1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

That, or maybe to make the multiverse a better place by manipulating time, like Epoch in JL Odyssey, who tried to alter time, but in a more 'surgical' manner compared to other more blunt manners.

Now we just wait for Azrael to make an appearance.

Arghonn likes this.
  2. GodKiller999

GodKiller999 Getting out there.

There's so many perspective it's hard to stay invested, I'm liking the event in itself, but I think it would have been better solely from OL perspective, a big part of that is that we're getting the perspective from different Pauls.

3. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

I am liking the episode, the constant POV changes are neat so long as you manage to immediately figure out who is the new POV now.

I think this whole episode will be a lot better once we can read the whole thing in a single sitting.

I wonder if Mr Zoat can be convinced to hyperlink the first appearance of each Paul whenever the POV changes.

Hell's Razer, PDV, CTrees and 2 others like this.
  4. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

And it's official, Time Trapper is the Final Boss of this arc.

Jaron, Lupercal and Darko like this.
  5. jaelin910

jaelin910 habitual lurker

[Citation needed]

Hell's Razer, Ardy, BoML and 2 others like this.
  6. Agent Orange

Agent Orange Experienced.

HERESY!!! People like you are the reason Ambush Bug has so much work!

Jesus Tapdancing Christ TT! You approached him? What were you thinking?! There's desparate and then there's suicidally genre blind. This whole mess is on him then? Save Scumming is a fine tactic but it's not something you use on the likes of Krona

7. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

This makes me want to see Controller Time Trapper come back. If only because I think that is the only way Time Trapper Paul will find peace: in oblivion.

8. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

He's Time Trapper, self sabotage is quite literally a part of his character.

Mors, Jaron, Lupercal and 2 others like this.
  9. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

So long as time trapper stays as any version other then the superboy prime version I'm happy.

Arghonn likes this.
  10. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

You're welcome to your opinion, and I couldn't disagree with you more. I'm glad it wasn't JUST about OL. He's our SI but he doesn't HAVE to play the staring role all the time. I've really enjoyed the multiple viewpoints and coming to know other Paul's and their motivations. I'm surprised to feel positive about Raul but he's really grown on me. Lots of thing have had to go right, with quite a few important players, to get this far and I'm pleased we've seen all those players.

11. Agent Orange

Agent Orange Experienced.

Superboy Prime was a Time Trapper?

12. LazySloth13

LazySloth13 Versed in the lewd.

Man even if Time Trapper managed to figure out how to save his timeline from non-existence there's going to be at least half a dozen Pauls who are going to be pissed, not already counting the red ring Paul's, who's Jade or significant other was caught in the crossfire of Krona's plan. Most of them maybe 'heroes' of one shade or another but that mostly out of survival given the nature of the new worlds they found themselves in, but I wouldn't put it past them to come to the collective conclusion that if he continues to exist there exist a chance of another crisis, so they either in prison him or execute him.

Cuchulin, Lupercal and Darko like this.
  13. Ace Dreamer

Ace Dreamer Questioning The Nature of our Realities

Who 'he' is isn't clear to me. Also, in context, the sentence is confusing.

Interesting episode, this whole arc's been fun.

Now we're sure who TT is (yes, we might have guessed, but, time travel messes-up most logic), and what his objectives are might be clearer. I'm wondering how much subjective time he's been in the DC setting - decades? centuries? longer? That sort of thing can really mess you up.

And, looks like he's not has a Ring to help him stay stable (if you think they do that...).

Prince Charon and Darko like this.
  14. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Krona.
    I'll try and make it clearer.

15. ForeverShogo

ForeverShogo Not too sore, are you?

Not really a fan of the "oh, you can't make big changes or time gets angry" thing . . . But I think Time Trapper is trying to find a way to make his doomed timeline into a fully realized part of the Multiverse.

I don't think he plans to erase any other timelines or universes to make it happen, though from the sound of things I also don't think he'd care if that was the price to be paid.

As is typical for an orange, he is supremely selfish.

16. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Welp I think many people suspected we were going to see a version of Paul that got his MINE! MINE! tendencies make him do some pretty shitty things that hurt a lot of innocent people.

Caerwen, Lupercal and Prince Charon like this.
  17. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

OK, this seems like something that I'll want to take a look at, so thank you.

CTrees and Darko like this.
  18. Mr Zoat

It's worth a read, but be warned that it's a deadfic.

19. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

I could point out these kind of arcs have always been a letdown since Zero Hour at the very least.

There is a reason why when done as cartoons they did them in two episodes or a single movie.

BBJimmy likes this.
  20. WereDragon

WereDragon Bookwyrm

I suspect there is a lot of that going around.

As to the arc itself… it has been interesting even if confusing and unengaging due to the constant shifts. My main concern however is what sort of fallout it will have. If everything just goes back to how it was or if things just continue as if nothing of import happened then the arc and all its build-up will indeed have been very much wasted.

BBJimmy, True Ninja and Darko like this.
  21. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Zoat said the paragon will remember this, so maybe even if he does alter time to go to the past and stop this from happening he will still remember it, unless Zoat decided to change things and have him forget.

Ardy and Lupercal like this.
  22. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Probably "Out of the" unless that's dialect, but the only dialects I'm familiar with that omit "of" there are very much not dialects I would expect one of the SI's to speak. (Of course, that doesn't rule out dialects I'm not familiar with.)

Chojin Patriarch likes this.
  23. jonasquinn

jonasquinn I trust you know where the happy button is?

I 100% agree, the disappearance of OL without any acknowledgement, the constant perspective shifts, the focusing on characters that I, and I imagine most other readers, couldn't care less about and the inability to stay concentrated on a specific scene, like jumping from OL finally returning to a story that's meant to be about him just to then immediately jump to another character we don't give a shit about

Its a shame, I was really looking forward to this arc but now it's joined Mandate and the Heaven arcs as my least favourite ones that I'm just skimming through as they're updated and will read through properly once it's finished then ignore its existence hoping that it never comes up again

Darko likes this.
  24. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Yeah it is difficult considering that we have been used to only seeing the POV of the mc and not that much of other characters.

This is actually pretty good to be honest, but we just aren't used to it, unlike in say Life Ore Death where we got different POV from the other characters early on and got used to it, but in this fic we are used to only reading about the mc's POV and just find it difficult with the constantly changing POV.

25. PDV

PDV Revelation That Uncertainty Is Itself An Answer

The only aspect of the perspective shifting I've found unsatisfying is Paragon getting captured off screen. Though I do like the suggestion of linking to their first interlude; maybe the "timestamps" could be linkified? Though most recent interlude might be better than first.

Anyone feel like making a poor man's threadmark list for each of the variant Pauls? Color/Universe(/variant trait, like Common Sense, if U is Young Justice), then a list of the insallments, in order, they appeared in.

Prince Charon, Vorian, Darko and 2 others like this.
  26. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

In the comics

[​IMG]

27. Vlad

Vlad I trust you know where the happy button is?

At this point I would pick a universe and copy paste Earth's from defunct timelines and copy paste them to another universe. China timeline still gets to be defunct, but a copy of China-OL Solar System is copied to Paragon OL's universe, but just a few dozen light years over.

dogbertcarroll and Vorian like this.
  28. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

It might not be that easy.

The device Red Queen uses to "reincarnate herself" works by creating new dream universes.

The fact that people are interacting with her doppelgangers is just a testament of the ability to move from dream to reality like any other dimensional jump.

To paraphrase one of the Traveler clan in Young Heroes in Love "We aren't limited to making portals between space. We can make portals in time, reality, and life itself too."

I would assume that Time Trapper Paul would think of having Red Queen making a dream universe for him to slip Mandate Earth into if it was easier than his original plan.

29. Gantradies

Gantradies Not too sore, are you?

to be specific, he's desperately seeking, by my understanding, a forlorn-hope of finding a way to restore his timeline as an actual stable parallel like the others we've seen, not as a rapidly-degenerating quasi-universe (which i suspect is the single biggest complication here-a "mere" copy-paste job, as well as only making COPIES of the people he cares about, would.... likely rapidly degrade all over again-the "save" point he'd have was almost all the way down the tubes to start with-even with a copy-paste, he'd be needing some way to radically edit/alter an entire universe to fix the energy/matter leakage/drain issue..)
    not necessarily seeking a simple overwrite/casual murder of a few trillion innocents...

the odds arent GREAT from what i understand, and taking that into account its kinda strange how irrational Brainiac 5 is about the offer of an negotiated alliance- it'd get him an ally with matching/superior tech/temporal mojo to help protect HIS timestream (its making me think of the old STO morality of time travel thing-my feel is, in any universe, there's no TRUE timeline, only YOURS and others-any even chain is equally valid)
    , and would.in theory, require a tiny/minimal investment on his part barring the TT dumb-lucking into a workable method- and even then he'd be involved/ at the frontlines to minimize potential harm-
    major gain considering his entire reality just BARELY escaped being erased, even if they survived/recovered, and very little cost- and even the investment helps make him and his safer by nudging the trapper away from damaging methods...
    maybe its the ego larger then his IQ rearing its ugly head again?

Last edited: May 12, 2020
  30. Threadmarks: Duplication (part 20)
    Mr Zoat

I really just want
    To go home

Grinner shrugs as the construct runic prison we tried to build fails, fracturing into fragments as Krona exerts himself. The only positive I'm taking from this brawl so far is that Krona isn't anything like as overpowered as I thought he'd be. Oh, he's tanking shots like a champ, but he's either sandbagging or something has weakened him, because aside from his multiprocessing I'd actually say that he's doing worse than Guy would have in this situation. Of course, the multiprocessing is-.

I catch a glimpse of a flicker of green light and send out a wave of orange, disrupting the filament he was using to flank us.

Multiprocessing is enough of a problem. It's like fighting a team of Lanterns who can work in perfect concert.

More rings fly out of the hole near Krona, green ones this time. Krona spots them and lashes out, strands of green light illuminating the sky as they're all-. All but one is destroyed. That one takes evasive action, weaving around Krona's swings before heading towards one of the unarmed versions of me who had been keeping his head down.

He clenches his fists.

"Fuck off."

"The Lantern will don the ring."

"The Lantern is alone in his own head for the first time in years and the Lantern is happy not to have to deal with the psychotic Qwardian knockoff."

"Sounds like there's a story there, but we need the firepower."

He stiffens slightly, then sags. "Right." He takes a deep breath, and then holds out his right hand.

Towards Krona.

"I'll take his, then."

Krona's right hand vibrates, and the Guardian stares at it in disbelief for a moment before firing a hurricane of constructs and energy rays at the-. That's an Anti-Green Lantern ring!

Yellow's eyes light up as he tries to play with Krona's fears, while the rest of us frantically shift our efforts into countering Krona's offensive. Those like me who learned to make crumbler constructs destroy the larger attack constructs as fast as possible, while the Grinner and the handful of others who look like they've had some cranial work done work to deal with the rest.

And as I throw a potent enough emotional attack at Krona to try and throw him off his game, it occurs to me:

We all used to be one person, or something very close to the same person.

That's why using us like this worked in the first place; why Krona brought us all together.

And while we're different people, our core desires are much the same as a result of our shared twenty nine years of life and… Two separate.

"YES!"

A ring slips free from Krona's finger-.

And flies over to the Jade part of the tuning fork.

"No! Damn it! Come on!"

Krona isn't in a direct line between us and the opposite tine, but still, it's a minor miracle that none of the women have died so-.

A hand punches through the case and grabs onto the ring, the owner's clothing-. A Jade who got trained by Alan? Ironic and.. plausible, if the situation in Gotham were a little different.

"Illustres to Lantern Nguyen." And I can't deny the hope and love that surge in my own heart as I say it. "Please evacuate the other yous from the tuning fork."

She pulls herself free, takes a second to try and understand what's going on, then starts working.

I need to try and talk to her about that later.

I fire a volley of newly-fabricated Crumbler rounds at Krona, more to try and keep him off balance than with any hope that they'll actually hit. Another aspect of his parallel processing ability: I can't keep track of everything we're throwing at him. The whole region around Vanishing Point is a kaleidoscope of constructs, and he's meeting every assault… Not perfectly, or we'd be dead. But well enough that I don't think that we're pulling ahead.

"FINALLY!"

Anti-Green snatches the golden ring out of the air and puts it on his right middle finger. His costume changes immediately, the harsh curves of the Anti-Green sigil replaced by the smoother lines of the Gold Lantern Corps.

"This is not permit-."

Green's eyes glow as he surrounds the anti-green ring in a vice construct and crushes it before conjuring a huge battering ram construct and sending it smashing through everything between him and Krona! Krona's eyes widen very slightly as he sets himself to receive the impact, his rings glowing brilliantly as he's forced to focus his will on a single object!

I take the opportunity to close my eyes and feel the desires of all of those around me. As I suspected-. A couple don't fit quite.. right-. That's another Clayface, what-? No, never mind. Our desires and drives-.

"I see. Yes, that could work."

The yellow lights from Yellow begin.. feeling the rest of us out, just as I'm doing. My still extant nihilophobia, my long since cured fear of heights… Traits we all share. And by that same token he doesn't try to shield his desires, his drive to build a civilisation and shelter his people.

And those desires and fears are a harmony, a part of the song of who we are. Not enough of me have the same level of spiritual awareness to do anything so beautiful as a white light blast but nonetheless as we open our eyes our constructs become more focused. Our methods more harmonious and our attacks catalysed by the avarice and fears of all of us.

Krona is forced to lift his left hand away from blocking the battering ram to intercept-.

"-kill the midget bastard!"

A Red Lantern-. No, that's Red! Flies through the hole, followed a moment later by Indigo and Black! Red doesn't bother communicating, he just flies to a position behind Krona and unleashes a torrent of blood red flame. Indigo's ring glows as well, but I'm assuming that he's doing something a little less direct. A-. Koriand'r variant flies through after them and she's picked up.. Ghia'ta's ring from somewhere, and she's taking shots of opportunity at Krona whenever she sees an opening.

Krona's cringing, but I'm really not sure-.

"Allow me."

Time Trapper rises from Vanishing Point station, pushing back his hood to-.

Oh.

The Time Trapper me raises his right hand and a blue ring flies through the portal and lands on his right index finger.

"Let us finally draw this to a conclusion. Krona? Begone."

For a fraction of a second I feel his desires, somehow… They feel different, but that fraction of a second of communion is enough for our constructs to merge-. Not quite in perfect harmony as Koriand'r is stuck providing the violet, but with a flash of white

Krona's gone.

Last edited: May 12, 2020