1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. jonasquinn

jonasquinn I trust you know where the happy button is?

I mean, not really?

The whole idea of the multiverse is that there are infinite realities that range from slightly different from each other to unrecognisably different it's inevitable that there would be some realities where despite not having the DC heroes active there are still completely normal versions of them

Hal Jordan could never get his ring, Bruce Wayne could live a happy life with his parents or Clark Kent could be just born a regular human or even an alien that doesn't get superpowers from the Sun

Drawing the line at "this particular character happens to have an alternate self in this reality" is a little weird don't you think?

2. ForeverShogo

ForeverShogo Not too sore, are you?

The existence of the Hitler clone should be meaningless. It's not Hitler. He wasn't even raised to be a Nazi only to abandon it later in life.

Like, maybe if she was in a universe where the conspiracy theories about Hitler escaping to South America were true and he had abandoned Nazism, felt remorse for ever making Nazism a thing, and had an inter-racial family. I could see THAT being a shock to the system.

But the clone is never going to be anything more than someone who happens to be physically identical to Hitler.

A shame we'll probably never see how Overman and Overgirl end up reforming the system. Because I don't see either of them willing to do the things you'd have to do to destroy Nazism in their world. Unless you think they'd make amends for genocide by committing their own genocide.

I still think best you're going to get is them using their power, popularity, and longevity to try to "redeem" Nazism and make it into what they think it should be rather than what it is. Though I also imagine even that will be a struggle. Most people on Earth 10 probably only care that the Nazis gave them utopian living conditions. Even if they cheated their way to it by reverse-engineering Kryptonian technologies.

3. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

So basically they will try to make their government more benevolent for everyone, like how Baul was trying to make the Syndicate more practical and benevolent.

Speaking of -14 that could be a way in which we see them reforming the system.
    Paul and Zatanna went there and managed to work something out, so maybe Paul will help Karl and Angelika with their world

Prince Charon likes this.
  4. jonasquinn

First off I would remind you that the Nazis put way too much emphasis on "purity of genes" and their supposed "genetic superiority"

Having a complete genetic copy of their founder and hero not only disagree with their ideology but also living a happy life with a black wife and mixed race children kind of fundamentally disproves that belief and would be a huge blow to them

Keep in mind that the Nazis already won a long time ago in their reality, they've already done most of the stuff they said they were going to and while there are a few groups of "subhumans" left that's almost entirely because of Karl refusing to allow any more Purges to occur

I imagine that what Karl and Angelika would try to do would be to get their society to view the Purges as a horrible catastrophe that didn't need to happen and served no real purpose rather than celebrating them, ensuring that they never happen again and helping the survivors recover and rebuild as best as they can

It would be extraordinarily difficult but still possible

5. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

That's the DC multiverse.

The Buffy universe is different from that in that it's very specifically an artificially constructed universe created by the Seed of Wonder. Meaning, unlike the various DC multiverses which all spawn off of Earth Prime, without actual divine intervention there wouldn't be any DC doppelgangers existing there.

Cuchulin likes this.
  6. ForeverShogo

ForeverShogo Not too sore, are you?

Yes. Sure. But even the Nazis didn't think their beliefs were part of their genetic code. They still felt the need to indoctrinate and Germanize acceptable peoples.

The Hitler clone doesn't really disprove anything because an ardent Nazi would probably just get angry that you cloned Hitler just to indoctrinate him into degeneracy or whatever the fuck they'd call it.

infinityDivided likes this.
  7. TheMidnightRook

TheMidnightRook Well worn.

By that logic, Zaul shouldn't be there either and Time Trapper shouldn't have been able to drop off Raul, Overgirl and the SI, and yet here we are.

8. jonasquinn

I mean, an ardent Nazi will deny any evidence proving them wrong, of which there is a lot, but one that's already doubting themselves will find encountering a total genetic replica of Hitler and having him hate everything to do with Nazism is pretty significant
    I dunno, that sounds like some Life Entity shenanigans to me

9. zerofarad

zerofarad Know what you're doing yet?

Very powerful chapter. I like it.

10. Siskulous

Siskulous Know what you're doing yet?

Is it just me or was OL's reaction at the end a little out of character? When's the last time we saw him be that short with anyone? I mean, yeah, she fucked up pretty hard there, but he's usually a master of looking at things from other people's viewpoints and being understanding and patient with them no matter how difficult and/or stupid they're being (the highest of virtues when dealing with people).

Darko and DrThoth like this.
  11. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

He did just have to deal with red-him getting distracted in the same way.

12. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

He is having a stressful day.

Also he doesn't always view things from other people's perspectives. The thing with Nabu comes to mind.

Prince Charon and Lupercal like this.
  13. jonasquinn

I think at any other time OL would be overjoyed about Angelika confronting her issues but now is not the time

They're in the middle of an interdimensional mission, trying to avoid attracting the attention of one of the most dangerous people in DC short of the Anti-Monitor or Darkseid and he's just had to deal with cleaning up Raul's mess

14. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

Agreed, though better now than when she confronts Red Skull or Arnim Zola (which she just might).

Last edited: Apr 15, 2020
    Darko, jonasquinn and True Ninja like this.
  15. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Oh this reminds me, there is a crossover that ties DC comics to Buffy in the comics.

Fallen Angel (originally published by DC) is a stealth sequel to Supergirl, she showed up as Lin, the former defender of the city of Bete Noir.

Illyria from Angel showed up in Bete Noir to retrieve one of her icons, the three pieces her power was placed in when she was killed.

So Linda Danvers was the guardian of the city that hid a piece of Illyria.

Prince Charon, jonasquinn and Darko like this.
  16. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Yes and no.

Yes, Illyria was in Fallen Angels, and no, Lin was not Supergirl.

Also that was non-canon to Buffy.

17. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Hmm, I can believe you, or apply critical thinking skills and believe the author who flat out stated that Lin was Linda Danvers.

Author- "Can I say this is Linda Danvers? Of course I can't. However, it's pretty freaking obvious that it is."

I think I'll apply critical thinking skills, thank you

18. Threadmarks: Repetition (part 16)
    Mr Zoat

12th August 1997
    23:58 GMT -7

"A few hours, Angelika."

I shake my head at her, trying not to look at the burning pits Red-me burned into the Sunnydale landscape. It's not that I don't understand why. Empathic vision shows clearly that she's now part way towards resolving her internal contradictions. In any circumstances other than one in which we'd been told specifically not to encounter parallel universe versions of ourselves I'd be delighted.

"I-. I know."

"Fucking red wanker!"

"Heart ready for-"

There's a quiet poof as William the Bloody turns into a pile of dust.

"-harvesting."

Can't say Red isn't efficient. With Mayor Wilkins, Spike and Glory dead, I guess Buffy can take a year off to actually have a life. A few years, actually. I wonder if her desire to get her slayer-work done as quickly as possible would make her a good choice for an orange ring?

"Are you finished?"

Red nods. "That's it for now."

"We're work-." I make a point of flying through Red Queen's portal and waiting for them. Angelika is through a moment later, followed first by Red and then Black. "We're working for a time traveller. Why could none of you wait?"

"Red ring."

"And if you were a feral monster I'd accept that for an answer."

"I'm not making an excuse, I'm saying-. It encourages you to think-" The portal closes. "-in certain ways. And-."

"And I use an orange ring. I wanted them dead too, but that doesn't mean that I couldn't wait until we're done."

He frowns. "Really? I'd have thought that you'd have had to embrace our impulsive side."

"I learned not to indulge myself."

Komand'r flies over my head with an unpleasant chuckle. "Bet that makes your girlfriend happy." She kisses Red. Loudly. "Hey bae. Kill anyone good?"

"No, I only kill bad people. And you know vampires don't leave good skulls."

She floats on to take a look at Black. "And this is the new you?"

He leans away. "Tamaranean. I don't like sunlight."

"Yeah, I see that."

"The point I was making is that I've learned to act when I'm angry. The things that make me angry are -I think- things that a right-thinking person would get angry about, but condition themselves to accept. Time Trapper didn't tell us not to kill people, we know they're bad-."

"Get over here!"

We look around at Time Trapper's exclamation, then fly over to the spire.

"Alright, simple question: have any of you had any contact with parallel universe versions of yourselves before?"

Angelika glances awkwardly at me. Red and Black shake their heads, while I nod.

"Yes."

"How many?"

"Ten different versions. I met the blue version of me-. Us, from Earth negative fourteen. I also visited his parallel. I also.. got.. visions of three other versions of us; an indigo version, a version with an anti-green ring and-" I nod at Red. "-you."

"Me?"

"I saw you rescuing Komand'r from some police officers and… I think you had a good argument, there. And then I.. saw you return to your home with her, stow your armour-. You keep skulls?"

"I feel immense satisfaction whenever I look at them."

"You've met before?!"

"No, just-. Ambush Bug did something that made me see parts of their lives from their perspective. And then the next year I got visions of a yellow ring user, someone with angel wings grafted to his back and several other orange ring users."

"And you didn't think to mention that?"

"You came to me, having met me before. You didn't ask. I don't know how this works."

"And it was Ambush Bug who did it?"

"Irwin Schwab, yes."

"Wait." Komand'r's starting to smile. "Do you insist on using everyone's real name as well?" Her smile grows, and she elbows Red. "You do!"

"Indigo." The Time Trapper nods. "Indigo. We can work with that. The indigo light can serve as a link… Did he have a staff?"

"Yes." I frown. "Which… Seems a little unfair." I look at Red. "Did you-?"

He shakes his head. "Lord Atrocitus gave me one. You?"

"Alan Scott gave me his. Black?"

"I don't use a lantern. I don't even know where this ring came from."

"'This ring'?"

"Yes?"

"Say 'my ring'."

"Why?"

"I spent a year being literally incapable of saying 'my ring' until I met my ring's creator and she gave me the ability. It was always 'this ring' or 'the ring'."

Red raises his eyebrows. "You met your ring's creator?"

"You haven't?"

"No, this-. My ring, the ring I'm wearing now, was made by Lord Atrocitus. He took the ring I started with because he didn't trust it."

"Can you call it 'my ring'?"

"The ring-. The ring-." He blinks. "No, I can't."

"Did you ever talk to the Controllers?"

"Why would I? Lord Atrocitus hates them for being part of the Manhunter development program."

"Black?"

"If I left the Earth, I might forget 'why' and just float there for eternity."

Time Trapper exhales. "Though it does suggest that Controller Hinon is disturbingly insecure, it's just a memetic program. Red Queen, please open-."

A new portal opens.

"Thank you. You need to acquire this Indigo Lantern, or confirm his disappearance. If you get him, I can get to work on-."

"That portal isn't mine."

Last edited: Apr 22, 2020
  19. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

Oh, dear.

20. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

The second 'that' doesn't sound right but I don't know how to fix it because I can't tell what OL means to say.
    bae -> babe (?)
    Shits gunna go down.

21. Queshire

Queshire Not too sore, are you?

Angel rings should be wings

22. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

The IDW portion of the run directly states that Lee wasn't Linda Danvers...

You really really should read up on things you debate instead of relying on massively out of date wikia articles.

Oglymogly likes this.
  23. Whenever Possible

Whenever Possible Versed in the lewd.

Ah, so Paulragon experiences some of the other paul viewpoints from various chapters? But presumably not renegrayven or Time Trapper chapters.

I wonder what the distinction means.

Edit: my first guesses are the foreign soul structures that Desaad's father box stapled to renegrayven and Time Trapper's atemporal nature. But there are presumably hundreds of other Paul's that Paulragon didn't have visions of.

24. Oglymogly

Oglymogly I trust you know where the happy button is?

Holy crap, that was the second compulsion? I could never figure it out! And I burned out on the full thread read through right as I got to that arc. Dann. Well, now I know.

25. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

wait does this only apply when referring to the ring he arrived with? cause it can't be saying the words 'my ring' as Raul says those words just before?

26. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

angel wings not angel rings

'that we can't wait' not just 'that wait'

Did paragon have an adventure offscreen when he saw those other versions of himself, or is this what Ambush Bug did to him coming back, if not then how did he see these other versions?

27. Kindlus

Kindlus Getting out there.

Yo0o could some one link me to the angel rings wiki idk what they are but there referenced in this chap as a substitute of a lantern ring bit I can't find info on it anywhere

ChestBurster and DAT_NOOB like this.
  28. BlueMangoAdea

BlueMangoAdea Alive. For now.

Probably wings, but angel halos grafted to a person's back sounds awesome.

Edit: Ninja'd

29. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    That's how teh kidz say it.
    Thank you, corrected.
    Yes.

30. BlueMangoAdea

BlueMangoAdea Alive. For now.

Huh. So I've looked at the dates, to see if I missed anything. Paragon's POV stopped at March 18th, and restarts at April 2nd, so presumably Ambush Bug appeared again a day before Repetition began. No idea why Mr Zoat decided to skip that, though. Maybe we will see it.