    The ring has a connection to Nekron, who is a powerful cosmic being, possibly more powerful than the other emotional entities, like the Ophidian, who when merging with Paul was able to casually move the Moon.

19. desolatedsabers

desolatedsabers Know what you're doing yet?

Plus a black ring is the personification of the silence of death, which can affect godly beings. Even if it doesn't kill her, making a god experience mortality for a split second can rupture metaphysical bonds quick enough to deal with them until they have a new host.

20. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

Shao Kahn is an immortal dimension ruling God....still gets bicycle kicked to death by a screaming shaolin monk half the time.

And he was giving top billing with Darkseid when they went to make a video game crossing over with DC.

Glory's titles and off screen accomplishments don't mean much because there is no context for any of it. Any one can claim Godhood until someone forces them to back it up.

I'm rusty on my Buffy lore, but Glory's been hit with Slayer Levels of super strength and laughed it off, been hit with the odd motor vehicle or construction equipment and was slowed down. Been hit with a Troll hammer waved around by a Slayer and got a bit bloodied. Impressive resistance for street level superheros, but by energy output alone not actually that impressive compared to say....the explosives used to blow up the Mayor in his demon form. Or even that rocket launcher used on whatisface.

The fact that she face tanked a kryptonian that doesn't have problems killing puny humans is far more impressive, because before that I'd actually have put money on OL's Railguns, or force equivalent to at least slowing her down.

As for exotic defenses vs black lantern ring, closest comparison I can think of would be Wonder Woman during that period. She's a demigoddess on DC's powerscale and the ring took her for a ride despite any resistance she had, because she'd physically died before. It took a full goddess and a violet power ring, as well as a lot of struggle to get the ring off her again.

21. Agent Orange

That and, in BtvS, demon-possessed mortal bodies seem to be generally much more resistant to blunt force trauma and yet paradoxically made of wet tissue paper in the area surrounding the heart. That's why even muggles can just sink in 'stakes' into otherwise superhumanly though creatures of the night.

22. Yog

Yog Know what you're doing yet?

Well, damn. Being a vampire... On one hand - he didn't have a soul, so I'm not sure how that would work. On another, he's not really Paul, he's a demon born from Paul. I'm guessing that the lack of homicidal urges is from that "didn't have a soul when vampirized" part.

Orange's ensouling would be detrimental to him, as the local energies on Hellmouth are of a bad kind.

I'm guessing they could do elemental conversion with the violet ring? Or do some grafts from an angel?

I am also very surprised that Glorificus could stand up to a Kryptonian. Yes, a hybrid, but still. Also that her heart provided so little a charge.

Cuchulin and dogbertcarroll like this.
  23. BlueMangoAdea

24. Agent Orange

Unless I misunderstood that WoZ snippet way back, he's not really a demon. He just has a body animated via demon juju (and consequently needs to drink blood the same way I need coffee to function). The blood demon that was supposed to take up residence got nommed by the ring. He never needed a soul (or substitute) to be a person. Unlike locals.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2020
  25. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

In the show the demon replaces the human when a vamp bites them, but I think this version of Paul was bit by a vamp, but the ring destroyed the demon that tried to inhabit him.

When the SI went to Hell Satanus specifically planned for that and had some of Mammon's power leaking the realm, so maybe the paragon won't be affected this time.

Glory's heart provided so low a charge because he just took the emotion, not the power she wielded.

26. BlueMangoAdea

Which is kinda strange, because this WOZ post says that the blood demon that tried to inhabit Zaul got nommed by the ring for 2% charge. I wonder why Glory's charge is so low.

Chaoswind and dogbertcarroll like this.
  27. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

It probably just took the emotional energy and not the magical energy.

Cuchulin and dogbertcarroll like this.
  28. Gantradies

Gantradies Not too sore, are you?

it also warrants mention that whatever physical and arcane Defenses Glory had,they -could not- have been designed for this specific attack vector,given that it was entirely alien to the section of the multiverse the buffyverse occupies (multiple universi/sub-dimensions, from memory)- and it -wasn't- a "normal" magical attack- late-stage clarktech isnt really a thing in this setting- it essentially read as the black ring's attack simply going right through her magical defenses-
    like someone getting knifed right through a ballistic vest that didnt have stab protection, in essence...

29. nick012000

nick012000 Gone for Good

Yes. That's literally what Black Lantern Rings are: the extensions of Nekron, the personification of "Death as Final Enemy". That's part of why they were going around casually killing the likes of Superman and the Flash. Killing some junior league goddess is well within their powers, as long as she had previously died and come back to life - and IIRC that's why she was possessing the guy to begin with.

30. Senevri

Senevri Not too sore, are you?

It's a meaningless distinction for now, and thinking they're original is probably better for their mental health. They could also be split from an original Paul and they should be aware they might be fiction, but none of them spend much screen time pondering on that.