1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Agent Orange

Agent Orange Experienced.

You'd think that acknowledging your state of being would be an advantage in this situation? How do you make any use of your genre savvynes if you keep ignoring it and pretending that story tropes aren't as strong or stronger than local laws of physics?

Gantradies likes this.
  2. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I think it has to do with the fact that most, or at least some, story tropes don't really work.

One comic trope is that every single criminal in Gotham goes to Arkham Asylum, but in this story Zoat said that only the truly insane go there, and not people like the Penguin because they are not insane.
    Mr Freeze was sent there not because he was insane, but because it had the equipment it needed to help him with his condition

3. SirKaid

SirKaid Know what you're doing yet?

That's what it takes for a street level superhero and her support staff to kill her, not what it takes for a planet level superhero using a galactic level supervillain's tool to kill her.

Your argument is the same as saying that because Green Arrow would require kryptonite to kill Superman, so too would Wonder Woman. Just like how Wonder Woman can use enough raw force to make it past Superman's physical resistance, Black Lantern Paul can put out enough force to kill Glory.

So fucking what? That has absolutely no bearing on Glory's combat feats.

4. Agent Orange

Agent Orange Experienced.

I'm not sure I agree with this. Zoat did a pretty good job at making this setting feel realistic and to find Watsonian explanations for a lot of situations but at the end of the day there's still way too many issues that only work with story tropes in place. They simply don't have anything but Doylistic causes.

I already covered global issues in my magic rant but if you want to stick just to Gotham 'street level' examples, the reason a "peak human" like Batman can work on a level he does, triumphing against the opponents he regularly faces is that 'Charles Atlas Superpower' and 'Inverse Ninja Law' tropes are a thing in-universe. Otherwise he'd be either a posterboy for 'retired boxers' or, more likely, dead. The same goes for the rest of his clan and a lot of his Rogues.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2020
    Cuchulin likes this.
  5. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Mr Zoat, can we get some confirmation if this actually killed Glory? I've never watched the series, but what I've read here on the thread and on the wiki really paints a horrible picture about her, so I hope she's gone for good.

Prince Charon, Vorian and Darko like this.
  6. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Tune in to find out tomorrow!

Ardy, Vorian and Caerwen like this.
  7. BlueMangoAdea

BlueMangoAdea Alive. For now.

Mr Zoat: "The SIs don't know."

8. Gantradies

Gantradies Not too sore, are you?

you know, that could actually make a fascinating paper/subject for discussion in-universe in the next quiet period- the implications/potentially fallout of people, either in private, or in academia proper, giving this kinda thing consideration could be VERY interesting/entertaining...

interactions between technology/magical artifacts from realities with differing physical laws- if, how and why something ignores something, has bizarre interactions ect- interesting and highly useful, given the increasing number of dimension incursions between near and far-parallel worlds...

...like- we know the Danner and Garrick formula's from U16 are -violently- incompatible, but does the same interaction apply if one or both are created from or with materials from another universe, or are a variant from a universe/world that has noticeably different effects/levels of strength- or the BL Ring blowing right through that Narcissistic twit's defenses for an instant KO....

Ngamer11, Cuchulin and Agent Orange like this.
  9. WaleXdraK

WaleXdraK Not too sore, are you?

it’s true it wasn’t , it was just the special ability from a ring created by one of the facet of the concept of Death from another dimension who can consume live when used on being feeling strong emotion.........

10. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

OK, I have no knowledge of buffy the vampire slayer but is glory being the bitch here? she asked to go home Raul offered to help before threatening to murder her to which she responded by attacking him.

idk about you but if I was a superpowered being and some guy threatened to kill me for no good reason I'd probably leap at them to demonstrate that murdering me might not be worth the effort.
    then Raul puked on her which would also make anyone a little pissed.

11. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

She did also cause some property damage and was threatening people

Prince Charon and DAT_NOOB like this.
  12. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

the property damage seemed like a bad landing and she got puked on before threatening Raul

13. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Most of the things that tend to break things in the Buffy verse tend to be evil monsters

DAT_NOOB likes this.
  14. jaelin910

jaelin910 habitual lurker

It's an excuse, yes, but it's not really reasonable; he indicated a willingness (and presumed an ability) to kill her if she caused trouble and she immediately responded by trying to probably-kill him. That's objectively pretty shitty of her but it could be mitigated by circumstances... except that the next bit-
    -is pretty typical for her; she was punishing a perceived insult from pond scum not lashing out in panic or anything.
    I mean, he was being an asshole too but that's not really relevant to his point.

Ngamer11, Prince Charon and DAT_NOOB like this.
  15. Ace Dreamer

Ace Dreamer Questioning The Nature of our Realities

'than'?
    missing 'on'?

Nice fight scene, definitely seemed in character for Glory - lots of violence, little thought about consequences. Interesting to find Oz a werewolf this early, but I guess it's likely more butterflies, with teething baby werewolves biting early. I did like the Glory death scene - almost an ironic end for a pretty heartless monster. I'm guessing the Black Ring reached through to the mortal/Ben part. What Glory blood will do should be fun...

Yes, I am curious what OL(currently VL) is doing during this...

16. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

Mr Zoat?
    How do you make black lettering more black for Black Lantern speech?

17. ForeverShogo

ForeverShogo Not too sore, are you?

And Oz is apparently already a werewolf.

You, uh, might want to change the dates then. You have these snippets happening in 1997, but Oz didn't find out vampires existed or get turned into a werewolf until early 1998.

18. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Well that was odd.

There is nothing in Blackest Night that indicates black lanterns have FSN gae bolg nonsense going for them that doesn't fail the occam's razor test in my opinion, that I can recall.

They rip hearts out with their bare hands.

Now is that a feat normally impossible? Sure. Especially on someone with superhuman durability like say Atrocitus.

But lanterns being able to give themselves superhuman strength is an established feat in the comics.

Three of G'Norts comrades from the Idiot Lantern Corps gave themselves superstrength. Two to be "heroes locked in eternal glorious combat with each other" and another for the mundane utility of starting his own moving company.

And those who living lanterns, not undead zombies who regenerate faster than Wolverine, so it's not like the black lanterns have to worry about long term damage....

Plus it's not like zombies being superstrong is somehow off brand.

19. PrinceJonathan

PrinceJonathan Versed in the lewd.

HA! Jokes on you, she's a Nazi! They're already insane.

One is a disembodied soul serving as the AI of a Black Lantern Power Ring, the other is a blood-demon parasite currently puppeting his corpse. Together they eat people...and sometimes fight crime.

Yes I know Paul doesn't start the game with a Soul, but it's still funny

20. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

She's dead, Jim. The other two demon gods stuck her in as close an approximation of a human form as they could. Yes, her magic supercharges her, but she has a whole lot of physical vulnerabilities that she couldn't get rid of until she went home.
    Before or after you cause massive damage to the centre of a down?
    Thank you, corrected.
    Just, you know, color=black.
    What can I say, Jordy's a biter.

21. PDV

PDV Revelation That Uncertainty Is Itself An Answer

I don't think she's died (before this). She was sent into Ben at his birth to bind her, she might not even have been killable before that.

Cuchulin likes this.
  22. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

That's gonna be a hell of a power up.

Might be the equivalent of draining several Slayers dry.

dogbertcarroll and Caerwen like this.
  23. Stsword

While I don't believe it was either required or even implied that the other two Hellgods killed her when they exiled her and imprisoned her in human flesh and blood in BtVS, there's nothing that actually precludes it either.

Turning a living hellgod into a human baby and turning a dead hellgod into a human baby are arguably about the same on levels of impressiveness mojo wise.

nobodez and Cuchulin like this.
  24. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Even just reading Glory's Wikia entry would tell you that that was wrong...

25. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

She was killed by a weapon powered by a more powerful God when she was not at full power.

Yes, Glory is powerful but so is Darkseid and Darkseid has been killed... by a bullet of all things.

Sure it was not a permanent death for Darkseid, but there won't be much of Glory left once Vampire Paul drains her body dry of tasty God fueled blood.

Ngamer11, Ardy, Prince Charon and 3 others like this.
  26. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

In fairness to Darkseid the bullet did have radion, which is basically New God kryptonite

Cuchulin likes this.
  27. Torriz

Torriz Your first time is always over so quickly, isn't it?

Slightly confused between the Violet and Orange usage here. Is Raul refering to Paragon as one and then the other? Should that be consistent?

28. Stsword

Not really.

It is a weakness, yes, but it was actually shown to not penetrate defenses before nor did it weaken powers.

Kalibak shot his brother Orion in the face at point blank range with a radion blaster.

The result?

Orion got pissed and beat Kalibak to within an inch of his life.

Whereas Highfather's wife, when shot with a radion blaster, died instantly. The New Gods were surprised that Desaad invented a weapon that kills instantly.

Now Darkseid, well, honestly I can't recall seeing him being shot by actual bullets before. And DC has this weird thing where people who can get smacked in the face by Superman aren't bullet proof, like Wonder Woman for most of her career, as if that makes sense.

Or the DC writers, being paid in booze and drugs, made it like kryptonite when it very much wasn't before.

29. Siskulous

Siskulous Know what you're doing yet?

If I remember correctly that theory is totally disproven by Black Lantern Batman since Bruce Wayne wasn't actually dead for that whole deal.

Cuchulin likes this.
  30. Stsword

But the clone was dead.

But you are right, Black Lanterns don't require the souls of their hosts.

Deadman was rather disturbed by his corpse getting some bling and walking around during Blackest Night.

They somehow made a black lantern out of Spectre, so apparently souls can be involved. Perhaps black lanterns with souls explain the rebellious black lanterns- Osiris called down lightning to melt his ring rather than serve Nekron. Johnny Quick spent quality time with his daughter. Driq was able to communicate through his green ring.

From a Solomon Grundy storyline in which Phantom Stranger made sure that Solomon Grundy's curse was broken before Blackest Night, it would seem that an undead getting a black lantern ring is a very very bad thing. Probably what should have happened is that Black Lantern Paul became a full fledged vampire with all the benefits of being a Black Lantern to boot.

I don't blame Zoat for not being interested in writing a story with a demon version of him unleashing a zompire apocalypse.

Black lantern's have an infectious bite. Donna Troy started seeing people's auras after getting bitten.

Bramble Thorn, Caerwen and Cuchulin like this.